Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I got tired of looking at the crap hanging off the back of my Buell, so I did something about it.

I installed a integrated turn signal/stop lamp assembly today. The LED's are purty.

Took off the stock blinkers and plate bracket.

I fabbed up an aluminum bracket real fast from some scrap I had laying around.

I took off the passenger pegs too. My g/f has her own bike (Triumph Daytona 600) so she doesn't ride two up with me any more.
I kind of wanted to see what it looked like without them. I like it this way.

I also put on some 1 inch drop pegs because I am six feet tall and Buell's are made for short fuckers. I think Erik sized the bikes for him and him only. Any shorter than 5'6" and you might have problems touching the ground flat foot. Any taller than 5'8" and it's not comfortable at all.

I still put on 150-200 miles about every time I ride if I make it past the six miles of twisties 1/4 of a mile from my house. :D

Other than a jardine can, and breather re-route it's pretty stock and usually covered in bugs. I'd rather spend time riding than cleaning. Guess that's why I will never own a Harley or anything with a ton of chrome. I did out grip pads and frame pucks on it.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I always have liked the shaved look better.

I'm trying to find some front turn signals that I like. The g/f has some really cool flush mounts on hers, but they were there when she got the bike, so I have no clue where they came from.

This winter on my to do list:
1. Pull all the plastic off the Daytona and repair as needed.
2. Find daytona oil leak and fix, might as well change the oil too.
3. Daytona, new chain.
4. Drag my old man's Honda ST1100 out and start freshening it up a bit. Maybe so the woman and I can ride two up on it and do some toruing. Pop won't ride any more.
5. While I have the ST in the shop, I will probably do some plastic repair on it too.

Thinking about all this reminds me that I really really need to get to town and get some more sta-bil.

I also need to GTFO of the house and get some wok done so maybe I can go ride today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Endless Mike posted:

drat, really? I was going to look into them next year.

Not exactly, I may have exaggerated a little bit.

The stock pegs are fine, I put almost 4,000 miles on the bike since the first of June with them on.

$40.64 off of ebay, I wanted to try the lowered pegs, and I like them more.

Unless you're planning on tracking or doing a lot of canyon carving/mountain riding, get a lightning over a firebolt.

Lightnings have a more comfy seat and higher bars. Not that the bars on a firebolt are stupid low or anything like that.

My g/f is 5'4.99999" and she can't quite flat foot, granted the suspension is set up for my weight, not hers. She also says that it's a little wide in between the thighs. Her triumph feels wider to me, so w/e.

If you've got any questions or need a reason to buy a Buell over something else, just ask. I won't bullshit you. Buells are great if you like torque and turning. If you want something comfy that you can toll around on all day....might look for something else.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Storm, I got the light with integrated turn signals off ebay, and the plate bracket I built myself.

The comfort thing is fairly subjective I guess. I have narrow hips/waist so it's not so comfy for me. I can put more miles on the Triumph on a given day than the Buell.

The difference in the bars is a little strange too, I actually like the Buell's better for the turns, cruising, not so much.

I'd go the bar end route, but I'd rather keep my throttle meisters.

Work today....I did a tail/fender chop on the Triumph. Just used a hacksaw blade, chamfer tool, file and a razor. It looks pretty good. Thought I had a picture of it, but i don't. And I'll be hosed if i'm going to walk out to the shop when it's 33 degrees outside to take one. Maybe tomorrow.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Installed cooler looking aftermarket LED front turn signals on my Buell, poked around for the turn signal relay for about 30 minutes to install a lower power relay so my lights wouldn't flash so fast, gave up and tested them anyway.
Blink rate is fine. I have a resistor pack in wired in with the rear turns, and I can't tell much of a difference between the blink rate with the stock fronts and the new fronts. :iiam:

Then I pulled the air box off and cleaned the filter, and drained the oil in catch can. Silly Harley based motors and their appetite for oil and needing to blow a poo poo load of it out the breathers.

I stripped all the fairings off my trummy so I could pull the upper triple off and get at the bottom side of the key cylinder.

Pulling that upper triple was an adventure, and so was digging around and finding the right wiring plug. Drilling the security bolts out that triumph uses was pretty dead easy. It took me longer to figure out how to clamp the bloody thing in a vise than it did to do the drilling.

Tomorrow is supposed to be back in the 70's for a few hours and I want to ride it instead of my Buell. Hopefully I will get my fat rear end out of bed early enough to put it back together, plug the busted key cylinder in and go ride.

I have a disc lock for it, and I would hide the cylinder back up under a bunch of crap. Might even splice in a hidden ignition cut out switch for a little extra security.

Sigh I need to go set an alarm.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
My rear stand and front head lift stand finally showed up today.

So I threw my Buell in the air and pulled the tires off. Taking them into town in the morning to get some Dunlop Q2's put on.

I really want to get back to riding it instead of the Triumph.