Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
520 conversion and +1/+5 sprockets for slightly more torque and less chain wear on my bike Friday/Saturday. Helped removed engine from 1972 Olds Cutlass Saturday as well. 520 swap and -1/+2 sprockets for my friend's F4 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

I made a tail tidy for my bike. Just need to get a little led light for license plate so it passes inspection. It's nice saving money by doing it yourself.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

Is that the new Ninja 250? My friend's dad has one and my god that rear fender is horrendous.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

slowspeedracer posted:

going to make my own riveter out of a c-clamp and a pipe flare tool to put the new one on.

Good luck with that. I broke down and bought a chain tool.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Emptied the old coolant, filled it with Engine Ice, Water Wetter and a little distilled water. The old coolant was blue, possibly Engine Ice as well? Just figured I ought to do it since the maintenance schedule calls for every other year and I've had the bike for a year and I don't know if/when the PO has done it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

laymil posted:

So here's the question - should I put the rear fairings back on or leave it as is? Also, $1 prize to the first person able to guess what I used for the brackets to mount the gauge.

I'd put them back on... they do protect some important stuff. Did you have your seat redone?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Cleaned and lubed my chain. Goddamn rain. Rode back from Laconia last Thursday in the rain so it really needed it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Changed the oil and filter on the VFR today. I wondered how a bike could have an 8k mile oil change interval until it took almost 4 quarts of oil with the filter.

Then I took it out and almost lost it completely on a backroad. Basically I was coming around a turn and there was some sand in the road. Hit it dead on as I was already going a bit fast and leaned over, tire steps out, squiggles all over the place, then regains traction and I'm on my way. I just kept my feet on the pegs and the throttle constant.

This is the fourth time this has happened in less than a year, wtf? I come away each time feeling cool/skilled/whatever but logic tells me my days are numbered. Dammit.

I don't think that 4 quarts of oil is all that much for a bike. Both my TT600 and my brother's Katana use just about that much.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I made some helmet hooks. They're a bit of a pain since they're connected to the bottom of the seat which is what you remove. Better than nothing though.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

sectoidman posted:

supposed paint-stripping powers of brake fluid

It definitely does indeed strip paint. Ask me how I know. :(

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

sectoidman posted:

So uh, how do you know? :v:

Spilled some from both resevoirs. My triple tree plate lost some paint and so did my rear hugger. Fortunately it didn't strip paint from the frame.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode around a bit and my odo ticked over 20k. Also the check engine light came on. The codes were for ignition problems or misfires but the bike was running fine all the way up to red line so I went ahead and reset them. Hopefully they won't come back, maybe I'll do some night riding to check.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I finally gave in and put the hard bags on the VFR.

Obviously it isn't as good looking as without, but drat if it doesn't make it more useful. Nothing beats going somewhere and throwing my helmet/gloves in one and my jacket in the other and walking around like a normal person! I think I can pull off minor food shopping too.

I'm surprised you still use the tank bag when you have those.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

The tank bag is good for bringing stuff with me, since it's also a backpack. I leave bike stuff in the hard bags and bring work stuff with me in the tank bag. Say what you will about Icon gear, their bags (and Ti-max gloves) are pretty cool.

I have the same bag and it's proven to be very useful. I do, however, wish it was waterproof.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

You don't think I could get it off with a half-inch drive socket wrench?

I've done two bikes with my 18" breaker bar. Just make sure you hold the rear brake and don't cut the chain (yet).

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
loving rode it. No license for 2 months sucked. Also the -1 front sprocket is like whoa.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Raven457 posted:

I did this -
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=135697

and I now have almost 2 ft of extra pipe sitting on my workbench since that was the smallest loose size they'd let me buy.

It took me longer to cut the damned 10mm section of pipe than it took to do the entire installation. After a slight cable adjustment and a quick run around the block, I like it - it's a heck of a lot easier on the wrist to accelerate hard, that's for sure. The return spring does pull a lot harder, but I expected that. Time will tell if it's pulling hard enough to be a nuisance, but I don't think it will.

Could you post the pic they have attached? Don't feel like registering.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
It's my understanding that they only draw more current when they just turn on. Afterward it's much less.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Drove the bike into my basement today :smith:

What is that rear cage thing?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Fant has an Speed Triple. I got my parts from that site, they're nice and cheap and you get Vortex sprockets with an RK chain.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 12, 2010

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a ring sometime in the not too distant future. Time isn't really an issue, as the bike is in storage until April.

It looks like Vortex makes a rear sprocket, are RK's the ones to go with for chains?

If you're replacing the rear sprocket I'd replace the front one as well. This also gives you an opportunity to switch to a different width chain/sprocket set up. I went with 520 but then again my bike is only 600 CC. You could go with a 525 if you wanted.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Handed off my gauge pod circuit board to have the three switches re-soldered by an EE friend-of-a-friend. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Why?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode it to class. Should replace one of my spark plug coils and clean my air filter sometime soon. A valve check should be in check but can't gather the motivation for that.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

AncientTV posted:

Today I stared at my front brake in contempt. Bikebandit is shipping my pads uncharacteristically slow; it's been 3 days and they havent even gone out yet :smith:

That's about right for them. They don't even carry any oil filters for my bike except for $15 K&N ones anymore :(

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I won parts for my bike on ebay last night just after midnight and now the seller is trying to cancel the transactions because he forgot to put a reserve in. :(

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

I don't think they can do that, you can probably take the screws to him over it.

Pretty much if he cashes out the PayPal than I won't be able to get my money back. I don't need to deal with someone holding my money or items hostage. I won two other items from him as well so those could also be held hostage which would suck. I don't really need the rear wheel with almost new tire, but I figured at $31+S&H it'd save me some money in the future, nor do I need the gas tank for the same price even though mine has some small dents in it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Bled my brakes again. They still don't grab until I pump the lever a few times. I'm thinking something is up in the master cylinder. :(

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Took my front brake master cylinder apart as much as I could. I can't figure out how to get the plunger out, any ideas? Part #2 needs to come out so I can inspect the seals. I've removed the nipple, banjo bolt, lever and brake switch and still can't get the plunger out.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2010

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Got two sets of cockpit fairings for my bike in finally. Put the color matching one on. Feels great not absolutely hating the way my bike looks, although it's far from perfect.

When I get my front signals I'll remove the front black fade decals. Over the winter I'll get the front fairings patched up and painted black along with the front fender and maybe the front wheel. I may end up putting together another set of front fairings because all I need is a ride side piece.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Pulled the Power Commander off my bike today. Loaded a custom tune from someone who has the same bike and had it dynotuned. Haven't run it yet though.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Put the fairings on after painting them.

Didn't get to wet sand since my street is town up and water is off.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Swapped a rotor because the old one was probably slightly warped and making a clicking sound, swap pads, swap front sprocket to something a little more reasonable so I'm now basically just +2 in the rear instead of +5.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode 300 some miles, forgot my ear plugs, let my helmet drop off my bike, almost binned it and missed out on a big day drinking day. Oh well, worth it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Put a different colored fender on today... Tail is yellow, front fender is yellow, main body is black for now. I have 2 sets of fairings that I'm going to paint whenever I finish repairs on the more damaged set. Swapped my front turn signals to some LED ones with stalks. My "flush" mount ones didn't pass inspection even though they stick out a good inch at least, stupid shop. Also stuck some stupid reflectors on for inspection.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 5, 2011

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Got hit by my friend... I posted this on another forum asking what I should do...

So today my buddy meets me at my place and we're heading towards a gas station in a few towns over to meet up with other friends. Not a mile from my house we go to an intersection, I signal to turn right (I'm pretty sure, he claims he didn't see it), start turning right and he hits me, thinking we're going straight. We both dump our bikes, damage isn't too bad overall. So I'm pretty sure this accident is his legally completely his fault. Cost to fix up my bike which was pretty ugly and beat up as it is won't be more than $500 or so. I need a new right side rear set and brake lever, exhaust, right turn signal and some how the left side of my tank got dented. His bike isn't too bad, 06ish ZX6R, right fairing is scratched, broken right side foot peg, tank scraped, nose fairing near where it connects to the right side fairing is broken.

So options are:
1) Just call it the cost of riding, we both fix our own bikes
2) Get him to pay to fix my bike, don't need it to be pretty and I was going to repaint the fairings again myself anyway, they're painted with plastidip which transparently just rubs off anyway. So again <$500 worth of crap
3) Go through insurance, assuming he is completely at fault. They'd probably total my bike, I could buy it back to be a track bike and get something newer. I also have a bunch of extra parts I could sell off.

I should mention that only carry liability so if it were to be deemed 50/50 I'd get nothing out of this. Anyway, I'd feel bad if I claimed against my friend and his premiums went up a lot but let me know what you think. Pics of damage below, you can see on both sides where paint has rubbed off due my legs touching the fairings, that's not damage. I know the pics aren't great but really the damage isn't that bad and it's hard to see on the plastidip paint.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I finally fit my Chinese Pazzo knockoff clutch lever. The pivot hole was too big so I used part of a pen cap to fill the space. Also the pivot area wasn't wide enough so I used a bunch of washers to make it fit tighter. The brake lever fit just fine. At least I got a 75% refund on these so I'm not too upset. Not like I could've returned them after the brake lever got scraped up after my friend clipped me anyway. NGK Iridium spark plugs should come in today so I'll remove the fairings, clean the oil out of the air box from down and probably swap my other fairings back on so I can attempt to do some repairs to this set. My mom should be picking up a set of free race fairings for me today :)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

VTNewb posted:

Plan with Rev when VT mountain death ride is, I can just deal with it. As long as it isn't sunday.

Fixing my bike up right now so prob not for another few weeks but we'll talk.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rebuilt my exhaust with sheet aluminum and a bunch of rivets since the carbon fiber was crushed. Works well, has a few small leaks, oh well. Still haven't got to the other stuff but I did adjust my clutch cable with the new lever in and tightened the chain since it some how was all messed up after getting clipped by my friend.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Swapped in NGK Iridium plugs... I broke one early this week by over-torquing it. Had to get the threads out by hammering a torx socket into it then unscrewing. Got the tank and airbox back on as well. Have to put the other set of fairings back on still then maybe I can ride Sunday but I'll probably be too busy fixing the AC in the Buick and doing my friend's rear brakes on his Infiniti.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

For bikes those work fine. If your doing cars frequently you owe it to yourself to get a pressurized bleeder (http://brakebleeders.com/brake-bleeder-kits/0100-european-brake-bleeder-kit).

With one of those and speed bleeders I could bleed all four corners of my track car in under 5 minutes, flush the system completely in 10. Only downside is I've never seen them in-store, always have bought them online.

I think cars with ABS don't work well with the vacuum pumps. I had to pump the brakes on mine manually for it to really do anything. Not sure on the pressurized ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Really who makes a decision to put the ecu right on top of the exhaust anyway? Undertail exhausts seem really dumb all together; excess heat cooks the tail and the riders and adds extra weight too.

Guess no one thought of that when they redesigned the exhausts. My bike has the ECU in the same place but it's a side exhaust. I like the new tiny side exhausts they're doing on newer bikes now, although they all seem to have cats they hide behind the fairings.