Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mmmmmm tasty front wheel! NOM NOM NOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dumb question maybe, but what oil is in that bike kcer?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Successfully fitted a pair of Avon Roadriders today, that was excellent. Difficult for sure, but for every difficult bit the glorious internet had taught me what to expect and what to do. Replaced the rear sprocket, got a new chain waiting and replced the pads as well. Noticed I'm in for three caliper rebuilds. :(

High tech bead breaker.

Higher tech homemade balance rig, for a 1/4 of the price of a regular static balance kit I UTTERLY FAILED at making my own. :v: The axle rests against the wood and won't spin on the bearings. $30 of bearings sitting there doing jack poo poo. But my wheel bearings were good enough for smooth turning so I got good results In fact great. Front wheel had no heavy spots, rear wheel had a heavy spot right at the old weights...ripped them off - much better! :D If I get vibes on the road I'll cave and get Dynabeads. Should be an excellent test condition if I do have vibes...I'll get to try with and without and not changing anything else.

But this motherfucker cut my series of victories short. Also YUCK. Didn't have a big enough socket. Tried monkey wrenching it but just spun the engine. Ah. So that's why you loosen it before removing the chain. Lesson learned. Hopefully I'll get it finished and I can start wearing these time consuming consumables tomorrow. Any shaft driven posters may now proceed with a maximum of two (2) sentences of gloating.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I fixed my scraping disc. Turns out I had hosed up the spacer sequence on the front axle at some point last year. :blush: No permanent damage thankfully. New pads have seated well and are biting good. Took it out for a 100 mile ride, handling-wise it's now better than ever. Took some bites out of my fresh chicken strips on amazing roads which I have never been down before, awesome fun. Pics later.

Engine-wise, I've ordered a carb sync tool and colortune.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I washed globs of cow manure off my bike. Went for a 200 mile ride yesterday in the mountains, drove over plenty of tractor tracks which came from freshly fertilized fields. It was funny coming home from the trip, parking in the city and still smelling the countryside.

The tops of the mountain road had like three feet of snow piled next to the road, but the roads themselves were dry as a bone. Not funny to try attacking a switchback and finding it covered in gravel.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

darknrgy posted:

I finished adjusting my valves on my EX500 today for the first time.

Congrats!

I did it too today, my second time and got them done in just over an hour. All 16 of them. :c00l: Well, only one needed a bit of tightening, it might be because I left it slightly loose when I did it last year. Didn't really need to do it, but I'm doing a carb sync soon and wanted to make sure the valves were spot on.

I also took some pics of my beautiful cylinder head garden but don't think they came out as good as your pic.

Bike not put back together as I cleaned and replaced a gasket in the petcock and emptied some sediment from the tank. Tomorrow, put it back together, fill up with gas, change oil and filter and then hopefully I'll have time to get one of the luggage rack brackets welded before I have to go to work. So much done this spring, I feel so fullfilled!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got some brackets welded by a friend of my father's.

Originally they hold the pillion bar but it was removed to take the Givi wingrack at some point. It is either poorly mounted or the load is distributed unevenly as one of them snapped last year (it also got used as a center stand handle) and the increased load on the other caused it to snap this year... But with his excellent welding I'll take it all apart, replace bolts and hopefully it will sit straight and solid.

He has a super special edition Electra Glide with gold leaf pinstripes and more equipment than a family sedan. Poser? Hell no, he's put 13,000 miles on it since new - last April. The Sportster behind is his winter bike. Top notch guy!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I used my bike to celebrate the 17th of May, our constitution day!

Didn't take a very long ride, but got a nice panorama. http://djmarvin.org/17mai/askpano.jpg

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't think it looks better than a RAM mount but certainly cheaper and will do the job well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to Hell with all those balls and other crap to wiggle loose. The GPS snaps in tight and it has a nice range of movement. (shrug)

It looked like it couldn't move that much, but if it can that's excellent. RAM mounts are rock solid, you can lift the bike by them. But they are a tad too costly, good there's alternatives.

Today I replaced a bad vacuum hose. I had replaced the original one which worked fine but looked dry, the new one was too big and leaked, starving my carbs of fuel and leaking air into #2. The thick size meant there wasn't room for a clamp either. Anyway, I went into an auto parts store and got a stupidly expensive blue RACING SPEC 3 PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY hose which fit perfectly snug. I also tried the Colortune see-through spark plug again, didn't work. My plug did look beautifully tanned anyway.

I'm getting to the point...I do all bike work at my mom's house as I live in the city and don't have space for it. She was worried about me always wrenching on the bike and hearing about bikers getting killed on the news. As I started up I said "listen to how wonderful it idles now!" and pulled away. But as I went on down the road, it stumbled noticably and seemed to lack some power. gently caress must've screwed up the new hose. Took a quick glance down on the engine like all retards do, expecting to see some simple solution dangling in the wind clearly visible from the riding position.

Well I could. I forgot to replace the #1 spark plug cap when trying the Colortune. :kiddo: All things considered, it purrs and runs pretty well on 3 pots. 4 is like OMG smooth and powerful without vacuum leaks, I really recommend using all cylinders.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went on a ride with some guys from a Norwegian bike forum today, about 140 miles.

Scraped my foot peg wooooop so proud!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On my bike, removing the front wheel is enough weight shift for the bike to tip over on the rear. You can just prop it up with some wood blocks under the bike in front of the stand, or ratchet strap the rear to something heavy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I ordered a set of Intiminators (worst name ever) for the SV. The bike's under cover since it's been pouring rain the past couple days. :(

VERY interested in hearing your before/after opinions on this. Weather gods, stop being dicks and let Endless Mike work! :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did alignment the other day. Looks like it's a tad off... :raise:

There, that's better.

Basically you set the lines parallell with the front wheel, measure that the width is equal to the rear wheel width, then tune the adjustment screws by hand until the lines just touch the front end of the wheel. Quite easy, I can explain in detail if wanted.

Also decided to lower my front end for quicker steering. actually I balanced the fork oil levels

And gave it a good clean and polish job. Nice. Now ready for a 3 day trip through some of Norway's absolute finest roads. Weather report is slightly iffy, but MEH! LET'S GO!

edit: let's go monday morning I mean, two 12 hour shifts at work first...

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

Huh. I hadn't actually thought of doing a calibrated alignment like that. Would you mind posting a bit more on the actual steps involved?

I'll make a thread of it as it is easy to do and many should know how to do it. But tomorrow, now sleep.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Took the rotozip to my airbox and replaced what I cut with a couple of pod filters :c00l: . I can access my jets A LOT easier now

Which is a good thing as you will be rejetting it every week trying to get it to run right. :v:

Just finished packing the bike, off on a 3 day trip in western Norway's finest terrain. Catch you later! :cool:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

What would even cause that sort of wear? Weird.

I think it's because the needle rattles around in the jet when riding.

I just got a home from my trip. 1217 km, 3 days, the best scenery and roads of western Norway and a full flash card of pics. I've got about 500 panoramas to stich, and right now I have some beer to drink, so expect megareport tomorrow.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went for a ride with some internet people, didn't get far. :( A guy backed into me at a gas station, bike went over and clutch lever broke. We agreed on a cash deal, he gave me ~$190. Just ordered the clutch lever, it was $10. :D

Some scratches on the stator cover and mirror, but I can live with that.

edit: at least I have the day to finish my ride report.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh man more pics of internal carnage please!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1. Put my new clutch lever on. Nice.

2. Cleaned and lightly oiled my air filter, less bogging but still there. Gonna spring for the K&N drop-in replacement as it's worn.

3. Parked on shards of glass. :( Didn't notice when I pulled up. Thankfully it was just a wine glass or something, to thin and brittle to cut into rubber. Still sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good job!

I went for a nice ride in the HOT weather. Bought a tank bag and summer gloves. Took some pictures but my camera decided not to store the files. :confused:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Scandinavian talking about hot weather :rolleyes: It hit 105.1F , or 40.6C for you Europeans, here in dallas and we we goddamnwell liked it.

Haha!

When it hits 85 F here we pretty much stop functioning. My black leathers are surprisingly comfortable in hot weather, the surprise being "I don't die right away". Got some mesh gear on order from bikebandit, but they haven't shipped yet. Hope it gets here before July 20th and my eurotrip!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Well I've changed oil on cars (turbo ones even) that only take 3.5 quarts. For a relatively small 800 or 600cc motor it seems like a nice surplus.

Remember your motor oil is also your gear oil. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

I went for a nice ride in the HOT weather. Bought a tank bag and summer gloves. Took some pictures but my camera decided not to store the files. :confused:

I forgot to mention what I took pictures of. I hit my first bird. :( Saw him go under and flap around in the mirror. I turned to check out the little feller, looked like he had gone clean under the wheel, broke its back and died right away.

Birds. They can fly so high yet they insist on crossing roads at 1 ft of altitude.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got my mesh jacket and textile pants today, in addition to some other odds and ends from bikebandit. Holy hell UPS is fast. The package was scanned into their system Monday evening, then delivered to me Wednesday afternoon. Do they use cargo rigged jet fighters or something?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phy posted:

Yes, but they keep them fuelled by their usurious handling charges and brokerage fees.

I don't think it was that bad. I had to pay VAT and so on for importing capitalist goods into Soviet Norway, but usually that comes on a separate invoice. Now it was displayed under shipping costs before I ordered. $80 isn't small coins, but for US -> Norway like ZOOOOM and delivered to my door, it's pretty good value.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Took a trip to find the Blair Witch...some woman in an SUV tried to merge into me

Mission accomplished. :tinfoil:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jdonz posted:

Did you get your bike sorted out Ola?

I've received a new coil, but haven't had time to put it on yet. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An open letter.

Dear local Suzuki dealer:

What the hell? I ordered two tiny gaskets, 8 days later they still haven't arrived. It took 36 hours for my bikebandit order to arrive, that's from California to Norway. On my job we regularly send stuff from Bergen to Oslo, it takes one business day. Your supplier couldn't manage those tiny things (which they had in stock) for a whole drat week. You even blamed your supplier for having a skeleton crew on the summer holiday and expected me to join your side and we could both smile and shake our heads at them.

gently caress that, your supplier is part of your value chain and my customer experience is just as lovely if they gently caress up as if you do. My entire weekend is jam packed, I have no time to work on the bike after Thursday. I leave for motherfucking Europe on Monday morning with a huge oil leak due to your ineptitude. If my poo poo haven't arrived tomorrow, I will never ever set foot in your store again.

PS I noticed you said you were closed on Saturday due to a family marriage, I hope it ends with childlessness, plague, death and the end of your empire.

PPS I hope the supplier's holiday consists mostly of traffic jams and being stung by jellyfish

PPPS gently caress YOU

In other news, on my way to the dealer, I ran out of gas for the first time for real. I thought I had more gas, perhaps it has evaporated a bit since I parked it over a week ago. Anyway I started losing throttle response on the highway, uphill and on reserve. By the time I had turned off it, only the last 3/4 of throttle responded. Coasting through the last light (green thank god) it finally quit. I coasted downhill, turned left into the station with no traffic coming towards me and stopped at the pump, didn't have to push it in a inch. A bit of luck in a unlucky day, as I also got the flu today.

There, rant over.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

:monocle:

Did you bribe them or something? Last time I ordered from them it was a week before anything even shipped out.

Shipping wasn't cheap and it did take a little while for all things to be packed, but once it was registered into the UPS system it flew here like on the tip of a ballistic missile.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A bit of good news, got the new (used) coil mounted and my girl is firing like a champ on all four.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haha, smash a hole and be greeted - not by spiders - but a motorcycle! :shobon:

1) I would feel slightly uncomfortable with that. Check out the parts drawings (over at bikebandit.com for instance) and see if all the parts are there and they look similar. Also see if the axle has been cut, it might have had poor threads on the end which the PO sawed off.

2) It might leak, it might not. If it does, drain the oil in a clean container and put it back in.

3) I use a translucent hose, pump until there's no bubbles/dark fluid and then some more.

4) Mine had these too in the filter. Scared me real good, but apparently not too abnormal. Probably from the gearbox says the internet.

5) Threads are nice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I packed its bags. Now to get some sleep. In 10 hours I hit the ferry bound for Europe! See ya!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Made it to a hotel in Aalborg, northern part of Denmark. Only 45 mins away from the final ferry tomorrow morning. Did Provence to here in two days, 2000 km or about 1240 miles in total.

1000 km is a long rear end ride for a day, that is just about my personal limit. The body says "aaah, gonna be nice to pull over and call it day any moment now" at about 750 km but the GPS is just "ahem, well, you see there is still that last tank of gas to burn". About 5750 km / 3570 mi in total for this trip, about 4500 km of that is straight Autobahn, Autostrada, Autoroute, Autowhatever, so my lovely Avon Roadriders are getting seriously flatspotted. :( People who live in areas without curves have my sympathies.

The oil leak I thought I fixed persisted throughout the trip. Like some ninja version of Exxon Valdez, I have killed small amounts of wildlife here and there throughout the continent. I'm on my fifth bottle of oil since starting, so the good news is the oil change I would've needed to do underway according to the service manual was actually done gradually. If I remained under 120 kph it consumed very little, but if I tucked in and yanked on the wire the sightglass would go from 3/4 full to bottom line in one tank of gas. Yikes. But whatevs, it will be fixed.

Next Eurotrip will have shorter daily legs and planned to avoid straight highways as much as possible, although a few transport stages are just fine. And the next Eurotrip should also have, if I'm honest with myself, a bike that was produced after the cold war ended. Not that it has behaved badly all things considered. Regardless of the oil leak and sometimes running low it has never missed a single scheduled opportunity to ignite gas and air or otherwise failed to do what it was told. The only issue that came up was the GPS losing power and that was because the mini USB intended for use inside a car got wonky, some duct tape set it straight. And that's not even an actual bike part. But some more touring comfort, some (maybe even a lot) more gimme-now torque and some brake and suspension technology from a post Y2K world would do me good. We'll have to see what the gathering of the Elder Moths of the Wallet has to say about that.

Oh and smoking finally paid off. The only available room in the hotel in Aalborg for smokers was a suite with balcony and two bathrooms (for single room rate), so now I can just poo poo all over the place!

Have almost 800 pics, but the little netbook I'm using is terrible for handling images. Teaser pics Monday morning, promise. Now I need to get to work on a bottle of Chablis.

edit: Oh and another bike issue was me riding over 40 km without the oil cap after forgetting to put it back on after filling. What a complete idiot I am. Sprayed oil all over the engine and my leg, but not enough to empty the sightglass so the engine didn't mind at all. Unless maybe some butterfly went in there and will block some passage tomorrow morning. Talk about user error.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have made it all the way home, rolled off the boat at 8 am this morning, 1 mile home, sleep and then went to work at 3 pm. When I get home (4 hrs) I'll post some teaser pics and then get to work on a trip report.

Oil leak turned way worse the last two nights. The hotel in Aalborg has a nice puddle of 10w40 in their garage, so does the motorcycle parking on the ferry (wiped it as best I could) and so does my regular parking site. At least I am home with all my bones and bearings intact.

Trip totals:

Distance: 5889 km / 3659 mi
Oil filled: 4.5 liters / 1.18 US gal
Moments of great stupid: 2
Wasp stings at speed: 2
Bugs killed: 4 million, maybe more.
Pictures taken: ~850

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just uploaded a few random trip preview pics before going to work. Late shift this week so hard to get good time for writing, but will start on a bg trip report soon. Not sure what the best thread was to dump them in, but this will do fine.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 4, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

8ender posted:

A lane just for bikes :aaaaa:

Actually it's a lane just for breakdowns and emergency vehicles, with steep fines for misuse. :angel:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You swing the kickstand out right as you pull up. :c00l:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

You lock up the rear, slide it out to the left, then whip to the right, power sliding to a stop and kick the kickstand down as the bike naturally settles and hop off the bike.

Supermoto dismount

And then you go into the supermarket all parkour like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7R8Ht-1lo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I keep my laptop horizontal in its carrying bag inside the top box. Ride on cobblestone with 80s suspension quite often. Hasn't died. Yet.