Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today I 12 oclocked a KTM 65 SX during a 3rd gear power wheelie. It was good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm 6'4", I can only sit 'way far back' on the bike. Wheeling that thing isnt a matter of power, it's a matter of just lifting up on the bars like a small bicycle. It's tiny. That said though, when your a full grown man on the back of the seat it'll totally wheelie on its own on the power, which is just adorable- until you crash.

Can you go into some detail on what and how you disabled the sensor? I'm liking what you are saying about smoothness, I'd like to give it a shot.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tonight I rode it. Holy crap that street fighter is an exciting motorcycle. Nothing like two weeks of driving a car to make you go WOAH

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Finally got it all back together with the new wheels. The dull overcast Seattle lighting and camera phone do not do it justice. They look spectacular.

Click here for the full 1024x577 image.

Also, no more cush drive on the rear wheel... for extra weight savings I guess. Haven't had a chance to actually ride it like this yet. Hoping it's not too much more violent because of that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

So, which one did you want to trade for the duc again? :v:

(I imagine one's zool's)

I'll trade you Zool's for the Duc, no problem.

quote:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wheels.

Dare I ask where and how much?

Well... there's no easy way to put this. They're 1k a wheel.

But... last year my brother looped it and damaged the front wheel and a few cosmetic bits. He bought me the Bi-color front to replace the damaged stock front. I then sold the stock SM wheels to Gallous which pretty much took care of the rear wheel, so I'm not actually in it that much for all that bling.

I'm so very happy to have bi-color wheels. The finish is amazing. Great flake in the orange, very very bright in the sun. They look awesome, but unlike Marchezi's they'll still hold up to abuse.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

After taking my first big trip last week, I discovered that all the jokes about thumpers shaking themselves apart aren't jokes; they're instructions.

One tube of red and one tube of purple permatex later, and I don't think my brake light assembly, the footpegs, rear subframe bolts, or kickstand aren't going to fall off anymore.

If SA had a 'like' button, the whole SM thread would approve of this post.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah yes, that is a good feeling...

*Push Starter*
'Hmm, did I put oil back in this?'

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That reads a lot like my to-do list for mine. Though my chain seems to be fine for the time being.

I have this crazy dream where I buy a black (or maybe white) chain and an orange chain and splice them together to make a bi-color chain to replace the stock one with...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

henne posted:

When did this take place?

Also Spiffness, where are you in the NW?

Yesterday. It rained all morning and midday and then about 3 PM stopped and by 4 PM it was freaking gorgeous out

I'm in the north end of western Washington

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Looking forward to SR 20 opening this year?

Mt. Erie, near Anacortes.

Sure am! A while back Zool and I headed out across 20 till we were deep in Eastern WA, then North in to Canadia and West through the mountains again. That ended up being an 850 mile day on the KTM, and one of my favorite motorcycling memories.

Mt. Erie is a spot I hit a few times a year. I love it up there. It's always been a bit of a special spot with my family.

I'm really excited for Mt. Baker highway to clear up a little bit more. Never done that one on a bike before.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You shoulda spoken up about your wants to bling out your bike. Up until a few weeks ago I had a spare StreetFighter tank lying around.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't get hit by a car that can't hear you

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Always weirds me out when I come across pictures on the WSF on forums.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Your wheels need at least one more tone.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Aww, I miss the fat piggy drz :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saves you the trouble of doing it yourself!

Plus you'll be less angry now when you come back out to it after leaving it unattended and all the plastics have been stripped off of it and there is a screw driver where your key used to be.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Move the gently caress out of your parent's house.

My god drat dad keeps scratching my 911 when he pulls his VW Rabbit out of the garage, it's totally bumming me out man. I slammed the curtain to my room, I was so angry.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I hope that trailer is rated enough for the weight of those two motorcycles :ohdear:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Took the ruined aluminum sprockets off my 250 dirt bike and replaced them with nice new steel ones & an o-ring chain.

I'd never done any of that before, chain or sprocket replacement. Wasn't too bad, once you get the tools in place and know the order of operations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

two tone wheels is simply the best visual upgrade to any supermoto or dirt bike

sport bikes get rim tape and look drat good in it

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did my first complete All-By-Myself valve check, and completed it today. So satisfying when that engine fired back up. So scary making sure you have the timing right with you put the cams back in.

New tires, new oil, valves in spec, cleaned air filter, I do say I'm ready for the race at the end of the month. Ye-haw.

Now I just need to do the same thing for the track bike...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Got my track bike all ready for its first event this year, coming up in two weeks. Woken up from its winter slumber.

Hell yeahs...

Also wired up two microphones that will run into my gropros, safe from wind noise and enclosed in custom padding to further defeat wind-roar, one by the intake and one by the exhaust.

So ready for this!

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 11, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A month ago I bought a $5 mic off Amazon to wire into my dirt bike helmet, they work great and at full speed on my dirt bike they don't produce any wind noise.

These are them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N0W2B6/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I plan to do a running test next week to make sure they sound good on the track bike, but I'm expecting good results.

So total cost was $10 for the two mics and the foam I used was from some electronic shipping case scrap that was laying around work.

Hoping to defeat that dulled sound that comes from the sealed GoPro enclosure.

The only modification I had to do to the GoPro case was drilling a small hole in the side for the 3.5mm jack to poke out of.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What did I do to my bike today?
I bought it.
1975 CB125 :hellyeah:
This thing is loving cute.
I'll try to snap some pictures tonight.

I have a 74 125S

I'd challenge you to a race, but I'd clearly win :smug:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

gently caress I missed something, what happened?

Buy that sucker back and part it out!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oh gently caress that's right. Now I'm sad all over again. I bet you could make a bit of scratch parting that. Lots of people would want the wheels & suspension for a SM conversion, the engine is a bit of a rarity, not a lot of parts out there for those bikes yet. It's a sellers market for that I think, if the insurance company would give you a decent price.

Though I have no idea what buyback prices are like. Too drat bad, those are some pretty wheels too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Love it! Make them a bitch to get off though, so not a good candidate for the track bike or I'd be all over that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Still no two tone wheels. You ain't blingin' son

(really like your bike)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Stripped one of the sets of wheels of all paint in preparation for some ridiculous track colors. Sort of falling in love with the bare aluminum look though.

2013 track bike painting begins now...

Also received my Ohlins. Yummy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Been painting my new track bike...

Sneak preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpd0iv7t7J4

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Shouting Melon posted:

Still trying to figure out how I can wear the edges in a bit more without having to do something stupid like going knee-down on public roads.

They're called Track Days and they are the beset.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My track bike has been buried in the garage on stands for the last few months while I did some painting and wait for the suspension to come back from the tuners, but tonight I dug it out and continued some work.

Finally reaching that point where I get to mount all the goodies. I scored a full TI exhaust system for $300 which I mounted tonight. I'd never mounted headers on an I4 before and it was kind of a pain in the rear end but the system looks great. Also did fluids, relocated the master-on switch (no key) to a better place, put both sets of wheels back together, mounted up the brembo MC & calipers.

Getting down to the final stretch... ohlins & emulators back from the shop, mount the plastics for the final time, toss some stomp pads over the fresh paint, slap it on the dyno to hone the tune and then its off to the first track day of the year.

2007 GSXR 600 - acquired for $1500 + SV GSXR front end
2011 WMRRA podium bike, partially parted and sold to the owner I bought it from, where it sat all 2012 till I picked it up in October.
Goodies it came with:
- Good motor with a recent refresh & light top end work
- Obsessively clean safety wire and track prep job, key delete
- Full Yoshimura racing harness & ECU w/ Quickshifter, multiple maps & 'pit speed limiter'
- Quick change axle dealies
- New chain, box of sprockets
- Absolutely ruined plastics
I've since added:
- Full TI exhaust
- Shorai lightweight battery
- Fork cartriges from local race shop
- Ohlins TTX rear shock, re-spring and service
- Ohlins damper (would prefer a scotts but got the ohlins cheap, stock damper was rebuilt to be way stiff, didn't care for it)
- Spare wheels
- Brembo MC from my SV track bike
- R6 monoblocks & EBC HH pads (love these)
- New plastics & full custom paint job, DIY w/ paint gun- went all out, lots of effort, happy with the result. Learned a lot.

I'll be taking that and the KTM 450 in Supermoto trim to the track every event this year. Absolutely cannot wait to get started, and to finally have a little bit of horse power after having to earn every pass tooth and nail on the SV... aww yeah.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 1, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Did you tell Barry to finish my forks?

He's got a week before I go and get my stuff...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Today I finished building my track bike. Season opener on Monday. Woo!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Pics, nao.

Forgive the camera phone garage shots. I'll get some nicer pictures track side but its a dark cloudy day outside today and there is more than one disassembled motorcycle between it and being outside in the light of day.

(click for big)

Which is unfortunate because I did the paint myself and it turned out quite nice. Lots of metal flake in the clear makes it look like a starry night up close. Pretty sweet. Learned a lot doing the painting myself. Would totally do again, though I'd go even more retarded with the flake. Flake is awesome.

I also learned that the track plastics I got don't fit very well, which is too bad. Though that problem will resolve itself over time, because eventually a crash will let me try again with both the paint and nicer plastics.

Its a 2007 GSXR600 with a hybrid of 07, 08 and 09 bits. Custom fork caps & internals, Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins damper, Yoshimura EM PRO ECU, Power Commander, Yoshimura racing wiring harness, TI Full exhaust, R6 Brakes, steel lines & a Brembo MC, no title, unknown miles on chassis, probably 5k on engine, no key track special. My tuner says he last saw this bike when it was a podium bike in 2010, the spring of it received some head & valve work and a rebuild. Then the story goes it was retired at the end of 2010, sat for two years with its new owners to when I picked it up last fall for some front end parts for a GSXR and $1500. I've spent all winter browsing WERA and Ebay spending too much money uprading, modifying and collecting spare everythings and now I've got the finished product, which will be my main track slut for the next two, three years.

Might race it next year in Novice 600 if I really bond with it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Live the painful dream yourself for only $2500

http://www.wmrra.com/forums/showthread.php?16384-Honda-RS125-for-sale

Zool got a crazy good deal, but the thing is a bitch to keep running. Worth it though, when it gets on song its hilariously quick. Have a source for pistons now (probably) at least.

There was one at Pacific Raceways yesterday that had a CRF450 motor shoved in it. Freaking amazing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have one up in North Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My StreetFighter (1098 engine) would always sound like it wasn't going to be able to pull of getting that engine rotated cold. Doesn't surprise me at all that big twins would have auto-decompress with electric start.