Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
For the weekend but:

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
- Replaced throttle cables with 400E cables to work with FCR carb.
- Fixed hole in gas tank with lots of jb weld.
- Scotch taped my tail light back together temporarily.
- Replaced missing bar end.
- hammered for 30 minutes on my bent foot peg before giving up and paying Rob at Evolution Suspension $100 to bend it back with a blowtorch.
- Took my newbie rider coworker out to some twisties for his first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Got my DRZ running again finally. Fixed up the carb mostly. I really should spend a day and sort out the jetting but I seriously hate carb work and the unruly fueling is part of her personality! Also replaced the broken mirror and clutch lever and fixed the speedo cable. Just gotta replace the broken taillight and slap on some case covers and shes gonna be awesome. Maybe change the fluids at some point.

the walkin dude posted:

I installed Kerker slip-ons on my Ninja 500 to change the "buzzy" stock exhaust noise and make it louder. But not obnoxiously loud. So far I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXC630PxaQ

That does sound a hell of a lot better than the stock exhaust. Will recommend it to a friend of mine whos looking for one.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
When your bike's idle is running away like crazy and you can't find the vacuum leak, it might be the carb slide itself...

My DRZ finally runs perfectly.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

That is...impressive. I've heard of slides cracking before, but never seen one. Did you find the other piece?

Nope! And yes, the thought of how well it made it through the engine scares the crap out of me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Coming home down 880 something caused my front sprocket cover to grenade, taking with it one of the wires running into the gearbox, killing all the electronics and the bike. Had to spend the next hour MacGyvering a patch wire out of headphone cable in a hotel parking lot. Thank god I had a knife and electrical tape in my bag. And of course I then had to push start the loving thing. I hate push starting singles.

I have the worst motorcycle luck.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

:psyduck:

Any idea what it was?

No clue. Originally I thought the transmission grenaded, but it seems to be shifting just fine now. One second I was downshifting and braking preparing for traffic up a head, the next second I hear what sounds like an explosion from the left side of my bike and everything goes dead. Only thing I can guess is something managed to hop up, get caught in the chain, and slam through the sprocket cover. The cover was completely torn off and the bolts are super bent out of shape. That gold piece of metal, what is supposedly the "front chain plate" is terrifyingly close to the chain now. Need to pull everything off and see if theres any other damage and what needs to be replaced.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I spent yesterday figuring out how to remove a motorcycle from the side of a highway with no shoulder because I'm an idiot and thought my MacGyvered wiring would hold long enough to run an errand! 84 right after the Dumbarton Bridge for you bay area peeps.

Guess the upside is that first picture makes a great desktop background.

If you want to lose your faith in humanity, sit broken down on the side of the highway for a while watching thousands of people fly past.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mootmoot posted:

So for the dude who's riding the bike which now looks like a retarded minature elk, get in a car. Any fool can be wet and cold riding a bike in the rain.

I know mootmoot is our new abunchofnumbers/Jack-the-Smack style resident troll and all.

But seriously "retarded minature elk" is loving hilarious.