Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Finally made myself remember to order the time sert kit for the SV's oil drain threads during work, as they are closed by the time I'm usually out in the afternoon. Keeping everything that is crossable, crossed that it goes smoothly and I don't leave aluminum shavings floating around in the case. I'll be filling it with poo poo oil and changing it again after ~50 miles or so, to be sure.

Between that whole debacle, the CA DMV wanting hundreds of dollars worth of inspections done to the Ninja to reregister it as salvage (I'm considering parting it out because of that and some other little issues), and seeing both of them, sitting there helplessly stranded in the garage in various states of disassembly, every morning as I get on the dinky little Virago to head to work, I've been in a pretty depressed moto mood lately. I really feel like I need an injection of sumo at some point soon. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got my thread repair insert kit a day or two ago and finally tackled it earlier. The whole process went pretty smoothly, once I devised a way to get the bike high enough off the ground to fit my drill underneath. I also discovered that I am capable of lifting the front end if need be.

It is goddamn terrifying going at your cheesy-soft aluminum block with a 9/16" drill bit, I tell you hwat.

Inserting the... insert. I recommend time-serts if you ever find yourself in this predicament, the kit is very nice and even comes in a little case! Nothing beats nice new taps and counterbores and other machine-y stuff.

Flushing out all of the sparkles that I couldn't get with my pinky. I'm sure there's a couple that didn't make it out, I'll be changing the oil again after I get home from work on Monday and have put a couple dozen miles on it.

The aftermath of the initial problem. I feel the need to keep them to remind me of the cost of failure or something.

All in all the new steel threads make me much more confident for future oil changes. I've also convinced myself to pay loving attention to the weak click of my torque wrench at the lower values.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 12, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That's a pretty nice alternative and I'll consider them in the future. I'm not sure if time-sert sells the inserts by themselves, but some of the bits were standard sizes (9/16" drill, M14x1.25 roll forming tap for the insert install tool). One thing I will say that I like about the time-serts over any others that I've seen is the fact that the insert is physically locked into the surrounding material by way of the installation tool threading the last couple threads inside and pushing the material outwards. It also ended up with a nice flush surface on the outside for the crush washer to seat against, almost as if none of this poo poo ever happened.

EZ-Lok is really close to me which would have been nice. Eh, hopefully its something I never have to worry about again!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

niethan posted:

I rattlecanned my KLR today, it looks p good from afar

But I used the wrong kinda tape for masking so it's got a lotta bleeding

Whatever, it's a KLR

I know, I know, whatever, its a KLR and you cleaned it up anyway, but next time lay down a coat of the base color once you mask off, and it will seal the edges of the tape before you put the second color on. Works wonders.

VV Even with blue or green tape I'll occasionally get bleed. Even a clear spray that matches the base sheen works.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 20, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got paid for it. :whatup:

Getting approximately 33% more than what I paid a year and a half ago for the SV1k. Gonna send them invoices for gear later, and talk about injury compensation as well.

I'm gonna miss those grunty 996 cc's, but I don't really know what's next. Some of this will go towards getting the Ninjette back on the road in the meantime. I'm still jonesing for a DRZ or SMC 690 but I don't think that's in the cards for a while.

e; Jesus, just saw the 60 month 0% financing from Suzuki. Maybe that DRZ is closer than I thought. :swoon:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 24, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Financing a DRZ is just silly. Buy a nicely modded one for 4k and be happy.

Yeah, reason took over pretty much immediately after I posted that. I haven't seen one on a local lot in a while, anyway.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Mega pro tip when spraying a color on top of a different color: for an extra crisp line with zero bleed, mask off your area, then spray one more coat of the first color over the area to be painted the next color. If you didn't spray a base color you can use a compatible clear spray before you spray the next color. This seals the edge of the mask and prevents any of the next color from bleeding under.

(Those shots look pretty drat good even if you didn't do that, SaNChEzZ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Spent all goddamn day at the DMV, but I finally nutted up and got the Ninjette salvage titled. Got the brake and light done yesterday after riding it to a shop a block up the street :siren:~*illegally*~:siren: (expired reg), then today went to the DMV. I forgot the title for trip #1 (took the car), so I got a temp tag and brought the title back with the bike for the VIN verification. The guy couldn't find an emissions sticker and was giving me a hard time even while I pointed to the loving charcoal canister and three nipples on the back of the tank trying to explain that it was a CA model and had always been registered here.

I hate the DMV. No wonder I put that off for so long. Feels great to ride again though.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 29, 2012