Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Fired up the gt550 and rode it back home from where it was stored for the winter. It was stored cold, but fired up pretty easy. Just needed to prime the carbs and run a battery booster so it could crank for a while.

It was dryish roads and some degrees above freezing, now its sub zero again.
I'll swap it for the fz6n which is stored at another location in the easter if the weather finally gets closer to spring.
I need to go over it to clean it up for pretty sales pictures, and remove reusable bits that does not increase the sales value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I gave my 2004 fz6n a decent wash and removed reusable stuff that does not increase the value, like barkbusters, doubletake mirrors, gps mount for my ancient tomtom gps and cyclops led h4 bulb. I found and installed the stock bar ends after the images.

114500km - 71000 miles.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My new vfr 2016 has a throttle lock thing. similar to this.

I've only played with it a little, but I'm not a fan. Don't feel safe to lock my throttle input without any sensors to disable it. I also don't super slab.

I've been using a throttle assist on all my bikes since my first bike so i'll most likely just add one of those.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Getting the vrf ready for the long weekend. Added some better soft luggage stand offs.
Old Givi passenger grab handles, the givi top box kit comes with them since the mount for the top box removes the oems.

Generic cruiser side bag standoffs. Bendy in the corners, but not from the mount points.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got around to start my tenere after the winter, gravel season approaches as the winter is finally nearing an end in the moutains.
It fired right up and I tackled the charging issue now that I both got a new regulator and stator on hand. (as the error checking with multimeter last fall pointed towards the stator)
Luckily it was the regulator, up from 13.4 on high rpm to 14.0+ on all rpms, no need to mess with the stator for now.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Swapped bikes around and actually used the tenere. 12.75 on the battery after a good 45min ride. This was with misc use of power to heated grips from near flat. I'll used it into work tomorrow to get a practical test.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Honda in their wisdom does not sell replacement grips for their heated grip set for my 2016 vfr, only the whole kit. so it's a cool 500 usd when the rubber wears out.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I did a thing. PO had it on order when he sold the bike. so he sold it on for cheap when it finally arrived. A couple of kilograms lighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2RIlw60zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-HUjbObM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUfAEb7Wlvo

Rode without db killer home. I think i'll keep it like that. A bit less noisy than my old fz6 anyway.

Also took off the bagster tank cover for now. summer temps are finally arriving.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I replaced the stock levers with some cheapo aftermarket fully adjustable ones. Quality seems ok, but nothing more. Still better range of adjustability than the stocks.

Also installed a no name clear center tank protector. it looked like crap so that will be replaced with a black one.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

its dead dead? ie takes no charge from a battery charger also?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

(From the picture derived value) 6.3 ah is tiny as hell in old batteri tech. This might actually be one of the few unicorn cases where a li-something battery has an actual use case.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Gradual degradation is a nasty thing. My mandatory item to replace on new to me bikes is always the fork oil. It's simply not a thing people do unless the seals leak, and it make so much difference.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I wanted some more solid side pannier holders on my 2016 vfr. I looked for the oem hard side panniers and they are sadly unobtainium. I generally use enduristan soft panniers that fit all my bikes and the generic cruiser pannier stand offs didn't really work, no good tie off points and not really suitable for the weights I usually pack.
I also had to use the passenger handles on the givi rack to mount them, leaving me with no good grip point for getting the bike on the main stand.

I bought a Hepco & becker kit, it utilises part of the oem pannier hang points + is removable if not needed.

This was the setup I had. The angle of the pannier stand offs are just friction fit from the screws, ie not actually 100% solid.

No passenger/ main stand lift grips

This is the removable part of the pannier holders. 4 90 degree twist locks that is manipulated with a 8mm unbrako hold them in place. They also have lockable twist locks so people cant just walk off with them(and your luggage).

Note the hooks that use the oem side luggage hang points

This is how the bike looks with the pannier holders off.

And with the pannier holders and passenger grips on.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

yeah, I gotta check for that. The bags are the over seat saddle bag style so I can adjust the height. They're not gonna sit straight on the squares.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 13, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I changed the drive pack as the chain had gotten some really annoying stiff links. JT sprockets and DID chains.

This is the first time I've done this on a single sided swingarm bike and it was mad easy, just plop it on the main stand, remove a plastic cover on the rear with 2 bolts, the front sprocket cover with 5 and away we go.

I found it a little strange that there where no lock functions on the front sprocket bolt at all, ie, no bendy shim or similar, just a straight bolt with no locktite or anything. I verified that with the workshop manual.

I also found a "gift" from the po. Jammed behind the front sprocket was a piece of plastic strip fastener.. why? The only thing I can guess is that he tried to remove some of the oil dirt and jammed it stuck so it broke. And then didn't have the balls to remove the from sprocket bolt.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ah, good to know :)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter on my vfr today.

Dirty

When removing the lower fairings to do the oil change I found out that the vfr has a instant beach feature.. It grabs all the road sand it seems. Which also fouls up the fairing clip-pin mechanisms.

The sand collector area, a nice tray with no drain holes or low air holes.

I got it cleaned up in the end.

The oil change itself vent fine, expect for the loving PO had removed the crush washer, I checked the engine case also, it was not stuck there. I supplied my own.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I have no clue how long in km that fairing bit has not been removed though. The PO claimed he changed the oil last year, but he has claimed a lot that has been untrue.
Last dealer signed service was at 36k km in the warranty book, and that only has the note "Yearly service", not what items was done. And I got no actual receipt. The odometer is at 47250 now(doing the 48k km service bits.

While I've owned it I've had like one real wet session with 250km of it just pissing down rain. + 3-4 2km trips on some wet gravel roads to get to a cabin.

Unless you do something silly like suck up the oil from the filler neck, you have to remove that fairing bit to get to the oil drain plug.

I'll just check that area a bit often. Removing the fairing to get to it is real simple after you've read up on it and done it once. I think I can clear it out with some compressed air/ water hose also now that I know about it.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 31, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Today I did the rear tire on the vfr for the first and last time. The tarp setup worked fine, the dampness below is from some earlier rain.

Too much a pain in the rear end to do as the rim width is too big for the off-road bike oriented tire tool we have.

Had to work with all the tricks in the book to get it on, plus reseat it thrice because some loving how a tire lever got inside it??¡¿ then on the next reseat one of the rim protectors jumped inside on the last heavy part.
There was much cursing.
I also can’t balance it on my balance stand because of Honda single sided swingarm rim middle design. I hosed around with using some sockets as spacers, and it seemed to be working, indicating no weights really needed, as I’ve seen before on Pirelli tires. I went from road 6 to angel gt 2.

Took it up to 130-140 kmh later, no wobble or notable vibrations.

Next time a shop will handle it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It boggles my mind. We got a set of 5, the silver grey bacho brand ones you can see in the picture.. With using the bead breaker stand the rim is on the stand on the floor. I only work tires up or down to get em on or off. My guess is I managed to drop it into the tire when I easily popped on the first edge. Since we have 5 I didn’t miss it, + I seat the tire where I want it in regards to weight balance marks from the first rim so I didn’t rotate it. I only added the zip ties when I could not manhandle the last 1/4 edge of the second edge easily.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I started investing why my vfr has poor cooling performance. The overheat warning triggered when stuck in traffic (it triggers at 122c) last weekend.

The fan on the lower radiator kicks in as it should at 105c, but it can't keep the temp down. The reserve tank was a minimum, and I suspect it has been low for a while. I topped that up.

Looking in the work manual actually getting to the radiator cap to bleed it or do a fluid change requires to remove all the front fairing pieces below the head light, So I doubt it has ever been done at all. It's fairly complicated so I assume any PO has shied away from it, and the fairing seems otherwise unmolested, ie no missing screws or studs as I've noted.

Further complicating it is that also not mirrored in design left and right, ie there is a different number of snap studs and bolts on the left and right cowl/ fairing of the same type.

Things to remove to get to the radiator cap
* Rear seat with key, front seat, 2 screws.
* Side covers, left + right. 2 screws each
* Under cowl left and right, 3-4 plastic fasteners, 2-3 screws.
* Radiator grille. 2 screws, 4 plastic fasteners,
* Inner lower panel left and right , 3-4 plastic fasteners, 2-3 screws
* Middle cowl left and right

I assume the radiator is packed with sand. Its right behind the front wheel where I found that instant beach feature. I can get to it from the air holes in the under cowl(same place i could see if the fan was spinning). so ill hit it from the rear with water and air.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'm super happy with my Shad 58x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZiGZY6Lvs

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I got the Grip Puppies in the mail today so I installed them.

Here you see the main reason, the left grip is really worn. (Yes, I washed the bike afterwards)

The throttle grip is not that bad, but you can see where the cramp buster has slid a bit.

I had to trim off a little before mounting them with some water and soap.

I could also use the bigger cramp buster/throttle helper, it has a bigger surface vs the hand and is more comfortable than the tighter diameter one on the left.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Finally had an opportunity to have access to compressed air+ water, so I removed some fairing bits to get proper access to check the radiator(there was only one broken fairing fastener, first on the bike)

uh, yeah, I found why the cooling was pretty crap even with the fan triggering on correct temp

That's caked and hardened oil sand clogging it completely. Hitting it with some water and air did nothing. Soaked it maaany rounds with degreaser -> hosed it down -> blow with air -> repeat. Also used a toothbrush a bit.
I didn't get good pictures of the result in the dark, but water and air passed fine and checked with flashlight

This is the bike I bought in april this year. I really haven't done that much gravel riding with it.. I guess this hasn't been cleaned in years.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 13, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I changed brake pads for the front brakes on the vfr. they where right at the wear indicator for all.

I didn't do a full proper bleed as it was pissing down rain.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 21, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I rigged up a dual usb long connector to power my harkila heated middle layer from the battery on my vfr. Some PO had installed a standard 12v socket under the lockable passenger seat, so I just made a dual usb extension that that I put in a wire sleeve.

Tested it today, worked fine. I fed the wires into my right thigh pocket on my pants, so the plugs is in there. That won't work if it rains, but then I'll snake it up in to a inner side pocket on my jacket.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

And on my vfr one of the rails of my rear rack is cracked.. See at the rear bolt on the grab handle. Its completely separated. Not sure when it happened. I don't have any detail photos of that area for some months.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I removed the broken luggage rack, removed the quick disconnect side racks, installed the solo seat and gave it the last wash before the winter. Removed the tank bra and bar muffs for washing and glamour shots.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Supradog posted:

And on my vfr one of the rails of my rear rack is cracked.. See at the rear bolt on the grab handle. Its completely separated. Not sure when it happened. I don't have any detail photos of that area for some months.

I got a new set of givi rack arms in the mail today after a failed delivery of the oem rack. It was only the oem top plate, not the arms so totally useless.

Even with the more ugly design of the givi arms over the oem, it was actually available. So I ordered a givi set with winter rebate prices.

Can you spot the difference? can you say error in design leading to a v2?
New reinforced vs old slim

Proper reinforcement.

I see the other givi v1 arm also had a developing crack.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Since I do a little back packing also, I heard about a trick for drying wet boots in a tent when you don't have a full on fire, or access to anything else to dry with.
Set one of these up in the heel of the boot. its called a tea candle in Norwegian. and use that to heat up and dry the boot.

Mind you, I've never tried it, and for me it sound more like a recipe to experience the smell of burning foot odor, get burned insoles and be stuck in another country with a boot that has been partially on fire.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ordered a lithium battery for the tenere. The Biltema brand battery that I had and same type that came with the bike is a little higher that stock.

High enough for the posts to touch the seat plastic apparently, and me being a fat-rear end or the plastic being a little old and bendy snapped the + battery post...

Electricians tape and strips to get the last 60 km home.. and it worked.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

There were talks of getting bi yearly inspections for motorcycles in Norway, but they actually looked at the statistics. None of the road deaths involving motorcycles was caused by the technical state of the motorcycle.
So the initiative was scrapped. We have so few road deaths that all are investigated properly.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Old Sadness

New hotness

Ordered a shido lithium battery to replace the broken too high agm battery ny my 88 tenere. I used the foam spacers to get it to a serviceable height. I also added relay for switched power via the rear light that uses power directly from the battery.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It broke last year so it's already replaced.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Doing the 90000km service and some other bits on my honda nx 250.
Oil, filter, and spark plug. New cush drive rubbers. New chain and both sprockets.

Sprockets was very worn.

And thanks to PO fuckery the front sprocket still gets booger welded

I'll change coolant and fork oil tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

For scientific purposes and sorry for your loss, but? What % did it drop In value? You bought it new and its how many years old?