Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Mikan posted:

You know when you guys pretend to be creepy eventually it comes full circle and you look just as creepy as the dudes we're making fun of.

Sounds like someone failed their STD check. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ashenai posted:

this thread is meta as gently caress

I can't tell where the grognards end and the goons begin.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

LGD posted:

Well there IS a Survivor PRC that has pretty good abilities related to not dying and is only open to either commoners or non-PC classes (I forget which). Plus he can take UMD as a class skill so he's not TOTALLY useless. As long as he takes a PC class after level 1 (and they level quickly) it might not be so bad for the rest of the party.

But yeah it's basically just dumb.

Obviously the only real non-PC class to take is Expert.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The General posted:

Holy poo poo, is all that true?

For powers, yes.

For rituals, no. You can get magic flying horses starting with a level 6 ritual, if you're lucky and have good Arcana, otherwise you just get regular horses.

I think there's a 10ish invisibility one as well.

That's where the 4e difference is. Stuff like that got moved to non-combat situations. You can spend 10 minutes and make 6 magic flying horses for 12 hours. Or you can fly for 1 round once an encounter, if you're the proper class and take the right power.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Etherwind posted:

That, on the other hand, is grade A, purestrain grognard.

So can we close this thing up and all go home?

Because I didn't think anyone would be able to top the racial politics drow discussion, and that one post basically destroyed it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Am I allowed to agree with the oatmeal rant if I think it's a good thing?

4e really doesn't do anything that special, he's right. But the combat is streamlined and polished and balanced. It's easy to create encounter, relatively easy to DM, but doesn't have much in the way of new stuff. And all of the out of combat stuff is either kind of broken or vague.

Which in the hands of a decent DM is great. They can do whatever they want with out of combat stuff, they can reskin monsters very easily, and customize fights. And when it comes to the actual fighting, it's (mostly) all laid out right there.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

In response to some poo poo over the last few pages:

Eberron Drow can be taken a few ways, but basically they're just kinda hanging out in their ancestral land after being slaves for a while, and jackasses like you are coming in trying to steal their poo poo and kill them.

Most of the ones you encounter are fairly primative, but quite a few have figured out how to use their artifacts, and are scary advanced. They're pictured as savage and brutal, but never stupid. They also spend more time fighting giants then dwarves do. And you should feel very bad for doing ANYTHING on their continent. Racist.

As for 4e difficulty, once players hit Paragon, if they are in a well built party they can take on encounters that are +3 levels to them with burning a few healing surges, but no real danger. +4 to +4.5 encounter will be tough, ending the fight with no more healing abilities.

A +5 encounter Red Hand Of Doom's final fight during the siege we survived, with a few potions, down to only at will abilities, and a passed out rogue and barbarian.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Drox posted:

But... D&D isn't an MMO? Wait a second...

Lies!

Burn the unbeliever!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The General posted:

I ignore any post that starts with "this isn't a rant, but I grew up on 3.5" shitdick probably knows sweet poo poo all about anything of the roleplaying world. Growing up with 3.5 makes you what? 17?

Oh, and clearly the only way to play Chess is Nightmare Chess.

I think you mean Battle Chess. :colbert:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

B... but... your saving throws and BAB improved linearly based on your class no matter what class you were and what other abilities you had so it was basically impossible to make a 20th level character in 3E who was "pathetic in combat" relative to regular people or a 10th level Barbarian or an orcish horde or whatever.

Keep your drat dirty "logic" out of this thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go make a 20th level wizard with 3 str and con, and find a way to get his int under 10, probably with a 3rd party flaws system. So I can roleplay a wizard with downs syndrome.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Tide of Iron. Called shot: shield into face. Bonk.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

My gaming group is relatively sane, clean, and laid back.

We had a new guy one week. Hung out with him a little bit, seemed okay. Little opinionated, but whatever.

Showed up, asked the DM for like 4 smallish favors from the DM in character creation, which ended up stacking for him to make a 3rd level pally with +15 damage or something ridiculous.

Little silly, but whatever.

Then he pulled out of his backpack a three page, hand written "guild charter" with all sorts of bizarrely worded rules that I'm sure were intended to work in his favor. Then he asked us to sign it.

Yeah, he didn't come back.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It was like an adventuring group guild of the whatever charter, for the character.

Barely readable chicken scratch on looseleaf. He didn't even take off all the little dangly bits.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

Word of Warcraft the RPG in Warhammer costume

But if WoW was originally a Warhammer clone... and this is ripping off WoW and putting on a Warhammer costume... :tinfoil:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

ZorbaTHut posted:

All magic store owners are members of a private secret society. They know a ritual known to no others: "transmute gold to awesome equipment".

They also know the Ritual of the Impenetrable Gold Drop Box for their profits.

Congratulations, you just killed a dude who has absolutely nothing of value on him.

Did he say anything factually correct in there? (Besides the wargame comment, which I actually agree with, though I consider it to be a plus and not a minus.)

Mechanically, my players will magically find a level (their level +2) commoner, who has a unique background (Enchanter) only the Commoner class has access to, which grants them all of the item creation rituals. If they decide to rob him, it turns out that he owes a bunch of money to the local mob, and your purchase was going to cover his gambling debt. Now they want their money.

Not that it matters because my party has a ritual caster who can handle most stuff.

Not that that matters because my group isn't full of complete grognard twats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Mexicans are kobolds, duh.