Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Slim Pickens posted:

Just leave a bucket of soapy water next to it, and scantily clad girls will come out of nowhere and wash it for you.

Does that only apply to sport bikes? I have a feeling if I did that with my GZ250, I'd get some horrible trolls to wash it instead.

Finally put the bike away for the winter, was going to do it earlier, but the weather has been lovely with either rain, snow, or loving cold the past two weeks. It hit 45 today so it was the best time to fill her up and put some stabil in the tank. Why can't I live somewhere that allows year round riding :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Since I had the day off from work, I decided to do all the maintenance for my bike. All the simple stuff I wasn't worried about, the big task was checking/adjusting my valves. I have the service manual and a nice blog that had step by step instructions up until the adjustment as well as a whole forum dedicated to the bike, so I felt pretty confident in doing it myself.

Maybe it's because it's my first time, maybe I just suck at it, but my god is that the most tedious and painful thing I've done in a long time. Spent 6 hours making sure I didn't gently caress it up. Of course wondering the whole time if I was TDC on the compression or the exhaust stroke because I couldn't really tell. On one TDC it was tougher to turn the crank but there was no pressure on my finger covering the spark plug hole, the other I felt pressure but was pretty easy to turn. I'm still unsure if I did it in the right stroke even after I had my father check for pressure as well, since he works on all his own cars, I hoped he knew more than I did. If I didn't screw it up, I'm glad I did them, both the exhaust were extremely tight and the intakes were off as well. The adjustments were a huge pain because I didn't have the special tool, never making that mistake again.

I put it back together and it ran! It seemed to run better at idle and when I took it out for a spin, it ran pretty good, until it warmed fulled and seemed to make a new sound I noticed. It sounded like a weed whacker from a long distance away in addition to the standard valve noise. I'm still unsure if I did the adjustments right, but I'm assuming if I didn't, the bike would be running like poo poo. Maybe $200 is worth the peace of mind.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

@ BradleyJamers, check compression on both the cold and the warm engine. Valves that are too tight will become worse as the engine warms and they may not close all the way, and valves that are too loose will be noisy cold.

The service manual says to check the valves when the engine is cold, which I did. I was more concerned if I was perhaps on the exhaust stroke compared to the compression stroke. Reading more online I should have checked to see if the rocker arms had some play in them to determine if it was on compression stroke since all 4 valves would be closed and the tappets would have some clearance on them.

When I checked the valves, the exhaust were tighter than even my 0.03mm gauge while the intake's had enough to fit my 0.05 in (spec for them is 0.03 to 0.05) so I'm thinking I could have hosed up since it would be odd that the exhaust would be that tight. But it didn't run different and it sounded a bit quieter, except for the new noise I noticed on my test run after it fully warmed up.

Looks like I'll have to spend a couple more hours Monday doing it again to make sure I did it right. As long as I didn't do serious damage I won't mind spending more time making it right. That and it should go faster this time around

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
I pulled about 1/3 of a quart of oil out of my bike. Since I just got it Friday I don't trust a dealership to do it right. Of course when I went to check the oil, it was about 1/2 and inch above the F mark on the dipstick. It's kinda hard to tell since the oil is fresh and is very clear. It's still about and 1/8th of an inch above the F still, but I'll take some more out later since I'm in no mood to do anything else with the bike.

The reason for this was I dropped it taking it off the center stand. Turn signal pushed in and cracked the fairing. Along a couple scrapes, nothing major, but it still hurts to have done that.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Pulled out more oil from the bike, in total almost a whole quart too much. I know I won't be dealing with that place again if they can screw up putting the right amount of oil in a bike. Now I gotta eliminate the wonderful buzzing windscreen, too bad I snapped one of the plastic screws. Who uses plastic screws, really?

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Yea, it's a wet sump. The GS500 has a dipstick, which is more of a pain than a sight glass, so they were probably being extra lazy.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

makka-setan posted:

I took the FZ6n past the 10000 km mark. 7000 of them took four years and two previous owners, the last 3000 are mine from April and May.

What's it like living on the Sun? 98* C, toasty!

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005

internet inc posted:

Engines get pretty hot.

e: :)

God, I'm a moron :downs:

As punishment, I'm gonna clean my chain tomorrow, it's looking pretty nasty.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Cleaned behind my front sprocket cover. I was having stuff drip from the cover and my kickstand was nice and black from it, so I knew that was quite the buildup behind it. It wasn't has bad as I thought it would be, messy, but not too bad. Then I washed her and lubed the chain.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Since I had the day off, it was time to find out where my oil leak on my GS500 was. I assumed it was the shifter seal, so I took off my sprocket cover and cleaned under it thoroughly, which wasn't perfect, but close enough so I could see if it was indeed leaking from that seal. Took the bike out for a 15 minute ride to warm her up and took off the cover to confirm my suspicion.

Unfortunately this is what I saw. (Cell phone quality pictures ahead)

Hmm, no oil leak, well, lets see where it is leaking then.

Well crap, hopefully this won't be a tough fix, but I can put it off for a little bit since it's a very slow leak.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Had a small oil leak from the left side of the bike, determined it was the generator cover gasket. Since I had the day off, I went about changing that out along with an oil change. Spent 4 hours scraping that old loving gasket off and about an hour doing the rest of the poo poo. Next time I'm getting some gasket remover spray. Still have to put it all back together, fill her up with oil and see how badly I hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Finally got around to checking the valves on my GS500. I had been putting it off and off because when I first tried, it seemed a bit overwhelming. It's 500 miles overdue, and since I had no clue if it was checked by the dealership that I bought it at, I finally got it done. Only took 3 hours and everything was in spec, one valve is getting close and will probably need to be changed next time around. Feels better than paying a shop $200+ to do it.