Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Organics don't use pesticides or evil hormones. Hope you "metallic" users enjoy your cancer. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ordered a screw and an oil filter for the VFR and a couple oil filters and crush washers for the DRZ. Friday I need to run to the bike shop and see what they can do for tires on the VFR. Their tire prices are right in line with the online places if you get them put on there, also.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

What kind of tire you thinking about? When it comes time for mine to get some new rubber, I'll most likely get a dual compound one, like Pilot 2ct
Probably Pilot Road 2s, actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to the local shop's open house day which didn't seem to be a whole lot different than their normal Saturdays other free hot dogs than a rather attractive girl in a bikini washing bikes. She was a 'Bama fan, though, so I couldn't let her touch my bike. I also spent too much money on tires and the installation of them. Plus side, I got to talk to a guy with a DRZ who has done pretty much everything short of a stroker on it. Nice guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I spent $375 installed for some Sport Demons, do I win?
...No.

:smith:

But I'm only winning by like $10. Pyrrhic victories ITT.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 3, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Spencer will widen a seat, though. He just goes with the stock design.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infraboy posted:

Nearly Tboned a person on a bicycle WHO RAN A RED LIGHT in San francisco, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? I literally stopped about 2 inches from this guy's right calf.
I hope you kicked him over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode into work on the DRZ. Some guy in a car hollered to me asking what it was. I told him and he said he rode a Monster. He said it looked "kinda like a Hypermotard, huh?" I just said "kinda" and cried on the inside. Thanks Ducati.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My SV's tank had a hinge and a kickstand. I really wish my VFR did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I decided to put the Vance & Hines slip-on I got with my VFR. Got the stock muffler off (and immediately noticed a significant weight difference), then went to put the V&H on, and after struggling to get it to go on, noticed I had messed up the muffler gasket. Ripped that off and now I have to order a new one. :(

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1998-honda-motorcycle-vfr800fi-interceptor-muffler/o/m2795sch92523

Part 7. Guess I'll order new hardware while I'm at it since all the bolts and the collar are a bit rusty. =/

Also bought three gallons of Rotella T6 since you can get them for $20 total after rebate if here's an Advance Auto near you.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 19, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

Sup, 'I broke the ball off my KLR Clutch Lever' buddy!
If you hit the clutch lever hard enough to get stabbed with it, the ball isn't going to stop it.
I didn't even bother with tape. And now it's almost the perfect length for two-fingering it.
One of my friends broke the end off a clutch lever, so he built up a new ball out of JB Weld to get it "legal" again. (Ignore everything else on it that's horribly illegal.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

Does the chain on the KLR need to have more slack than a sportbike chain? You're right in that I adjusted it the same as I had always adjusted my sportbikes, didn't think there would be a difference.
I'd be surprised if it didn't. The suspension travel should be much longer than a sport bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So wait, do the injectors just spray the gas into the throttle bodies?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I also put on some 1 inch drop pegs because I am six feet tall and Buell's are made for short fuckers. I think Erik sized the bikes for him and him only. Any shorter than 5'6" and you might have problems touching the ground flat foot. Any taller than 5'8" and it's not comfortable at all.
drat, really? I was going to look into them next year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Unless you're planning on tracking or doing a lot of canyon carving/mountain riding, get a lightning over a firebolt.

Lightnings have a more comfy seat and higher bars. Not that the bars on a firebolt are stupid low or anything like that.

This was what I was thinking, anyway. As it is, it's only a thought, anyway, and Buells are probably not quite but close to the bottom of my list of ideas (which I may not even follow through on).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Went to go ride the DRZ, but I think the battery is toast since it won't charge above 15% according to my charger. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Changed the oil, replaced the battery and rode it for the first time this year!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got the DRZ inspected six months after it expired and went riding.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I'd rather be "silly" than have achy knees.
?

I find a standard riding position to be very comfortable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey he didn't say he's American. He may be heading across Monaco.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm getting the VFR ready to sell, and that requires a new battery. So I went and bought one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unfortunately, it's not much of an option for us city-dwellers. :(

Well, okay, it is, but getting a place with a garage is difficult, at best, and would cost as much as a second bedroom, which I can't afford on my own, anyway. (Although if I get the raise I'm hoping for, this might be different next year.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kylej posted:

Why are you still living at home when you can afford something like 5 nearly new motorcycles? Priorities, dude.
Sounds like he's got them straight. :cool:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to go bleed the VFR's clutch. I got as far as getting the fairing off and removing one screw from the reservoir, at which point I stripped the gently caress out of the other screw. :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered a vanity plate for the DRZ. It's an organ donor plate reading "SPL4T."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Cleaned and lubed the chain, first time since I got the bike, I shoulda done this sooner I'm sure. Question: I used some spray on Motul stuff that turned yellow my uncle had, I had no idea how much to use, I didn't cover the entire chain I just sprayed through the links, not so much on the cross bars (idk what they're called, the part the teeth actually grab) Should I put another coat on and cover that poo poo? (I really should have taken a pic but I had to get to work.)

Any good guides on cleaning/lubing chains?
The most important part is to get between the plates where the o-rings live. Anything else won't hurt, but isn't as vital.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mootmoot posted:

I bought the Daytona because IMO it looks the coolest. The 'Daytona' at the bottom is awesome - kind of like a font like how 'Baywatch' was written, some retro 80's Miami beach combined with modern cutting edge bike power. The whole shape of the bike looks great. Plus it's red so perfect. I heard that it was the best in it's range. Less bothered about that but it's still cool.
You're just trolling now right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

_Dav posted:

No.

Geirskogul posted:

I disagree. Yes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No.

Raven457 posted:

Whoa guys, let's just cool it down a bit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I thought that was your favorite part? :confused:
Yeah, dude, they're awesome! Like Baywatch!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I pulled the battery to charge. I will put it back tomorrow to make sure it works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish I had known. I think I tossed one a couple months ago. (I might be wrong about that and still have it though.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I went to bleed the clutch on my VFR. I did it. Or I thought I did. It still doesn't clutch right. But at least it fires up without an issue. I'm going to do it again tomorrow, hoping I just didn't get all the air out or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I first found there was a problem, it would clutch properly if I pulled the lever all the way in. Now it doesn't even do that, as far as I can tell. Trying to drop it into first just kills the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like I said, I'm going to give it another go (rather than watch old dudes on Harleys) and go from there. I really just want to sell the damned thing.