Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I think I finally fixed the rolling issue with the 77 CB750K. Chain alignment fix from a few weeks ago took care of most of the problem, but it still felt "funny." I noticed that I had the front brake caliper adjustment too tight. Last year I was obsessed about getting the drat bike to stop.

I adjusted it so that it doesn't drag and now it rolls like a dream! There's not been any noticeable effect on the ability to stop the bike. It was lousy before and it's lousy now. Thank goodness I'm getting good at engine braking!

I took it for a quick 25 mile maintenance trip. Got it up to 95 MPH on the highway. What a difference from the R6! It feels like riding a pickup truck. I'm not sure I'm getting the correct performance out of this thing, but then again it's a 33 year old bike. I adjusted the valves last year, carbs are clean, new battery. I've not touched the points. I guess I need to take a look at them. :smith:

I pulled into an empty parking lot to take some quick pix. Some guy came flying in and jumped out of car and asked if I was selling it. Wow, maybe it's nicer than I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Finally cleaned up and polished the slip on Vance and Hines exhaust that came with my R6. I wanted to install it but I couldn't figure out how to get the stock exhaust off. :smith:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Bled the front brake again and adjusted the points gap on the CB750K. The gap was way off. Static timing is next.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Did it last night, but clubmans, bar end mirrors and new grips :)

Wow, that does look pretty sweet. Have you ridden it? Is it uncomfortable? Was the right turn signal already broke or was that the result of the first ride? ;)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Installed new points and capacitors in the 77 CB750k. I don't have a timing light so I did a static adjustment. What a pain in the rear end. Lots of wiggling this and what not but they were still opening up too soon. Finally said gently caress it and just adjusted the points themselves rather than the plate. That did the trick! Rev's up to red line much easier. Test ride went well, but it is still under whelming in the power department. I'll install new plugs next. I had the time today but I subscribe to the "one change at a time" school of though, so I'll always know WTF I did to ruin or improve performance.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

^^thanks.

What's the significance? I don't knoooooooooooooooooooooooow. But I do believe the Soviets are involved.

Here we have Carb #2 just about to be cited for public urination:

It looks to me like that maybe your automatic petcock really was working! I told ya that remembering to shut off the petcock is a pain. ;-)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

I've never seen a Honda of that vintage that still had the vacuum petcock attached. According to both of the DOHC forums, bypassing the vacuum system and just re-routing the lines into itself then using a regular petcock is a standard, encouraged practice during carb rebuilds.

Do it, life gets so much easier.

Whereas the Kawasaki's from that era are fine. Marv ripped it out based on the DOHC forum recommendations and I don't fault him for it. I just mentioned that you have to get in the habit of shutting it off manually.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Just did some normal maintenance

- Had to add some air to the tires. Rocking it at exactly 36 PSI
- Checked chain tension. Tightest part of the chain is still well within spec 1.8"
- Cleaned and lubed the chain. I love my grunge brush!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Now if I just spin this thing eleventy billion times, all the miles will come off the bike.

Speedometer success at last. I don't know what demon spirit led me to believe this was difficult a few months back. Go/no go assembly + operation is easily verified prior to re-mounting the wheel. I was just under pressure trying to make a launch time and screwed up the original. Such things are best done at a leisurely pace. Improved teardown time dramatically just by adding shorter fender mount bolts that can actually be worked in without wedging them against the sidewall.

So now that you have a speedometer again, does the bike seem faster or slower? I also wonder how badly it suffers from overly omptismitic syndrome. At 85 mph on my 77's speedo I just seem to be going along with normal 70 mph traffic.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I put the Honda CB750 away for the winter by putting in stabil, making sure it worked its way into the carbs,pulling the battery, and rolling it into the shed outback. The drat plastic bits of the choke cable broke. I put maybe 300 miles on it this year. I know that this was my dad's bike but I really don't have enough free time to justify owning two motorcycles. I mean I love the contrast between the Honda and the R6, but the Honda is a "weekends only" kind of bike. The lousy brakes/acceleration just won't cut it in the rush hour traffic I normally ride in.

Every time I ride the 750 I'm reminded what I still need to do to the bike:

- pull and clean the carbs
- splice in new plug wires and caps
- adjust the valves again
- replace the swing arm grease fitting
- new shocks
- new choke cable
- cosmetics...

The bike runs pretty darn good really. I can start it with one kick, but after riding a modern bike I can't keep the Sanford and Son theme out of my head when I'm riding it. Some one talk me into keeping it, if anything it will keel my father's ghost from haunting me.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

This is a cruiser troll right? I mean it has the troll elements:

- I'm going with the most forward controls ever!
- I'm gonna go with the fattest tire I can. I'd put a truck tire on if I can find a way to fit her on.
- I ain't got no sport bike. Leaning ain't important to me.
- Your opinion don't matter. I'm a tire engineer.

:hurr:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Schlieren posted:

Well, I'd certainly put more stock into someone who has tried it, put it through extreme conditions (for a cruiser) on a regular basis for hundreds of thousands of miles and whose attitude is "it's worked for me for years and isn't a big deal but it might not for you, try it out if you like and report back to us what you find" than someone opining without first-hand experience.

If you'd visited the forum I linked you'd see that 90% of the posters and posts there are for Hondas, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Triumphs and Suzukis, since Harleys for various reasons are hard to fit.

Your snarky, snotty attitude - especially when combined with your demonstrated ignorance about what you opine - speaks volumes.

Anyone putting car tires on their motorcycle is a retard. Are you really that cheap? You paid $10 to post on here right? It's your life and you shouldn't put too much stock in what anyone says on the Internet regardless of what they ride. Seriously, man. No one wants you to be a skidmark because your tire lost grip, tread separated or whatever. Plus it gives the insurance company yet another reason to pay you less money if you do get in a wreck. "He illegally modified his EPA mandated exhaust and then put on a non-standard car tire! This man is a bad motorcyclist!"

I question your other mod of forward controls too. They are poo poo for handling. Why are you trying to make your bike handle like poo poo?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

As far as that mod goes that has to be for the drag strip. I wouldnt take advice from a guy that stretched the swing arm and put that bastard tire on.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

It's. A. loving. Cruiser. We're not all knee-draggers.

I know a number of cruisers who went to mid controls and loving loved them. I guess I've read Proficent Motorcycling too many times but having your feet that far forward fucks with your center of gravtity. You don't need to be dragging knees to enjoy a bike that turns like it is supposed to.

I learned on a cruiser and I fell for some of that cruiser poo poo. Now I'm a motorcyclist. It doesn't matter what I ride but it will be optimized for handling because that is what is important. You need to be able to dive around that rear end in a top hat left turner!!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'm not sure he is a troll. That forum he linked to is apparently dedicated to retards... Er ... Riders who have found a way to stick it to the man by switching to car tires. It's crazy!

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t4355-made-the-switch-today

Re: Made the switch today!
  royalstargazer on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 am

Ok. Took it out for the first ride. Put 35 miles on. Back country roads, and some freeway. Heres the first set of comments on the switch. Just things I have noticed. Going to stick with the 35 psi for a little while more before playing with it.

1. Noticed a little of the wiggle in the rear but only slight. Was less noticeable the more I rode.

2. Stops way faster and a lot harder to lock up the rear wheel in a panic stop.

3. When riding slow in the parking lot, when I turn the handlebars, it seems to take more effort to straighten them out.

4. Can't tell yet, but I think the speedo is more accurate instead of being off by 5mph at 70mph.

5. Seems to be a little more squirrelly on freeway on ramps that have the soft rubber crack patch material.

6. The "bucking" bumps in the road are better now. Should be really better with a passenger.

Thats it for now. I'm sure there will be more as I ride it more. I will update my progress.

Re: Made the switch today!
  royalstargazer on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Ok. Back from Chattanooga. Put 1900 miles on. Rode the Dragons Tail, the Cherohala Skyway and the Devil's Triangle. Loved every bit of it. Would have never known I was riding on a car tire if I didn't put it on myself. Glad I made the decision to switch. The tire looks like new.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Pfff cruiser riders amirite?

Yesterday I made an actual important improvement to my Valkyrie.

I put speakers in my passenger armrests. Yes, that's right who need loud pipes when you can blast Ministry at 200db? :haw:

I was all set to run the wiring harness up through the trunk but I got an aftermarket wiring harness that didn't come with instructions (but was only $15) and I couldn't find the Hondaline installation PDF i had seen previously. So for now, the speaker wires run under the seat, and up under the passenger backrest. A little ghetto looking, but the trunk is going to be a pain to take apart and drill - it has an inner and outer shell and also all sorts of waterproofing seals, so I'll spend a little more time looking around to foigure out how to do it right.

I put in some Polk marine certified speakers and they make the OEM ones in the fairing sound like crap, so I'll have to look into replacing those as well. Problem is they are 4.5" speakers and who the gently caress makes 4.5" marine speakers? :argh: People on. The Valkyrie forums have put some Polk 5" speakers in the fairing and cut up the old speakers to make a mounting bracket so I'll probably do that.

Loud speakers save lives right? Just promise us you won't blast "bad to the bone" while cursing around in a leather vest and chaps. ;)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Touché ... I just noticed that my autocorrect turned cruising into cursing. This is a smart smartphone!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Schlieren posted:

I've got terrible knees, am tall as hell, my knees are around my ears when I ride even with forward controls, and it's absolute torture on them. I've never ridden in a crouch position so I don't know what I'm missing in terms of handling, but I do know I'm missing the inability to walk after I ride for more than 45 minutes at a time. Also, I've never really liked how many bikes look other than Harleys, although if this rig doesn't work out, I really love how Ducati Monsters look, and would simply sacrifice any ride longer than to work and back for the privilege of riding one.

I've ridden long enough with my feet off the controls and my calves resting on the pegs to think I'd rather have my feet on the controls than wish I'd been less comfortable.

How tall are you?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I pulled the R6 out of the back of the garage and I got it out on the road for a bit. I thought about putting the red windscreen/cobra sticker on it but I had my three year old with me. That kid will put stuff in my exhaust pipe if I'm not paying 100% attention to him.

"So all I need to do is put the last bolt on and... Uh where is the last bolt... JUNIOR!!!!!!"

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

Flushed the coolant.
Adjusted & lubed throttle cables.
Installed a USB charger:
http://i.imgur.com/FaJ8z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5hqUu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m4JTc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iVmoP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/53pu2.jpg

Neat! Where did you get the USB charger/port? I'd like to replace my gimmicky setup because it requires I use a tank bag.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

With the help of my big brother, I got my new tires installed on the R6. Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Meh, I'm not a racer.

It was easier than I thought it would be! (I let a shop doing the mounting and balancing)

Nobody breathe! I don't need it falling over!

Cycle shop had mounted and balanced within 30 minutes.

It's all back together again.

Next I need to install that red windshield and silver cobra symbol. (and kidnap a mad scientist or two)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I rode 200+ miles yesterday to break in the new Pilot Road 2's. I don't know if it was me or what but the bike sounds "different" and road "different." Bike handled fine but it was too drat windy to know for sure.

Originally there was like 10 Harley's out front. All it took was my R6 and my buddies Goldwing to make them scatter. HA HA HA

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Mock up install of the saddlebags, missing a buckle to strap it down 100% so I need to find one somewhere

I think you put them on backwards.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Had to pick a bike to pin to the curb double park with because of all the bad to the bone, skull-infested TRASHWAGONS and REI-sponsored bikes of Euro origin with stickers featuring Woodsy the Owl and assorted forgotten NPR-approved liberal causes that sounded like a good idea at the time all insisting on taking up two spaces and yes I'm aware this is the sort of run-on sentence I've been taught to avoid but I'm allowed three per year and SOOOOO:

Lucky winner: CRAYVEX

It doesn't help when this stupid POS is taking up like four spots.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I finally got around to installing that red windscreen. I'm not sure if its super cool or super nerdy (OR BOTH!)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Forty Two posted:

Congrats on installing a vagina on your bike

Just wait until I post pics of my Cobra Commander outfit on the bike. I'll never feel vagina again. :hurr:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

A pic of me that someone took at MotorCity Comic Con

Another one of me and an IMPOSTER!

Meh, I'm a huge GI Joe comicbook fan and I always preferred the black version. I promise to post some pics sometime. I just need to talk my wife into being a photographer.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

I rode home last night with my brand new backpack unzipped. I think all I lost was some USB cables and junk though. drat lucky too, because I stuck my passport and checkbook in there for some reason.

I know some people poo poo on the Mobile Edge Security backpack, but I love it because it can't be opened while you are wearing it!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

infraboy posted:

Took me about 2 days but I finally got my CBR F2 carbs removed. Took some serious tugging and prying.

I of course destroyed one of them in the process by puncturing one of the carbs with a prybar, also snapped off a little vacuum joint thing thats in the #1 cylinder head, i'll have to carefully drill it out and screw a new one in, it's a 4$ part. found a new set of carbs on ebay for ~100$

Also going to replace the 4 intake boots, those things were NASTY on my bike, hard rear end 18 year old rubber. Going to install new throttle cables, along with a valve adjustment.

It has been an interesting learning experience, good thing I have 3 other bikes to ride. :)

Yeah don't make a hole in the side like I did.

Wow, sorry to hear your bad luck. I'm feeling extra happy that I paid a Yamaha shop to pull and clean my carbs for less than $300 on my 02 R6.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'm glad you went with an actual motorcycle tire. I still think your forward controls are silly, but it's your bike. The exhaust is a major improvement! The question is, how loud is the bike now? :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I understand the desire to stretch out. I'm 6'2" and I rode my R6 from Detroit to Nashville. While it would have been nice at times, I can't justify the hit forward controls have on handling. It's your bike, go with what you like. Which is the opposite of my tastes.

drat those pipes look sweet. Too bad they are so loud. Marv had loud pipes on his Sportster 1200 for a while. After a day of riding behind him I could hear that stupid exhaust in my dreams... It sucked hard.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'm all about hearing protection but nothing will protect you when you are directly behind a bike with them "loud pipes" that "save lives". :hurr: (I always use hearing protection)

I just hate loud pipes. They are obnoxious, don't improve performance THAT much, and make cagers hate us even more. With that said, the pipes that were on your bike were demanding to be replaced. Also, you don't have to justify yourself to me. (I mean it. Who the gently caress am i?) But I also remember that you were trying to put a car tire on your bike... which is retarded.

Now I'm off to put clubman bars on my 77 Honda C750K. ;)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Permabanned idiot posted:

That's the only way. Big bolts requires large axes, and that Bandit 600 is a mean motherfucker.

(oh poo poo, not again Mr. Shitscrap)

Never mind I don't want to know...

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 7, 2011

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Replaced coils and wires on my 77 Honda CB750K. Coils were easy. Wires were a pain the rear end cause I had make em myself. I'm not real confident that the ends that connect to the coil will stay put. Still, it is running much better and it so longer missing!! Maybe tomorrow I'll electrical tape the piss out of them.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

^^^

Yeah, I knew those existed but a goon gave me a great deal on a set of dyna coils.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

DAAAAAAAAAAR DEEE DOIIIIHHH DAAARRRRRRRRRRRR DURRRR.

The mystery of why Marv returned from lunch in a brand new outfit is now explained! I, on the other hand, managed to ride home without a drop of rain on me. Should have waited for the storm to pass!

As for me, I rode my old Honda in today. It rides so much better with the new(er) shocks.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

you shouldn't need electrical tape. Yeah, I was being paranoid. I finished putting on the new wires I made at 10:00 PM. I was loopy.
did you put new wires on or the ones I sent? I tested with yours and then bought a new V8 performance set..without resistor caps.
you can use the boots off the old wires to help hold new wires on That's exactly what I ended up doing. They just didn't feel as solid as my old KZ1000P wire/coil connection

glad to hear those shocks are working out alright.
I have to confess I pulled them apart and doublechecked (and sodablasted) everything before I sent them just to be 100% sure they were as good as I promised.
Shiny aren't they?

Hell yeah they are! Although they are squeaky. It sounds like its from the spring rubbing against the caps.

The old one is on top. The lovely phone pic doesn't show how rotten the old one looked. It really handles much much better!

More info here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3218554&pagenumber=11#post393427324

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yea all my bell springs do that too. i think it's the tip of the spring rubbing inside the bell housing

...OH GOD IS THAT A CHUNK OF THE BELLHOUSING MISSING ON YOUR PREVIOUS SHOCK??? :gonk:

I'm really stoked that everything worked out for you.
Keep an eye on your points and charging system though. Those coils are much lower resistance than stock ones, and even with stock ones some people use resistor caps.

If you have points I recommend getting one of Hondaman's Transistorized Ignitions. If you're running an electronic ignition then you should probably put resistor caps on to keep the unit from overheating.

Yes, that is a chunk of the bell housing missing. Great huh?

As far as the ignition system, really? I really don't know anything beyond POINTS -> Coils -> Wire ->Plug -> Explosion = :) What do I need to do again?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

Not a motogadget ho in the least, but $50 for real time battery health data is smart money with a bike of this era. More important than the fuel gauge, since that info can at least be derived with some level of accuracy, and hitting reserve is a pretty effective early warning system.

This is the Argus Battery Bug, and it has a bit more smarts than the typical stick-on voltmeter. Rather than regurgitate the feature set, here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/3fhqtb4

Nice to have a "reserve" so you can at least aim the bike toward friendly territory and avoid Merle the tow service guy. We'll see how it goes.

Also: NOW WITH 44% MORE GRATUITOUS LENS FLARE

Has that thing stranded you due to battery problems since you did replaced the whole charging system? If not, you have now proven that you are more paranoid then even me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

The major damage was to my credit card, but the result will be more work on my bikes. I ordered a carb sync tool, adapters, aux fuel tank, and air cleaner today. I think I'm getting some vibration in the R6 and it is definitely the engine and not the wheels/chain/whatever. The bike now has nearly 7,000 miles on it and its never had a carb sync, so I might as well give it a try!