Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Last project was bleeding the brakes, which pumped out fluid that looked like urine from someone who hasnt had water in 4 months. :gonk: I also spent some time cleaning the chain.

Next up is fork seals and she will finally be done until something else breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

8ender posted:

A stupid little one man brake bleeder kit that I'd use after leaving the bleed screw open for a few hours with the brake lever tied closed. Its my first bike that is modern enough to have disc brakes and I went into it thinking I could bleed new brake lines like you would a car.

Also while we're on the topic, would using DOT5 fluid hurt anything? I just replaced all the lines and fittings so I figured it was a good opportunity to switch.

DOT5 is silicone and wont absorb water. This means as water gets into the system it pools against metal surfaces which can cause rust and other problems. From everything I have read on it it is not wise to use unless you flush very frequently and have lots of track use.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Gave push starting a try today on my bike. Was told it would probably make me wipe out at the end of my driveway, but everything went dandy. Since my driveway has a bit of an incline going up I just aimed at the road, and it was fired up after about 2 feet of quick push. Expected more kick when it fired up, but since my hand was already on the clutch it was feathered on when the engine fired.

Failed at push starting on a level parking lot, but took more effort to use my feet to push it up to speed and kinda lurched once and I gave up before I messed anything up since it was late.

Oh and I think the most important thing this week. Passed my first 1,000 miles of riding the bike. I think I will celebrate with another oil change and cleaning the chain. :clint:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

8ender posted:

Put new rear shocks/springs on the KZ. Those old rusted stock springs from the 70's were soft as hell due to the worn out piston. Nothing like going over a set of railroad tracks and having the bike slowly lurch up and down for a few seconds after the tracks to kill your confidence in corners.

After rebuilding the forks on my bike I think the coolest thing was going over this section of raised highway where my car usually took one full compression, one rebound and a partial compression of the shocks to absorb. Going over it on my bike the bump was captured in a slight compress and mild rebound and nothing more. Another fun thing was reconnecting the electronic brake circuit valve, which before took the fork to the bumpstops and now it barely goes down an inch under full braking.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Don't use the Kawasaki Anti-dive. You want compliance under braking, your forks do no good if they just lock up an inch through their travel. Crank down some more preload or swap to stiffer springs. That system is one of the dumber things ever put on a motorcycle.

Well it is variable, restricting the oil flow in 3 different levels. Perhaps lowering it from max to min? The problem with stiffer springs is all of the ones (well can only find one) are designed for use with the system and making me need to go for something custom based off width, length, and rate which I dont really know what to aim for. That or swapping in different forks and praying they fit.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Was midnight and I figured what better time to remove my rear shock and do drain/replace the oil. Had about an hour before I went to bed, and got it off and done surprisingly quick. Old stuff was like runny black snot, new stuff is red and purty :)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Synonamess Botch posted:

Completely rounded the hex screw on my oil filter cover and gave up cracking open the crank case on this scooter because all the Phillip's screws started to strip :sigh:

gently caress bolts that strip gently caress gently caress gently caress them!

When you eventually get them out, you need to measure those bitches down and order some high quality bolts and screws from McMaster or a local Fastenal. ;)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Degreased the ZX, cleaned most of the gunk off the wheels, and used a big brush of suds to clean the fairing. Even took time to wax it with an old sock :v:. Looking all clean and shiney now.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

Okay, ignore what I said about removing the adjuster--there's a slot in the perch. Just align the adjuster, stop collar, and perch slots (pic 3).

I dont have anything else to say except those are some of the most delightful repair shots ever. If only everyone could shoot pictures of parts with bright colors in the background :3:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Need to take the fairings off today and figure out why my bike sounded like it was wheezing through a plastic bag. I wonder if my exhaust stud nuts have loosened a tad or something. Doesn't sound like any exhaust leak I have heard, but my experience comes from cars, not bikes that redline at 12k. Sounds like a mixture of a wet fart and engine rumble.

Oh and I love the weather right now. Entire week of riding ahead :dance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

Nope. Abject failure. The oil is too light; carbs started sucking it out of the tubes almost immediately. Installed cigarette filters flow restrictors, but it was pulsing so badly there was no way it was going to work.

Next up try SeaFoam :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Helped an old guy in a Caddy with a flat tire today. Even ran across a busy street lugging his flat spare tire to fill up with air. Hoping that he won't hit me in the future while I'm riding :frogc00l:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I made my SV650 look retarded. Headlight chrome ring was rattling and making me thing of some horrible things with the engine. Currently have a few matchbook top shoved between the housing and ring to keep it in place without rattling.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Checked the front cylinder on the SV650 tonight, where I did the rear last night. Yay all valves well within spec, no need to replace shims Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Felt the need to torture myself in odd ways this week.

ZX600
Friday: adjust valves, find crazy small wrenches to loosen tappets, end up using fingernails to adjust them.
Saturday: See that carb is making GBS threads fuel everywhere, dive in, find another broken oring stick in the seat. Not exactly sure where they are coming from.
Sunday early morning: Still cleaning and inspecting carb internals, find some gunk near the pilot adjusters, clean all of that and get everything balanced correctly. Shatter glass in my carb cleaner induced haze.
Sunday afternoon: Sync carbs, reinstall carbs, enjoy the new super smooth engine.

SV650
monday: Oil filters finally arrive, yay oil change day

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Editted for :madmax: clarity.

It still baffles me. Poor IKEA cup I hardly knew thee

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well lets see.

Mounted a center stand to my SV650, and in the process my Harbor Freight low profile spool stand bent and toppled the bike over. One step forward, 2 steps back :sigh:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

It took 36 hours for my bikebandit order to arrive, that's from California to Norway.

:monocle:

Did you bribe them or something? Last time I ordered from them it was a week before anything even shipped out.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

waptang posted:

Picked up some T-Rex stands off craigslist so I could finally get around to cleaning my chain.

While cleaning the chain, I noticed there's a tight spot in it. Is this something that's going to kill me immediately, or is it alright to let it go for a while?

Also, for those of you who clean with kerosene, how do you dispose of it and any rags you use?

How long has it been since it has been cleaned and oiled? After I started using gear oil I had a tight spot that went away surprisingly quick. In regards to the cleaner and paper towels I just toss them in a trashcan and move it outside with the lid off. The stuff evaporates at a quick rate and leaves everything dry after a couple of hours. I just dont like leaving that stuff sit around since I am pretty paranoid about fires.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

waptang posted:

It's probably been about 1000 miles since it was last cleaned and lubed. I'm using the spray teflon chain wax right now, but will probably switch to regular gear oil after this can is gone.

Switch to gear oil and never look back. That poo poo attracts so much dirt and junk that you need to clean it off constantly. Gear oil uses the power of magic and dead squids to keep the chain looking shiny.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

Stabil and a battery tender :( It'll still be accessible for those 40 degree winter days, though. I've got that sinking feeling though, 30's and raining is only the beginning of winter. It's gonna be a long few months....

Hey now if its raining that must mean the ground is wet and safe to ride on :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Drove the bike into my basement today :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Took the ZX6R out for a test ride. It's still not quite legal and I'm actually kinda surprised the fairings stayed on, but I forgot how much fun a small displacement 4 cylinder can be.

I'm sure the enjoyment of reving it out will pass once I ride it for a little while longer, but just going around the block and hopping on the freeway? Fantastic fun. It also may be down a tooth in the front.

Going from a 450 pound bike to a 600 pound one hurts a little bit too. :(

Oh well, good thing they're both in my garage. :haw:

Now, since apparently I always end up with the bikes I swear I'll never own, I do say that I don't think I'll ever buy a ZX10.

(Come on, craigslist, pitch me a wrecked ZX10.)

I think I jsut found my bike... fast AND local :v:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1491391358.html

edit:

* 0-60mph = 2.90
* 0-100mph = 5.50
* 0-130mph = 8.00
* 0-150mph = 11.00
* 0-170mph = 15.50
* 0-180mph = 17.2
* 0-Death = 19.42

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

"rare fairings" == I crashed and replaced them with 400$ Chinese knockoffs.

Well at least the 954rr guy emailed me back. Negotiable on price and free delivery. :unsmith:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Starting to tear into the SV now that its parked. So far my checklist looks like this:

1. Remove all plastic, clean, dab paint over rock chips, polish with wax
2. Wait for Christmas and get my two Pelican 1550 cases mounted to my rack
3. Custom wiring for inverter and cellphone charger that will be mounted inside Pelican cases.
4. Take apart the HID light and document the various components so the other SV guys know how to set it up. Everyone deserves a light this nice on their motorcycle.
5. Remove exhaust, clean nasty poo poo off it, polish the titanium
6. Inspect spark plugs, replace if needed
7. Look into taller windscreens. The fake poo poo I have right now on the naked SV doesnt do poo poo.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I scrubbed my bikes back (fairings) in the shower today :3:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Claybar'd the rear fairings on the SV650 in the tub. Need to figure out a way to best to the gas tank, headlight mini-fairing, and front fender thing next.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
After washing claybaring my SV650 fairings in the shower a few nights ago :3: .... I finally decided to wax them as I sit in my chair watching Chuck.

If only my car was this easy to clean and wax.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Rode both my bikes. Tried out the transport 19 tank bag on the R6. It was windy as gently caress and I didn't go on the highway because I wasn't sure if it was going to stay on with the huge blasts of wind. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I was surprised how invisible that tank bag is. I expected it to be in the way or at least be noticable, but it was out of the way!

I have that same bag. As long as all four magnets are clamped in place that thing isnt going ANYWHERE. I used it all throughout the year last season in wind, rain, almost snow... and it stayed solid as a rock throughout all of it. I think the max speed I was to with that installed was around 120-130 with a crosswind strong enough to lean the bike over 10 degrees to stay in a straight line.

For me:

Drove into work today with a 600w x 2 redundant server power supply on my back... yea slightly heavy. Also lubed the chain. enjoying the nice weather :cool:

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 11, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

I just use an adjustable wrench *shrug*

Came in here to post this too. I have a shorty chopped adjustable wrench that I use with the bike and carry with me on trips. Still gives more than enough torque for getting that axle nut tight. Fun thing is you dont even need to hold the other side on most bikes... friction does that just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

needknees posted:

You don't torque your axles to a specific ft lb? :raise:

Tightened enough bolts in my years to know what is the right amount for certain applications ;)

Castle nuts are easy to do. Basically there is a range where to get the holes to line up you reach a point when you need WAY too much torque to get to the next one where the current one fits just right.

frozenphil posted:

You most certainly need to hold the other side on my 250.

I laugh at your 250 then :mmmsmug: