Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I finally put my new bars on since I bent the original ones when I put it down. Took about an hour start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I put the cover on my bike in anticipation of my week long trip to Miami. This morning I woke up to pouring rain and felt good about the cover.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got it up to 50 mph for my first time. Whooaaaa. (Sorry, I'm still new at this whole thing.)

Then I removed the seat and lifted the tank just because.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got it inspected and registered. Yay for being legal!

Although I think I have to pay county taxes now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turned what should have been a 20 minute ride to see my friend's band play into an over an hour ride by missing a turn and getting very, very lost. Still, it was fun. :)

I also learned that cars don't like it when you go the speed limit, even on a four lane road.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered a set of Intiminators (worst name ever) for the SV. The bike's under cover since it's been pouring rain the past couple days. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

VERY interested in hearing your before/after opinions on this. Weather gods, stop being dicks and let Endless Mike work! :argh:
Well, I just ordered them yesterday, and I'm not going to put them in until I get some other suspension bits to balance the whole thing out (mostly, looking for a ZX14 shock for cheap, but that seems to be difficult), but I'll be sure to write up what I think when I get around to it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took a trip with my buddy to what is supposed to be a really good BBQ place, via a pretty road. It was. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took a trip to find the Blair Witch, a total trip of around 200 miles. Naturally, everything went great up until the last 10 miles when some woman in an SUV tried to merge into me. I braked, locked the rear, let off and thankfully recovered, swerved and went on my way, but GOD. I need to go practice emergency braking. Fun ride, though. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode down the George Washington Memorial Parkway to get to BBQ with a couple fellow goons (TapForwardToAssist and uhhh Daniel whose forum name I forgot). We found Fort Washington - The Capital's Guardian.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Weirdest bike gang ever. TTFA's Bonnie (I love the sound of this), my SV, Daniel's Ninjette.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

EDIT: Image resizer only worked on the last one. loving internet.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 19, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I knew there was "viper" in it somewhere!

Yeah, I had fun too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The bike shop had its monthly summer BBQ, so I rode over there and had a burger and some dogs and considered having it cleaned by the possibly underage girls in bikinis and heels, but didn't since all I had on me was $20 bills and I feel stupid asking for change for the tip on a free wash. Then I got some stuff at Target and then gas. Whee.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Put some Napolean "Barens" on the bike. Now I can actually see more than my elbows!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode to work today, since I had an early meeting. I usually take the Metro since work pays for it, but between the awesome weather and the need to get in a little early, I just had to do it. Such a nice day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last night I brought home a box of Korean fried chicken using only a bungee net. I was impressed that it didn't budge the whole way!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got the DRZ insured and inspected, then put on the Edge tail light I got along with my actual license plate, and removed the toolkit pouch. I tried to de-decal it, but found out that the ones on the tank are apparently under the clearcoat. So now if I remove all but those it'll look even stupider than it already does. :( Also, the connectors that come with the Edge kit are awful and I'm going to redo it as soon as I get somewhere to buy new ones (plus I still need to connect the signals). That said, it looks good.

Before:

After:

I also got some case covers I need to install, but need to get some silicone adhesive for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Took it for a ride and apparently lost my license plate while being a supermoto hooligan in the backstreets going for a leisurely ride.

Dammit.
I went and did some skills drills with some SVR guys on the DRZ, and when I got there, one mentioned that I was riding without a plate. I smacked my head. Same thing happened to me. I had *just* put it on, too!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I finally reconnected the signals on the DRZ. And put the new plate on. Not that I've been riding without them, I just haven't been riding due to my crash injury (but am hoping to next weekend!). :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally got the SV towed to the bike shop for a damage estimate to send to USAA. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I havn't had to use my USAA->Progressive insurance. Is the service as good as USAAs car insurance?
Well, it's the other person's USAA insurance and they've been very helpful so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got the damage estimate from the shop. At over $5200 to repair, it'll be totaled once the adjustor gets back to me. It's a shame but it means I can start thinking about something new. Those tri-color VFRs are enticing, but I'm thinking a Bonneville may be in my future. The other possibility is to buy another 2007 naked SV from one of the local SVR guys who just got an 1125CR.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The cop didn't actually know how fast I was going, I was just going "fast". So he wrote it up as 70+ in a 50.

I'm looking into traffic lawyers now, I really don't want that poo poo on my record if I can avoid it.
I don't see any way how this would stand up in court.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I took it out for a short trip to the gas station, insurance agency, and Italian Store. I ran out of gas as I was turning into the gas station (still had reserve, though).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure here in VA it's both electronic AND we get a sticker. That said, since anywhere that inspects cars has to inspect motorcycles and they're legally not allowed to charge more than $12, inspections are basically a horn and light check. Unless you take it to an actual motorcycle shop where they'll find *something* wrong with it to make you pay to fix.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought it. Pictures to come. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brought her home in the rain with a forecast for snow this week. :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insured and registered the new VFR. It's cheaper to insure than the SV was, and really, I need to lower my coverage since I really don't need full coverage on a 12 year old bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thanks! I like the changes you made, funny how a small change like pulling that very small plastic fairing thing off can change how a bike looks. The exhaust is neat too, it looks like it'd be loud as hell..

I'm seriously curious what those plastic things are for since just removing those improves the looks a ton. Plus, it would be more plastic for making Gladius Lifestyle Pants with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rode it. Yay for nice weather! Just a short jaunt to get a feel for it. It needs some adjustments. Notably, the left clip-on needs to be widened a hair.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rode the DRZ to work today. On the way home, some dude yelled from his truck asking about it. :3:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, I may have to get one of those. Reading an analog speedo is just slightly annoying after two bikes with digital ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buell pegs are like $20 and apparently fit on everything if you spend some time on them with a file.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VFR: Flapperectomy and snorklectomy, widened left clip-on, cleaned and lubed chain
DRZ: Put on case covers, cleaned and lubed chain

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 19, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode the DRZ to lunch with some friends in the city. I got to take advantage of the free, readily available motorcycle parking. 8) When I came back a 625 SMC was parked next to me. Minus side, I didn't do a pre-ride check and realized halfway out that my left read signal wasn't working. Jigging the wire gets it working, so I'm going to have to play with it tomorrow. Obviously my splice wasn't good enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode the VFR over to the bike shop for oil and a filter. Changed the oil on the DRZ. That was a mess fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode the DRZ to work this morning with the new helmet, which doesn't like the cold (FOOOOOOG!!!). Then on the way home I hit reserve in the left lane at the tail end of rush hour on a two-lane (one way) highway. :doh: Thankfully, I was able to get to the right side (no shoulder) pretty quickly. Someone pulled over almost immediately, which was nice, although I didn't need their help. I almost thought I did since it wouldn't start after I switched to reserve. Dropped it in neutral and it fired right up. :doh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I went to an SVRider maintenance day on my VFR (one of five non-SVs there, although two were the host's bikes).

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

On the way home, the winds picked up so much that I was the most scared I've been on a bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It'll hold for the next couple days, shouldn't it?
Nylon straps are usually rated for a lot and have to have like a 3x factor of safety. Your rafters are probably more likely to break.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to go put my Givi rack on the VFR.

Stopped when I found one of the Allen bolts holding the tail plastic on to be stripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lugnut supremacy. :smug: