Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Ahhhh... got my KLR650 up and running today. Turned over a few dozen times then fired right up.

This fast on the heels of striking out trying to get my fiance's Super Sherpa going.. turn turn turn turn.. no fire. Has spark, so I guess it'll be something carb related. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Today I fixed a long-standing issue with the carb on my KLR. I shimmed the needle jet and adjusted the pilot mixture screw as well, so now it rides and pulls much better than it used to.

I also popped open the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars to find..... none! It was pretty damned empty, just a bit around the corners. I bought some, and filled it up, good times. I had heard the brakes on the KLR were a little spongy, but that was getting ridiculous. I think I may still do stainless steel line on the front to augment a horrible front brake.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

You probably need to flush and bleed the system. The brakes on the KLRs I've ridden have always been decent as long as the system was in good shape. And SS lines aren't going to make it any better if the lever is mushy. It'll reduce flex and improve initial bite, but it's not going to do much of anything if there's air in the system. I've discovered that most people have never changed their brake fluid and as a result, when they change their lines and are forced to flush the fluid they're amazed at the difference it makes.
Yeah, though bleeding brakes scares me a bit. The old fluid is definitely gross though, it's rust colored (I could see it swirling around in the reservoir) which I can't imagine is good.

Realistically, the KLR needs (in no particular order)
1) brake fluid flush/change
2) oil change
3) coolant flush/change
4) replace chain/sprockets

I'm probably going to go up a tooth in the front to stretch it out just a little more for road riding. I've actually heard of people keeping different front sprockets for road/trail riding (specific sizes that don't require a chain change though). I don't have anything to hold the bike up apart from the kickstand though, so I may pay my local bike mechanic to do that.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

It's a dirtbike with a cradle frame, so you could toss it up on just about anything. I wouldn't try doing the front sprocket without some form of impact wrench, though. It's a huge pain in the rear end otherwise. My 80$ or so electric one (Kawasaki Heavy Industries Represent!) is fantastic for anything bike related.

Gearing changes can really change a bike's character. Lotta fun.
You don't think I could get it off with a half-inch drive socket wrench?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I hit 6,666.6 miles on the devilbikeKLR out in the middle of the woods. I was just following a dirt road to a 'dead end' sign, but the road clearly continued in the woods, so i clearly continued down it. Well, round about halfway down a semi-steep hill covered in large loose rock, I figured I should stop and scout ahead so I don't end up at the bottom of something I can't get back out of.. So I wander down this hill, and I'm standing at a trail intersection in the middle of the woods when these two riders come out of nowhere.

Man, I will tell you what, watching these two guys (whom I chatted with for a while, very nice guys) on their TTR250 and WR250 illustrated to me how much of a hog the KLR is in anything besides the lamest of class-VI roads. Completely out-classed (not that I was surprised by this, but it was just an in-my-face illustration of it). They offered to ride with me out another way (after one of the guys said he had a KLR and HE wouldn't take it down the route I was scouting), so I rode with them. A couple nasty water holes, interesting inclines and miles of loose rock later, the inevitable happened.. I hit a free-standing, 7" diameter rock as I was coming off another obstacle, and it rolled out from under my tire, as the bike slid, I grabbed a little too much throttle (probably in reaction to the almost-falling) and yanked the clutch in to keep the bike from squirting off the trail... and *thump* down I went. No pain, no problems.. though, a KLR with a JUST filled 7 gallon gas tank is heavy as a motherfucker. I lifted it by myself though, which impressed the guys. I looked at what we were facing (another nasty, technical uphill mess) and said that I really appreciated what they'd done for me thus far, but I don't think that was within my capabilities. They said they respected that, and were glad I understood my limitations. One of the dudes followed me back to the intersection, and I preceeded back whence I came. Headed back, I grabbed this shot with my iphone, having hit 6,666.6.

Quite the afternoon. Now to go look at the WR250's. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

n8r posted:

A post like this is exactly why the offroad riders that post in CA tend to be a bit anti big dualsport.
Why? Because I had my KLR out of it's element and it couldn't hold it's own against a TTR or WR? I don't think people should be anti-dualsport if all they'd like to do is explore dirt roads.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I put my bellypan and flyscreen on the Speed triple, so it basically looks like this:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I rode my Speed for an hour or so this afternoon and realized that I really, REALLY need warmer gloves for early/late season riding, holy crap.

The buttons on it are having problems though, so I have to figure out if I can a) fix the buttons or b) how outrageously priced a new pod one would be.

edit, yeah, it's bad, $1200 on bikebandit. :(

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 23, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I finally got around to getting the battery out of my Triumph. I'm rather glad my wife and I paid for heated storage this season too, it was only 60-65 in there, but considering it was 20 outside, it's vastly superior to a) my buddies garage, b) my dads barn, or c) my mother-in-laws house.

Also, I took the gauge cluster off the Triumph, because the trip/reset buttons are broken, and I have to get someone to solder on the new switches I bought. I was going to try to do it myself, but with zero expertise in soldering, I figured that probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I bought myself a new Pilot Power front tire to match the new rear (which hasn't been put on yet). Coming up soon will be a new sprocket/chain.

Anyone have recommendations for good places to buy chains/sprockets from? The triumph parts site has one for like $200.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

If vortex makes a kit for your bike, you can order a set from Schad at speed addict cycles. If timeliness is a concern, I'm not sure how often he does orders from vortex...but he may be a couple bucks cheaper. I'd give him a call/e-mail and ask him what prices and times would be like, he may have them in stock. Mention that Conan recommended you.

I've heard good things about sum of all parts. Which Triumph?

http://www.sumofallparts.net/product_results.aspx?keyword=triumph
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a ring sometime in the not too distant future. Time isn't really an issue, as the bike is in storage until April.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Fant has an Speed Triple. I got my parts from that site, they're nice and cheap and you get Vortex sprockets with an RK chain.
It looks like Vortex makes a rear sprocket, are RK's the ones to go with for chains?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Honestly, I haven't seen a huge difference between them. I've used DID, RK, and a couple of other random brands for chains, and Vortex, AFAM, and a few others for sprockets, and they all seem pretty much the same to me. I've heard a few people bitch about vortex wearing faster than other brands, but haven't had that problem myself, and there's a lot that can go into chain and sprocket wear, everything from maintenance to having it overtight.

As long as you're using a XO or similar type chain, you're pretty much good to go. I believe RK offers a 20k mile warranty on their chains, I've never had to use it.
Well, at this point, I can't remember if it's worn or not, but the chain is rusty from being outside prior to me buying it. It's clear the place I bought it from hit the outside of the chain with a wire brush, but the inside is still rusty. I figured it'd probably need replacement.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

If you're replacing the rear sprocket I'd replace the front one as well. This also gives you an opportunity to switch to a different width chain/sprocket set up. I went with 520 but then again my bike is only 600 CC. You could go with a 525 if you wanted.
Ahh, is that what that number was? I've seen "xxx conversion" or whatever all over the place without knowing what it meant. Advantages to a wider chain are? Just less wear due to surface area and stronger?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Most of the time, people go with the smaller chains for better acceleration for the holeshot. Less rotating mass == more HP to the rear wheel. I don't think it makes a big enough difference to justify it on anything but a trackbike. You'll also see more wear on a smaller chain.
So that's your kind way of saying 'it's cutting down the width, not up, retard'. Noted. ;) My current chain, if memory serves, is probably 5/8ths to 3/4ths of an inch wide, and I actually like the look of the wider chain, so I'll probably stick with that.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Handed off my gauge pod circuit board to have the three switches re-soldered by an EE friend-of-a-friend. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

The function/trip/reset buttons on my gauge pod were flaking out/non-functional, which is apparently a semi-common problem on some Triumphs. Basically, moisture gets inside the housing, and because those buttons are located at the lowest point of the gauge pod, the moisture affects them the most. Sure enough, when I pulled the pod apart, all three of the little switches had that white/blue corrosion that batteries get. There's also a couple hairline fractures in the housing plastic, which I'm probably going to try to epoxy closed. The gauge pod is $1200 from Triumph, and would screw my mileage all up because it can't be transferred, and this was, quite literally, a $10 fix.

On the S3 forums a guy told us where to get replacement switches (for like $2 each) and he said they fit perfectly.

Apparently it's done already, and I'm getting it tomorrow. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

EvilDonald posted:

maybe look at drilling a little hole down there to let any moisture drain out, and potting the switches in some clear RTV.
Hmm.. this is quite a good idea, thanks. I'll probably do at least the RTV, and I may try to button the housing up better before drilling holes and see what happens. I don't ride in the rain much, but I'd rather not have the circuit board open to the outside any more than I have to.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

To illustrate a bit what I was talking about, here are a couple pictures. The three 'buttons' are on the bottom of the circuit board, which also happens to be the lowest point in the case, so naturally thats where the water sits.

The thing that leads to the water getting in are the cracks on the cover in the second picture. The one below the gas light is the bigger of the two, and it goes right down the side, which is annoying, because I can't epoxy the inside of it, because of how it fits into the lower half. I'll probably find some clear-drying epoxy and do it over the outside. The one closer to the display window can be sealed from the inside, though daylight is visible through that one as well. I'm actually kind of glad I can't ride right now, otherwise I'd probably rush through this.

It's also distinctly possible this bike just sat outside in the elements prior to me getting it, judging from the rust on the chain, which might have led to this little corrosion problem. It's also possible that since I always cover my bikes it wouldn't be another problem even if I didn't seal up the cracks, but for peace of mind, I'm going to anyway. Small problem, big :words:-y explanation.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Today I reinstalled my soldered gauges back on my Speed Triple, figuring it'd go one of three ways:

A) the gauges work fine, as does the bike
B) the gauges work the way they did before (busted buttons) and the bike works
C) something got soldered wrong, and bricked the gauges which gives me a 420lb paperweight.

I'm pleased to say that it was A).

After reinstalling everything, including the battery, I took it outside the storage unit to start it up (since it was 45 degrees) telling myself I was only going to start it. Then I started it.. and sat on it. 'BUT THATS IT' I told myself.. nope, couldn't help it. Sunglasses, jeans, sneakers and my alpinestars hoodie was my gear today, but I only went around for a few minutes, and hit no major roads. Man, it felt really good to get back out there, even for a few minutes. Now I just want winter gone. :(

I also took a few pics so I can figure out what the suspension is current set on, and I need to also check into when to read the coolant level, because it looked VERY low.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

ari.gato posted:

oooh pretty.
Thanks! One more because I <3 my bike. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

schreibs posted:

Thinking about doing the same for a Triumph Daytona 675...oh god talk me out of going to the dealership
They've really got some pretty good deals going, even so much that I was considering a new S3 or Daytona. The daytona is zero down/interest/payments for 6 months, the S3 is 5.9% APR and $1500 in triumph goodies. I HAVE A BIKE I LOVE MY BIKE oh god

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

xkem posted:

that is obscenely sexy! For my next bike I'm looking at a street triple myself, Ducati Monster or Agusta Brutale. Love the naked look but sports touring is looking like the way to go for long rides I wanna do...

Here's what I did to mine (I'm a complete noob), got brand new Gladius, removed shite silver fairings, replaced stupid drumstick pipe with IXIL GP-2 pipe (sounds awesome)

looking for new mirrors perhaps as well
Thanks! I like the changes you made, funny how a small change like pulling that very small plastic fairing thing off can change how a bike looks. The exhaust is neat too, it looks like it'd be loud as hell..

I checked out an MV Brutale, and due to these 'wings' they put in the tank (which you're supposed to tuck your knees under), I couldn't fit on in comfortably. My legs were just long enough that they just didn't quite fit. So if you're in the 6+ foot height category (which it looks like you may be), you might find them a challenge, though you might be alright if you drop the pegs a bit. The triple proved to be everything I was looking for, and I guess I never really looked too seriously at the Duc's because the power was down from what I was trading (Buell XB12) and the maintenance on the older ones scared me off (I wasn't looking newer).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

bung posted:

..Lots of brake issues..

This is the clacking noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBmw0yBa0w
That doesn't really sound normal to me, though I'm not expert in.. anything, really. Do they have any other motards on the showroom floor you could test to see if it does the same? A little googling doesn't turn up much in the way of clacking brake noise for your type of bike. What about unhooking the right caliper off it's mounting and seeing if it still makes the noise? My thinking is that since the caliper has been replaced several times, that's obviously not the issue, but maybe what it's being mounted to (or how it's being mounted) is? Maybe a bushing was left off or something, so you've got some metal-on-metal contact. Any type of 'snapping' noise really would unnerve me.

edit: what about having a buddy lay down next to it to really try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from? That's probably what I'd do for starters.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

If it IS the floating rotors, then why wouldn't the dealership take two seconds to say "Yeah, that's normal for your bike BECAUSE" and provide a quick explanation of floating rotors and how they work. I mean, just saying "yeah, that's normal" without any explanation is just ridiculous. Maybe people in general just don't ask 'why' as much as I do, but answering a question with "because." drives me crazy.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

I have the opposite problem. My speedo is reading 85 and people are passing me in the slow lane. I'd like to pick up a speedo healer but drat what a rip-off.
Back when I had my SV, I installed a bicycle speedo on it because I was sure it was way off. Very easy and cheap ($40 for the computer and $3 for rare earth magnets). You basically put the magnet somewhere onthe wheel rim, put the sensor that comes with computer in close proximity to where that magnet will pass as the tire rotates, measure the wheel circumference, input that into the computer, and you're off. Cheap, small (1"x2" wide) and as accurate as your tire circumference measurement. I may still have some pictures of the setup kicking around, if you're interested.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

Something like this? It looks pretty neat, though it might be kinda hard to read at a glance.

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna pick up the $100 Garmin soon (200 or 210 Model iirc), wire it into the bike and keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag. Don't those have a speedo function on them?
Most GPS have a speed readout, yeah, though IIRC it's usually pretty small and in the corner, so it might be tougher to read.

The one I used was this one, a Topeak V12. As I look online it's more like $35, but it's got a couple trip counters, a total mileage readout and a few other doodads. There's a wireless version too, for like ~$60 so you don't have to run the wire down to the little magnet reader dealie.

Here's the computer:

And here's how it looked on my bike. Pretty easy to read, and I think it actually had a light, too.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, average speed display. It has an automatic off, too, so it shuts down after like 5 minutes or so of inactivity. Also, it came with a mounting thing where you could easily pop the computer off the handlebar mount, so on cold nights or whatever it's easy to bring inside. It's powered by a watch battery too, if memory serves. Oh, and lastly, this speedo won't display over 99.9mph obviously.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, I may have to get one of those. Reading an analog speedo is just slightly annoying after two bikes with digital ones.
Yeah, it's a super cheap fix if you don't like analog gauges.

Here's the article I used as my template:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Installing_a_Sigma_bicycle_computer

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jesus christ. :(

I rode my bike, didn't hit anyone or get hit, and had an awesome saturday.
:(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Wife and I went for a 60 mile 2-up ride after we found out her winterizing 'didn't take', as the carbs are shitted up. We used stabilizer, but I don't think she put more than 4-5 miles (on a ninja 250) before putting it up, which means it was probably still working through what was in the lines.

*sigh*

I fuckin' hate carbs. and ethanol. and our incompetence.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I.. can't believe it. I got my KLR running. Well. I'm speechless, it feels like it's been forever.

When I took it out of storage last weekend, it was belching black smoke, and wouldn't stay running without constant throttle (like last year), would cough and sputter with the choke on, and was pissing gas out the overflow tube. I drove it home (10 miles or so), changed the oil (which it REALLY needed), lubed the chain, and tried it again. No more black smoke, but it still pissed fuel.

At that point, I realized that the float was likely stuck, which would cause the gas to come pissing out, as well as it to stall out at idle. With the gas still flowing into the carb from the stuck float, it would slowly flood the engine.

So fixing that (or dislodging some other issue while pulled apart) appears to have fixed it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Blaster of Justice posted:

That or your floats are just maladjusted. Did you adjust the closing height within specs?

Can you post a high resolution picture of your needle valves/float valves conical surface?

Did you "mouth-vacuum-test" your float valves?

We've got a fine carburetor thread in here that states that your float hight is insignificant. You should focus on cleaning your air screw. (dont!).
I didn't check the closing height, no.. but post cleaning, it no longer pisses gas, and it was fine prior to this. And I can't, unfortunately, as it's current tucked in for the night. :)

And I try to keep my mouth off any parts of my motorcycle.. but dare I ask what the test is? Just close the float and see if I can get any air through it?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Sharp_angus posted:

Finally got those loving warning stickers off my gas tank! Made the bike look so tacky, and I didn't need reminding all the time that riding is dangerous. I understood that when I bought the drat thing.

Anyways, had to peel the plastic off the top of each, soak the stickers in WD40, and begin scraping with an old credit card. Took forever :sweatdrop:
Step 1: Apply to sticker
Step 2: Allow to sit for 1 minute
Step 3: Gently rub sticker away.

Worth its weight in gold.

"Goo Gone" is more readily available and sucks 50 times more. Use Goof Off instead.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I seem to have especially vivid and memorable dreams after my alarm wakes me up, and I hit snooze, and this morning I dreamt my Triumph was stolen. It sucked. But then I woke up and felt this wave of relief as I realized it wasn't real.

I've dreamt that my STi and current Legacy GT were totalled or stolen, and now the Triumph. Guess it's a theme I'm worried about. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Radio-Controlled posted:

Oh HELL yes. I've been looking for a way to get those drat french warning labels off the fairing on my bike.... I assume this stuff won't gently caress up my plastics?
It's never ruined anything I've used it on, and I've used it on plenty of stuff. I'm not sure I'd leave it on there for a week, but if you let it sit for a minute and clean the plastic off afterwards, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AncientTV posted:

If you didn't see the first response, just buy generic brand lighter fluid. It's the same thing and waaaay cheaper.
Goof Off is like $5 a can and it lasts for years. I guess if you're living on saltines and water you might want to save the $2 and buy the lighter fluid.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AncientTV posted:

My local hardware store is on something then. $10 here.
Hmm.. Yeah, it's definitely not that much around here.. though I could see it being ridiculously expensive at a mom & pop. Normally I don't mind the "Mom & Pop Markup" but 100% markup is a bit excessive.

If you don't need it immediately, it's like $4.30 off amazon.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Spent $25 on a single 1 7/8" socket to get my back wheel off. It's huge!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

needknees posted:

Jesus what bike is that on? I thought my rear axle nut was huge and it's a 32mm... 1 7/8" is like 48mm :psyduck:
Triumph Speed Triple. In reality, it was a metric, and it was probably a 40/41mm, but it fit well enough thankfully.

New shoes are on tonight. Just beat the rain home on the new tires!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

oh, no one told you? Bikes are above the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Ola posted:

Today I did absolutely nothing to my ride. But I am more than half way through my 3 month suspension (license suspension that is, not an Öhlins graduate course). At least the weather has been quite crap and when it hasn't been crap I've been hiking in the mountains and getting in better shape.

:emo:
I must have missed it (I assume you've posted about it), but what happened to cause your license suspension?