Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Still riding the poo poo out of the R90.

OK so pick was yesterday but so what? I've put about 2,000 miles on this since November and can't wait to do more. There is a crazy dirt track event for all classes of bikes, from sport to moped, coming up and I'm gonna put around on this just for fun. I might actually swap some knobbies on the bitch for a bit more control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The event is near Central Florida. It's the Woodsman Cup, just a small locally sponsored thing that sounds fun as hell. Racing happens on a 1/4 mile groomed flat track.

Here are a bunch of Groms tearing poo poo up from a previous event.
http://youtu.be/L6HCgLdkHjE

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I managed to kill a tube today.

Great timing too since there isn't a spare to be had for at least 2 days and my Woodsman Cup is Saturday morning. Guess there's always next year... :cry:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Homemade bleeders are generally the best.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Meanwhile in Florida, it's been in the 80s all week and I've been without a bike since March 26 because the local dealer can't seem to source a loving tube that fits the motorcycle they sell.

I've broke down and ordered one from Cycle Gear and will bring it to the dealer if they don't get their own within 2 days.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Removed side reflectors from forks
Installed plate relocation kit
Installed swing arm plugs

I like the way this is coming together.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not so much what I did to it, more of what I did for it - no more sitting in the rain for my costly euro bike.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

I sincerely hope your bouncy castle stays put.

For now the bike stays on top until I got some really loving long lag bolts and screw that fucker to the ground.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

semon demon posted:

Today I fixed up some rust on my saddlebag mounts, re-tightened my lovely cyclegear barend mirrors, and hooked up my beautiful new ram mount! Ordered a bunch of new plastics to replace my busted rear end ones too.

After being a retard and leaving my bike out most of the summer with some plastic tank protector film poo poo on it, its developed some nasty gunk. Took them off and there are still lines and deposits. Anyone dealt with this stuff before? Is there any hope for removing it?

RWB VFR?

That looks like some fungal growth or something. I second that you should try a clay bar after first giving a good washing. Also, get a bike cover if it's gonna sit for a while.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jesus that sounds like a poo poo day

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Put a few small scratches in the tank. As proof that no good deed goes unpunished, I picked up the goggles and helmet from a fellow in our group who did not have them securely fastened. Only place to put them is around mirror which left it hanging against the tank. O well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oaVemyDytY

edit: goggles, not googles

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 21, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not sure if it's related but there was a wiring recall on the VFR800. Might want to check into that.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

They are a lot more white than incandescent bulbs. I actually much prefer the LED for the color and light output.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hate winter. Riding to work in 50F weather is a bit too cool.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I tried explaining this to my shitbird former roommate and even offered to fix it so he didn't keep blowing headlights at night.
He didn't listen.
He got hit by a car.

Motorcycles are dangerous! :byodood:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Coydog posted:

My condolences. :( One of the more frustrating risks of riding. At least your tire looked like it needed replacing soon, and you have tubeless so you didn't need it towed or whatever happens to flats on tubed bikes oh god

They get towed. It happened to me twice last year.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 24, 2016

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

How do you like the nineT? I like boxer engines and shaft drives and the nineT just looks awesome/sexy- did you compare it to a r1200r?

I never tried the r1200r, but the R Nine T rides well. I ride pretty hard and the brakes and suspension do well. I can see super sport riders finding it a bit soft, but overall I can throw it around or just cruise. It's pretty great.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I flushed my brake fluid on the R Nine T. The rear fluid was quite dark but the front fluid was still looking good. BMW recommends a full flush annually, not sure if that's needed but the experiences techs also say to do it.

I'm not sure if I did a full flush but I'll assume that 2/3 quart (625mL) is enough to clear the front lines. Less than half that was needed to clear the rear.

Interestingly, while pumping the fronts (valve closed) I did get a few bubbles come out of the master cylinder reservoir. They must have been trapped there since delivery because my brake lever feels a bit firmer now.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Scuffed the gently caress out of the valve cover. Was completing a U turn in my street after a quick test ride, ran over some leaves piled against the curb, slipped and dropped it.

Damages are $300 for a new cover, a pair of jeans, and a scratched up knee.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Z3n posted:

I hated the industrial bullshit feel of the BMW boxers

What does this even mean?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

BMW boxers are like big luxury car engines. They might get you there smoothly and comfortably but they're not gonna handle great or be a lot of fun. And the modern ones are so tall and heavy as to be just an annoyance. The older ones were at least low to the ground so they felt better at low speed and for people under 6'4".

I hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but the R Nine T really isn't like that at all and I think it performs better as a sport bike than my VFR800 ever did.

I did drive a R 1200 R once and hated it. The R Nine T feels so complexity different. Maybe it's the exception to the rule?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

AncientTV posted:

It's weird seeing something I made in someone else's picture :3:

I feel the same way whenever I'm on Facebook and see my son with his "new daddy." loving restraining order.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

echomadman posted:

Not today but last saturday i put bar risers and a new chain and sprockets on my DRZ.
Then later that day i took off from a petrol station with my sidestand down, got to a roundabout and was unable to turn left, so i went straight over it at 55mph and blew both my tyres. I think on any other type of bike i'd have come out of that much worse.
Video of my old chain vs new and my back wheel post misadventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4spHXHoNF0

This is why a side-stand kill-switch is important.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My rat-rear end track bike started overheating in traffic. Got home and checked the radiator fan, it's getting no power. Check fuse and it's good. Check fuse plug and it's dead.

Now I get to chase an electrical gremlin. Joy.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

With some help I set the sag, and adjust the suspension on my twenty year old CBR this weekend. Over all it went well, but the front forks still feel like poo poo. If I get a good handful of the front brake, I'm bottoming out every time.

Now, I really have no idea the last time that shocks have been rebuilt. I do know that the oil was changed, but that's all. I've gone ahead and ordered a seal in bushing kit to rebuild the front forks. Do you guys think that would be sufficient or should I go ahead and purchase upgraded springs too?

I honestly have very little knowledge when it comes to motorcycle suspensions, so any suggestions are welcome.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

They're standard forks, not inverted.

I found some RaceTech springs, but not sure what I want. I'm about 175 lbs, do no clue how that converts to spring specs.

RaceTech Fork Spring 1.00 KG/MM F/ Buell Duc Honda CBR VFR Kaw Suz Triumph Yam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LCEYAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1fjezbKY81DCB

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 8, 2017

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thanks. Just ordered a set based on my load.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Gorson posted:

F2? F3? F2's are damper rod forks, F3's are cartridge, not sure if the model number and spring rates would be the same between them. Some F2's were modified with F3 internals, a common mod back then. No telling what you might find when you dig into those forks. That said, FWIW I run .85 Racetechs with GVE's on my street-only Hawk GT (damper rod) and it is just about right. I'm 190lbs.

It's an F3 and it's a track bike. I hope their website tool is accurate. Guess I'll find out soon.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So long unneccassary VTEC

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Finally put the rest of the plastics (minus one cover) on the Track Bitch. Also, cleaned and oiled the chain. Tomorrow the front suspension gets rebuilt

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Next Saturday is the day. I also managed to have the bike dyno tested for HP yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMsgUzgnEMg

That's supposedly rear wheel power, which means I'm probably close to 100 at the crank. I think the dyno was calibrated too, a new Goldwing was putting down 100 at the rear wheel which makes (according to Honda) 118hp.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 14, 2017

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Well I did my font forks and it rides like a completely different bike. I only wish I had time to redo the back before next weekend's track day.

Here is my setup for getting back and forth to the track.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yup, got it from Craigslist. It's pretty badass.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Somehow I broke my exhaust. The weld immediately after the cat completely failed. Thankfully i still have warranty left.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Love those rims

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there a point to having two fuel tanks like that?

I'm guessing they're linked but two caps so you can fill on either side (as it's not center).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Haha holy poo poo filling both is required?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually something I did last week, finally upgrading the most important bit of equipment on my bike:

For reference, the OE Ducati horn sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubc5trvvK0

I then waited almost a week for a chance to try it out in anger and had to deal with an almost unheard-of outbreak of non-shitness on the part of London's drivers. Finally got a chance except even then it was a stretch as I'd long noticed he was there, and only found out later the microphone cable had fallen out so I only got lovely onboard sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1PptEz8Cg

Ah well, it works. If the weather's good at the weekend I'll have to head up to the West End to find tourists to scare, except it's the wrong time of year.

What horn did you get?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Invalido posted:

e-bakfiets

You're in NL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Gonna start a shoe company called Helmeti