Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

M42 posted:

Did you use the gun in addition to the carb sync tool/homemade vacuum bottles, or just the gun by itself?

I sync with gauges first and the mess with the screws.
I bench synced the last three sets of carbs I rebuilt and they were super close when I hooked up the gauges so you might be able to get away with just using the gun if it's running ok already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcHw_t3QlU that a guy made about cleaning your rotor buttons to get your rotors to quit vibrating.
I did pretty much the same thing on my completely stuck buttons on my EBC rotors and got them to move pretty freely which reduced the vibration I was getting significantly. Mine were super stuck from rust and/or brake dust and took a ton of force to get to move so if yours are just stuck a bit you'll probably be able to clean them up pretty easily. The biggest thing I did that was different was to use penetrating oil first, then brake clean then a spritz of dry silicone.

You already got new rotors but it's worth cleaning up your old ones if possible and keeping them on the side.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is that a hummingbird? That is still sad even if it's just a plain bird :(

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I stuck my iPhone in the clear pocket of my tank bag to use for navi and the thing overheated in about 10 minutes. It was only about 60 degrees out too so you need to keep an eye on it. I've never had it overheat before or since but the thing was hot when I pulled over and took it out of there.

Also watch that you don't pick metal things up when you put the bag down. I put mine down on an open case of sockets and didn't notice that half of them came with the bag when I picked it up. I slapped it on my tank and got the CLANG! that you would expect from hitting your tank with about 10 torx sockets.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Took the FZR back apart to make it suitable for a few more track days this year before I sell it.

Rebuilt the forks with later model lower tubes so I can use R6 calipers with the late FZR rotors. Bought a mint set R6 calipers off of eBay loaded with a new set of EBC HH pads for $30 shipped.

Also bought a low mileage cylinder head to replace mine that's full of worn intake valves including a nicely burned one. That was $110 shipped so not bad either. Full engine gasket set was $80 shipped so only about $250 more dollars shoveled into the money furnace that is my Yamaha.

Tomorrow is wrenching and hopefully running. We will see.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

drat, Kawi wants over $10 per single valve shim and they don't have any of them in stock!

Screw it, can get hot cams for about $1 each online if I can wait a week or two for shipping. So be it.

Are there any bike shops near you that would let you trade shim for shim? I've even heard of several forums that do that.
I ended up putting a kit together out of several junk heads I took apart at the pick-n-pull and a few packs of Hot Cams shims after I priced shims from Yamaha and found out they were in the $10 range.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I call my bikes "the white bike". When asked which one I remember that both are white so I specify the old one or the pile of poo poo.
Genderizing machines is a little weird to me but, meh, whatever blows your hair back.

EDIT: Speaking of, I pulled the head off the white bike, pile of poo poo version, and found that I didn't have a burned valve. I have three burned valves in three cylinders. Might explain the poor running.
I got the replacement head on and torqued. Just need to finish reassembly and see what happens.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I made myself some beads out of a car bead seat cover. Silly looking but so comfy. With the beads I managed to do 1,300 miles in three days on my GS and was only really sore rather than dead.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It also happens when you wheelie the poo poo out of it all the time. My ex had a Tuono that she tracked and hooned like a goof and head bearings were a 1-1.5 year maintenance item on that thing.

vvv I'm well aware of this

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 25, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My boss rides a K1200 and covers it at work once it cools down. It makes me feel like a neglectful owner being parked next to his clean, unfaded, covered bike while my filthy,faded, scratched all to poo poo bike sits there dripping oil and chain lube all over the ground.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Some bikes use the ignition barrel but some have a separate lock that locks only the forks. My old SOHC Hondas all had separate locks.

vvv Edit: I get the picture that he stuck the key in the lock, forgot about it and then sheared the head off by banging it off of something.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 5, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If the battery is completely flat you're going to need a hell of a hill to bump start a bike (or a car). Usually you have power, just not enough to keep the bike electrics going while using the starter. From totally dead would mean you'd need to get the generator spinning fast enough to make the ~11-12V needed to get whatever electrics need power to kind of come alive.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Extra fun is the Peugeot 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo thing. All three are being made by the same people, in the same factory, from the same components, only with some badge engineering done. They're the same loving car! And yet the Aygo consistently ranks much higher, and the C1 lower, than the 107 in all reliability rating I see.

I think a lot of that has to do with the dealership side of things. When I first started working at Acura back in 2000 (I'm old) we worked on a ton of SLXs which were rebadged, optioned up Izuzu Troopers. The Trooper had a horrible reliability rating but the SLX was pretty high. I'm pretty sure it came down to the fact that Acura techs are very well trained and have attention to detail that was lacking in most Izuzu dealers. Even though they were a pain in the rear end to work on and were completely different than anything else we had, they were fixed right the first time and wouldn't leave the shop otherwise.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Awhile back I reached into my toolbox to grab something and shoved the tip of my finger onto a razor blade that I'd carelessly tossed into the top drawer.

There is still a meandering trail of blood drops on the floor where I walked around trying to find a clean cloth to wrap it up in. I ended up fashioning a bandage out of a restaurant napkin and sponge bob duck tape.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It is finally getting cold out in Southern California, so time to Winterize!

I put the chin curtain back in my helmet and the liner in my jacket. :effort:

Same here. I switched to my warmer gloves too. It's not too cold but after 30 minutes I'm on the chilly side.
I also put a new rear tire on AFTER riding to work in pouring rain last week. It probably won't rain again until this one is bald too but oh well.
My commuter is about 300 miles away from hitting 70k. I feel like I should wash it or something as a reward for not dying after all the abuse I put it through.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Contacts are fine, but LASIK is loving amazing.

I've got an appointment for an exam on the 6th of December and I'm so excited.
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism so they are very needed but wearing glasses is annoying if only for the fact that I always manage to scratch or drop every pair of glasses in the process of riding. As it sits now I need an exam as well as prescription sun glasses and new regular glasses. It is only about double the cost for LASIK so I said to hell with it. I'm going to do some medical tourism in Mexico (which is about 30 minutes from here so not much touring) and get the procedure done at a place where several of my friends/acquaintances have already.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Minkee posted:

Something irks me about Mexican LASIK.

How come?

EDIT FOR CONTENT: New tire for the Suzuki. Put some oil in the engine too.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would never use RTV for float bowls. It's not generally fuel resistant and as it disintegrates the chunks are going straight into your jets.
You can buy lengths of Viton gasket material to make o-rings just as easily as paper. Just buy in the right diameter, cut to length and put in the groove. It doesn't need to be an attached ring to seal properly. It will squeeze against itself and seal just like it's squeezing against the carb bodies.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got the idea from some motorcycle board where everyone seemed to do it. I also thought it was weird but after having done it a few times I'm confident in it. I agree that it's not elegant but it's better than paying $15 an o-ring for factory parts on a poo poo pile bike.
Much better than RTV any way you look at it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Valve adjustment on the GS today. Only 6 valves were at the tight end of spec which isn't bad seeing as how I doubled the interval this time around due to laziness. Looks drat near brand new in there which is impressive for 70k miles of abuse.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If all that oil came out with your coolant you've definitely got a problem.
I'd guess leaking oil/water heat exchanger (if it has one) but it could be head gasket. Dig around on your bike specific forums and I'm sure you'll find out what's common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Rode the things! First time riding in two weeks after getting LASIK and holy poo poo is it ever awesome to be able to see perfectly while riding.