Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I installed Oxford heated grips on my otherwise bone stock cbr300r today. It was a bit more involved than I had hoped. I had to file down a bunch of protrusions on the throttle tube, and getting the body panels off for cable routing was a bit tricky - bike wrenching is new to me, sport bikes even more so. The technical manual I had managed to download was extremely brief on the subject but still helpful. I also manage to spill some CA glue on a body panel because I'm dumb. Anyways it's done and the wiring is all tucked away as neat as I could do it without stripping the bike way down. The control box looks like poo poo where I put it but at least I can reach it easily as long as I'm not turning sharply to the left.
First impression is I'm very happy with the function of the grips. Maybe full blast is good when it's well below freezing but 2/5 was plenty warm today. I'll try my thin gloves next time it's not raining and see how they do.

While I was in there I inspected the air filter which looked pristine, also super easy to get to. The bike only has 5000km on it and the only other things I've done to it was cleaning and lubing the chain, inflating the tires to spec and increasing the rear shock preload a bit right after I bought it last weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
^^^^That's cool. My handlebars are tiny to I just slapped it on some bodywork. If it's no good I'll just have to move it but it seems to work fine. I'll definitely look into modding the bracket if a move were to happen or fabbing a stainless bracket of my own worst case. A clutch handle pinch bolt seems like the obvious place.

Oh and you can totally see the CA glue i spilled just to the right of the clutch lever. Don't want to use acetone for fear of dissolving the paint. Maybe a razor blade. Knowing myself I'll probably just ignore it until it's time to sell the bike, hoping the elements and the very occasional sponge bath will get rid of it in time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

LimaBiker posted:

Try laquer cutting/polishing compound.

Thanks, I will when/if it's time to make the bike look pretty. I tested acetone on an invisible piece of plastic and it did nothing at all to it, so I got rid of the crazy glue that way. There's some some slight discoloration left from where the glue sat (not from the acetone thankfully) but I think it'll buff out and wax over should I ever be bothered. Odds are I'll layer Dan and ruin her looks completely anyway. It is a cheap learner bike after all.

A 300cc sport bike will never make a good tourer but I'm increasingly longing for a top box for a bit of commuting/errand practicality. There are brackets available but since I'm pretty broke right now I'm half tempted to just make one. I have steel and all sorts of metal working tools available, up to and including a lathe and a mill.

This doesn't look like rocket surgery. Also if I make my own I can include a beefy grab handle like what's on there now since I need to manhandle the bike pretty severely to slide the rear wheel around if I want to park it indoors in my shed (no real garage sadly).

Edit: Now I really wish I had that powder coating gun I've been wanting for a while. Which will cost more than just buying the bracket but such is the madness of amateur fabrication.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Any compressor with an air tank is better than no compressor though. You won't paint with anything bigger than an airbrush or run any air tools for more than five seconds (sometimes a single BRRRRT is all you need) which sucks but how do people without compressors clean the pocket lint out of their phone charging ports or properly clean their bike chains?

Edit: I decided not to fabricate a top box mount after all. There's too many other metal projects on my to-do list and shop time is at a premium right now. I got it for about €100 shipped. Might buy the box second hand though if I can find one of a reasonable size locally. As long as it holds a helmet and rain gear I'm happy I think.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
So now I have a top box on my CBR300R. I bought a small 30 liter Givi box and base plate previously owned though seemingly unused for peanuts, and the mount kit that arrived today was cake to bolt on. It seems well built and sturdy. I'll try it out tomorrow. Maybe it looks a bit weird with a box on a small bike with sporty ambitions at least aesthetically but what can you do. More practicality means more riding so it's a Good Thing I think.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I rode to work today and yesterday in Stockholm.

Monday morning it was wet and freezing and the roads got salted and I thought the season was over but then it rained a lot and the salt was washed away, and this morning it was just above freezing and almost completely dry. I have heated grips and adequate gear so it's actually still nice to ride, at least for half an hour at a time. I check for grip with the rear brake when I'm unsure and take extra care in general. Only real issue is that the visor fogs up easily so I need to crack it more and at higher speeds than when it's warmer. Also the gas tank feels cold aganst the thighs but it's no big deal. Next week looks to be dry and mild so I'll nix my plans to winterize this weekend and keep riding as long as possible. Gas is super expensive atm and my commuter e-bike is broken and awaiting parts from China so the motorcycle is currently the most attractive option even if I disregard the fun factor.

I've noticed that the waving and nodding between the few of us who still ride seems a lot more heartfelt now than when the weather is fair.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I got the learner bike spring ready by mounting the wheels with new tires. Also a chain lube deluxe with kerosene and pressurized air (I'll probably bother with this about once a year). Previously I flushed the brakes and changed the oil and filter. So now it's done, just check the tire pressure and go when the weather finally turns I hope.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I sorted my mirrors, I think.
Sportbike mirrors and I have fold them in to park the bike in my shed since the door is narrow. I messed up the original bolts trying to adjust the friction last year and have had temporary ugly bolts with no threadlock on them and riding around with a hex key in my jacket to tighten them as needed. Now I have nice looking bolts from the fancy bolt store (like €3 worth) loctited in with washers where I deem them appropriate. Hopefully I can fold the mirrors in and out a lot before I have to mess with the bolts again. So far it seems to be working as intended but time will tell. I just realized I'll need a wider shed door if (when) I get a bigger bike. Oh well such is life.

re: FSM: I've printed mine from a ginormous pdf of unknown origin and put it in a binder, still worth it. Hundreds and hundreds of pages but real good to have. Bro makes fun of me for wanting it on paper but no way am I faffing around with a laptop or tablet with dirty hands in the garage and paper rules and having it right there and not caring if it gets dropped or greasy rules. I even made a blown up color wiring diagram on A3 paper that folds out which also rules.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've done nothing to my ride lately since winter came back, but I received these:

I haven't found too many JIS fasteners on my bike yet but there are some, and I've been looking for a screwdriver set that doesn't cost a fortune for a good while. They're rare and hard to come by in my part of the world. Hopefully these are good enough for my needs.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SEKCobra posted:

The adjustment knob for my clutch lever is stuck, how do I turn the knurled finish without marring it up?

if it were me I'd wrap it in something and then use pliers on the something. A rag, electrical tape and last try a few wraps of an old cut up bicycle inner tube are the order of things I would try depending on stuckness. Then again I had to do the same thing not two weeks ago and just used the pliers naked since I'm gangster like that the adjustment knob is hidden by a rubber boot and I barely had to touch it to get it loose is the real reason

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I let my bike sit outside unlocked and uncovered in the rain for days. I got sudden fever chills at work last week, rode home shaking with cold, parked sloppily in a hurry and went straight to bed and stayed there for a long time being too sick to bother with doing anything about it. Oh well, I feel better now and I'm sure the rust on the brake discs will scrub off just like it does on cars as soon as I get on the thing again and ride. Also I missed the try-different-bikes event where I all sorts of neat bikes booked in on saturday (when it wasn't even raining).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Carbureted engines smell bad unless running on alkylate fuel IMHO

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

Add some castor-based oil and then the smell is right :colbert:

Castor oil smells great. I used to run it in my childhood methanol/nitro glow engine RC planes and remember it fondly (apart from cleaning up the sticky mess after). Adding perfume to the smelly poo poo that is carbureted pump gas exhaust only makes perfumed poo poo though :colbert:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That I can actually believe. Not sure if I have ever smelled the race gas/castor combo but race gas alone is pretty sweet.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Are you sure it's not every 10.000 km? 1000 is nuts.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Nah, checking for 7th gear only needs to happen once per high speed stretch. Quadruple checking that the blinkers are cancelled after every turn on the other hand is absolutely necessary.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I adjusted the position of the brake pedal since it's been uncomfortably high up. I should have done this immediately when I bought the bike a year ago. Took all of three minutes including fetching and putting away the tools.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
New clutch cable and oil change. I wasn't at the Honda specified oil change interval but man does the gearbox feel nice all of a sudden.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If moto chains are anything like bike chains (which is all I know anything about) factory lube is best lube and not to be messed with until necessary. I think I will replace the little honda chain this winter because it's time, even if I'll sell it before spring :(

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Remy Marathe posted:

Call me a selfish bastard but since you'll never get the value of that chain replacement back willingly in a resale, I'd totally leave it alone unless the current chain's overdue.
Not overdue but it's getting there. Bike is due for the periodic inspection in April but would probably pass as it sits now. If I actually sell my learner bike come spring any parts I throw at it this winter are likely wasted money, sure. But it's not a lot of money for a chain+oil and filter which is all I'm likely to do. It's likely to be babby's first bike for someone else, and I want the next rider to have a machine similar to what I got; a bike that will work for a good long while with nothing except gas, chain lube and tire air. Being a newbie is daunting enough as it is and I'd like to tell any prospective buyer it's ready to ride with a straight face.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I typically got 2-3k miles on SRAM chains and about 10k miles out of Ultegra cassettes.
I bike commute winters through brine. poo poo is hard on drivelines and anything else that slides or spins. New chain, cassette and shifter cable every spring regardless of mileage, bearings when they go bad which is frequent :(
Belt drive is pretty tempting, though my internally geared hubs get brine ingress too after a while. At least with a derailleur setup the need for maintenance is obvious.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought a bike yesterday, trailered it home, gave it a wash and let it dry indoors overnight. Today I yanked the battery, reverted the muffler to stock and put it in cold storage until spring.

It sits under a cover now and has a disc brake lock too because why not. Sleep well new bike, dream of sunshine and clean, dry asphalt.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

E-P posted:

I can't imagine getting a new bike and not at least taking it for a ride. Insane to me.

It sucks but it makes some sense. There's road salt all over the place and it's generally cold and dark, wet and nasty when it's not outright icy. Prices are lower right now because of this and the headache of winter storage. Also inflation is eating my savings so I might as well spent my fun bucks now and ride later. I took it for a short test ride before buying and it rides just like an SV should. Still I have trouble sleeping right now partly because I'm so excited to ride it, so maybe insane, yeah. Once I put some heated grips on and there's at least some dry asphalt I'll ride it but realistically that's probably in March.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Not my ride, but I helped bro check valve clearance on his SV last night. Like I've been led to believe from this thread, it wasn't difficult to do and everything was within spec. In fairness bro had already removed the fuel tank and radiator but that seemed easy too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah so my ride right now is pedal bicycles because snow/ice but they have motors so I'm posting, you're not my dad.

My fast and fun e-bike has been sitting for months since the motor (geared chinese rear hub POS) was hosed, obvious ball bearing problems that I didn't dare dig in to. It's the second motor on the bike since the first one got hosed by ball bearing failure that I neglected until it took out a hall sensor which made the computer angry. Anyways, I destroyed the old very broken motor learning how to dig in deep enough, gathered courage, dug deep in the almost-working one, got to these little fuckers and replaced with new ones for a total of :20bux: in parts. Better than 300 for a third motor, also these are quality bearings that should last a little longer maybe.

It was sketchy as all hell, hydraulic press and fire was used, pot metal rotor cage flexed and came close to breaking on disassembly but I succeeded in the end with only a slightly chipped magnet in damage. Bike rides sweet again and should tide me over until moto season with a bit of luck. The root cause is likely a lovely axle seal design by the cassette tower combined with loads of brine on the bike paths but I have a half baked plan that involve hopefully non-lovely seals and the use of a lathe that might just fix it good and proper. Now I just need to replace the loving bottom bracket before those bearings seize and gently caress up the frame (that I'm sure is a tremendously stupid design because I'm dumb and bought a loving TREK). I hate road salt.

Also slavvy was right again, presta valves suck and I hate them now. Merry Christmas.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Invalido posted:

Yeah so my ride right now is pedal bicycles because snow/ice but they have motors so I'm posting, you're not my dad.

The other e-bike that is technically a motorcycle or at least a moped according to the law has become increasingly corroded and rotten so I'm overhauling it. It's an antique steel framed SCO Long John, a Danish bakfiets style cargo bike built sometime in the 1950's to 1980's, no idea when. I've had it for most of my adult life and my kids more or less grew up in its box so it has sentimental value. It's my bike of Theseus. After this overhaul is finished there won't be any original parts or paint still on it except for the parts of the frame that are still unmodified or unrepaired.

Corrosion and broken frame. It has broken several times before. Those ugly patches are the very first MIG welds I ever did in my life with an anemic single phase flux core machine. I have better tools now though I'm still a lovely welder.
I sourced the right kind of steel tube, bent some up with the torch just before running out of oxygen on the second try. Then I cut out the lovely metal out and did the repair. Also added reinforcement so the frame breaks somewhere else next time.

I also added some hardpoints for the new cargo box/center stand contraption that's coming after paint.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I both unfarkled and enfarkled my new-to-me sv650. An absurd looking billet aluminum sidestand baseplate enlarger from the P.O. came off, heated grips went on. Unlike last time I did this I removed the throttle tube to wittle down the factory ridges and even chucked it up in the lathe for a bit using a collet and everything. Not because I had to but because I could. I tucked the cables away as neatly as I could without going so far as removing the tank. Bro helped with the electric stuff so it's fancily and non-destructively connected to a switched 12V signal through a relay. The end result is that the heat setting is remembered between rides so coupled with the thermistor control of these new grips it should pretty much be a set and forget kind of thing, hopefully much less distracting than the simpler setup I have on the learner bike which requires some attention to get the heat I want.

Weather forecast looks like poo poo for the next week but now I'm ready for dry asphalt. Can't wait to finally ride this thing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I dunno man. In my mind a farkle synonymous with any motorcycle accessory, the value of which is entirely subjective. I just love the word and I use it as often as possible. For me heated grips is a must-have, so is lockable storage of some kind. Except I don't really have to have these things, I just really want them since I think they make my bike way better for my particular use case. I'm sure others feel the same way about jewel encrusted handlebar tassles or carbon fiber exhaust enloudeners or whatever.

According to rider magazine: Farkle (n): A modification to a motorcycle that satisfies the following criteria: creates “bling,” serves a purpose (the usefulness of which is in the eyes of the farkler) and is most likely expensive. Often used among touring riders to denote or convey status amongst their peers. Ex: “I picked up a new farkle for my ST today: a GPS-based burger joint locator!” (v): To farkle; to accessorize one’s motorcycle with farkles. Ex: “Boy, John really farkled out his K1300GT; it’s even got a cup holder!”

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I mounted a top box rack on the new-to-me sv650. The rack doesn't play entirely nice with the aftermarket licence plate holder from the P.O. but it's good enough for now even though the blinkers are forced to a bit of a droop. I'll have to fix it later maybe I guess, possibly go back to stock or fabricate something or get aftermarket blinkers. Or just live with the droop, maybe it's fine. Anyways then I FINALLY RODE THE BIKE WOOHOO. It was dusty and partly damp and the tires were cold and I'm used to flogging the 300cc learner bike so I got some unplanned wheelspin at a red light after giving it too many beans but man what a nice bike, I'm super happy it's mine. This weather window should last through friday so I'll gingerly feel my way around the gravel and dust whenever I can and maybe do some ergo tweaks and look forward to spring proper which could be a month or more away :(

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I put side cases on the bike this weekend. A bit fiddly, I had revert to the stock rear fender, put the blinkers in a new place and lengthen the wires for those but now it's done. I'll definitely not use them on the daily commute since they make the bike wider but now I have them and they seem to work like they should. Now I have one less excuse not to take that camping trip to Norway this summer. Want to ride this road:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Supradog posted:

There is a lot of fun little roads in that area. You got the classics with Trollstigen and geiranger. Or new areas that got some tunnels and bridges so the old roads are actually connected to the main land now.
I haven't road tripped in Norway since I was a little kid so I have no clue whatsoever. I'm sure there are online resources available to plan an interesting route though. I'll read up on it a bit I guess.
E: my most vivid memory of that trip is being stuck in a tunnel full of rain soaked sheep that smelled a lot.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 19, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I replaced my first motorcycle chain. I watched a YouTube first. It went smoothly. Then I cleaned the bike even though it's obviously the wrong order since I didn't want to work on a wet bike. Bro's rivet tool is bullshit though. I could probably fix it with more (new) metal where it's bending but the best solution is probably to suck it up and spend the money on a decent tool and be done with it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

moxieman posted:

Yeah just buy the DID tool and never look back.

Okay, that D.I.D KM500R seems well regarded. The other candidate is Kellermann KTW 2.5 which people also seem to like. They're different designs but cost exactly the same. The kellermann has replacement press pins available and seems to have more functions but in reality I only need the tool to mushroom the pins well which I'm sure the D.I.D is capable of. Also it seems to come in a nice looking case that says "made in Japan" which is a plus in my childish mind.

I don't like spending this much money on a tool that I'll use maybe once a year tops but this seems like one of those cases where it can't be avoided.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SEKCobra posted:

I always keep my phone in my jacket so that if I ever crash, god forbid, I can call for help.

Yep, my thinking is similar.
I have a decently powerful USB charger on a relay so that it only runs when the fuel pump does. It lives under the seat right now and does nothing at all so I plan on running a cable (on order again cause the last one couldn't fast charge) to the handlebar where the sacrificial old junker phone sits for maps. It will also charge a powerbank under the seat which will then charge the jacket pocket actual phone-phone at night when I hopefully go moto-camping for well over 1000km next weekend. We'll see how it goes. Last time I had my mind set on this trip the weather was abysmal and I stayed at home.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I sold the learner bike. A dad bought it for his kid to practice for the A2 examination. They both seemed happy, and I'm glad to have the money and the garage space. It was a good thing on the whole, though I'll always remember the little Honda fondly.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just ordered a set of Angel GTs for the SV. I just came home from a long road trip on the stock tires and I have decided I really don't like them at all, also the rear is a bit squared off at this point. Hopefully the moto tire mounting place isn't super busy by the time I can get wheels and new tires to them.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I troubleshot and repaired the good battery pack for the e-bakfiets that wouldn't charge, it was a trivial fault like I hoped and not the BMS like I feared. I also ordered a better pit stand for the motorcycle. The current lovely one I have worked OK on the little honda but is disconcerting to use every single time with the heavier SV and I figure paying for a good one is probably cheaper than repairing whatever breaks on the bike after I drop it because of a lovely stand.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

No. 6 posted:

You're in NL?

No, but for some reason Americans tend to call box bikes by their Dutch name. :shrug:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I went on a long, nice sunday ride. I had to get going early for reasons, which is the best time really with open roads which is way more fun. I met some nice random strangers at the place I chose to rest halfway and we had a great time lazing in the sun, me mooching off their kickass camping setup.
Home again I did a chain lube deluxe - kerosene and compressed air was involved. I also did some logistical planning towards the effort of changing tires on the bike since the rear finally showed up. Bus rides, wardrobe changes and cargo e-bikes are likely to be involved. Also being late for work. If everything goes perfect the bike will be unrideable only when it's raining and ready for the extra long Jesus-weekend (when I'm alone with the kids and cats and probably won't get to ride the bike at all)

Lastly I downloaded a good scan of the repair manual for the 3rd gen SV650 that bro found on Reddit and kindly shared with me. Unlike the ones I've found on my own previously this one is scanned straight, the pages aren't cropped, all the pages seem to be there and you can search it. Also it isn't for the gladius. Good to have. I'll probably end up printing all 600 pages at some point because that's how I do. For now I'll limit myself to looking up whatever is relevant for a tire change like various torque specs and whatnot.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
the last time I saw the original for sale it was like €200+ and now I can't find it at all, so 5c/page seems like a really good deal all things considered. But yeah, manuals on paper is vastly preferable to digital formats when I need the information in greasy dirty settings IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Nidhg00670000 posted:

We have some new-fangled poo poo at work
:same: :smith:
a year ago with the old printer I'd just let'er rip but now with this newfangled system I'm afraid I'd get in trouble.