Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I rode it off of my own street for the first time after I paid $29 to get a tiny "3" on my license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Washington? Looks pretty Salish Sea-y and the weather matches

Yep! It stopped raining and the sun even came out a little bit just long enough for a short little ride after I got home from the DOL. Then it started raining again and even a little bit of hail

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Finished putting new tires on it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slide Hammer posted:

Do you have a garage? What year is that GN125? How is it not being devoured by rust scale...

It's an '82. I don't have a garage, but I keep it covered in a mostly-enclosed shed. The center stand and battery tray are pretty rusty I guess :shrug:

EDIT: Today I put the valve stem cap that I left on the porch when I replaced the tires back on.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

N is for Nipples posted:

I almost feel a twinge of guilt for this. But in my heart, I know this is what I want.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I rode it to work with tiny new blinkers and didn't get run over by anybody who couldn't see them.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Today I replaced the cush-drive rubber. I also pulled the chain off and cleaned that and cleaned up all of the caked on gunk around the sprocket since the wheel was apart anyway.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Old cush drives feel so terrible and alarming when they are near death.

Everything feels so smooth now. The old one was probably original so only 34 years old

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Now the screws that hold the little oil filter mesh in are stuck too. How does something that spends its' whole life soaked in oil get stuck :bang:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Last night I got to ride home in the dark with the brake light switch adjusted to be constant on because the tail light had gone out.

Today I fixed the tail light by pulling the seat off and looking at the connector. I didn't actually DO anything to it, I just LOOKED at it.

EDIT:

And here's a picture from the other day when I replaced the chain, sprockets and the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 14, 2016

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Replaced the two missing screws that hold the coil onto the frame instead of letting it rattle around loose under the tank. Whoops

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Today I finally tracked down and fixed what I worried was something going wrong in the top end.

Turns out it was an electrical connector rattling against the underside of the tank.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I put my luggage rack back on.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Today I used the rack that I put back on. Also it looks like it's time to do the fork seals and oil

:tipshat:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I only use the rear brake because the front is only for if you have no other option but to throw yourself over the bars.

Layer Dan Lever, for emergency use only.

I wish my front brake did anything, hooray drums. At least I never have to bleed anything

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Had to Endo-down" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Idiot pulled right out in front of me, so I did the only thing I could, I endo'd right over the car to safety.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I swapped out the 14T front sprocket for a 15T to make cruising at highway speeds a little easier.

Check out my sweet garage

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Stuffed the renewed registration in the toolbox and put a new sticker on the plate. Took the dealer plate frame off so my girlfriend will stop complaining about it even though it's period correct from a dealer that doesn't exist anymore

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Where can I get one of these helmets? Does Biltwell make it?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

A bunch of bullshit. Next time I'll pay the extra $40 for one that's already filled and charged.

The best part was the leaky cap on the bottle of acid

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Maybe this is the hipster authenticity I get for buying my battery from an old dude in a grungy battery shop

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

How much bigger/deeper are LEDs on the back side compared to a sealed beam? I want to get one of the knockoff 5 3/4" daymakers for my tiny Suzuki but all of the connections to the wiring harness are stuffed up in the bucket and I don't think one would fit if it's much deeper.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I opened up the carb on my GN to make sure it didn't have some weird jetting when I was diagnosing its' weird idle and stalling problems and despite being corroded and rusty on the outside it looked brand new on the inside.

It turns out that it was almost entirely related to the arcing spark plug cap.

Now I'm convinced that 90% of "carbs are hard, I can't figure this out, black magic voodoo etc" is just something completely unrelated to fueling

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The white Versys sure looks a lot better than the black/silver/red graphics on the current version

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I mounted a random waterproof plastic box as a top case. Guess it's time to get a KLR

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I added a windshield to further transform it into a dorky commutercycle

It reduces the amount of wind but also somehow feels like the wind is worse because what hits the top of my helmet is louder (but still less)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Huh, I have literally never seen a GN with a front drum. The bottom of the barrel is lower than I thought!

Haha. 82 was the first year they made them and the only year they had a drum on the front

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I can get it up to 60mph fairly easily, 65 on flat ground with no headwind, and just under 75 if I lay down on the tank and have a lot of flat ground

That's all indicated, so it's really probably around 5mph less

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My friend……

I had the exact same problem as you. This makes a world of difference

Now you need to top it with one of the smaller single clamp ones

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I switched from using spray wax chain lube to gear oil and the chain already seems to just look cleaner. It also has an appropriate greasy old motorcycle smell

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I "dropped" my brand new bike just the other day when I parked on some apparently uneven dirt and it rolled and folded the stand as I was just starting to grab the bars. It suddenly became heavier than I expected sooner than I expected and resulted in a slow, embarrassing battle against gravity as I awkwardly set it on its side while collapsing next to it

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Apropos of nothing, but can I just say how I loving love having a bike that is easy to work on?

I was dreading doing a valve check but at this rate I’m really excited to do it.

I just did mine today! It's nice doing it on a new bike where the crank cover isn't seized in place and you have to find TDC by rolling it back and forth in gear

I hope if I ever have to make a warranty claim they don't accuse me of falsifying service records because the 500 mile break in valve check was at exactly 500 miles

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

And what appears to be an 80's xr150 engine I think.

I think the whole thing is a mishmash of different cloned parts. The engine is supposed to be an upscaled clone of the cg125 engine with an added balance shaft.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

My new china bike has a switch on the clutch but it doesn't do anything? One of the electrical repair tutorials points out a plug tucked in with all of the turn signal connectors that you can short if you want the neutral light to come on when you pull the clutch for reasons??

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I guess tire wear like that makes a little bit of sense if you don't have enough tires to be able to rotate them

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Mounted a can. Now I can get farther into the woods to have a breakdown/get eaten by a bear

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Are you sure the subframe can take that kind of load??

Yeah the mounts for the rack go through the fender/underseat-tray/whatever directly to the same part of the frame that would support a pillion. It's also only 1.75 gallons so it weighs like 15lbs max.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slide Hammer posted:

I had an old BMW 320i with around 200,000 miles on it once upon a time. It also needed valve guides. The smoke from worn valve guides only appears as you ride it, under certain engine loading conditions. You can't see it under idle. You might be able to see it if you rev the engine, and as the engine slows down from the peak of its rev.

Yeah on cars it's usually apparent on startup and when pulling away from a stop after some amount of time running at speed.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Can you please make a video of honking the horn as you ride past the camera. Preferably in some sort of pastoral setting with a hedgerow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slide Hammer posted:

It refused to start one day, so I ordered a new carburetor. Cheap Chinese Mikuni copies @ $26 each... irresistible. I'd done this before and the one I got worked right out of the box. Not this time!

Settings seem all wrong. Air pilot screw was like 7 turns out, who knows where the needle clip is set (bogs on anything over 1/4 throttle; top speed effectively 38 mph after an acceleration crawl). The experience is so different from my first purchase that I thought the problem was something else: the old and slightly distorted airbox-to-carburetor boot. (Back in 2012, when I bought this, I experimented with removing the airbox intake horn which restricts airflow, and it was bogging down hard just like it is now. Instant lean condition.)

Today, I tried something different. I'd already tried opening the choke at full throttle, and it just kept bogging. What if it isn't lean, but... rich? Remembering ten years ago, I removed the airbox airhorn again before riding home from work tonight...

Wow, instant improvement. It actually has acceleration up to half throttle, and top speed went up by about 5 mph. Not stock performance, thought, which I'd like to get back. (The uncovered intake is also really noisy.) Will have to play with the needle clip now, in the opposite direction that I thought that I had to move it.

The jets in carbs are matched to the application, you can't just buy the same model and assume the default jets are right for everything it could potentially be used in

Edit: Here's stock specs so long as they never used a different carb

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2022