Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Replaced the rear bearings, chain, and sprockets!

I had a lot of fun getting dirty and realized that my local shop really jacks up the price for an hour or two of work and makes a lot of money on parts too. After taking the rear end apart I figured out that a spacer was backwards between the cush drive and wheel, probably causing the bearings to break in the first place. The only other people to have taken apart the rear end are at my local shop, so I think they messed it up.

I ended up putting the bearings in the freezer for two or three days then sliding them into place. The rear end went back together without a problem, but as I was tightening everything back up it seemed like I didn't fully seat a bearing. After a little hammering everything is fine!

Next on my to do list: See if the bad bearing messed anything else up, get some improved mirrors so I can see behind me and not just my elbows, better tune the suspension, and get new leathers (matched jacket and pants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Bought a new chain and some sprockets, put them on, and went for a ride. Also spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning the thing until every bit shined like new, well, except for the rash from the previous owner and the rust spots...

I really wish I had the money to let someone else do the work for me, all the wrenching has lost it's fun.