Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I bought it! And rode it home!

Its a 2004 EX250, in (hopefully highly visible) yellow. It is in excellent shape, with only some minor scuffing on the right side from what looks like a really low speed lay-down. It ran perfectly for the 25 miles it took to get home. I picked up a disc lock for it, though I'll be parking it in our apartment's gated lot tonight thanks to our awesome manager fudging the rules for us. All I need now is a tank/seat bag and I'll be perfectly content. What a fun little bike.

Some pics:

The bit of damage:

Plus a tiny bit on the right exhaust pipe and a microscopic scratch on the front brake lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Check the second discussion thread for pics. I removed/drained the tank, found a treasure trove of silt and rust particles, and I'll be cleaning the carbs today/tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can get it to a rideable condition before next week. I also recharged the battery after draining it trying to start the bike for two days.

I've only owned it for about two weeks, rode it for one. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I cleaned and lubed the chain for the first time since I've had the Ninja, and in celebration I drove all over the Santa Monica Mountains!

I rode to Santa Monica via the boulevard of the same name, then took PCH north until I reached the Mulholland Highway just west of Malibu. Took that back (slowly) all the way until it ends in Topanga Canyon. Went down Topanga Cyn. Blvd, back to PCH, back to Santa Monica, and finally back through the beginning of rush hour traffic to Hollywood.

About 110 miles altogether, by far the longest ride I've done yet. The second longest is about 25, when I brought the bike home from Reseda.

My first stop, somewhere early on Mulholland Hwy. I didn't take too many pictures this time out, too busy having a blast riding.

The Malibu Country Club, as far as I can tell. These canyon roads have some astounding views.

Now I'm off to ice my clutch hand, as my wrist is painfully sore...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I haven't done poo poo since Monday, because it's been stuck at the shop waiting for a new cam chain tensioner that must've shipped from loving Japan or something. Supposed to be here today, and when I called I got a new estimate of Friday. Fuuuuck.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got my tank bracket bolts to replace the two that were cross threaded by the previous imbecile owner, a new set of pads for the front brakes, and I picked the bike up from the dealership after 6 agonizing days of waiting for a new cam chain tensioner to come in.

Scrubbed in the new front tire a little on the way home, and got happy again. :D

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

shaitan posted:

I washed mine after a nice 200 mile stroll around upstate ny this weekend. Cleaned the chain and lubed it up, first time for me actually doing the chain...and hell first time washing the whole bike too.

Saturday I went all the way around Cayuga Lake, one of the finger lakes, I decided to make it my goal to ride around the major finger lakes in the region this summer.

That sounds like fun. I've driven in a car around Keuka a couple times, I'd really like the chance to get back up there on a bike.

Fun Fact: Natives of WNY pronounce Cayuga and Keuka nearly identically.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Rode it in actual rain for the first time. Went well enough I suppose, though now it needs a bath (as does my helmet).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Discovered that the right side mount for my gauge cluster is either broken or wasn't attached correctly by the shop that last worked on the bike. The front fairing was wedged against it, instead of underneath it like it should be. When I popped it back into position, the gauge cluster flopped around a little bit. I'll be taking it apart later this afternoon to see what's up.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlueBayou posted:

fixed the coolant line with a 50c bolt and some teflon tape. or at least I hope I fixed it.

idle readjustment and coolant adding tomorrow

Make sure you adjust when its warmed up! :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just finished epoxying the lone right side mount back together on the gauge cluster housing. I think the loving shop I took the bike to last broke it off trying to get the front fairing back on. :argh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did baby's very first oil change since I've owned the bike. The last change was when I took it to the shop, roughly 2000 miles ago and the oil was looking rather dark through the sight glass. I'm probably just blind, but whatever, I wanted to switch to Rotella T anyway. Changed the filter, checked the oil screen (covered in what looked like gasket material, probably never checked before), bolted everything back up and filled her with a sweet graduated funnel that I got at Wal-mart. It has a on/off valve and a length of tube. Makes it very easy to put exactly how much I want into the case.

I need to get my hands on an inch-pounds torque wrench to check the oil screen cover. It calls for the generic 6mm torque value of 60 in-lbs for the bolts, which according to Wolfram-Alpha is 5 ft-lbs. The torque wrench I borrowed from Autozone didn't seem to be clicking at the right torque (it was almost all the way out). I just tightened them by feel for now, and I'm keeping a close eye on them until I can grab my own torque wrench.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Ugh Italian bikes.

:psyduck:

Husky as in Husqvarna? I thought they were Swedish?

p.s. not defending the Italians in any way.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Not my ride, but I disassembled my helmet pads and washed them for the first time. A couple of the plastic tabs that hold them in place got a little stretched/distorted when I pulled them out, I hope I did it right. :ohdear:

Waiting for them to dry so I can go for a ride.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Rolled over 12k on the clock. :c00l:

~2100 miles in about 4 months, I need to pick up the pace!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I had a 3 or 4 inch wheelie on mine leaving work one day, as I neglected to even pull the clutch in before shifting into 1st from neutral. Choke was still on, and it was "idling" around 7k as a result. Popped the front up, and immediately stalled the bike, thank god. I was pointed right at the bigass Isuzu across the tiny lot.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I reinforced my theory that I can get anywhere in LA within 30 minutes regardless of traffic. Took it to SMC to test/interview for a sweet position. *crosses fingers*

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Thought you were cooking some lunch on a particularly hot day there, for a second.

Yes, I know that doesn't even make sense. Its just what my eyes saw before my brain interjected. :downs:

P.S. do you have a Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen near you? They usually lend out tools (like torque wrenches) for free. I had to "buy" it, and they refunded the total when I brought it back.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Not too shabby for never having done this before and having 20 year old foam. Still looks alot better then it did all torn up.

Lookit that Ninja looking all dejected in the background...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

I checked the valves, changed the oil, took some suspension measurements, and then put it down for a nap.

Yikes, did it fall all the way off the stand? :ohdear:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Scraped my first peg. :smug:

...actually it made me poo poo my pants a little. Was riding around Palos Verdes with a buddy, and on the very first turn heading south on Palos Verdes Dr. E, I heard the sound of metal on asphalt halfway through the turn. Picked the bike up a little, moved off the seat a little more, and continued on my merry way.

And then we went to look at a busted rear end FZ1 with a cracked and bent subframe in the back, that apparently has been consuming gas tank bolts. My friend politely declined, and suggested the guy part it out instead.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 12, 2009

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

As to my bikes...today they got pushed around in the storage unit in prep for moving to a new place with a 2 car garage! :woop:

Jealous. It only rained for 2 days straight down here and I'm already tired of dealing with a wet cover.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I beat the frost off the seat this morning. Its not supposed to get cold enough for frost in LA!

Can't wait to park it in the new garage after this weekend. :D

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Switched over to gear oil for the chain, since I couldn't find anywhere that sold the Teflon spray I was using before. Cheaper, and faster even! Smelled some burning oil yesterday, its probably flinging a little onto the exhaust.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Took the Ninja 500 in Cycle Stop here in Rochester yesterday for a new rear tire yesterday, a Sport Demon. I've been riding on a bald Sport Demon since Nov/Dec, and I lasted this long while riding whenever I could. I got it back with the clutch cable lubed up and the chain cleaned up. There's a definite difference with clutching in, and I'm quite happy.

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

Where is that on campus? Its been almost two years since I was last there, but the windows look really familiar. Right near the quarter mile bridge?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Watommi posted:

TODAY I...

Went for a nice little 45 minute ride to soothe the cravings.

When I got home, just to see what would happen, I jumped off without putting down the kickstand! (I forgot)

clutch lever? broke
footpeg? broke
shifter? broke

Why the heck are OEM footpegs $75 apiece? :argh:

I did this about a month ago, but thanks to the Ninja being so drat tiny I saved it well beyond the point I thought that I could. I think my left peg had already touched down.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I had a staring contest with some hot piece of rear end as she crossed the street directly in front of me while I waited for the light. She finally looked away when she started to stray from the crosswalk, then looked back once she reached the far side. :c00l:

Yeah I almost crashed like four times thinking about it afterwards, what of it?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Cleaned out the area under the drive sprocket cover. Not as crusted with poo poo as I was expecting.

Also adjusted the chain slack, and I'm about to take it out for a test ride. Hope I torqued everything properly!

*never posts again*

edit 'cause I'm not dead: What a loving difference 10 mm of chain slack makes. Shifts like its brand new again, no jerking around when shifting, etc. I also didn't realize I could actually adjust the height of the shifter, I might try it out like one spline lower.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 9, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Virago WAS going to be running today, but I've been dragged to art events for the remainder of the evening. I at least picked up fuel line, oil filter and plugs, so hopefully tomorrow! Just gotta clean the carb and remember where everything goes...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got the Virago running! Thought the rear cylinder wasn't firing, forgot that the "exhaust" for it is actually just for show. Its a 2-1 to the lower pipe.

Having issues with it not wanting to rev up once it starts and idles just fine. I can rev it as much as I want as long as I goose it right as I start it, but once it idles, any throttle input kills it. Also didn't want to idle without choke, even once it warmed up.

Probably won't get to take it around the block until next weekend. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got halfway through an oil change when I realized I never got a new oil filter cover gasket.

The first filter I bought included both gaskets for the cover right in the box. The last two have not.

loving Hollywood Honda wants like $7 for them too. :mad:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Tried to sort out the Virago not wanting to go above idle, opened up the float bowl after draining it. There was about a half gallon of gas in the tank. Went in for dinner after kind of half-assedly putting the float bowl cover loosely back over the important bits with a couple screws, came out again an hour or two later to find the remainder of the gas from the tank all over the bike/ground. :sigh:

The petcock was set to "on," this one is just "on/res/prime" so I thought it shouldn't have done that. Oh well.

Although I did sit next to the intake with some starter fluid, and the idle increases when I shoot a little into the airbox, so I think its a fueling thing. I guess the screw being like 4 turns out wasn't entirely compensation for dirty carb.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Its been a long while since I've posted anywhere in CA, apparently I've been just as neglectful of the Ninja. :(

Checking out the grease coated center stand and surrounding areas last night after traveling on the freeway at 80 MPH for about 20 miles (like every day), I noticed a long bolt sort of hanging out of its hole, not doing its boltly duty. It was coated in grease/grime as well, so I think it's been out for a while. It was trapped by the frame, which explains why it didn't disappear like the nut/washer did. Turns out its the lowest engine mount bolt!

Got a replacement nut/washer this morning, and that extra vibration that I've been noticing for a couple weeks, as well as the whine at higher speed are both gone. Its also shifting more smoothly. :gonk:

I really need to clean the whole underside and check everything out. Also wire those loving nuts in place.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Finally finished registering it! Now my lazy rear end is all that's keeping me from riding again (painting my new $50 helmet instead of just loving wearing it).

Maybe by 2011 I'll be able to enjoy the SV.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Left it at work under a cover and took the van home. gently caress this rain. :tubular:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got the Pitbull rear stand today. Gonna pull the SV1 rear tire and maybe try and change it myself, I dunno if I'll have the motivation come the weekend.

I had the stand delivered to work for some reason, when the bike it is intended for is at home. With a flat. Which I need the stand to pull off. :doh: Guess I'm taking the van home tomorrow.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Took the long way home from work through the mountains north of Brentwood to scrub in the new rear tire today, had a nice ride all the way home, and slowly laid the SV down on its side at my driveway because I forgot the kickstand. :doh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sunset?

Came from Glendale up the 101 to Coldwater, down to Sunset, then out on Sunset to the 405. I live in the West Adams neighborhood.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'll look into the torx bolts for sure, since that's probably even more secure than a chain & padlock, as a junkie is much more likely to have bolt cutters than a torx set.

Even better, look for security Torx (they have a pin in the center of the head that prevents a regular torx from working) or Spanner head/Snake eye (two small dots in an otherwise flat head) for maximum anti-crackhead.

McMaster-Carr is a great place to get oddball fasteners like these, though depending on the bolt size you may end up with a pack of 25 even if you only need 2. Plus they'll sell you the individual bit or driver you need for whatever screw size you get.

[/overkill]

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've got my ratty, paint-scratching tank bag tied to the pillion of the SV with some rope right now, so I have some luggage space while the Ninja sits awaiting a fuel smell diagnostic. I eagerly await the UV-accelerated failure of either the (presumably synthetic) rope or the nylon webbing holding the D-rings on the bag.

I need to break down and just get a hard case for the SV. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How difficult are SV valves? I've got an SV1000, but I'm assuming the process is at least a little similar to the more common 650...? Debating whether I want to take it to Hollywood Honda and have them do that plus some other basic maintenance stuff for their flat $~280 price, or spend Sunday swearing at my bike again. Already have all the tools, so its just a matter of convenience.

Bike's got around 8500 miles on it. Apparently the interval is like 15k, but I'm the 3rd owner at least, and I don't know if its ever even been checked. Its also 6 years old and the intervals recommend checking every 2.