Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So what I’m hearing is that this will actually IMPROVE my ABS.

Slavvy posted:

That's a suspiciously European looking connector

Wow just because it’s flaky and surrenders under pressure doesn’t immediately make it European. Rude :colbert:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ulf posted:

Congrats! … did it need it?

I don't really have an A/B example of my bike to test against, but I do think that the clutch felt like it was slipping. It's my project bike and I was actually really excited to get it down to nuts and bolts and this was a good excuse to refresh the clutch on a high mileage motor.

I suppose egg on my face if I take it out in the spring and nothing's changed, but it was still a really fun expedition. I had a lot of fun wrenching on it, and I found a ton of other stuff I need work on refreshing in the process.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spent the day stripping the bike of everything that I can unbolt so I can actually lay things out in order and make a plan for what I’m cleaning/lubing/fixing instead of just doing random things.

Focused on the fuel tank today. I added quick disconnect lines to avoid the absolute shitshow of a low octane sprinkler that getting this tank off was. I clamped the lines off but whoopsie bumped one of the clamps loose muscling the tank around so it was a proper splashfest.

I took the filler cap off and I’m pretty sure that the oring between the filler and tank isn’t the correct part because it’s way too big for the ridge it’s supposed to fit in. How the hell was this ever in there in the first place? I have a sneaking suspicion it never was.

Yanked the throttle cable off to prepare for a new replacement. I thought this would fix a slow-to-return throttle (worn cable) but it was still sticky with the cable dc’d so now I suspect the PO misplaced a bar end washer or something. When I undo the bar end it returns just fine. Oh well, a known-good throttle cable was on my list of things to get to anyway, so I’m happy to be replacing it either way.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love love love those Klim liners. I bought a bunch to just wear off the bike too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely a "two steps forward, one step back" day for me in the shop.

I was trying to figure out why my throttle was sticky and slow to return. I undid the bar end and the throttle tube assembly and managed to work the heated grip wires out enough to pull the tube off the bar only to be greeted with either 30 years of grime, or the PO's attempt to "lube" the throttle tube with white grease. Either way, some kerosene made short work of it and the tube turns smooth as a marble on glass now.

And then while I was putting the bar end back on I was turning the wrench and suddenly felt that gut punch of a feeling when it gets really really easy to turn unexpectedly.

Thankfully it's just the expanding bar end retainer that snapped in half, but it's going to be a pain in the dick to replace because I have to fish the heated grip wires through first. Oh well, plenty of weekends left until spring riding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I released the bottom plate but still couldn't figure out how to unseat the pins. Even tried to stick tweezers into the microscopic holes in the front of this connector hoping it would release some internal latch but they won't budge.

Ordered a replacement pair of six-pos connectors and I'm just going to re-crimp both sides rather than try to figure out how to re-do whatever the hell is going on here. The cable has an unexpected amount of slack that I can cut into so I'm not terribly worried about making it too short.

Hopefully the insulation that's under the sheathing has fared a little better than whatever was exposed to the elements because I'm not really in the mood to tear into the ABS electronics to replace a whole section of the harness.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Replaced the throttle cable, fast idle cable, and clutch cable. In retrospect it would have been much, much faster to pull the left throttle body to route the cable rather than try to fidget around with hemostats and a flashlight trying to seat the cable.

Also re-routed a few electrical cables back to their OEM location. Last electrical thing is to make new connectors for the heated grips, but that's an order of operations thing that I need to wait for the bar end insert to arrive since everything threads through that.

Managed to crack not just one but BOTH rear turn signal plastics. The screw posts snapped off the lenses so I have to epoxy that back together. I can't be too mad at plastic from 1994 being brittle. I'll idly put out feelers on ebay for replacements but I'm not too fussed.

Fingers crossed that the bike is basically back together this weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A few days ago I had an "oh.. oh no.. oh drat it" moment when I realized I had when I removed my TPS to clean the throttle bodies I committed myself to re-zeroing my TPS since it comes factory adjusted.

... subsequently I learned how to re-calibrate my TPS position and did that today. Thankfully it's fairly well documented.

And I realized I ordered the wrong diameter fuel line. At least I can return it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The minute increments you move the TPS on its mount meant I was never sure if I actually found the zero spot or whether I had overshot it and was introducing slack into the system. In retrospect the process itself is really simple, I just don't have a good reading on how much margin for error there is.

I adjusted the throttle stop screw until it read 350mV but when I crack and snap the throttle it'll randomly return to rest and read 345 or 360 or something. Not sure where that differential is coming in, the throttle cables all feel super loose and there's a tiny amount of cable slack at idle so I'm not sure whether I should be spending time chasing a few millivolts. I also don't have a before/after comparison and the engine felt fine, no surging, etc., so I'm going to probably just leave it as is and worry about fine tuning it after I do the actual TB sync later and get it back on the road to see if this actually matters or not.

Though as much as I complain it's still a lot of fun to try something new. Even the annoying stuff is rewarding after a stressful day at work. Super fulfilling :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 15, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Syncted the throttle bodies but I'm going to re-do all the TPS calibration, stop screw set, and balancing once the weather is warmer since my idle is at 1500 which is really high.

Going to wait for nicer weather since I want to first see if I have any air leaks but I just have no real incentive to sit in a cold shed right now. Might order some pre-emptive o-ring replacements while I wait.

And found and unwelcome slow oil weep from where the oil cooler draws or returns to the sump so I'm going to be ordering a new set of crush washers anyway, so might toss a few other preventative consumable parts in which didn't really warrant their own order.

The only thing I'm really fighting with now is the fuel line. I have the right size clamps, but no matter how tight I snug them, there's still a random spritz of fuel here and there, where the quick connector fits into the hose. I can't figure it out, other than maybe the barbs on the quick connectors are trashed and are letting fuel out that way. Kind of confused and I might just remove them altogether since I don't really plan to remove the tank all that often. It's just nice to not have to deal with hose clamps if I DO need to pull the tank since you need to pull the tank for a ton of stupid stuff because thanks BMW, but at the same time it's also nice to not have to deal with random splurts of fuel right literally right over a big hot exhaust header.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up just removing my fuel tank quick disconnects. I can't figure out why they're leaking, so I fixed the leak in the most permanent way possible.

And I found the clutch switch cable peeling sheathing on my other bike so I have to pull it and apply some heat shrink. I guess for now I can just wrap it in electrical tape but that looks really gaudy since it's right there on the handlebar.

So far my only bike with wiring that isn't biodegradable is the DRZ :thumbsup:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally buttoned up the RS!

Workshop is a hot tiny mess, but you work in the space you have available to you, not the one you wish you had.

Just need to do an oil change and replace the brakes and it's off to safety/register.

Have a windshield and mirrors on the way. Also got a replacement cap for the mangled ignition switch cylinder but that requires removing the whole fork bridge and drilling out the cylinder's security bolts so I'm all "ehh" since it's just cosmetic. But since I have some time to kill I might as well.

I'd love to pull the valve cover and give it a re-spray since it's bubbling, but that will definitely wait.

As I was putting it together I found myself trying to rationalize why the fairings are held together with four dzus quick release fasteners and then 4 other regular screws. I could... not... rationalize it :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 6, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Had a long, boring team meeting so I just took the laptop into the shed and worked while I listened with the camera off. I swapped the stupid ignition switch plastic. It was like an hour of work, 45 minutes of which was me trying and failing to drill out the stupid security screws holding the lock to the fork bridge.

Replaced the security screws with regular hex bolts. Like, if that's what was stopping you from stealing a 30yo bike then you're welcome, I guess.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got the bike out for the year today. It begins.

Also this. All bikes minus the RS are now out and ready to toot!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drying is all about air circulation from my experience. I use a pair of cheap USB powered pocket sized personal fans you can just get from amazon and shove in your backpack.

Both still rely on you having foresight to pack them, unless you happen to make tea lights part of your regular backpacking kit.

I have two of these that I shove into wet shoes in the winter and it significantly helps in drying.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 7, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mmf. I'm still chasing an oil leak from around where the oil cooler return bolts to the sump/block. I changed the oil so I took the opportunity to unbolt the return line, clean around the area, and replace both crush washers on the banjo. I didn't see any obvious splotches when I let it run for a bit so I was really happy, but then I checked the shed just now and.. there was a new small stain around that same area.

I'm too frustrated to pull the fairings again today so I'll do that tomorrow or this weekend. Not really sure what my next move is. I have aluminum washers in there now. Should I be swapping these with copper or do they both seal about the same? I torqued the banjo down to 35nm per the svc manual so I dunno. If it's leaking at the banjo I can take one more crack at cleaning the mating surface but barring that I"m really not sure where to go but starting to replace the banjo and actual return line until it stops leaking.

I guess I'll also have to make sure it actually IS the banjo. I'll do another good wipe-down of the whole area with kerosene and then let it run for a bit, maybe with a camera on the block to see if I can catch something I didn't see before.

e: Oh further thought, there's also an oil pressure switch right above it that could be leaking and weeping down to the same area. Hmmm.

e2: Literally just found this -- wonder if it's what I"m seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIlZgZo9V4

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The ol' Spicy Boot

Next day edit: I finally got some hook and loop pads for my dewalt polisher and finished polishing the windshield I'd meticulously sanded down.

I won't say it's perfect, and there's still some lingering yellow -- especially in the very edges -- but it's 100% better than it was when I bought the bike and doesn't look like someone spent a decade chain smoking directly onto it. I know when to leave well enough alone and won't go back with another sanding pass to chase that OEM-fresh clarity.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brake dust will cover your secret shame anyway.

But just speaking as rando internet guy, I wouldn't have noticed the incredibly slight mismatch if you hadn't pointed it out, if that makes you feel any better. Slap it on a killer bike and I guarantee you no one will :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On a whim I ordered both a genuine Hepco Becker handguard crash bar and the equivalent chinese knockoff off aliexpress. Really curious to see what the quality difference is going to be.

Of course the real thing is backordered so I guess we'll see which gets here first. I might run the knockoff until it does and give it a supervised drop test to see if the welds just pop the first time it hits the ground.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do it! My RS came with a windshield I was for-sure ready to replace, but then I spent a few hours sanding it with progressively higher grits. then gave it a once-over with PlastiX using my car buffer and it's basically crystal clear. Worth the time investment IMO.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wired a proper remote battery terminal on the RS today. Having had to jump my bikes before I've been meaning to add this jump terminal before I need it.

Thought of being in a parking lot somewhere trying to pull the fuel tank before being able to take a jump was mildly annoying. I have an SAE tender pigtail to the battery already, but it's fused, and even if it wasn't it's so thin gauge wire that it would probably just liquefy the second I engaged the starter motor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, working on my hosed up exploded DRZ was some of the most fun I ever had, even if I was super frustrated at the time. I'm almost envious!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I installed that same lovely Touratech knockoff storage box that every GS owner buys off AliExpress because gently caress paying $300 for a plastic box.

But I mean, whoo boy. You see a lot of reviews on YouTube where everyone is "yeah lol $300 for box" and then they spray it with a hose and are all "yah seems fine" -- mine definitely came off the assembly line when the injection mold operator was having a bad day. There's visible daylight in the seams under the metal "covers" so as far as waterproof storage goes, this seemed to be one step above just taping my valuables to the subframe.

BUT it's nothing that five minutes with some caulk didn't fix. I just unscrewed it and took it to pieces, slapped a good dab of caulk on each of the seams and clamped it back together for a day. Put it in a tub of water the next day and it was 100% watertight after an hour so I'd say I'm plenty pleased and have zero doubt this will hold up just as well as the expensive option now. $70 + five minutes of my time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys have to do regular inspections? Or is that just registration?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's interesting. Here I can do one safety and then I'm in some kind of weird ship of theseus situation where I don't really have to think about it again.

I'm sure legally there's some language about how much you can change on a motorcycle before it needs to be re-assessed but I can't say I've had to ever think about it before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just for laughs I ordered a knockoff of my Hepco & Becker handguard protectors from ali to see how they compare at like.. fifty bucks vs two hundo.

Let's just say that the garbage bag they came wrapped in was very appropriate. I mounted one to the bars on one side to do an A/B, and I could EASILY bend the metal structure by hand as if it were .. tin, or something. Like these would be a one-and-done in a driveway drop, IF they even protected from that.

I kind of want to do a quick comparison video when I get some free time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMO handguards make or break cold weather riding for me. I was considering a pair for my RS as well but then I ended up just getting a pair of hippo hands.

Took the bike out for some low speed practice in a gravel lot. I actually haven't done any low speed practice since I had the Ninja and there's a bit of rust there. Bike took a nap a handful of times but hey, that's why it's got crash bars right?

What did you do in the future: I want to replace the oil pressure sensor on my RS today since it's weeping and I've had the part for weeks now, just been too lazy to go to the shed and actually do it. Honestly thinking about just taking the right side fairings off and laying it over on a towel to keep the oil from splurting out when I do the swap. Some guy on youtube demonstrated it on an RT and I guess there was more oil leakage than you'd expect for a non-pressurized system so.. eh..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 24, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pinny posted:

It attaches with 2 Tenax quick release fasteners. Came with replacement fairing bolts with the ball ends on them and the bag just clips on.

That is an amazing idea for an attach system and I'm actually kind of surprised I hadn't seen it used until you posted about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered a replacement clutch lever switch. Bike wouldn't start in gear and wouldn't change ride modes unless it was standing still, and I guess that's a common enough problem with the GS line. Cheap fix, if that's all it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it interplays with cruise control so I'd have to check. But yeah, I think I bypassed the clutch switch on the DRZ too.

e: Actually I just cancelled my order. Going to try to monkey with the switch since it checks out electrically (meter tested). There's a few YT vids with some "home remedies" that I'll check before I shell out a few bucks.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 29, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK yeah I'm glad I cancelled the clutch switch order because just doing a quick clean of the actual switch and bending the prongs out a little did the trick. Going to make sure it's letting me change rider modes on the go tomorrow when I get more time, but since I can start it in gear now I presume we're all good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Installed the rigg dual sport tail bag, finally. I’ve been hemming and hawing over what to get because the large ADV one looked too chonky but wasn’t sure. Just pulled the trigger and ordered the medium one in the end and it’s perfect for little grocery runs, and to keep a tiny toolkit and USB battery bank handy.

Only tangentially “to my ride”, but I hooked up a HomeKit compatible trigger for my garage door and it’s SO NICE to be able to open and close my garage just flicking the button on my bike;s CarPlay dash vs fumbling in my pocket for my opener. Most rewarding $50 I’ve spent in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

El-cheapo radiator guards on the big bike today. Saw a few creases in the fins already and figured I'd fix that off before it got any worse. Of course the cheap touratech knockoffs didn't fit as expected, but I made it work after a few choice applications of the dremel.

... to the part, not the, uh.. bike..

cursedshitbox posted:

Do y'all wanna thread/see the guts of a bankruptcy era 21 year old KTM with 76 thousand miles?

Pondering the kind of monster a human being would have to be to say no here.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2024