Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

Went for a three hour long ride with my dad, punctuated with stops at pretty much every car dealership within 50km (he wants to buy a new Fusion :xd: ). Tried his bike out on the way back - for some reason the bar positioning on his R1150GS really hurt the hell out of my shoulders. :confused: It also felt like it had some wierd hesitation while at steady throttle - not sure if that's a looming problem, or just me being unfamiliar with the bike.

Yay for dads that ride! :neckbeard:

What kind of bike do you normally ride? I've been bugging my dad to get a bike for the past few months and he seems somewhat keen on it, but it's not going to happen over night or anything. It would be pretty rad :cool:

Today I washed my bike and scrubbed the crap out of my engine and wheels. Scrubbing most of the grime off of the back wheel took at least an hour. Now my hands hurt. :( But it looks fantastic :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Well it wasn't exactly today, it was the past 3 days, but I painted the back plastic piece, painted random pieces here and there, and put touchup paint on/polished the tank.

(Click for huge)

Before:

After:

Not too bad I think eh?

MrZig fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 3, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

That looks like some crazy lean angle there on the kickstand

Yeah the kickstand is bent. Been meaning to take a torch to it and straighten it out.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took the engine out by myself. Kinda heavy.

It's all sad :(

The offender.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I found out that crankshaft-conrod bearings don't work good when they look like this:

Going to post the rest of the photos in my bike thread.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Fantastipotamus posted:

You don't think I could get it off with a half-inch drive socket wrench?

My front sprocket was hand tight when I changed it..

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Made sure it was still leaking oil like normal. Yup.

Also cleaned and lubed my chain.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
On the GS400..

Fixed the front brake light issue
Fixed the rear left turn signal ground issue
Put on new mirrors
Put in new headlight
Adjusted the carb sync
Adjusted the pilot screws
Hid some wires and cables out of the way with zip ties.

And finally... Revved it a lot! Not too shabby of a day all in all.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went for a 172 KM ride on my GSXR 750. Fan freaking tastic. Thanks everyone who told me to buy it, totally worth it.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went for a short ride, found out my GSXR gets 30 MPG, then got unnerved when holding the clutch in first gear the bike revved up to 10,000 RPM all on it's own. jesus. Then it did it again. I'm gonna email toyota and see if they sourced some parts to Suzuki.... ZING!

No seriously the throttle cable must be binding or there's ghosts in it or something.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Changed the oil! Like Bucephalus, took 4-1/2 liters of oil. This time Rotella synthetic 5w40 ;)

I find it amazing that my 750cc bike is only 1/2 a quart of oil short of matching the amount my dad's 4.3 Chevy pickup takes.

I also blew the air filter out and did a few other things. The bike, she rips!

..and leaks quite a bit. :( Going to have to fix that soon before I lose all of my new oil.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Rode it! No more oil leaks, hurrah! Also ordered new Pilot Road 2's because, well.. Just look at my old ones ;)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took carbs off to have a look see. Found out my needle jets and jet needles are all worn considerably, leading to the sub par fuel mileage.

Replacements will come to just under $200 :( I might compensate by raising the needle clips and changing the float level a bit, seeing if that helps.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

UserNotFound posted:

Apparently 30 minutes isn't long enough. I completely snapped the tip off my Craftsmen that fit well, and then 30 minutes of wd40 later broke a handle on a bit driver...

I don't have anything else that fits well enough not to strip it until I make a trip to the store, so it'll soak all night! 28 years to get stuck, 28 swear words uttered. so far...

Try to find PB Blaster. Works waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than WD40.

Or an impact screwdriver. Those things are excellent.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sold it!

Good bye, GS400. I learned all about motorcycles from you. I hope you treat your new owner with a lot more repsect than me you filthy whore.

But alas it is not without a little sadness and a hole in my heart that I bid you fare well. You may have seized an engine on me for no reason, you may have blown both your light bulbs on me in the pitch black on the way to work, but you always came through in the end. You always wanted to keep going. I hope you do.

Good bye, GS400..

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Crayvex posted:

I've used Z1 a bunch of times. They know their stuff. Tell him what you need and he'll make it happen for cheap.

Just echoing this. Absolutely fantastic service and great prices - can't recomend enough.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Repainted the right mirror after my friend dropped the bike :(
Expoxied on a side cover plug/tab
Painted the seats

Still gotta put new tires on whenever they feel like arriving.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

PadreScout posted:

As is customary (for me anyway) today I finally dropped my Roof.

I had it hanging on my bikes hat-rack while I pulled off me gloves and a gust somehow managed to knock it off (loving round French helmets) so it took a few rock marks in it (and one on the visor) and it has joined the ranks of every other loving helmet I've ever owned of being " pretty good looking with some loving rock chips in it from where I dropped it off my bike."

Sign. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

In Arizona (Cameron, specifically) there were some huge gusts of wind and sand storms ahead. I set my helmet down in front of the gas pump so it would block the wind. It worked great until I went to the bathroom. I came outside the shop to see my buddy walking from the far side of the parking lot with my helmet in his hands. Apparently a big gust of wind had come up, knocked it down, and sent it tumbleweeding a couple hundred yards off and almost getting hit by a truck. :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Today I got a hole in my rear tire on the way to work :(

It was only 5 minutes from home, so at the end of the day I went back, put a tar plug in and rode it back home. Now it sits in the carport waiting a new tire :(

I'd rather buy a new one than do a proper plug, as it's already got 10,000 KM on it anyway. Still, I coulda got some more life out of it and I would rather have it changed when I wanted. You know, when the replacement was HERE. Agh.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Got a new chain, sprockets and rear tire (Bt023).

..then cut the gently caress out of the knuckle on my left middle finger and got 4 stitches so now I can't ride without being in excruciating pain :smith:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went on a ride with my ~70 year old mechanic friend. He rides an 04 GSXR 1000, me an 89 GSXR 750. It was awesome. Old guys are the best riders.

After we got back home, I complained about my suspension and he took a few wrenches to it and found out that the front forks had been adjusted all the way so it was as stiff as it could be. When he turned the screws out, the front actually moved like it had suspension. I rode it home and the feeling is so much better. I love old mechanic friends.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

N183CS posted:

While I waited for my oil seals to arrive so I can actually ride again, I decided I had enough of looking at dead bugs, grease, dead bird remains and all the other 67,000 miles of grime and crud that had accumulated on my bike over the past 20 years. I tore it down to a rolling chassis and engine in the driveway and then armed with a bottle of dish soap, an old tooth brush, a hose and a small tupperware tub I spent all afternoon making my old BMW look like this.

God I love those old Paris Dakar's. Very nice bike.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Checked me valves after 17000KM. Every one was still loose! gently caress you Suzuki and your 6000km reccomondations, that's retarded. Also changed me sparg plugs and a cap.

AND NOTHING WENT WRONG. It was a good day :)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Hot Buttered posted:

I pulled my first clutch up wheelie today. Based on my previous experimentation, I was completely unprepared when the bike immediately shot up to 10 o'clock and kept going. It was a scene worthy of Youtube as I almost fell off, chopped the throttle, and then slammed the front down, followed closely by my nuts into the tank. I then sped away hunched over in ball pain, cackling like mad. It was awesome, although I am glad noone was there to see it. drat sure forgot about my lovely day at work though.

Remember to always cover your front break :v:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
New front tire, changed oil & filter, cleaned air filter, fixed most of the oil leaks, put the fairings back on and put the saddlebags on.

Vancouver, here I come!

MrZig fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 22, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
gently caress I am so jealous of that bike. It is beautiful in an ugly but durable BMW kind of way.

Today I rode my bike for the last time until spring :( Insurance ran out and it's going to snow any day now. I even got the forks rebuilt with progressive springs today!

Then I ripped my clutch apart since it's slipping and found out all my plates are burnt. Woohoo! Something to tinker with..

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's not just dumb legally, there was one goon who posted some time back about how he got minor brain damage from falling off a bike in a parking lot with no lid on.

Just don't do it, ever.

My buddy was in a low speed crash with a full face on and got brain damage. :( Wear that lid folks.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Put a new clutch and rear tire on the DR650! I never knew it could sound so much better clicking into first gear just by changing the clutch. Mmm.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took the DR into a farm field here and messed around, then crawled back onto the road and dropped it. :( Turned out the front tire was all mucked up and turned into a big rolling grease ball so it just slid out from under me.

Dislocated my right shoulder and banged my knee on the ground, but it's no big deal because I pop my shoulder out at least once a week on average. Got it back up and popped a wheelie back to the shop :v:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Frances B Cat posted:

I way overdid it. Threads stripped, oil everywhere. I also recommend not using a torque wrench on drain plugs. I'm a loving idiot. :cry:

Did you use a new crush washer? I find that I really torque down drain plugs if I use the old flattened washer, yet if I use a new one, it snugs down with lots of feel. Kind of like an old vs new spark plug.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sold it! 1993 DR650 is going to a new owner and I'm $1800 richer. :)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Pulled the engine from GSXR A) and put it on the ground to be rebuilt, then pulled and put the engine from GSXR B) into frame A). Its been a long day.

Turns out I can lift an '89 oil cooled 750 I4 engine all by myself!

....I might need some advil.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Spent the entire weekend changing heads on my '89 GSXR 750 and rebuilding the engine on my 2000 DRZSM.

I'm getting tired of doing engine work, I just want to ride. :smith:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Finished the head swap on the '89 GSXR and 3 starter revolutions later it BURST INTO LIFE! :woop: :woop:

So stoked that my project worked out. Time to ride home. It's been a long 4 days..

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sync'd the carbs on the Jickser, then took it on a twisty road ride and froze my rear end off. Loved every minute of it.

Also I was on reserve the whole time, with no gas station within 60 km, and my bike literally died the second I turned into the first one I found. I was laughing SO hard. I've always heard of people's bikes sputtering and dying just as they enter a gas station, not thinking that its very likely but it actually happend to me today. Oh man, what luck. :D

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Finished rebuilding the DRZ engine, then did some much needed maintenance on the jickser - heli coiled a hole, put on the front sprocket guard, drilled out and re-tapped the broken shifter security bolt, oil change, couple gaskets replaced.

It's been a productive day!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Added electric start to the drz. PO took it off and all the wiring that goes with it to save weight. What a retard. 7 hours of work to get it but it works perfectly. Had to re wire all the kill switches, some ignition wires, install the solenoid and battery and those wires, route them all accordingly and shrink tube the crimps. It took forever but it was very satisfying to work perfectly on the first try, and I know it will last.

It is civiliszed!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

How heavy was it?

Starter, battery, solenoid and the stuff that goes with them maybe added 15-20 pounds which is pretty small considering the convenience it adds.

If one was so inclined, I could get a lithium ion battery and save 10 pounds but why? Drz's will never be light.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Engine swaps aren't that bad...just take your time with it and you'll be fine!

I've done several!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Some popping on decel is completely normal with a bike in good tune. Though if its the stock exhaust and you hear a lot, you might have a problem.

I got flames out of my DRZ ;)