Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
After a little driving I really like the metzeler tourance tires. They're not so lean happy as the pirelli scorpion trails but better than the anakee 3s was. I'm not missing any grip on sealed surfaces while they're more grippy on gravel. I've yet to try them in really damp conditions though. In hindsight, the front pirelli must have been really uneven in weight because I used 40 grams less in weights.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Managed to be a retard and not strap down a bag properly for a short 10km trip. That caused my right rear indicator to melt as the bag pushed it onto the exhaust.

So saturday was a trip to the local Biltema for some aftermarket generic led indicators. Kinda wanted to keep the old one of the left, start a new lopsided style trend.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

did oil/oilfilter and sparkplugs at 109000 km for my transalp. Leaving on a long trip so wanted fresh oil for it. Oil looked good, no contamination or metal residue, plugs had even soot.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Stripped a Phillips screw head on the front brake reservoir that I don't have a spare of.

I'm really liking my preventive maintenance schedule, sure I was going to replace my front brake pads, but I don't really need to yet, I can still ride this weekend without stressing out to get the right one to be able to hit the road after work tomorrow.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, gonna dremel a slot in it and use an impact driver with a slot head bit. Just need some spare 2x12 machine screw with flat head to replace it with.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed the front brake pads after drilling out the stuck screw on the brake fluid reservoir. Also bled and changed brake fluid front and back.

I had a brake fluid tester so I used that for fun before changing them anyway. front was okay with 1% moisture, Back was peaking above the scale of 4%.. The fluid was changed at the same time last time.
Only difference is that I don't use the back brake as often as front, and the reservoir is plastic not metal as the front is.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Checked the valves and synced the carbs. Only one intake valve on the rear cylinder that needed adjustment.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ordered a cheapo aftermarket slipon and a sw-motech metal bash plate for my transalp. The stock exhaust is rusting to bits(and is known to do that) and I can't be arsed to spend more time on it. A new stainless steel lighter aftermarket is only 20 US$ more expensive then the cheapest used stock can I could find too.. Some polish brand called DOMINATOR.

Some PO had rested the bike on its side while warm.. so the plastic bashplate was melted on one side, and since I actually use it on gravel the old brittle plastic is getting torn up by rocks

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Time to bounce some gravel of it. Seemed like a nice and solid construction, though was a little more fiddly to get on and off than the old ratty stock plastic bottom plate.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got the new exhaust on. Lessons learned: never buy a ultra generic exhaust, because they might not fit properly without modifications of side panels/move rear brake fluid reservoir, luggage rack. Buy a proper aftermarket model specific one. 20 year old never removed bolts on stock exhaust will break. Stock exhaust will not be dismantled with out hammer/chisel/cutting tools. You will need new/longer bolts.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ziplocked it for the winter

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It's a vcl bag.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Swapped led headlight to a more road legal cyclops version, changed tail bulb to led. installed new screw thread in one of the 4 contact point of the front cowling, as i had spotted that one of the expanding screw plugs was missing when I winter stored it. Tightened the oil plug as it had dripped about 0,5 dl in the 2 months it had sat. I only had an adjustable wrench that didn't fit flush when I changed oil before storing it, used a proper socked now.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Bought a new tire change stand. Foot actuated helper arm for 3 pressure points without a helper, much better design than the cheapo one I've used up to now.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I ordered it from Xlmoto.no Old was the cheapo biltema one, this one:

It's okay for getting tires on, but a nightmare to get off tires gracefully, like if you derped and got distracted while putting it on mounting it backwards...

I usually ended up cutting one tire side wall wire on the old tires as you cant use the arm to push tires down off it, as the rim/tire already rests on the frame of the machine.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Took it out of the storage garage and drove it back home. It was a typical first trip of the season, ie stressed out. I forgot my entance card to the garage, forgot to put on my gps logger and forgot my helmet strap..

Also had a "wtf, is there something wrong with my back wheel? oh, ah, it's just crap road surface here."

And added + adjusted the length of of the straps on my new reindeer fur seat mat. Naturally water repellant, hide part is impregnated, and warm.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

140 km in +4 - +7 C weather, the seat pad was awesome, nice and warm. Had to walk the bike under power the last 200m gravel road up to where I park at the cabin, was 10cm snow with some ice /slush. Not sure if I'll bother to replace the green straps with black ones, it will never look good anyway

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

adjusted the air/fuel mix. still got some popping on deaccel, but less on idle, and smoother idle in general.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Rode 60km with loose grip on the throttle tube, was in an area with no late night stores and the gas stations apparently does not stock glue of any kind. I've had instant glue in my tool kit before, but I forgot to put more in it after the last tube ran out... Not forgetting that again.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Uugh, fuuck. I actually had some cable ties in my kit as I remember it. I guess I was too tired and got single tracked on "glue".

Hmm, the gas stations would actually have had both hairspray and cola. I'll remember that to the next time.

Yeah. my bigger tool kit for longer trips has safety wire and super glue, my small kit should have had superglue, I was just an idiot who didn't restock it.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 22, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed both tires and sprockets + chain. Suddenly I have a new bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

What I didn't do with my ride today, change rear brake pads. Apparently rear brake pads sometimes take the form of youth sized offroad pants according to Xlmoto.no. With thursday being a holiday and having taken time of on friday for a 4 day weekend of riding the new pads have no chance in reaching me until after the weekend.

4 full days of riding is up to 1000km/600 miles for me usually and one of the rear pads was like 1-2mm thick only. So I'll stop by the local "we got everything under the sun but only in no-name/ own brand quality" store, biltema, and get me some cheapo pads to cure my mechanical angst of wrecking my rear brake disc.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed rear brake pads as they finally arrived from the webshop that cant tell the difference between youth offroad pants and brake pads. Never shopping from them again if I can't avoid it.

It was about time..

Very uneven wear. Either the sliding pin has been abit more grimy than usual, most likely because I ride more gravel now. or the brake has been sticking a little. It's also a crap old nissin single pot brake.

From what I can find from my maintainance notes I got about 35k km /21k miles out of them.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAJUZRjGLo
(you need sound to hear the clicking)

edit:
Turns out someone was cheapo last ball bearing change and used ones with only dirt shield on the outside, so inside the hub they where only protected by grease. The failed side had big rust discolouration both on the bearing and also over on the internal spacer/sleeve. The good side also had some rust spots and some droplets of oily water with rust colour. These are rims I bought as spares as the old ones got the aluminium rust (too much zinc in the alu blend is the theory on transalp forums). The bearings looked fine, and they lasted 15k miles for me, but I don't know how old they where.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 14, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My cluch cable broke last weekend, so I had to use a clutch cable repair kit with a screw on end bolt. Luckily the cable has frayed at the lever so it was repairable with the kit.
To get to the cable I had to remove the left hand guard. I had been thinking about changing the half ratty hand guards because they where an integrated part of the lever holders, ie you can't change the angle of the protector without also changing the angle of the lever. They also looked kinda crappy with scratched sun bleached white plastic.

So I changed to some Acerbis hand guards with integrated extra lights, because why not :)

Old:

New:

Spotters:

Full disco:

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 26, 2016

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

This is the kit i got, spare wire in clutch/brake dimensjon and 1 for throttle cable, and a range of end anchors.

8 usd.

I bought 2 so I have a complete spare to keep in my travel tool kit from now on.

I ordered a new cable on monday but the store didn't have it in stock locally.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Deeters posted:

There's also a few companies that make neoprene covers with velcro. I like the look of the rubber ones, especially on an older bike like Ola's.

Yeah, I use Dirtskins. They got velcro and I've got no problems with em. They have lasted about 30k km so far.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

huh. what bike is that? Looks so similar to my transalp 600, just a little different hardware around the water pump and shifter.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Became my own previous owner

To be fair, it is still dismantlable.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

And my jbwelded exhaust didn't cope with the twisting motion of the crap mounting of the crap aftermarket can. Oh well, now I gave a good join to reinforce.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

New tires front and back, Heidenau k60 silica. Most offroady tires I've run on my transalp. You notice that they're abit more rumbly but it's not annoying vibrations. Will be interesting to try them out on more looser stuff/gravel this weekend.
Also changed one ball bearing on the front as it had a slight loose feel with some play in it, looks like bad manufacturing quality, only had them 10k km.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I just use a Google spreadsheet with dates, milage and what was done. Easy to look up from wherever, no book to loose or get soaked by oil/grime.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Prepped the new-old exhaust with removing loose paint and rust, painted rust converter on the few spots that was bad. I'll hit it with high temp paint tomorrow. Ordered new brake line, disc, pads and caliper rebuild kit for the front. Put new type sintered pads in last time and that hosed the old disc straight up, especially with the caliper plungers being abit sticky from the rock hard old rubber. measured it to 3.3mm in the worst part (service limit is 4mm).

It's gonna be the first time I refresh rubber in a caliper, looking forward to getting that back in top working order.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Please get some proper pants though, kneecaps and skin on your legs are nice to have. If you prefer Jeans there actually are reinforced denim pants that does not look like rear end available, many with quick removable knee pads.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Rebuilt the front brake caliper. One of the pistons was seized pretty bad so I had to use the grease gun trick. worked nicely and wasn't that bad to clean out with it being a 2 piston single sided nissin caliper. You really want air available to help move the grease out afterwards though.

First time I've rebuilt a caliper, took a while, but learned a lot. like that mid 90s honda banjo bolts are m10 (or was it m12?) but has finer threads than normal bolts. Had to plug a banjo with solder to use the grease gun.

Take your time with the caliper in place on the bike and verify that all pistons move. 8 bar on the air hose was only enough to move one of the pistons. Pistons was okay, there was just a bit of dirt that had gotten past the real old dust seals which was disintegrating.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Completed the rebuild of the front brakes today. Hit a little snag when changing to the new brake disc as one of the bolts was missing it's head. Cut a slot for a screwdriver and got it loose. I seem to remember that the torc spec on the bolts felt abit high according to the Haynes manual when I swapped rims some years ago. I'll order me some new bolts and replace the lot later. For now the disc is on with 5 out of 6 bolts so I could mount, fill the system and bleed it properly.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Reinstalled a new refurbished stock exhaust system on my transalp. My old can was full of extra holes and rusted as hell. But the Dominator brand can i got didn't properly fit under the side panels or fitted properly with normal side luggage racks, it lacked proper mount points vs my bike so it was wiggly and broke the flange to collector pipe. I learned my lesson, no name/unknown generic slip-ons are crap, i'll never buy that ever again. If you ever need to replace exhaust stuff on older bikes, go refurb stock or akra et al high end stuff.

I also changed the fork oil, but had less oil than I needed.. Sealed it up and I'll top it up before I use the bike.

Edit: had a picture

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Refreshed the seals in the rear brake caliper, and wired up switched power source from the rear light to a USB contact and the gps cradle. I also finally wired up the brake light feature of my rear led indicators.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Did a valve check, set the air / fuel mix back to default since I have the stock exhaust again and synchronized the carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Manhandled it out the too narrow door and got it outside.

https://goo.gl/photos/e1QhWEv6YWbVppes7

Also changed the footrests from stock to sw-motech.
A little bit over twice the surface area + not installing the rubber for better grip.

https://goo.gl/photos/CFe7KsR1WfZMuXpX8