Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

The General posted:

There isn't much wrong with it, and the author did a great job of not being creepy about it to. It's actually kind of informative, but why put that much thought into changlings and how they view gender?

Actually, the root of that post is in Races of Eberron with stuff about how they apparently change reproductive organs (complete with determining the species of the baby) and have different ways of viewing their abilities. Gender preferences and sexuality are about the only things that the author has expanded on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I gotta agree with the general here, that it's really loving creepy. Just imagine a bunch of over weight dudes in wolf shirts talking about this poo poo "over many nights" of whatever fast food they consider to be dinner.

Anyone got that chart that shows the correlation between how ugly someone is and how open they are sexually?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Joudas posted:

I gotta agree with the general here, that it's really loving creepy. Just imagine a bunch of over weight dudes in wolf shirts talking about this poo poo "over many nights" of whatever fast food they consider to be dinner.

The General said the opposite of what you thought he said.

Incidentally, I don't think it was particularly creepy either, just kind of grognardy, in the sense of "why would you ever spend so much time on this."

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
Well that's kind of a relief, I thought he had begun to make sense to me.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

BEHOLD

GROGNARD IN STEREO

PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp6EbvJ0ssM

PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAaL7W6SSw&feature=related

Joe Anglican
Mar 24, 2005

I've got a megaphone I've been saving for a special occasion.

I am in physical pain watching this rear end in a top hat.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

I had to stop when he shot me with a laser pointer, that was pretty rude.

Also what the gently caress.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
THE HELL YOU SAY!

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

This guy has mastered the art of suggesting he's about to say something damning and then rambling on about nothing.

"This is supposed to be Dungeon and Dragons?! Let's take a look at the races. There are humans! And elves, two kinds! Two kinds?! That's in keeping with D&D's Tolkien roots. And dwarves! So that's about what you'd expect. But they've added tieflings, and oh man -- they're okay. I guess the good version of them is coming later. Oh, but then you get to dragonoids, and get this -- they've appeared in other games too. I've never really liked the concept."

Devastating!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I will agree that sometimes, a player will do something in a game that reveals something about them. If a player randomly kills a person, it doesn't mean they're a psychopath, but it might mean they're inclined to think that killing someone isn't as bad as others think it is. However, sometimes, a player is either playing the role of their character, or just having fun.

My girlfriend is our group's DM. She knows how to plan out exciting, intricate adventures, and everyone really likes how she handles NPC interactions. However, if there's anything that we all can complain about is that does put a lot of the story focus on my character. There's a lot of times in which it seems like she just wants to spend a good solid chunk of time taking a psychological profile of me.

Well, I'm not very bright. I know that when someone pushes you, it's usually best to be pushed, but my natural sense of rebellion always kicks in. Her DMPC has a habit of flirting with my character, and she herself told me that she'd really like us to be an "in-game" couple. But I keep rejecting the advances, I think mostly because I don't want to alienate the rest of the group. I told her that she really needs to pay more attention to everyone else, since it really isn't fair.

She agreed, and she really began to rotate the spotlight. I thought that her biggest problem was settled, and that we'd go into a golden age of gaming. And it was pretty great.

In one adventure, we found a female shadow wizard polymorphed into a frog. After performing some fairy tail like tasks, she turned back into a human, and promised us each a reward. So she dishes out some magical items from an extra-dimensional space, and finally when it comes to my turn, she says she's run out of items.

*DANGER SENSE*

With absolutely no subtlety, she attempts to seduce me. Not flirt, seduce. Now, I love my girlfriend, sometimes more than I think I should, but I shared the same scared expression that the rest of the players had. I knew that if I suddenly and spontaneously went crazy and decided to go ahead and take the offer, there was a slim chance that the next part of the adventure could get very, very awkward. Also, I'm pretty sure that we all (including her) just expected my supposedly ultra-chaste character to reject the proposal and it would simply be remembered as a silly point in the plot.

So, I went ahead and agreed to the offer.

Things got very, very awkward. She just looked at me like I had shot her. The rest of the group just went silent, as she, carefully choosing each word, described how the wizard cast a variation of rope trick, we both ascended, and after some time, we both came back down.

The game ended soon after that, and without fully understanding why, I'm sure everyone noticed that she was angry. As soon as everyone else left, she thought it would be a good time to explain exactly why she was angry.

Apparently, I had "cheated" on her.

A thousand bulbs flashed and shattered in my brain, and I sat silent, unable to object, as she began to explain how I had been unfaithful in spirit to her, and that she didn't know if she could trust me anymore. I couldn't object because I was scared shitless. I have a pattern of somehow saying exactly the right thing to make the situation worse, and as I ran them through my head the options of apologizing, arguing, denying, or even just ignoring this seemed to somehow be able to be twisted into proving that I'm some sort of adulterous man-slut. So, my brilliant idea was to get angry and call her stupid.

After a few days we managed to patch things up, and truthfully, I almost forgot about the whole incident. Everything seemed to be running smoothly in my life, and in hindsight, I guess that's usually a sign that the troubling parts are just brewing underneath the surface.

I'm working at a bookstore. It's no Barnes or Borders, more of a gift book shop than anything else, and usually I end up working the register. One day, a pretty young woman came in and asked if we had any copies of Alice in Wonderland. We had all sorts of editions, so I ended up asking her about this and that and what kind she wanted, and, in hindsight, she seemed almost too eager to start up a conversation.

She came back two days later, and asked me out for a cup of coffee. That strange invitation just made things click together in my head. Nope, I don't think my girlfriend would like that. Oh, just as thanks for helping you pick the right edition? Nope, I don't think my girlfriend would like that. In testament to her endurance, she continued stubbornly, too stubbornly, for well over an hour, until it got to the point in which I just asked her if my girlfriend had asked her to do this. She feigned for a few seconds, and then just admitted it. She then introduced herself as her cousin, and she apologized for trying to "trick" me.

I told her I'd accept her apology on one condition.

The next day, our scheduled game night, my girlfriend gets a call before we start, and hurries into the next room. We hear shouts coming from there, and five minutes later, she comes back crying screaming,"HOW COULD YOU?!? How could you?! HOW COULD YOU?!?"

Everyone at the table looks at me like I killed someone, and though I'm pretty sure they knew it would be best if they left, that sick sense of curiosity kept them glued to their seats. She then accused me of seducing her cousin. She started calling me every curse she could think of, then finally just started making animal sounds.

I began to feel really guilty really quickly, so I pulled out my cellphone, dialed up her cousin, put her on speaker phone, and had her explain that it was just a lie. That I had asked her to tell her that just so I could get even for her trying to trick me.

I had hoped that the rest of the group would support me and just make this into a "Ha ha! Got you!" moment, but having my girlfriend crying shamelessly seemed to suddenly turn me into the villain.

After some apologizing, we managed to get the game going, it had a melancholy tint to it. Overall, I think I'm going to have to learn when a good idea is a bad idea, and when a bad idea is really just a bad idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't care if someone doesn't like the mechanics of 4e, but I really don't get the "this isn't D&D!" complaint.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

h_double posted:

There is not one thing about that clusterfuck of a story I don't absolutely adore.

Truly, the love of two socially retarded grognards is a precious and beautiful thing :swoon:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ashenai posted:

There is not one thing about that clusterfuck of a story I don't absolutely adore.

Truly, the love of two socially retarded grognards is a precious and beautiful thing :swoon:

That story was beautiful :allears:

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

h_double posted:

I will agree that sometimes, a player will do something in a game that reveals something about them. If a player randomly kills a person, it doesn't mean they're a psychopath, but it might mean they're inclined to think that killing someone isn't as bad as others think it is. However, sometimes, a player is either playing the role of their character, or just having fun.

My girlfriend is our group's DM. She knows how to plan out exciting, intricate adventures, and everyone really likes how she handles NPC interactions. However, if there's anything that we all can complain about is that does put a lot of the story focus on my character. There's a lot of times in which it seems like she just wants to spend a good solid chunk of time taking a psychological profile of me.

Well, I'm not very bright. I know that when someone pushes you, it's usually best to be pushed, but my natural sense of rebellion always kicks in. Her DMPC has a habit of flirting with my character, and she herself told me that she'd really like us to be an "in-game" couple. But I keep rejecting the advances, I think mostly because I don't want to alienate the rest of the group. I told her that she really needs to pay more attention to everyone else, since it really isn't fair.

She agreed, and she really began to rotate the spotlight. I thought that her biggest problem was settled, and that we'd go into a golden age of gaming. And it was pretty great.

In one adventure, we found a female shadow wizard polymorphed into a frog. After performing some fairy tail like tasks, she turned back into a human, and promised us each a reward. So she dishes out some magical items from an extra-dimensional space, and finally when it comes to my turn, she says she's run out of items.

*DANGER SENSE*

With absolutely no subtlety, she attempts to seduce me. Not flirt, seduce. Now, I love my girlfriend, sometimes more than I think I should, but I shared the same scared expression that the rest of the players had. I knew that if I suddenly and spontaneously went crazy and decided to go ahead and take the offer, there was a slim chance that the next part of the adventure could get very, very awkward. Also, I'm pretty sure that we all (including her) just expected my supposedly ultra-chaste character to reject the proposal and it would simply be remembered as a silly point in the plot.

So, I went ahead and agreed to the offer.

Things got very, very awkward. She just looked at me like I had shot her. The rest of the group just went silent, as she, carefully choosing each word, described how the wizard cast a variation of rope trick, we both ascended, and after some time, we both came back down.

The game ended soon after that, and without fully understanding why, I'm sure everyone noticed that she was angry. As soon as everyone else left, she thought it would be a good time to explain exactly why she was angry.

Apparently, I had "cheated" on her.

A thousand bulbs flashed and shattered in my brain, and I sat silent, unable to object, as she began to explain how I had been unfaithful in spirit to her, and that she didn't know if she could trust me anymore. I couldn't object because I was scared shitless. I have a pattern of somehow saying exactly the right thing to make the situation worse, and as I ran them through my head the options of apologizing, arguing, denying, or even just ignoring this seemed to somehow be able to be twisted into proving that I'm some sort of adulterous man-slut. So, my brilliant idea was to get angry and call her stupid.

After a few days we managed to patch things up, and truthfully, I almost forgot about the whole incident. Everything seemed to be running smoothly in my life, and in hindsight, I guess that's usually a sign that the troubling parts are just brewing underneath the surface.

I'm working at a bookstore. It's no Barnes or Borders, more of a gift book shop than anything else, and usually I end up working the register. One day, a pretty young woman came in and asked if we had any copies of Alice in Wonderland. We had all sorts of editions, so I ended up asking her about this and that and what kind she wanted, and, in hindsight, she seemed almost too eager to start up a conversation.

She came back two days later, and asked me out for a cup of coffee. That strange invitation just made things click together in my head. Nope, I don't think my girlfriend would like that. Oh, just as thanks for helping you pick the right edition? Nope, I don't think my girlfriend would like that. In testament to her endurance, she continued stubbornly, too stubbornly, for well over an hour, until it got to the point in which I just asked her if my girlfriend had asked her to do this. She feigned for a few seconds, and then just admitted it. She then introduced herself as her cousin, and she apologized for trying to "trick" me.

I told her I'd accept her apology on one condition.

The next day, our scheduled game night, my girlfriend gets a call before we start, and hurries into the next room. We hear shouts coming from there, and five minutes later, she comes back crying screaming,"HOW COULD YOU?!? How could you?! HOW COULD YOU?!?"

Everyone at the table looks at me like I killed someone, and though I'm pretty sure they knew it would be best if they left, that sick sense of curiosity kept them glued to their seats. She then accused me of seducing her cousin. She started calling me every curse she could think of, then finally just started making animal sounds.

I began to feel really guilty really quickly, so I pulled out my cellphone, dialed up her cousin, put her on speaker phone, and had her explain that it was just a lie. That I had asked her to tell her that just so I could get even for her trying to trick me.

I had hoped that the rest of the group would support me and just make this into a "Ha ha! Got you!" moment, but having my girlfriend crying shamelessly seemed to suddenly turn me into the villain.

After some apologizing, we managed to get the game going, it had a melancholy tint to it. Overall, I think I'm going to have to learn when a good idea is a bad idea, and when a bad idea is really just a bad idea.

Hey two horrible people in a relationship, cool.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I really don't care if someone doesn't like the mechanics of 4e, but I really don't get the "this isn't D&D!" complaint.

I don't get his "It actively stops roleplaying and is an MMO" comment either, never have.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General posted:

That story was beautiful :allears:

Edit:

quote:

The same way that the X-TREME NINJA TURTLES cartoon they put out awhile back wasn't the Ninja Turtles. They changed it, made it into something it's not and then tried to tell me it was what I had always loved and adored.

While D&D3 and 4 seem to be good systems (not my opinion, but majority rules), it's not the AD&D I grew up with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fenarisk posted:

I don't get his "It actively stops roleplaying and is an MMO" comment either, never have.

I "get" that, in that I understand it (and disagree), but I don't get why people are hung up on the next version of a game being different than the previous version. It's like people complaining that SMB3 is too different from SMB.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gently caress you The General!!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Countblanc posted:

gently caress you The General!!

You're just mad that I'm starting to make sense. :smug:

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Countblanc posted:

But now we have Warlocks... and Wizards. (sounds like its own game, doesn't it?) Warlocks and Wizards, Warlocks deriving their power from another source than Wizards do, which brings me to one of the key features that makes fourth edition different: the different classes draw their "powers", if you will, their "shticks", their... um, "class abilities" from different sources. For example, there's Arcane, which powers the Warlocks and the Wizards...

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
In a thread someone mentions that rape in a game is a dealkiller for him, he won't stand for it. And he gets this reply:

quote:

I used to think that, after having my Tefling raped by a demon. But then being my PC got UMI'd in Exalted and it stretched the boundary of rape in a very cool way...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think he means that he loved the detailed descriptions (and the rules to back em up) of tenticle rape.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
UMI'd? Do I even want to know?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Etherwind posted:

Unnaturally Monster Invaded?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

opaopa13 posted:

This guy has mastered the art of suggesting he's about to say something damning and then rambling on about nothing.

"This is supposed to be Dungeon and Dragons?! Let's take a look at the races. There are humans! And elves, two kinds! Two kinds?! That's in keeping with D&D's Tolkien roots. And dwarves! So that's about what you'd expect. But they've added tieflings, and oh man -- they're okay. I guess the good version of them is coming later. Oh, but then you get to dragonoids, and get this -- they've appeared in other games too. I've never really liked the concept."

Devastating!

Everyone really needs to watch these. He's the perfect grognard, waffling on about nothing at all then wham 4E IS A COMPUTER GAME

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Drox posted:

Everyone really needs to watch these. He's the perfect grognard, waffling on about nothing at all then wham 4E IS A COMPUTER GAME

And I was expecting such great things from him too, after his badass steely-eyed stare into the camera at the beginning.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
"I go way back with dungeons and dragons"

Ah the classic line to justify anything you say about 4e no matter how retarded.

Edit: yikes. I'll never get the paranoia with being told what to do. The bit where he drones on about the tiers is bizzare. Grognards complain about how 4e fails to cover certain scenerios but then bitches about this? The book merely suggests a certain type of adventure at those levels you're not required...

Why does he keep using "The 8,000 Pound Gorilla sitting in the corner of the room"? Does he think he's clever for combining 2 phrases?

The skill challenges bit is good. "The game is MAKING me use these!"

He calls the game overcomplicated too? What the gently caress?

Edit: And a Pathfinder plug to finish it off? Perfect.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 15, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I wrote him off immediately right at "laser screwdriver".

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Etherwind posted:

Unnatural Mental Influence. Exalted "social combat" rules are strange, and are part of the reason I laugh at people who complain that 4e has no rules for roleplaying. Every system I have seen try to put mechanics behind roleplaying does it awkwardly at best, except for 7th Seas.

Also, dude shoulda spent willpower on that poo poo. He obviously wanted the rape.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

"I go way back with dungeons and dragons"

Ah the classic line to justify anything you say about 4e no matter how retarded.

Edit: yikes. I'll never get the paranoia with being told what to do. The bit where he drones on about the tiers is bizzare. Grognards complain about how 4e fails to cover certain scenerios but then bitches about this? The book merely suggests a certain type of adventure at those levels you're not required...

Why does he keep using "The 8,000 Pound Gorilla sitting in the corner of the room"? Does he think he's clever for combining 2 phrases?

The skill challenges bit is good. "The game is MAKING me use these!"

He calls the game overcomplicated too? What the gently caress?

The only especially good bit was when he said that 4E wasn't suited for people who get together every other week with beer and pretzels to casually role play. It's the single best D&D edition for that purpose. There is no better D&D for a casual group

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

RagnarokAngel posted:

I had two thoughts watching the videos:

I could almost take him seriously until 'This is a Massively Multiplayer Roleplaying Game, as in online, in pen and paper form.'

And my final thought was simple: 'God drat, this is the longest Pathfinder plug I've ever heard or read. . .'

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat

BAWRLIN posted:

Every system I have seen try to put mechanics behind roleplaying does it awkwardly at best, except for 7th Seas.

Counterpoint: Legend of the Five Rings 3rd Edition.

plarp
Apr 12, 2006
The complaint that classes excel at different things is mind-boggling. When have fighters not been pigeonholed into hitting things, or rogues into sneaking around backstabbing people?

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat
You excel at riding a BMX, I excel at summoning a horde of angels to do my bidding: it's all the same, really.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
This pax veritas dude is grognardy as poo poo

Miphon wrote:

...a great many respectful and well worded things.

Miphon, I respectfully agree to disagree. I've taught in some high schools over the years, and I've read some books on generational history... (this in no way makes me any kind of expert), and in my humble opinion, great literary foundations simply ARE the great literary foundations of the game. Period.

And, if the newest generation, or a future generation somehow deems this "too much work" to be worth doing, or if they require (or need) a dummy-down version of fantasy role-play, then they will grow to forge a dummy-down verion of society as its leaders.

There was never anything "easy" or "mainstream" about being the kind of odd-bird who played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons back then, and it is no different now. A corporation (the wotci via Hasbro) has taken over what was was once "a product of your imagination" and has attempted to make it so "accessible" as to craft a product of "computer-colored Todd McFarlane hackwork that you see in the current version of the game and elsewhere."

It is also not my goal to make this post sound argumentative, however, we hold a fundamental disagreement about what should be, versus should NOT be, compromised for a new generation. Sure its a fact of life that generations pass, and new members must carry on torches of any institution, however, imo, it is the failure of our generation to have taught, instructed, passed-on, this wondrous game to the newest generation, that has caused such a reaction by the most vocal 20% as to "highjack" the game it self. I see no need to buy-in to a very loud 20%, including those in marketing who tend to make deci$ions based on profits, moreso than tradition, hisotory, or integrity.

Let me conclude by saying I'm trying to also add another perspective to the points you've just made rather than dispute them. And I apologise if any of the previous seems overly argumentative, as that is not my intent. The washing out of the Forgotten Realms, and the thinning out of alignments, and the diluting of what was once a challenging and mind-expanding product of the imagination is now little more than just a product, with some cards to use as replacements for imagination. It is this devolution that despite its easy charms, feels like a loss, a compromise, and a mistake. I don't generally buy the fear-mongering company line, that 4e must somehow exist to safe the gaming industry to reach the next generation.

The irony, in my opinion, is washing out the features of Gary and Dave's game, and telling the public they were "flaws" will ultimately be the hand that does the most damage.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Etherwind posted:

Counterpoint: Legend of the Five Rings 3rd Edition.

Conceded. Same company, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wonder if some of these guys ever realize that original Dungeons and Dragons had some very very very bad problems. It doesn't make it any less revolutionary or super-important or disrespected. It just means it's the very first role-playing game and it could have been done better. Maybe, just maybe, 30+ years of industry movement have taught us something.

I say this as someone who thought it would be fun to participate in a 2nd edition campaign and was shocked at how terrible it was.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
Soiled Meat

BAWRLIN posted:

Conceded. Same company, though.

Basically John Wick is really good at what he does.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Maybe, just maybe, 30+ years of industry movement have taught us something.

Entitlement :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Etherwind posted:

Basically John Wick is really good at what he does.

Yea despite him being kinda grognard over 4th ed Wick owns rear end.