Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I decked my bike out in very utilitarian SW Motech bags, so I hear you. Practicality over aesthetics. (Mostly.)

That really sucks losing the pannier like that, though.

Bonus points for my large bag fitting on my scooter, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

With the hidden mount do these also discourage tailgaters?

I mean, hopefully. The bag on the top would sit flat if I wasn’t using the Tall Boy seat. At some point I may have a custom seat made because while this is a huge improvement on the stock seat, I don’t love it.

That’s only if I keep the bike long term, of course. We have great custom seat people near Portland, but none of them are cheap. I think the $500 or so they start at is totally reasonable, but if I decide I want a different bike next summer, I’m gonna be real annoyed at that money spent.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Much lower stakes because it's just aesthetics, but I am having the worst time figuring out if some of the Memphis Shades fairings (specifically looking at the Road Warrior) would fit my 2017 Roadster.

Yeah, their site doesn't list it as fitting, but I think it's the same front end as the forty-eight from the same year, which does fit.

I like the little café deflector I have less and less (especially since they were not great painters), but I'm willing to strip it and repaint it if I can't find something just a touch beefier.

The current setup (minus the new seat I put on a couple weeks ago - and the cruiser tires I put on it that make it ride way the gently caress better).

I guess it's all about how far apart the forks are, but I'm hitting the wall trying to work out how far they are apart in relation to the forty-eight. Obviously I can go measure my own, but outside of finding a forty-eight, I'm not sure.

edit: I already see I'm wrong about them having the same front end. But I know Harley reuses parts everywhere, so I guess the hunt is till on.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 18, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I broke the first cheap top box on my first cheap 50cc scooter by putting too many roleplaying game books in it.

They’re very heavy books.

Why yes, I am considering an NC750X for my next bike. Why do you ask?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am just old enough to have never played Fortnite, so I’m always wondering how Fortnine became so popular with this kids.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where do stickers for my top box fall on the farkle scale?

Are they load bearing or just decoration?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Advice to anyone reading this: if you ever get a chance to ride any kind of 50cc scooter, you owe it to yourself to take your hands off the bars and see how long you can stop yourself from grabbing them again.

can confirm

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Added SW Motech crash bars to the Bonneville.

The OEM chrome dresser bars are arguably prettier, but these will be way more help if/when the bike gets dropped.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

First service for my T120 advised at 600 miles, so I decided to be just a little extra about it.

I’ve had the bike all of 2 weeks. loving love it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I was already planning on it, if for no other reason than to get to know the bike.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Installed the grab rail mounting kit on the T120, which will serve as a better anchor for my SW Motech Legend tail bag while I wait for the grab rail to show up in a week or so. Then I can install my SW Motech SLC carriers for my panniers and have proper storage again.

Also installed a probably unnecessary engine guard. Also from SW Motech.

I swear eventually there will be things that aren’t just OEM or SW Motech on the bike, but those Germans make good poo poo, I already had the bags from my last bike, and their distribution center for the US is about 20 minutes away so it’s really easy to stop by and see if I actually like things before I order them.

I would feel very manly about breaking one of the torque wrenches, but it was while tightening something to 7 nm. Why yes, it was a cheap one from Harbor Freight. How did you guess?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Thanks for sharing. Videos where people work on things but don’t ruin it by talking to you the whole time are one of my favorite things to put on while I work.

And phenomenal work there. I have some temptation to get into paint and body work because I’m an art school dropout with a relatively steady hand, so I appreciate seeing the work y’all do there.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The above linked video is so close to perfect, and it would be if it didnt have the music.

Stick a good mic next to the bike and let that be the soundtrack

100% agreed.

I don’t want to hear you trying to create your brand and I don’t want to hear the public domain music you didn’t hate. Just gimme them sweet tool and engine sounds, babyyyy.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I installed my heated grips without loving anything up!

Or that’s what I thought until I noticed that when I propped the master cylinder up, it scratched the cheap plastic housing on my clocks. Not bad, but annoying. I’ll do something about it at some point, but I’m not sure what yet.

But they work, I didn’t goof anything up mechanically, and now I think I’m gonna gently caress off on a long ride tomorrow while there’s (supposedly) a single day of good weather.

Only other thing I still want to do to the bike is add a center stand. Also want to use the fact that I can now use a larger bag on the right (the Harley has a higher muffler) to get two new ones and hand these down to my partner for her Himalayan, but that doesn’t count.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Having heated grips on the Harley made me a true believer. I’m just gonna install them on everyone’s bikes in our garage when they’re not looking. Don’t think you need them? TOO BAD you’ll thank me later.

My Royal Alloy scooter has a center stand and it’s really loving useful, so I’m already a little aware but drat I hate spending even more money.

Also, I know it’s probably a bear to add heated grips to a Chinese scooter that looks like an old Lambretta, but I’m still tempted.

I really tried getting the old grip off through brute force and felt very silly when I gave up and squirted a little brake cleaner under it. 20 minutes of struggling, 1 minute to actually pull the thing off with almost no effort.

I continue to refuse to learn things the easy way.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

They made kind of a big deal at the dealership that Triumph quietly threw different tires on this year’s bikes. Nobody seems to like the old stock Pirelli’s.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Washed, waxed, and did my first round of what will be semi-regular weather-proofing on the Bonneville so that the wet environs here don’t hasten any rust that will eventually happen.

Washed and waxed the Roadster I’m trying to sell. Might detail it a little more later.

Washed my scooter.

Helped wash and then waxed our partner’s Street Glide.

Put the Bonneville away, satisfied at a job well done and then noticed I hadn’t so much as rinsed the rims or spokes off.

gently caress it. Next time.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Another boost for the S100 cleaning kit I bought on a goon’s suggestion.

I did an initial rinsing down the day after I got back, but today I thoroughly cleaned the Bonneville after my road trip.

Thanks to my drop, I have a few scratches here and there. I’m not worried about most of them (they’re on east to replace parts I was thinking of changing for cosmetic reasons anyway), but I found a couple of tiny ones on a part of the tank where they’re kind of hard to see.

I used the finishing//filling wax on them after my scrub down and I wish I’d taken before and after pictures because I was genuinely surprised with how well it filled them. It’s hard to tell they were ever there to begin with.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Very simple, but swapped out the brake lever I broke and the pedal I smooshed when I had an oopsie on some gravel I had no business riding on during my vacation.

By the way, with this pedal off and in my hand, there's no way it was bending back without breaking.

Might put the busted pieces in a shadow box with a picture of the bike taking its nap as a memento of my first real goof up.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ducati edition of Operation when?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I took the scooter to see a movie because it was like 60 degrees and barely drizzling here yesterday. I started it a couple weeks ago when I also pulled the Harley out and got it started (had to charge the battery a bit and it’s clearly not the best gas still in that tank) and yesterday it just immediately turned over.

I’m used to having to kick it a few times for it to get enough gas moving to turn over but it was eager to go.

I’ve considered putting the stock bars back on the Harley over the winter in case it makes it easier to sell come spring, but I don’t know that I want to open that can of worms.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Now imagine that your motorcycle just comes with one of those built-in and ready to flip down at any time :aaa:

Speaking of, I just got the center stand (oh I’m sorry it’s a triumph so Centre Stand) kit. Hoping to put it on tomorrow.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Maybe the hardest part about putting the center centre stand on was not pulling the other silencer off when I saw how dirty the inside of the one I had to remove was.

Guess I know a thing I’ll likely be doing when I do a spring clean.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I took advantage of the first decent weather in weeks and rode for 5 or so hours today.

It is shocking how much of my mental health is wrapped up in how much I get to ride when it's something I didn't really start doing until a few years ago. It's already something I have to do to be well regulated.

Motorbikes good.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I got a postcard about a recall (something about the brakes, I think) either just before or just after I did my 600 mile service on my Bonneville. I hadn’t even seen it yet when I took it in and they took care of it. I’m sure they’ll do the same for your bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Last weekend I took off the carrier for the top box I haven’t actually used since probably September.

The bike looks infinitely better.

I should probably just sell it for a few bucks but it also doesn’t take up a ton of room.

I am no anti-top box but I am definitely anti-top box on my Bonneville. I tend to lean practicality over aesthetics but … I just can’t. It’s too ugly and when I took my long road trip last year, it created this wall with my other luggage so that instead of leaning on my duffel being comfortable, it was shoved into my back.