Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bussed to my parents' place where I stored it for the winter, reviewed the de-Winterizing steps, broke out the Clymer, etc. Actual work will start tomorrow if Can Tire is open. I really wish I had a garage at my apartment. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Remembered that the engine will start better when the gas is switched on. :doh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took 'er in to swap out the tires, so hopefully those woes will be over. Forgot to ask for an ETA like a dumbass.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took various parts off and put them back on again, discovering a nicely bent bolt holding the right exhaust on. gently caress, have to go get a replacement and also check the left side just in case I need 2.

Drained the Reserve to check the condition of the gas, looked fine to me, then put it back in. Then finally got the cover out and covered 'er up for the inevitable rain that's coming. Grabbed the left side body cover to re-glue the peg that's been broken since forever.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got it to a shop to check the carb situation, and by got was it running like hell off the stop lights by the time I got there. I blame the traffic for overheating my little air-cooled baby.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got it back from the shop yesterday and immediately took 'er out for a spin. Was heading to check out a store in another city, but missed my turn and ended up at some subdivision right near the Lake. So I parked the bike, walked down to the water to see what's what, took a picture of the Pickering Nuclear Plant, and then decided it would be a smart idea to head back into town, as the promised "scattered showers" definitely looked like they were coming fast & furious. Made it into the parking garage by the restaurant I was meeting some friends at, totally missed the rain, and rode back high & dry after dinner.

Here be the Plant (lousy cell pic)

Went out again today to look for said store, got there at it was shut down, so I headed back. The predicted "scattered showers" dropped a couple of drops on me just before I pulled into some strip mall to grab some well-timed lunch. Ate lunch while watching it rain, came out after it was done, wiped down the seat, and headed back into town in the sun.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had the most :argh: day. Started with fixing the egregious headlight outage problem I discovered Tuesday (fuse didn't blow, one of the ends' solder just let go), then giving the chain a good clean & lube. Topped up the battery cells with water.

Then cue spending at least 30 minutes tracing wires, testing bulbs with 9V batterys, checking voltages and switches, trying to figure out why my tail light works but the brake lamp doesn't. Looks like it's some diode box that's loose near the fusebox. Give it a click, and Bob's my bloody uncle. Cue dancing!

Got it all back together and headed off to a Canadian Tire to check on a saddlebag/tank bag combo 8ender clued me into. Get there, they have both separate but not the combo. Oh well. Go to get a new headlight, they don't have any of those either. Go to get new sparkplugs, and I forgot to write down the kind I needed. Argh.

Get back to parking lot, check if brake light's still working: NO. WTF? Now I'm a bit pissed off. Ride off to another Canadian Tire, get headlamp, try to do a quick check in the parking lot with the brake light, no idea, go home PO'd.

Take headlight off, try to put new one on, and it's the wrong kind for my bike. Oh well. Fiddle and prod with the rear to see WTF is causing my brake light failure, do something, now it's working! Put bike back together, go inside and eat dinner.

Get geared up after dinner, check brake light: success! Take a bunch of tools with me anyway, head back to Canadian Tire to return headlight and get new spark plugs (I finally wrote the model number down!). Return poo poo for refund, get sparkplugs and feeler gauges, head into parking lot. Check brakelight: NO. WTF?

Rummaged around with the seat & side panel off, determined diode box is fine, it looks like the wire harness going to the back that's just under the seat is rubbing itself loose. Get it working and give it some slack, everything's hunky-dory. Go for a cruise down Rosedale Valley Road, which is a nice little ride in the trees, then go blasting around the city for a while, every once in a while checking the brake light: no problems.

So tomorrow will be new plugs day, then if I have time I'll try to figure out why it seems to be running so poorly after getting the carbs worked on just recently. :iiam:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode down to see my parents for Father's Day, and we just watched the new Top Gear episode.

Ride down was great, mostly sunny day after nearly 4 straight days of rain, tonnes of bikes out on Highway 7 (my usual route), and lots of classic cars: Model A, E-Type Jaguar convertible, some 40s/50s pickups and sedans, pair of Fiat Spyders; awesome!

And holy hell was I glad I picked up some ear plugs, they're definitely going to be a more regular part of my kit for longer rides.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried to out-guess a thunderstorm, and lost. I hate streetcar tracks as it is, wet ones just increase the amount of suck.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Awesome to hear, really looking forward to the pics!

Me, I left the bike at home and drove to Niagara Falls with a friend, saw tonnes of bikes out and about, mostly big rear end cruisers & tourers. Finally had some nice weather for it!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a look at the sparkplug wires again, used a bit of dielectric compound on the wires and plug ends, and tightened them up. Warmed it up a bit to check the oil, I guess I was a bit low. Added 300ml.

Then took 'er out to gas up and go for a little ride before dinner, which ended up lasting almost 2 hours. :) Hard to tell what's going on with the weather these days, but if tomorrow morning's good, I'm going to try to ride out to where I was going on Thursday when I cacked out. Either that or give 'er a bit of a wash.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cleaned & lubed the chain, checked the tire pressure, filled 'er up with gas. Am now printing up maps for a trip up to a friend's cottage, GoogleMaps says 237km, so I'm leaving before rush hour starts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Celebrated 1 year of membership in the world wide Cycle Asylum. :3:
Although I bought it on September 29, I figure October 4 is the proper anniversary, since that's when my insurance and plates and MTO paperwork was all made official. I didn't go out on the 4th cuz the weather sucked.

So I strapped on the tankbag, loaded the iPod full of Boston's first 3 albums, and went for a run out to the Mississagua Lego store:

And got something that was a bit too big to fit in the bag:

And if the weather's good this weekend, I'll be heading off to my folks' place for Thanksgiving, just like I did last year (although last year it was gorgeous weather). If I do I'll give 'er a good wash & polish.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Headed down to my parents' place on Saturday for Thanksgiving, and after getting stuck in traffic in town for almost 30 minutes after leaving the gas station, said "gently caress it" and went on 400-series highways for the first time (427 and 401). Got a bit chilly but I was making up for lost time. Headed back home today on the same route, made it back in 1:20; definitely need to take the winter boots if it's under 10C, hands were a bit chilly, but everything else was good for the most part.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OrangeFurious posted:

Excuse my :fsmug: but what are 400 series highways and where is Thanksgiving in October?
Basically like Interstates.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jdonz posted:

Post some pics of the Lego when its built, I'd love to see it.
Sorry it took so drat long, I had the thing finished the day after I picked it up. It's a great model, BTW, V-4 POWER!

The instructions include a 2nd model that's a hardtail cruiser, which I might build a while later. The adjustable tension on the shock is pretty fargin' cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Washed, waxed & winterized 'er, and put her away for 'til Spring.

If anyone around the Great Lakes wasn't out this last weekend, you suck! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found it on Google Street View!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Checked the tank for the results of the POR-15 tank lining, and it's coming away from the sides by the tank hump. 4 days waiting for nothing, and today's the last nice day for around a week. :sigh:

Time to decide out if I should flush the liner out and get going with the oil & filter change and ride it home, or leave it here at my folks' place and order another kit and try again.

And I *really* wanted to get mobile ASAP after Easter.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally renewed the plate sticker (expires this Friday, oops!), got it back from the shop, and started taking it apart to clean the carbs. This should be amusing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got the carb boots figured out, slapped it together, took it out for a fill up and Italian tune-up, changed the oil & filter, washed & waxed 'er, and took it down to the LCBO to grab a celebratory beer or two to have while watching the hockey playoffs. I was on some county roads and revving up to 5-6000 before shifting, sounded great!

Still a few things to tinker with later, but as far as I'm concerned, it's ready to roll.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took 'er out for the first time in a week and half for a quick grocery run & fill up. It's been overcast the last 2 days so I swapped in the clear visor, only for the sun to come out as soon as I'd left the gas station. And gently caress me if there weren't any decent parking spaces near me when I got home; I hope the people I parked between are good drivers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found out how many 500ml cans of beer make a single level in the tank bag: 8.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Spare me the hippie bullshit 'a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. Size matters. Just not engine displacement.

That's why true enthusiasts have kick starters!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Ola, we miss your sweet Nordic pics. :(

Marv Hushman posted:

- Adjusted the chain, which was roughly 1" out of spec. Half a hash mark brought it back.
- More undercarriage degunking--found a buried grease fitting for the swingarm. Maybe I should like...use it or something.
Sounds like my weekend! Cleaned & lubed the chain on Thursday, and noticed it looked a bit loose. Went out to see my folks for the Canada Day long weekend. Washed & waxed it Sunday, then did the proper thing and tightened up the chain, much better! Probably could have down an extra half turn of the screw. Found the pair of swingarm grease fittings as well, must do something about them very soon.

Blasted back home on the highway in 34C heat. It was a bit hot in the perf leather but I don't think I'd want to go 100+km/h in the mesh.

Still haven't heard back from the store about the new headlight bucket, must call them tomorrow and ask WTF is going on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Pulled the cluster to do some spider eviction, contact cleaning and bulb replacement. I was a bit confused as to whether I'd replaced these bulbs before, but no longer. I would have remembered dismantling THE ENTIRE UNIT to perform the task. Had some internal housing breakage due the PO hitting pavement with it. Used some 3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive to get it back together well enough to stay stable and light-tight.

Bulbs were fused to the connectors, connectors were fused to the housings. Tremendous pain to get to the stage below, but Eiko Eiko to the rescue. 194s are replacements for the stock Stanley 158s.

Borrowed from my turntable restoration bag o' tricks to spiff up the housing. Couple passes with aluminum polish in this case. You just want to cut the haze and get the material to pop naturally--no comparison between doing it right and dipping it in a gallon of Armor-All:
drat, that looks great! I've been thinking about replacing the rather dim bulbs in my cluster, but there's more important things to be done.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found out that when transporting loose cans & bottles of beer in the tankbag the caps of the bottles can sometimes run against the bodies of the cans, creating weak spots. These weak spots will then cause the beer to leak all over the inside of the tank bag, the magnet mounting pad for same, and the gas tank and side panels of the bike itself.

But it's a drat good stout as it turns out! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Grease is The Time and 3rd Bass and B. Ocean...
I can get behind that, as I need to check my swingarm next time I'm down there.

Did a quick trip out to my parents' place last weekend and replaced the broken headlight bucket with a new one & new headlight that came along in the package. While figuring out the insanity of the wiring harness that somehow gets stuff in behind the headlight, I noticed that the L and R turnsignal wire were handily labeled. Checking the actual wiring diagram, they were actually swapped around! So they were right and wrong at the same time.

I noticed the new headlight had an extra, orange, light in there, and didn't quite know what to make of it. Checked the wiring diagram, and sure enough, there was a spare brown wire on the harness after I got everything else connected. So I connected it up, and now I have a front parking light! The new headlight is nothing to sneeze at either, much brighter than the old one.

Plus I swear my horn sounds better.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out on a grocery run, and got a little rained on here and there over the journey. Played a bit of follow-the-leader with a guy on a great looking R100RS.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Poison...poison...tasty fish!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thursday: had the day off, rode it out to my parents' place in preparation for winterizing. Figured I'd take advantage of a guaranteed nice sunny day rather than risk waiting til Saturday in case it rained.

Had to flip over to reserve while going 110kmh on the highway, that amused me a bit. I usually top up before heading out there but didn't bother this time because I'd filled up fairly recently.

Got there, went for a ride to fill up and dump the stabilized in, rode around a bit, then headed back to their place for dinner, then got on the bus and headed home.

Saturday: bussed out there again, picked up a new cover and gave 'er a good wash & polish & finished off the winterizing. Chatted for a bit at the bike store with the cashier, she says she rides 'til it snows. :cool:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saturday: started 'er up, changed the oil, finally lubed the grease fittings on the swingarm.
Sunday: washed her, finishing the rinse as the rain started coming in. Had lunch, waxed & polished her up, waited for the rain to stop. Rode home in my winter gear in the sun since that's all I had on hand! Thought I was going to sweat to death, but having the jacket 1/4 unzipped and highway speeds kept me cool and alert.

This is the latest I've gotten my bike out of storage so far, just some weird conflicts in April, and my own laziness not going out on the 7th when the weather was perfect.

Time to get the parts & equipment list together and get riding!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out in the morning, expecting to ride into work on a beautiful day, and started checking tire pressures.

Front: a psi or two low, no biggie.
Back: uh...nothing? That's can't be right.

Come back with the pump, put in about 40 psi, and pull off the pump: Pssssssss.

Goddamnit. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took it to the shop to get the rear tire fixed, finally.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

well... technically the bike isn't MINE but my buddy and I did work on it.

also it technically wasn't today, it was sat/sun (still within the span of 14 contiguous hours though)

OMG so clean! :allears:

You have no idea how much I want to go at my CB400T with a jar of polish and the small brushes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found an awesome new route to work this morning. I had taken part of the home route last Friday when I was coming from a different office, so today decided to try it both ways. Got there in just under 30 minutes, when my usual route is about 45: barely any traffic heading north in the morning, and I was quite amazed considering I left much later than I usually try to. Time isn't so much a thing with me as much as lovely traffic, and although there's a big pinch point on the way home, it beats the hell out of the crap I usually face on the other route.

I'm sure that'll all change in September when school opens, but I can enjoy it while I can! :D

Also, stopped at a light, I saw some cool dude on some funky custom trike (most likely a Campagna T-Rex) turn left onto my street, going past me. I gave him the thumbs up, and he responded in kind.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 26, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took 'er out for a ride down to one of the better liquor stores to get some funky beer, and found my new favourite corner in the city:

Stay in right hand lane on Dupont, hard left onto Avenue Road's right lane, then quick right onto Macpherson then quite left onto Marlborough and hard right at the turn to keep on it.

Then futzed about with my ColorTune plugs, just to see what it was all about. Kinda neat!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Hold the phone! Mr. Greenjeans was brought back from the dead to run a chain of restaurants?

it was the Hare Krishnas in league with New Zealand expats.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found a voicemail on my cell from my insurance company, saying that my policy that expires tomorrow needs to paid in full by Friday if I wish to renew it with them. Even though I sent in my direct deposit authorization info a couple of weeks ago :confused:

Looks like I got a call to make first thing tomorrow morning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Used the RunKeeper app set to "Other" to time and measure my commute home after work :v: Turns out to work like a charm, and I made great time to boot: 38 minutes for 18km.