Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat- that's awesome! I've been looking to add something reflective to my black helmet. Thinking Wile E. Coyote is in order. :D

i wonder if i can get something like this with the text "bitches ain't poo poo" below it

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Took it to a mechanic. I don't have room to work on it at my house. :(

Getting carbs cleaned and rejetted, new air filter, fairing mount fabricated, GSXR forks set at the proper height, and other various odds and ends.

Peg risers are coming in next week then it's off to Highway 9 again. :madmax:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I lubed my throttle cables. After I got the bike back from the mechanic (carb clean/inspect/rejet) I noticed the throttle wasn't snapping shut... or much of anything relating to such a motion, really. I took off the assembly, used my shiny new cable lubing device, hit all the springs with some proper lubricant, and properly adjusted the length of the slack. Now the bike's throttle responds like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

This bike's coming along. :)

Now I just need the lock set and chain guard from Z3n then I'm gonna install my rearset risers and the bike is pretty much 99% mechanically sound. :D

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Sometimes you have to get creative when all you have is a two-arm steering wheel puller.

This is what Futurists envisioned all buildings would look like-- one hundred years ago.

It is both aesthetically and functionally beautiful.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I use duct tape for everything. But only because fiberglass patch kits scare me, despite doing an incredibly awesomely good job.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's what led me to not have any keys attached to my motorcycle's key ring. :downs:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was an idiot and pressed the brake while changing my pads and a piston popped out so I had the bleed the entire line. This was, of course, before leaving for a midterm. :doh: Thanks Z3n for the quick assistance though! Fluid looked pretty gross so it was a safe idea to do it anyway. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

In the future, just say you're in a car and when the tow truck gets there just slip him $20 and he'll usually do it. That sucks though, dude. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just rode home from a camping trip where I slept outdoors, it was...

...in tents

:haw:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I taught whereisnovember how to wash a motorcycle!

"spray it with this windex"

"k"

I also did my first mod to the bike since it had everything I wanted already done to it before I bought it.

(I put a sticker on it)

And here's another shot because why not

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 12, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How much do manual motorcycle tire machines cost? Tire irons are great and all but I'd be willing to spend a premium for the convenience of one.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

drat they've gotten cheaper since I last checked. Progress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlFE_JHCqQ

Something like this seems super legit too! Not bad for ~$500 shipped

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah it's pretty expensive now. When I move down south again, I'm gonna have two other people in my house with motorcycles that will need tire changes, so it makes sense for me to get a machine. I've done the manual way several times now and it's a pain in the rear end. Having even a $50 harbor freight kit would save me tons of trouble.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Cursed? I could have sworn its name was Lucas.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I kinda wish that was one of those 3D pictures

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Replaced clutch fluid and oil that both looked like stoners' lungs. Thanks Z3n and MotoMind for the help. :) Bike runs far better than before; the clutch action and acceleration are both loving smooth.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I did a thing!

Gonna take them for a test ride later today and see how well they dampen vibrations!

But I'm gonna be honest: the only reason I bought them was because I thought the name Classic Black City Pounder was hilarious since I am a child

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Ordered a new key.

Stock USA key on the left, ordered European key on the right.

It's me. I'm the squid :eng99:

There is nothing wrong with key bling. In fact, it is the best bling.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Working on it. Seriously.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3783297523.html

Do it

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Leave it like that.

It's some sort of C1-4prilia Tuono and it owns

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Until you find a girl that is into motorcycles, It's Just Not Worth It. :sax:

I'd be single if it weren't for Whereisnovember, mainly because I realized a long time ago that I need somebody that shares all my stupid nerdy aspie hobbies with me or I feel like I'm just a babysitter for ennui.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend taught me how to properly flush, fill and service forks today. :neckbeard:

It's like some kind of fat floating bug.

A fork! And overpriced oil. To the left: 9.9 RX7 with LS1. To the right: Mazdaspeed MX5 tracked out with hilarious turbo.

And this is ASCII. (Askee) :3:

Next up: upgrading garbo 6-pot calibers to more reliable 4-pot calipers. :D

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Wait six weeks, and when it starts to fade, or boot rub leaves you with a gelatenous mess..

IIRC, lemon pledge restores black surfaces, without the pain of removing the stickers later.

A heat gun does the same thing if it isn't coated. Also: http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...=I1DCNB7G1ZANKD

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend's SV hadn't had an oil change in at least 6,000 miles and the radiator fluid was a nice shade of chunky brown. His chain also hadn't been cleaned in a thousand miles and the wires are falling out of his "race bike with lights slapped on for quick sale" HID kit. Also, his throttle tube cluster was -----------> way over [here] for some reason so he had to extend his arm an extra 6" to reach that specific handlebar and his clutch cable is a non-S version and it's on its last legs.

Got the oil and radiator fluid changed, Z3n's mirrors installed (he's eternally grateful!), the loving awkward handlebar fixed, and am gonna rewire his HID with a relay and get his new clutch cable installed. Dude's gotta have a running bike!

He said it already handles/revs way better now. :shobon: I can't even imagine what it was like beforehand though...

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Replaced my Tokico 6 pot calipers with a seized piston with Nissin 4-pots from a first gen Bandit 1200!

Same piston surface area and stopping power as the Tokicos but a lot better lever feel. The hydraulic ratio is the same but I can pretty much do stoppies with one finger now, instead of having to bring the brake lever all the way to the bar to push the extra stupid amount of brake fluid through the system of the Tokicos. Considering it would have cost as much to fix the Tokicos as it was to get the 4-pots and Galfer HH pads and fluid, it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the more reliable Nissins. 2000+ Bandit 1200 owners, I highly recommend this mod!

Also, I put Tuono mirrors on my Bandit. It's amazing how well they work-- way better than even my car's mirrors. :sun:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Those are aftermarket braided lines, but yeah, they fit with a minute amount of finagling-- the banjos are at a different angle between the Tokicos and the Nissins but not by much. The bolt thread pattern on the Nissins are different (1.0 compared to 1.25) but if you are buying calipers online, they should be coming with the banjo bolts anyway. Other than that, no issues from what I've seen!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:toot:

1. Clean and re-oil air filter
2. Lube choke cable, add lithium grease to lever
3. Lube throttle cables
4. Spark Plugs
5. Tap breather bolt
6. New valve cover gasket
7. Alternator damper bushings are all toast, which was the cause of my awful alternator noise
8. Put weather stripping on every panel and hinge to prevent fairing vibrations when reassembled
9. New taillight bulbs
10. Fabricate bracket for rear Pyramid tire cowl
11. Source working front turn signals
12. Whatever else I see needing replacement is getting done

At this point it's just waiting for the goddamned parts to arrive. :argh:

Still looking for a bike for my girlfriend too. SoCal is literally the most garbage area of California. Looked at an EX500 with "new brakes" so bad I had to four-finger to prevent it rolling down the owner's driveway in neutral. Are people all just loving stupid?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:catbert:

Also I need to helicoil one of my valve cover bolts because Z3N OVER TIGHTENED THEN TO 25FTLBS :argh: damnit Z3n!

new plugs, cleaned and re-oiled air filter, new alternator dampers (rattle from alternator gone! Old dampers were half the size and half-sludge oh my god not good), new valve cover gasket, oiled and adjusted throttle cables, topped off brake fluid, and put foam camper padding everywhere on my bike:

So now the bike sounds like a screaming sewing machine instead of a screaming sewing machine filled with bees and buckshot. Test run gave me a sputter at 7k, which I can likely attribute to either spark plug #3's connector not fully seated or plug #4 not being tightened to the same torque as the other cylinders due to inability to fit a torque wrench in there.

Still need brake and license light bulbs but other than that the thing runs like an entirely new (terrifying) bike. :sun:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Oops. Welp that's what I get for not using a torque wrench.

It's a beast that doesn't wish to be tamed. I think most of the issues are sorted out now though!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bike was like riding diabetes. My air filters were likely only flowing about 66% the necessary air due to the oil leak completely coating the pods in a shell of sticky road grime, and the jet kit that existed in the engine was not happy, not at all. This would also explain my ever-decreasing mileage (from 37 city to 30 :gonk: )

I'm really excited for a shakedown run today but I don't know where to take it in urbania to do so. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha, I suck at vocabulary, to say the least. Although I wouldn't doubt it at the rate this thing eats air and fuel.

Test ride was a success. Unfortunately SoCal is so congested it's drat-near impossible to redline without alerting every cop in a mile radius so I had a helper to increase my frail nerd weight on the bike. Whereisnovember was very happy/startled with me hamfisting from 4k to 10k on our shakedown run. Totally new machine, but gotta tap and helicoil the valve cover bolt to finally 100% stop the valve cover leak. So $40 later and a tool that is only useful for ~m7 bolts that only exist on Suzuki valve covers and nowhere else in nature ever~ and I'll be certain to have fixed everything mechanically awkward on the bike! :downs:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I helicoiled my valve cover finally and now my bike officially (hypothetically) won't leak anymore oil! And after rushing in here to type this, I realized my oil reservoir gasket (where the glass marker resides) was leaking so I tightened the bolts to proper torque spec and now I really officially have no oil leaks. :neckbeard:

About to take my girlfriend out on her first group ride around the neighborhood! Gonna follow her and see how she does. :buddy:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

'02 Bandit 1200. I haven't done anything more than routine maintenance on it since I got it a couple years ago; it's just time for a general tune-up. Looking at plugs today.

Having taken off the carbs a few times for maintenance now, I'd honestly say just soak the entire thing in carb cleaner once all the needles are out then blow compressed air through it to get out all the gunk. How many miles? While you're at it, you might as well inspect and clean the alternator/generator. There are four dampers ($3 each) in the alternator that dry up and crack and cause lots of noise that would be worth looking at, considering how easy they are to access. I also have a torque spec diagram for every bolt on the bike I can send you for all maintenance if you want.

In other news, I discovered today that not only did the person who installed this 1216 kit put on the wrong head gasket, he put it on backwards. Ugh christ. I mean, it runs fine-ish I guess, but if I'm already leaking a quart of oil every 400 miles out of my valve stems, I might as well just drop the whole loving engine and start replacing parts since I have the proper gasket in my garage anyway. Just gotta get the stems and new head bolts then. :sigh:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

As a Suzuki owner I warmed up my bike then went down stairs and played videogames. :smug:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Took my bike to a shop today. :smith: Poway Motorcycles is loving legit though. The service counter guy had a Katana with a GSXR1100 motor with the same bore kit my bike has and the tech races a 400lb fuel injected ZZR1200 pushing 160whp/100tq but ANYWAY

Compression test was perfect along all cylinders so no need for a leakdown. He said the oil burning issue was likely either due to the piston rings potentially being installed upside down or the rich condition dissolving the oil as the oil lubricates the cylinder walls. He put the analysis machine on and revved it and found where the rich spike was happening and immediately said it was a worn jet needle (not to be confused with a needle jet, or vice versa. Or something.) which is apparently completely common on high mileage bikes with a lot of freeway play. Unfortunately they're $28 each and there's four of them, but it's only half the price of a rejet and he says he'll tune it for me while it's there. Petcock was leaking and the guy said he'd sell me his old one for $50 since a new one is $140. :)

He's also gonna convert my bike to Hayabusa coil sticks with his custom wiring harness while he's in the engine area-- all I have to do is pay for the wires and parts. Can't wait to get this poo poo a reliable daily driver again! :black101:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, apparently slides vibrate constantly under use at highway speeds and the needle shown here at #9 rests on the sidewalls of this small little plated fitting in your carb (#14). He said that it's a common problem that often goes misdiagnosed. Most people will assume a rich condition after x thousand miles is due to whatever aftermarket jet kit the previous owner put in it, so they jet back to stock, which has larger diameter needles (#9 again) and this more often than not fixes the problem, but doesn't address the original issue where the top of #14 is worn out. Of course, by fixing this, it affects everything down the line, which requires tweaking again anyway, so :confused:

But anyway, long story short, even a slightly rich condition will cause oil to dissolve in the chamber and burn up. I like this answer better than having to replace stem seals or piston rings so I'll stick with it. v :) v

Funny you bring up California needles, too. Apparently to get certain bikes Cali-friendly, they'll also richen their mixtures to get their cats hotter, which can lead to a multitude of other problems. I think it's time you get a Dale Walker jet kit and some GSXR cams. :getin:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I need to do that to my car actually! Slipping is almost as terrifying as flat spots. :ohdear:

I just bought 3 gallons of 20W50 and an oil filter. Here's to perpetual debt. :smith::hf::smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Why not swap an GSXR1100 motor into the chassis when it explodes? You get a GSXR steel basket clutch, GSXR intake and exhaust cams, and can opt for bore and jet kits and just wheelie forever :sun:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Mapping fuel injection is literally digital autism. That said, properly tuning carbs with custom engine builds is masauchism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Commuting before dawn: Having to chip the ice off your gauges just so you can read them puts hair on your chest holy gently caress never do this I am surprised I am not dead and/or missing digits