Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The world is a set of scales you see. For riding too. If you can lane split and the weather is nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is California. If you can lane split and the weather isn't nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zool posted:

Crashed it three times.

I'll take you bait sir. Elaborate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I haven't done anything to the bike specifically the past days, but I've ordered/bought tons of poo poo for many hours of winter project fun.

- Steel braided brake hoses all around
- New brackets for the headlight
- Shifter and clutch arm seals for my oil leak
- Tools for prying the shifter seal out, I really hope they work because that fucker is stuck
- Oil / filter
- Grey and matt black paint for touch ups
- New rear shock from Hagon.

Took a long while to decide on which shock to go for. I could probably have done well with some slightly used Ohlins from eBay but it's such a gamble with what fits, correct spring rates and so on. The one from Hagon has remote preload, linked compression/rebound adjust and most importantly: a red sexy spring. I'm concerned about internet rumours concerning leaks and possibly a chance it can't take my bike's full gross weight - at least it's got 2 years warranty. The other aftermarket shocks were either too expensive or not enough features.

Still to come: sintered pads up front to see if it helps wet braking (will prob wait until late Feb to do those) and last but not least Race Tech cartridge emulators for plush forks. I need to take the forks apart and measure the damper rod to be absolutely sure which part I need, so that too will have to wait until the rear end is done. I'm still thinking about replacing my old instrument cluster for a new and sexy German one, but that's quite a lot of money for very little quality of life enhancement. Same with bigger side panniers.

Will probably do another overseas order for odds and ends depending on how the swingarm bearings/bushings look after I take it apart. Since it's quite a lot to do I might make a project thread out of it.

tl;dr: I'm not buying a new bike in 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chairon posted:

I gained access to the Voodoo that is my transmission. Really wish I could find the charger for my camera, but the iPhone will do.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

too many gears!

:smug:

This is how I saw your posts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lookin mean!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Thanks! I still kinda can't believe that I've taken a bike from boxes to a real motorcycle, it's funny to go down to the garage and see a 3rd bike where before there was only a pile of parts.

I might be remembering poorly but it came as a working bike or a rolling chassis right? Have you ever run its engine?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I grinned like an idiot the whole time.

Something like this?

Very appropriate username by the way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The NonBornKing posted:

Do you have a goldwing? Why is there a standard definition television actuator on your bike?

High def TVs weren't introduced until MY2006.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Radbot posted:

For one thing, not following the law on a motorcycle won't get F/18s scrambled.

The guys in the supermoto thread might disagree.

A liter bike has a higher top speed than a Cessna 172. A Busa is actually faster than the Cessna's Never Exceed speed, its structural limits.

I'd love to get into flying though, and I'd enjoy the hell out of a club 172. But the PPL is just too expensive in Norway. We might be getting some equivalent to the Sports Pilot's License eventually, but right now I'm considering something like this:

Costs the same as a 2 year old R1200GS and is easily outrun by my GSX in 3rd gear. But it's cheap, accessible and probably fun as hell.

If money was no issue...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh I think I'd deal with that highly controlled bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3kl2kXe6c

Then after the military career is over, chase the PTSD demons down the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXO16bTySHQ

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Helicopters don't fly, they're so ugly the ground repels them.

Anyway, today I ignored my bike for about the 162nd day in a row. It's hard to find time to work on it and it's impossible in this cold weather anyway. Better days, please come soon.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zool posted:

Good computer, I would have gone with the Trail Tech headlight as well though.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

Hmmm! This would look good on a streetbike as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schmitty posted:

anti-squeal cream

They should sell that at health spa stores.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

The sickness begins when you start cutting through school hallways.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That is amazing. Lying on the sofa, eyes half closed, one hand under the head, the other wielding a feeler fauge.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

wrecked it. some person in a ford explorer ran a stop sign and t-boned me. now i'm lying in a hospital bed with a broken hip and wondering what the bike looks like

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon and hope the loving piece of poo poo driver gets flayed with a rusty fork.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

Apparently 30 minutes isn't long enough. I completely snapped the tip off my Craftsmen that fit well, and then 30 minutes of wd40 later broke a handle on a bit driver...

I don't have anything else that fits well enough not to strip it until I make a trip to the store, so it'll soak all night! 28 years to get stuck, 28 swear words uttered. so far...

If you have a screwdriver with a hole at the end, put something through that hole for leverage. And push as hard as you can inward on the screwdriver, or tap with a rubber mallet. And when it's out, replace it with a hexhead bolt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lane split through the morning rush for the first time this year today. It sure is fun and easy to go past about 700 cars but there is an element of unnecessary risk to it. I'm glad I don't do it every day.

Google Maps link to the most congested bit (the google car went there in low traffic). Two lanes, one in each direction. 40 mph speed limit, decent view ahead. You definitely have to plan four or five seconds ahead, no straying into the opposite lane unless you can see an opening two-three seconds ahead. It would suck to be outside a truck with another truck coming towards you. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:siren: MY ASIAN YET UGLY BIOLOGY RESEARCH ASSISTANT :siren:

Today I rode like an absolute retard through traffic. Why is it so hard to make sane decisions about passing? This isn't me putting on a tough guy act either, well maybe a bit, but I need to tone down my desire to pass anything and everything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did my valves, 3 were slightly loose but only adjusted one as I couldn't find the tools I had bought specifically for doing it and didn't want to risk doing any damage to the adjuster or locknut. The remaining two are only barely out of spec and on the loose side, so it's fine. Also found a smoking gun for the rattle I've had, a strip of the valve cover was worn just where an electrical connector might get jammed between the valve cover and tank. No rattle afterward and cam chain seemed perfect.

Also did some experiments with on-bike self portrait, courtesy of a RAM mount, Chinese remote timer and $10 Chinese wide angle adapter (comes with a pile of vignetting and all the chromatic aberration you can ask for).

Should have set shutter priority a tad longer, would've gotten less noise and more speed blur. Instead of a proper Olympus wide angle lens (which would be really scary considering how it all was shaking on the RAM mount), I think a cheaper and more practical solution would be the GoPro HD...but that won't have exposure settings.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had the same temp while riding to work this morning. It was even snowing densely for 5 minutes or so, puckered me up real good but the road only got wet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Da-yum, what did the rotor look like?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's a good idea to pull the clutch if the engine breaks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Welcome to why I only ride bikes on the street with low HP :(

I'll have an update tonight on what's been going on with my bikes. :sigh:

Having ridden a ZZR 1400 today, I can understand why you got rid of yours. Any feeling of the powerband is like:

WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAH....oh lord brake brake brake.

Speed limit destroyed at the bolded letter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I rode my bike at 62 kph in a 50 kph zone and got lasered by the man.

Got fined 2900 NOK / $474 :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Actually the police woman who wrote the ticket was very pleasant. She said she rode bikes herself, asked if I was freezing and some other idle chit chat. The fines are set by national standards and it's not something the officer can change according to whim/situation.

So dumb because I wasn't really thinking about my speed or in any hurry. Could just as well have been doing 50 kph. Good thing they didn't set up in a 50 zone a few km earlier, I was doing 105 kph there...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Does the cop's laser report back to the HQ or are they just tight asses? Cops here sometimes write you up for less then you were doing, or just let you off with a warning. I think I've gotten a ticket for 5 over when he said I was doing 15 over before.

Tight asses. The laser gun automatically detracts 3 kph for error tolerance, other than that it's by ze book. You can of course dispute it, but it very rarely works and is a huge hassle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Geez, I feel like I jinxed you from my post in your thread. Sorry dude. :(

No worries dude, no rush with the paypal or anything but we all know which way these scores will become settled.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: completely wrong thread

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NASA implemented the metric system gradually, the Mars Climate Orbiter mission used 50% metric measurements in their software.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Scrapez posted:

That just sounds like a really bad idea but I'm guessing they're a lot smarter than I.

Consider your intelligence well validated.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have no weights on the front tire and 5 g on the rear. Super smooth from zero to top speed. :c00l:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Are you using the beads in the front? Or just no weight period?

No weight period, haven't tried the beads. Just the dot on the tire aligned with the valve. Did a static balance with the regular axle, found a heavy spot - right on the weight that was there. Ripped it off, no problems.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Icept posted:

On a scale to 1-10, how crucial is changing the air filter at this point in time?

It's a foam filter isn't it? Just shake out all the flies and dirt and give it a light coating of oil and it'll be good for thousands of miles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I did absolutely nothing to my ride. But I am more than half way through my 3 month suspension (license suspension that is, not an Öhlins graduate course). At least the weather has been quite crap and when it hasn't been crap I've been hiking in the mountains and getting in better shape.

:emo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

I would happily eat from those and the meal would be all the better for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir.Tucker posted:

Got my first bike in March. Have been working on it since then and finished yesterday.

The bike sat for over 5 years so the following is what I've done so far.

Avon Road Rider Tires.
Oil Change.
New Vacuum and Fuel Lines. New Fuel Filter.
Removed Upper Half Fairing.
Installed GSX Headlight.
Plastics and Tank painted Gloss Black.
Street fighter Renthal Bars & Ends.

Before:

After:

Stuff to look forward to:

Pod Filters
Bar End Mirrors
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
Dual Rotor front brakes

Quoting this for next page, bloody hell that looks good. Red, black and a dash of white, the proper colors of a motorcycle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Putting a new style logo on an old style bike is pretty cool by the way. Think it works on a lot of types.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kylej posted:

Went to give the bike a wash today and saw this.

Some little bastard likes my SV enough to set up shop :)

AWWWWWW :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought about rigging up two different horns with a button each.

One soft and happy like meep meep :haw:

and one AAAAAAA gently caress YOU TOOOOOOT :mad:

Those emoticons would be good symbology on the buttons.