Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took it to the polls to vote :canada:

But also finally installed my second fuse box and ran a 12v accessory wiring harness. 5v USB charger is my first, and over the winter I’ll get around to installing my heated grips for spring.

Unfortunately there’s no elegant way I found to run a USB line from my ram mount to the USB charger so right now it’s just a random collection of zip ties along my clutch cable and other wires. Made sure nothing binds when I turn the wheel and I’ll live for functional over beautiful on my dumb beater bike.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I put it in the shed for the winter :(

I mean it’s easy enough to take out if we get a warm weekend but still a mental bummer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

right arm posted:

installed these sequential signals / DRLs technically last night, but videoed them this morning:

not as obnoxiously bright as the lovely gif quality makes it, but they're way better than the original DOT bulbs and then the other LEDs I had installed a few months back

I have these on my 250 Ninja and they replaced some hideous flush signals the PO thought were "wikked sik". Fourteen dollars on amazon will buy me a bag of these and they're a worthwhile investment.

e: Actually mine are just lane change signals, the DRL is a neat touch.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 5, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like a Denali soundbomb

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, that is ......

uh ....

something :stonk:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got a package with a radiator grille, tank pads, and engine scuff covers....

For the bike I put into storage weeks ago :(

Now I get to stare at these all winter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t think the RAM fork mount was ever designed to work with my bike’s fork nut since it’s not just a straight hollow tube. I had to improvise a little.

The top part of the nut is an allen key way but then opens up into a circular shaft. I machined and tapped something that’ll fit into the circular shaft that I can epoxy in place and won’t rotate when I tighten the ram mount down. Kind of a pain in the butt but it was a fun excuse to learn to run a lathe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you planning on running it through an ignition relay? GPS sounds like just the kind of thing I'd accidentally leave running :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Replaced the RAM X Mount with a Quad Lock and case for my XS. Got pretty annoyed having to nudge my phone around to keep it from hitting my volume buttons so hopefully this is more usable. Definitely not worrying about my phone falling out, I’ll tell you that.

Am /slightly/ more worried about the vibrations transmitted to the phone since it’s now directly bolted to my fork stem, but don’t imagine it’ll add up to much more damage in the long run than the X mount.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Sorted out the wiring to look less poo poo:

Before:

After:

OK I think I recognize heated grips and charge-a-majig, what else you got? :haw:

Looks much cleaner though!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

3. Oxford Hot Hands removable heated grips with toggle switch on the handlebar to the right.

Oh! That’s why they look so familiar. Now looking at them I’m reminded that I got a set with my ninja 250 that i pulled off in my zeal to undo everything the PO had touched.

I should figure out how to rig these again for spring though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tried to install a pillion peg blanking panel set that I bought off AliExpress.

Shocking twist: cheap AliExpress garbage part doesn’t fit right

Steakandchips posted:

They're easy to install.

Sounds great, I’ll have to whip these on before spring! Thanks :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plot twist: In a fit of delirium, turns out Horse Clocks didn't even work on their own bike

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Decided to clean the carbs on the Ninjette this winter. Also signed up for a small engine repair course at the local community college. Hopefully at the end of this I’ll be in a position to put my carbs back together again in better shape than I found them.

To that end, today I started stripping parts off the rear in preparation to slide the tail forward to pull the air box to pull the carbs. Not fun in freezing temperatures so I’m taking it 15 minutes at a time over the next few weeks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe get some rubber strips or a small bungee cord and fashion a battery hold-down at least. Weird that the part that's supposed to be there is impeding your pillion seat installation though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

3d printed a peristaltic pump so I can hook it up to an ESP32 and oil reservoir to try and come up with a DIY automatic chain oiler because I have nothing better to do with my holidays :twisted:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a 3D printing thread? I kind of want to get into it but I know literally nothing about them

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

You bet!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're just trying to break each connection out into its own fused circuit then you can probably just replace the connectors with ones that fit. I don't know if that has any implications with regards to gauge and wattage etc, but it should be easy enough to do.

Or invest in a new fusebox I guess.

On my 250 I built a whole new "accessory" wiring harness similar to what you're doing, but I had the advantage of building literally everything from scratch so I just sourced connectors that fit from the getgo and wasn't really working with any manufacturer supplied connectors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Still sexy as h*ck

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Somewhat warm day so I popped into the shed to pull the carbs on my Ninjette. Shifting the airbox was about as annoying as I’d expected, plus “warm day” is still subjective so cold hands made it hard to do fiddly things.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mewse posted:

I used a hair dryer to get the air intake ducts back on my carbs - it worked quite well in our canadian weather to soften the rubber and get them malleable enough to stretch on to the intake

e: I've got the cheapest portable hair dryer that canadian tire sold at the time because I originally bought it to put up window film and contract it to get rid of wrinkles

Slavvy posted:

I use a heat gun on low but yeah, softening them up is everything, ideally you want to heat them before fitting as well so they harden after you do the clamps up for a perfect seal.

Never considered I’ll need to do this, and I bought a heat gun for shrink wrap on the ninjette earlier this year so that’s a great idea. Thanks!

Starting small engine repair course Monday, hope to learn all the fun things including cleaning my carbs. Making that my winter project.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve definitely learned to keep heat guns at arms lengths. Not for bike mishaps, thankfully, but the gun has claimed some plastic before. Thanks for the reminder!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

That one appears to have a tumor growing in its back

That's an awful way to characterize coydog :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Got a frame slider kit on my ZX-10. I didn't find many options online, especially no-cut, so went with a Shogun kit that also came with bar ends and swingarm spool sliders, I needed the spool sliders anyway for rear stand maintenance.

Man I just checked and the ZX-10 has OEM engine case sliders as an option but no frame sliders. I guess I'm a little surprised.

I picked up OES frame sliders for my 650 but I'm definitely not happy with the near-zero fairing clearance. If the bolt so much as wiggles during a drop the slider will do way more damage than the ground. They're perfect for a Z650 but for fairings it's a little iffy. Going to replace them with Kawasaki OEM this spring.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I believe that as gospel fact and at any significant speed I fully expect the plastic to shred, but the clearance on these is questionable enough that I'm wondering whether even a driveway drop would have some unintended consequences.

As it is I already laid down a small square of felt where the plastic slider almost contacts the plastic to avoid any friction wear through the clearcoat due to vibration or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guess who decided to fire up the bike for while forgetting he wrapped plastic sheathed tiedown chain around the headers in November?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmyeah, in retrospect something obvious I should have realized in November.

I wrapped it around the frame, headers, wheel, pretty much anything to annoy anyone trying to do anything but lift it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I popped a zerogravity double bubble windscreen on.

Installed R&G case covers. Turns out the right side case cover didn't fit precisely as there was one tab that existed on the engine that didn't have a corresponding cutout on the cover.

And the mystery tab

I tried to go easy with the hacksaw and make it look like a factory cut but you can only do so much. I might go in later with a dremel and clean up the rough edges but not entirely displeased.

Let's see, what else..

Oh and ... dropped it, slipping on gravel pulling it out of the shed :tipshat:

One of those drops where I'm valiantly fighting to keep it upright with all my bodyweight and it's more of a gentle lay down rather than an outright THUNK but still annoying. Nothing even remotely scratched but the frame slider which did it's job so no real complaints. Definitely need to tamp down the gravel around the shed though to keep from a repeat.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 17, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m trying to work my way through Fusion360 tutorials for same reason. Working on a brake modulator electronics housing :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love analog dials. So much. All digital makes me sad now :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Neat! I’ve got a fumoto just sitting here for after my first dealer service that I’m going to ask them to put in in lieu of the drain plug.

Though, uh, wonder what I’m going to do when I hit the first 1000 km +/- and they’re still closed for COVID.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 5, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please tell me twin round headlights? With the NACA ducts, that would be pure 80s sex.

Objectively the best headlight style.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ran the 250 a little today. Revs dip momentarily if I gun the throttle, it doesn't seem to return back to idle quickly at all. I don't know how much of this is that maybe I didn't give it enough time to warm up and how much of it was my amateur carb cleaning over the winter. I might pull it apart and try to make sure everything is spic and span again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot but there’s a chance I already monkeyed with it this offseason. It arbitrarily decided to start snowing so I’m closing the shed for a few days but I’ll put in some effort on adjusting this weekend I hope.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll donk with the adjustments first for sure. Pulling the entire carb is work I don't really want to do. Need to pull the airbox which requires pulling a whole boatload off the tail...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's an awesome occupation and I'd love to give up my desk job to do it :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh I mean no disrespect to the job, I think it's awesome. But I'm totally imagining a dude with a faded single color t-shirt with a breast pocket, tucked into some acid washed jeans over white sneakers, riding to work on an old Aspencade or Interstate with a swivel top Igloo lunchbox bungeed onto the pillion.

I’m still not seeing the down side here :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Question: How will people know how badass you are without the skulls?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"rewound"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

Put in a stahlbus oil drain valve.

On related note, I don't think 1000km oil changes on a dirt bike are that big a deal, but lots of people seem to complain about it? Seems like a low cost to pay for reliability

Just curious, did you go with the stahlbus because it’s a dirt bike and want less things hanging off your drain vs fumoto or ez-drain?