Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
66' YDS3

- Rode the gently caress out of it
- Washed it
- Put a new pilot jet in the right carb and finally fixed an annoying flat spot in the power band
- Rode it till I hurt
- Lubed the chain

77' KZ650

- Soldered the cracked overflow tubes in two carbs
- Cleaned the carbs and put them back on
- Stripped and painted the foot pegs
- Cleaned up some electrical connectors
- Put some acetone in the used tank I bought to clean out some dried varnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Simkin posted:

Tomorrow, I'll be drilling out some stripped screws on the front brake reservoir on the CB450, bleeding the brakes, and then taking it for a test spin, with the new handlebars in place.

You may already know this, but someone clued me in to a great way of bleeding bike brakes the other day. Take a long clear tube and run it from the bleeder and up over the handle bars. Then just pump the hell out of the brake with the screw open until the fluid level is at the handle bars. Close the screw, drain the tube, and repeat. This works so drat well I was amazed I didn't think of it before and now I have to tell everyone.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kdc67 posted:

How were you bleeding them before?

A stupid little one man brake bleeder kit that I'd use after leaving the bleed screw open for a few hours with the brake lever tied closed. Its my first bike that is modern enough to have disc brakes and I went into it thinking I could bleed new brake lines like you would a car.

Also while we're on the topic, would using DOT5 fluid hurt anything? I just replaced all the lines and fittings so I figured it was a good opportunity to switch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

DOT5 is silicone and wont absorb water. This means as water gets into the system it pools against metal surfaces which can cause rust and other problems. From everything I have read on it it is not wise to use unless you flush very frequently and have lots of track use.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

Ahh gently caress, its a little late unfortunately. Would it be horrible if I flushed out the DOT5 with a whole lot of DOT4?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's what I'd do.

Thats the last time I trust those crazy old bastards on the KZ650 forums. :mad:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Simkin posted:

Now just think - instead of it being ponderous and prone to tipping over, once you get it going, it will want to balance itself. :aaaaa:

I actually almost dropped my KZ project bike on myself a couple of weeks ago after I reupholstered the seat. I was making vroom noises when it was on the centre stand :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kcer posted:

That test checked out, though I'll try it again to be sure on the way home. I put it into 6th, set it to about 10k and it grabbed fine and dropped down. Didn't appear to hang at all.

I can't get a hold of that guy at the minute. Either he's busy or he's away for Easter.

How did the sprockets look? Hows the chain?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kcer posted:

Changed them about 3-4k miles ago. I haven't looked at the sprockets in any details, but the chain is fine and I'd imagine they are too.

Double check the sprockets and chain tension just in case. Premature part failure is not uncommon in the land of replacement parts for both cars and bikes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Put new rear shocks/springs on the KZ. Those old rusted stock springs from the 70's were soft as hell due to the worn out piston. Nothing like going over a set of railroad tracks and having the bike slowly lurch up and down for a few seconds after the tracks to kill your confidence in corners.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I am going to have stainless steel brake lines installed if not this paycheck the next. The lines appear to be in good shape and are not giving me issues. However with the bike having been in a wreck I would rather do preventative maintenance than disaster recovery.

These guys mostly sell parts for old Japanese bikes but they have a big selection of new stainless steel brake parts at great prices. I ended up converting my lines to stainless for less than $50. Worth checking out:

http://www.z1enterprises.com

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I don't see anything there for my bike as listed by model. I honestly am not really comfortable with handling brakes myself as far as installation goes. I am comfortable with almost every other aspect of maintenance. I just have issues tinkering with the one part that controls whether I live or die 100%.

That being said if we have a get together sometime in a month or two I can pick up the parts and materials, with a 6 pack and come hang out.

He's got the brake stuff buried a few pages in. Try here:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=YPWB1

Brake lines are easy. The lines and fittings just screw together and then screw onto the master cylinder and caliper with a banjo. Easy peasy. The hardest part is bleeding the master cylinder. That said if you're anxious about doing it yourself I can understand.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Glad I could help.

*eagerly awaits Superhawk build thread* :munch:

Yes please document the Superhawk. It looks old and awesome.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chairon posted:

Thanks to this guy ^^ I found out that my turn signals don't work because of the switch! I have no idea how to fix a switch.

Generally you just clean the contacts inside the switch unless its in pieces.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Rejetted the Bandit for the 90th time this spring. I'm getting it really close. Almost to the point that I'll need to stick it on a dyno just to get an a/f reading from the sniffer.

Its running good though, if you roll on the throttle over 3K in first its wheelie time, which is really crazy, as I'm more used to the top-end rush of my old GSXR.

Wasn't the RD a rocket ship before you sold it as well? I think you just like your power delivery dangerous and sudden. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I finally put the clear coat on my gas tank and it was gorgeous.

Then I came back a half hour later and a bug had landed in it :mad:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phy posted:

but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.

Its a hard call. My experience with classic bikes is that often the most brilliant carb tuning guys are also the most crazy. I think its the carb cleaner.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Other than the bike running poorly, how are you to know when it's dirty? ("Replace after every X miles" is not the answer I'm looking for.)

When the filter element turns black :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Got it all back together and headed off to a Canadian Tire to check on a saddlebag/tank bag combo 8ender clued me into. Get there, they have both separate but not the combo.

Use their online stock checker thing. Its usually pretty accurate.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Fixed the petcock and rode all day. I also spotted a 1987 DR650 for sale at the side of the road which is exactly the bike I was thinking of buying to continue my decades of lovely old Japanese bikes thing I have going.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My KZ650s petcock starting pissing gas onto my leg (and the engine block! :supaburn:) while the bike was running so I decided to replace it. Turns out that the KZ vacuum petcock is a big piece of poo poo, none of the rebuild kits work, and once it starts acting up its better to just replace it.

Oddly enough the recommended replacement is a Suzuki petcock used on the GS bikes of the same era. You can get them new for around $50 and the one I bought bolted right up. Hooray for the miracle of UJM part sharing!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phy posted:

Fuckin' nothing. I'm waiting a week for a single fuckin' bolt.

Ugh. Similar. Waiting for a new rectifier so my bike stops leaking electricity.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Got my first experience of riding in the rain. All in all it wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my mind to be; definitely not bad enough to not go riding just because of rain.

Just make sure you pick the right rain gear. Nothing sucks worse than your wet weather gear failing on the highway because the rain soaks through in a matter or seconds. The rain made it through the right arm on my rain suit while doing 65mph a few days ago and water was running down my arm moments later.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ola posted:

A lane just for bikes :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I received some humble pie from a nice gentleman wearing full leathers on his R1 as he passed me on the outside of a really long downhill right hander like I was sitting still. Up to that point I thought I was Ben Spies or some poo poo. :blush:

Try having a step father to ride with all the time who has been riding for 30 years. I eat that pie every couple of weeks. drat guy has a 1979 Goldwing and pushes it around like its a supermoto. Now he has a 78' XS1100 so I can't even catch him in the straights if he doesn't want me to. Also its got some bad seals and he's figured out he can cover me in oil smoke if he goes WOT suddenly.

8ender fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2009