Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Last week my clutch cable snapped. It felt odd shortly after leaving work, and checking the adjuster at the lever I saw some of the wire strands were frayed, so I went home. Got to my garage and it fully let go when I popped into first to ride the last few feet in.

So today was the replacement, which required getting the fuel tank, air intake, and battery tray out of the way. Replaced the air filter that I've had sitting for six months as well.

Went to swap the rear tail light with an LED array piece, but that ended up blowing the fuse that killed the turn signals, and I didn't think it appeared much more visible standing several feet behind compared to the factory bulb so I didn't bother trying it again

Filled the coolant reservoir tank which looked to be dry :pepsi:

Clutch feels great now. I knew it was a difficult pull before and needed lubed which I was putting off, but I didn't realize exactly how bad it was until feeling it with the new cable.

After renewing registration around the similar time on both the car and the bike, I've put more miles on the bike last year for my second year of riding :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

The first time I did my own tires it was a poo poo show. It was in December, so the rubber was cold and uncooperative, I didn't quite learn how important it was to get the one bead in the center of the rim to give me more room to work with at first, and the pump I initially tried to use was too underpowered to get the bead to pop in place.

This weekend I'm going to do a coolant drain and fill it with that blue Engine Ice brand.

I'm thinking braided brake lines and fork rebuild this year as well.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

What an immense pain in the rear end. Flushed the coolant today and based on what was in there being 50% rust by volume, I'm guessing that was another maintenance item that the prior owner never touched.

After this flush, front caliper rebuilds, pads and rotors, air filter, upcoming braided lines, clutch cable, and tires, I'm tempted to get a full set of replacement plastics as they don't look too expensive on partzilla and all the items for a complete rebuild are available. I'm missing a few square inches of plastic, one or two cracks, and a missing bolt or two in the fairings from a standstill drop by the PO.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I had a random issue over Labor Day weekend where I hit the low gas warning and the bike would not rev past 6-7k RPM. Had no idea what it was, but figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the battery as I had no idea how old it was and got a bottle of fuel system cleaner too.

Battery was definitely due for replacement. Fires up in a fraction of the time compared to the old one.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Slide Hammer posted:

Taking care of any kind of actuated control really does wonders for every bike. Several months ago, I had to replace my clutch cable and my throttle cable at the same time, arguably the two most actuated controls. I also took that chance to replace the clutch lever. It totally changed the feel of the bike. Felt brand new.
I had a really tough clutch pull before the cable frayed and snapped. Between the new cable and a cleaning and fresh grease of the bolt and pin, yeah, felt like a new ride.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Is it placebo, or did replacing my 24k mile old chain make the shifting feel crisp and super responsive, and just general feeling of "better" with the bike in general

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Gonna start a shoe company called Helmeti

sounds like that business decision could go arai

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I just got this on clearance, my first head lamp:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron%27s_garage/tools/nebo/transcend_head_lamp.html

USB charge, 18650 battery, magnetic rear end end

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I don't think my seals are leaking but after 25k miles and 20 years on the road I should do them and put in heavier springs to match my weight.

Noticed an oil leak now that I might try to dig into myself if doesn't seem that bad, but it would be the first time cracking open any part of the engine for me.

I'm also due for valve checks and the current set of tires probably won't last much more than this year.

:negative:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I finally started to check out my oil leak. Removed the belly pan plastic and that was where most of the oil was going, as like half of the inside was just a thin layer of sludge. Sprayed some degreaser and cleaned up as much of the bottom of the engine as I could get to. Really hoping that the leak can be fixed without needing to take off the exhaust headers since half of those nuts and bolts do not look like they're gonna come off easily. At least the oil level was still showing on the dipstick. Very much at the bottom, but it was still enough there to be clearning the minimum level, so it is a very slow leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

After degreasing the engine to find the source of the leak, it looks like it was two oil pan bolts where the aftermarket belly pan plastic was installed. Tightened them up and haven't seen a new drop of oil since.