Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Took the cover off the Kawasaki Police 1000. I just have to put the battery in, fire it up, and change the oil. Then there is the other 1,000 things I need to do it. Kid, wife and work eat up all my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Put the Garmin Navi 255 on my Kawasaki Police 1000:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I finally rebuilt the front brake master cylinder on my 1977 Honda CB750K. I've been trying to get the cir-clip out without resorting to the Honda custom cir-clip pliers.

Once I got it out, the internals looked like this (Shiny replacement parts on the right):

The channel was full of sorts of gunk, so I used .45 acp brass bore brush and compressed air to get it all out. Works like a charm now!

(yeah yeah, I know I need to clean my bikes)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Oil changed on the 1977 CB750K. Unfortunately I couldn't change the filter because the oil filter bolt is totally stripped. THANKS, DAD!

I only put 200 miles on it last season. I'll worry about it at the end of this riding season.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I picked up and installed a used seat for my 77 Honda. It's in much better condition than my original seat.

Next step, install grab bar.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm a little late on this but I was wondering what mount you used? I got a free nuvi 270 in the deals thread a while back that I would love to slap on my Zephyr

I actually went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025LD3GA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Looked better than a ram mount. Here's more pictures:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Ola posted:

Don't think it looks better than a RAM mount but certainly cheaper and will do the job well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to Hell with all those balls and other crap to wiggle loose. The GPS snaps in tight and it has a nice range of movement. (shrug)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Oil and filter finally changed on the 1989 Kawasaki Police 1000

I didn't forget any parts this time!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Drained the old gas out of the tank of 2002 Yamaha R6 and replaced it with new gas plus a little Seafoam. I also changed the spark plugs. Why didn't anyone tell me that you have practically disassemble the whole bike to change the plugs? Also, cleaned and oiled the chain.

It's running better but the carbs must still be gummed up. I let it warm up on 1/2 choke and then it would idle decent with no choke. Giving it any throttle resulted in stalling. I adjusted the idle up a little bit and it would sometimes hang at 4500 when I blipped the throttle but it no longer stalled.

Nonetheless it was 40 degrees out. Roads are still covered in rock salt. gently caress it, I took it for a short ride. drat thing shifts like a dream! It never stalled and the idle didn't hang much at all on the road. Maybe I just need to ride it some more and let the Seafoam do its work. I'm pretty handy and have cleaned carbs before but the R6 carbs are a pain in the rear end to get to. If it doesn't clear up I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. :(

Let's see. I just take off both seats, the gas tank, and then..

the airbox, air induction system, cowling, and heat shield. Seriously WTF?

This was the worst looking one. Which isn't bad at all.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I rode the Yamaha R6 from storage to my house. It was "exciting."

- First real time riding the bike
- Idling is weird because the carbs are a little gunked up. (Idling between 2000-4000)
- Rush hour traffic

Other than nearly popping a wheelie and learning about push to cancel turn signals (WHAT IS THAT BLINKING??) The ride was full of awesome!

The KZ1000P Police bike is now sold. The electrical gremlins can be someone else's problem.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Changed the oil on the R6. It actually went smoothly! I rarely get an oil change where nothing goes terribly wrong. I was a little daunted about taking off the fairings but it was stupid easy. It looks like the factory oil filter may have been on the bike!

No leaks, no issues, starting to run better now that the sea foam is working it's way through the carbs.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I finally washed mine and then rode the gently caress out of it. It spent half the ride idling around 1200 rpms (yeah!) and the other half stuck around 2500 unless I blipped the throttle several times. Still way better than when I first got it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

wrecked it. some person in a ford explorer ran a stop sign and t-boned me. now i'm lying in a hospital bed with a broken hip and wondering what the bike looks like

Whoah! Glad to hear you are still alive!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Well, it's not technically my bike but I helped a friend replace his forward foot controls on his Harley Sportster 1200 with mid-controls. It was a bigger pain in the rear end than it should have been. Apparently it was well worth it because he says the bike handles much better.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I discovered how the R6's low fuel stuff works:

HA I'm on the express way doing 90 MPH! HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT RED LIGHT?

Thank God I read the owners' manual.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pubic Lair posted:

I would give this guy a buzz
http://www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx

He stocks all kinds of vintage parts and is really well informed on what parts swap with what. I would give him a call and tell him you need a gs850 cable but however many inches shorter and he will probably have a cable off a 650 or something that will be the right size in stock. He's gotten me parts that local places couldn't even look up.

I've used Z1 a bunch of times. They know their stuff. Tell him what you need and he'll make it happen for cheap.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Rode both my bikes. Tried out the transport 19 tank bag on the R6. It was windy as gently caress and I didn't go on the highway because I wasn't sure if it was going to stay on with the huge blasts of wind. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I was surprised how invisible that tank bag is. I expected it to be in the way or at least be noticable, but it was out of the way!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I visited some friends who live in Detroit. Nothing makes you feel more badass/scared then riding through a post apocalyptic city of Detroit.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Rode into work today and a student on a straight piped Harley pulled up as I was taking off my gear. He told me that my bike is a piece of poo poo, he hates "crotch rockets", "crotch rockets" are responsible for the vast majority of traffic accidents, and that "crotch rocket" riders give motorcyclists a bad name.

I complimented his novelty helmet, asked him if he's ever heard of the Hurt report, inquired why I have never seen his biked parked there until the weather warmed up, and walked inside.

Sounds like someone is jeal-lous!! :rolleyes:

Don't we just love our biker stereotypes?

Harley-Davidson/Cruiser Crowd = Banker/Accountant poser who rides a garage queen. Straight pipes added without a carb tune or EFI remapping and thus has lovely performance versus stock. Other bike modifications consist of getting as much leather poo poo on the bike as possible. Safety gear is for fags unless it is a leather vest with chaps and a skull cap novelty helmet.

Sportbike/Crotch Rocket - Hooligan 19 year old who is more interested in stuntz and trix then getting a job. Theses are the people who cut off other drivers and ride like maniacs and put the CHILDREN in danger! Bike mods are geared toward flashy lights and anything that looks like a tribal tattoo. Riders will have too much gear or none at all.

BMW/Goldwing Crowd - Pfft..old people.

;)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Speaking of bike stands, I put my R6 up on my stands by myself for the first time. Holy poo poo is it nerve racking to me.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

n8r posted:

Riding an old BMW - probably a hipster douchebag.

BMW = old bike, old rider, or old money. Something old is involved. :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I rode the R6 to work. Holy gently caress 37F feels even colder than I remember. It's funny how I can never tell if my vents are open or not in the heat but in the cold I was acutely aware of every single port on every piece of gear.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

After a beautiful ride home from work I decided to tackle wiring in something that would let me power my iPhone and my GPS for my long trip. I didn't want anything permanent because the bike is all sexy and stuff and a cigarette lighter socket on the handlebars or tie wrapped to the forks would probably drive me crazy. I decided to put everything in my Rapid Transport tank bag. I figured it's already got cable openings for headphones and hydration, so why not us it?

I had some extra Battery Tender Jr quick connects laying around, so I first attached one set to the battery and then tucked the waterproof connector under the seat near the tank. I then cut off the connectors from the other quick connect and attached it to the accessory socket. I picked up a dual power adapter for my iPhone that also has a USB port so you can charge an Apple device and something else at the same time.

When I want power I just pull the quick connect out of the tank bag and connect it up.

All of these wires can be stowed in the hydration pocket when not in use.

The hydration clips work great for the USB cable which reaches the RAM mount perfectly. I need a drat pic of everything on the bike but it was dark by the time I was done. Having my two year old son "help" made things take much longer, but it was more fun!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Scrapez posted:

Success! Got the wheels and rotors on and the front brake working well. It was unbelievably dirty. Zapped it with some brake cleaner and pressed the pistons out a bit and got it freed up.

Are those Road King shocks? How do you like them? I hear they are vastly superior to the stock shocks.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

OdinAllfather posted:

Crap. I totally thought that I could soak them in a bowl of brake cleaner.
Ho well, off to more vintage bike websites to spend more money.

Of course you still need to answer the question of how you got oil on your brake pads. I doubt someone applied a film of oil to your rotor. Are you sure your fork oil isn't leaking? Perhaps brake fluid that worked its way around piston seals?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Mounted the saddle bags and tail bag on the R6 for the trip to Tennesee. Watching the weather channel and crossing my fingers that the weather will be perfect on Wednesday when I finally launch.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

'06 Sporty

- Rode 40 miles to get a rear tire installed. Weirdly enough, a podunk Kaw dealership had the OE Dunlop in stock and was willing to do the work on a Saturday. Splendid job by Team Green, and a fine example of moto agnosticism. The old unit, while not treadless, was apparently responsible for the bike's interesting highway behavior of late.

- Removed the passenger pegs because, honestly, who's kidding who here? A recent conversion to mids makes foot planting a challenge when they're in use anyway.

'83 Nighthawk 750

- Dusted it off, defibrillated it, and then red-lined the Seafoam out of it. Or the Stabil. Or whatever the hell I put in there before the last ice age arrived. I'm restoring it at the rate of one subsystem per summer, so it ought to be done by 2066. Soichiro-san would be so proud.

I hear the charging systems are super iffy on those things (Night Hawks) You may need to replace every component and the battery twice. ;)

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 7, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Washed it, waxed it, cleaned and lubed the chain. 1262 miles on the roadtrip and the chain slack is still fine.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Put my bike on the stands for after-trip maintenance. Using the front stand was a lesson in faith. I need new skins, are my stands appropriate for removing the wheels?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

The front stand has short pegs that slide into holes on the front forks. It didn't feel like the most stable platform out there but I'm a pretty paranoid guy. For all I know it's perfectly fine.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Nighthawk:

- Reinstalled the front wheel, featuring Tire Mounted Correctly (TM). Thanks to Z3n for the important safety tip. The trip to the Victory/Kaw shop was a bonus.

- Some genius designed the right brake line bracket so that it mounts inside the fender. This would be fine if it weren't an EDGED WEAPON sitting microns away from the sidewall. Makes no sense, and it's not going back in. I'll find a DIY alternative.

- Added air to the front forks to spec. Used a HD pump/gauge designed for touring shocks. Required no special $75 adapter and did not result in an explosion. Yet.

- Used I75 for the shakedown cruise and discovered I didn't quite put the speed sensor back in correctly. DAARRRRRRR.

Let me guess, the speedo needle bounced somewhere between 25 MPH and 100 MPH. "Well I'm sure my speed falls somewhere between those two extremes."

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Phy posted:

1300 km circle route over two days. Not Iron Butt material, but not bad for me.

What is the point of the Iron Butt? The more distance rides I do, the more I question people who brag about Iron Butt. Covering 1000 miles in 24 hours doesn't lend itself to enjoyable riding.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Rode into work today and saw this beautiful machine in motorcycle parking.

I let Marv Hushman talk me into riding at lunch. It's the first time I've ridden in dress shoes and without leg armor in years. Of course we had to take the road where I had both of my wrecks. :monocle: I felt naked, unprotected, and ill at ease. Either way, I survived and I'm better man for it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I told ya at lunch yesterday that the NightHawk was flying! That sucks, dude!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I changed the oil and oil filter element on the 77 CB750K. I've only ridden it twice this year, but the oil was from last year and I had no idea when the element had last been changed. I didn't change the filter last year because the oil filter bolt was hosed and I didn't want to force it out without a replacement nearby.

The old one was 12 or 13mm. The new one has a nice 16mm head on it.

When I got the assembly off, it was clear that the oil filter, spring, and retaining washer were put in wrong. The spring and filter were reversed and the washer was missing altogether. The rubber grommet on the oil filter was pushed inside the filter as well. I'd bitch about the PO, but the last person who probably changed it was my late father. Don't push me over, dad! (My big bike accident was on the anniversary of my father's death)

Lotsa dirty oil was in there:

I cleaned the gently caress out of the filter housing and then proceeded to drop it in the dirty oil pan when I tried to bolt it back on the bike. Oh well, on a bike with this many oil leaks, it doesn't make sense to make it cherry.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Crayvex learned me how to pop this thing onto the center stand. My approach (sort of a half-assed reverse kick start) was all wrong. What can I say, in Harleyland all we have are "jiffy stands." Yes, that's still the official terminology.

I learned many things riding the old cop bike. One of them was how to lift a 600+ lb bike onto the center stand by myself.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

benwards posted:

Elaborate! I had a hell of a time getting my CB700 up onto it's stand, and it topped out around 500lbs. I wound up standing on the stand (har) with my right foot while holding the bars. Then I'd kick straight backwards with my left leg while leaning back and jerking hard (ahem). Usually took two or three tries.

Marv is a better writer than me, but I'll try to describe it. The following instructions assume you are right handed.

1) Stand on the left side of the bike. (Clutch lever side)
2) Grab the left hand grip with your left hand and and then the left rear grab bar with your right hand.
3) Tilt the bike away from you until it is level
4) Put your right foot on the center stand peg and then roll the bike slightly back while lifting up with you right hand on the grab bar
5) It should roll a few inches and pop right up!

Hint - I found that rolling the back tire onto a small piece of wood like a 2x4 before you follow the above steps makes it super easy. That way you're not lifting the bike very much.

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 5, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

ari.gato posted:

I want this.

SOLD! As of two days ago.

I don't really miss it. It was really heavy, constant electrical issues, and rattled like crazy. It was awesome, but I just got sick of constantly wrenching on it. Oh, and it was never the same after hitting the broad side of that Ford Truck.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Sounds about right. It's counterintuitive, because we're conditioned to have two hands on the bars at all times. It's also a leap of faith holding (in my case) a 570lb bike upright with one leg on terra firma. I don't recommend doing it routinely with a bike this size, because your luck will eventually run out and it'll either be your back or the right side of the bike that gets trashed. Maintenance, etc.

The 2x4 makes it much easier! I remember the time I was putting the cop bike on the center stand in a moto parking lot due to issues with the #1 carb. You sort of hit a point of no return when you are levering the bike up. If you don't muscle it onto the center stand, then it's going to come back down with a 50/50 chance of coming toward you or away from you. This day I was a pussy and didn't just muscle it up. It was hot, I was tired and I let it back down to try again and... OOPS... gently caress gently caress gently caress... it leaned away from me. I'm a 170 lbs and I'm trying everything to keep the bike from falling on its right side. For 30 seconds I struggled to keep it from falling while yelling for help that never came. My muscles started to give in and it began its slow descent to the ground...when suddenly it slowed and I was able to gain control of it again. Turns out my right mirror touched the left mirror of the Harley next to me. This is what kept the bike from flopping over. I did the manly thing of bending the other mirror back into position and then moved my bike somewhere the gently caress else. Since then, I always carried a small piece of wood in the saddle bag for center stand assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

drat that's a hot KZP, what year is it?

It's a 1989. It looks way better in picture than it ever did in person.

After hitting a truck!

The force of the impact actually bent all my spark plugs and cracked all the leads. It had some weird clicking noise from the left side of the engine after the accident.

The Yahoo KZ1000P group is awesome and I had guys giving me spare parts to get it back on the road.

One of the last rides before I sold it.

It was starting to develop some crazy wiring issues and I'm fairly certain the frame and forks were slightly bent. It was pretty hard to keep between the lines at 90 MPH before the accident and it was even worse after. All in all, a fine steed but I was starting to feel like I was risking my life every time I rode it. That's why I bought a sport bike! :eek: