Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I picked my bike up from the mechanic after having a new clutch installed, only to find it's still slipping :(.

I don't know what the gently caress. Hopefully the springs weren't changed, because that means I still have 1 hope of an easy fix. If it ain't that I think it means the clutch housing is somehow damaged, and god drat I hope that's not so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Z3n posted:

Ahh, I see. I'd check your charging system just to be on the safe side. You should get 14ish volts at the battery at around 1/3rd of total RPM or 4k, whichever is lower.

Clutch springs don't really wear out in a typical motorcycle timeframe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?

Yep, 1/2 inch of play at the lever.

I could check the sprocket aswell just to make sure the nipple isn't somehow caught, pulling it slightly, but barr that I'm flat out of ideas. I literally have no idea what else could be causing it to slip, and I've consulted every mechanically minded person and book I know and have.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Old clutch was like an on/off switch, new clutch is a lot smoother.

Oh, just realised what you were asking. Both clutches slipped at about 6-7k when I accelerated quickly. The new clutch isn't spiking quite as high, but it's still doing it. The old clutch would spike horribly, essentially loosing all power for about 3-4 seconds unless I came off and applied it slowly.

kcer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 8, 2009

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
'02 YZF600R

New chain and sprockets about 3k miles ago, so I doubt it's that.

Oil is 20W-40 I believe.

In 1st and 2nd I don't notice it since I don't really open it far enough down there. 3rd, 4th and to a lesser extent 5th, it's noticable as soon as you go past about 6-7k revs with a bit of pace. 6th not so much.

The mech said he "took it round the block" and I only notice it while accelerating with a bit of a push, like on a motorway or a weekend ride.

I'll try that test tomorrow morning. It's a 4 day weekend now and I really wanted it sorted by now :(

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I don't recall. All I know was he didn't have the brand Yamaha recommend. I'll call him today and find out.

What sort of effect will temperature have on it? Before the new clutch went in, it slipped ridiculously bad on a particularly cold morning last week.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Right. I'll check when I wake up and try that test.

Thanks for the help Z3n, I'll post back on how it goes :)

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
That test checked out, though I'll try it again to be sure on the way home. I put it into 6th, set it to about 10k and it grabbed fine and dropped down. Didn't appear to hang at all.

I can't get a hold of that guy at the minute. Either he's busy or he's away for Easter.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Changed them about 3-4k miles ago. I haven't looked at the sprockets in any details, but the chain is fine and I'd imagine they are too.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
The thing is no loving better than it was before the new(?) clutch. It was awful on the ride home, so straight away I took the fairing off, opened up the clutch cover and checked the sprocket (both sprockets look great) the clutch mechanism and the push rod. They all look fine.

I've eliminated every possible option. It's not the drivetrain, it's not the clutch mechanism, it's not the cable, it's not the lever, it's not the push rod and it supposedly has a brand new clutch on. The only possible remaining choice is that he's replaced it and filled it with poo poo oil.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe your gears are stripped to all hell or you have bent shift forks? If it was just 2nd gear that's doing this, I would guarantee that's what it is. loving Yamaha transmissions.

I'm not going to do anything to it. I reset the clutch position and adjusted it and still no luck.

I'm going to give it back to him on Tuesday, tell him to sort it out or I ain't payin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Stripped apart the entire clutch from head to toe, drained the oil, pulled the plates, reset the adjuster at the top and the bottom and put it all back together.

Clutch is now officially loving working as it should. Why the hell he couldn't have checked it properly I'll never know.

Actually managed to get a decent ride out to Hartside/Alston. Best ride I've had in aaaaaaaaages.