Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

let me clarify this statement with a five page essay titled 'nigorcs, racial relations and orcs in the world of fantasy'

Please allow me to help you by giving you my pen, as you appear to have accidentally loaded yours with bullshit instead of ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

I haven't comformed to your lovely rule sets :colbert:

Your favorite rule set is terrible.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

FirstCongoWar posted:

My general philosophy is that the only balance that really matters in D&D is the interclass balance between the various PCs in a group. If the group as a whole is very powerful and flexible, the DM can simply up the challenge level and complexity of the encounters. If it's weak and inflexible, the DM can lower the challenge level and complexity.

Unironically agreeing with huge chunks of this post. I did pretty much the same thing, without the lengthy posts, in my own games before 4e came out, and it works drat well.

Then 4e came out and we all switched to playing that when we're not playing another system entirely, and everybody has a lot more fun.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

What is actually broken about Truenamer? All I know is the fluff was cool, I never read what the class actually does.

Truenamer's DC to use their "spells" is based on "2x CR", while their ability to make that DC is on the rate of 1x CR (1 rank per level). Without house ruling, this eventually results in a Truenamer that is unable to use their abilities.

RagnarokAngel posted:

That doesn't always work though. If you have a min maxing tricked out Wizard and a beginning player with a vanilla human fighter in the same party you have to make the challenges harder so the wizard doesn't win all the battles.
But by making the fights harder the fighter now can't hope to successfully hit anything or do real damage.

That's why he was talking about restricting by tiers. If you're allowing the god tier AND the lowest tiers, you've got to make up for it with some other bonuses. The gestalting system he described isn't exactly a total panacea, but it's a decent start. I ended up implementing a system whereby the good casting classes had to choose two splats from which they could learn spells, and that was it, and also banned basically any non-casting class worse than Tome of Battle.

My games were still unbalanced, mind, but to a much lesser degree.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/20?fro...ts_per_page=70

Edition War.

Edition War never changes.

rabbitman posted:

I'm not sure what Wizards of the Coast was thinking when they started this grand venture, but I'm hoping they missed the mark and are just too embarassed to admit it. From the few bits and pieces about the 3rd edition I've seen, many changes have taken place, so much so that the original core set of rules almost seems non-existant. THAC0 has been removed entirely, relying on a challenge rating of the creature being fought by party members as well as a rating assigned to the party themselves. Action or battle also consists of feats, instead of proficiencies. Saving throws have been reduced to 3 categories and initiative has been reverted to highest number goes first.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Wayback posted:

The only game I've gotten skeeved out in was playing in a group RPGA event in college. The vast majority of the players were college aged kids and a few older/younger players, but of course I had to sit at the table where the 40+ year old guy playing an elf bard 'seductress' decided to play at. Thankfully it was a short module since his squeaky 'woman' voice hitting on NPCs and PCs alike got creepy real fast. Yet again, my worst experiences tie back to the RPGA.

I know that guy. Why did you have to dredge up that memory?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I like how everyone who has a story about the RPGA, it usually involves something unpleasant or being scarred for the rest of their lives.

I have a lot of good memories of Living City and Living Rokugan. I also have a lot of very BAD memories about Living City... and Living Greyhawk... and Living Rokugan.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

poo poo yea, Dwarf Power, burn the forests.

:gimlisay:

I think it's pretty awesome that in 4e, dwarves are just as good as elves at being druids. Well, a different sort of druid, but still, druids. Children of earth and stone, represent!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tolan posted:

Maybe an opposed roll with your parents to see whether you did it at a convenient time or not.

Sounds like a skill challenge, to me. Knowledge skills, insight, streetwise, to find the most inconvenient place.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

Everyone knows Gilgamesh is the hardest NPC. :colbert:

well, it's for drat sure that when I played a fighter in previous editions, I carried retarded amounts of weapons. Usually in a golf bag. Because my caddy kept dying.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Relentless posted:

For powers, yes.

For rituals, no. You can get magic flying horses starting with a level 6 ritual, if you're lucky and have good Arcana, otherwise you just get regular horses.

I think there's a 10ish invisibility one as well.

That's where the 4e difference is. Stuff like that got moved to non-combat situations. You can spend 10 minutes and make 6 magic flying horses for 12 hours. Or you can fly for 1 round once an encounter, if you're the proper class and take the right power.

You can also get magical flying mounts before 10th level, thanks to Figurines of Wondrous Power. They're a bit fragile, but you can boost them a bit by blowing a surge on it, and you can bring them back in a day if they die.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

Holy poo poo. I skipped to the tl;dr part and then he kept going! This man has anger like no other!

Anger like few others, and an ego puffed up by tons of blowjobs from L5R fans. L5R 1e, the one he was the lead for, sucked rear end for anything but flavor text. Significant parts of it were broken, and by broken, I mean that they simply did not work. If you looked too closely at the rules, they fell apart.

And I refuse to get into all the places where his rules and flavor directly contradicted each other.

He was also stupid enough to let Ree Soesbee write an entire book on her favorite clan.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

d02 :c00lbert:

No allowance whatsoever for mechanical character advancement, doesn't allow for coin systems that have identical faces, nor for coinage that has more than two effective sides, to say nothing of countries that lack coinage entirely.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ZorbaTHut posted:

We figured out what we wanted in a game, and found a game that - with a small amount of tinkering - provided it. If that makes us 12-year-olds, then I guess we're 12-year-olds :v:

I have to agree, I'd definitely rather be with the twelve year olds than at the general's table.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

FMguru posted:

Being able to fart through so many diapers is awesome, for certain values of "awesome". I guess.

But not as awesome as a day of nice, uncomplicated asskicking.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

It's bullshit to say "without death there is no heroism", but there needs to be risk for sure. Death is just a very convenient and elementary risk since it doesn't force the players to have interesting stories that allow the DM to dabble. Maybe that 45 year old paladin is just adventuring to earn money for his family back home; the Big Bad might pick up on this and whoops sorry we killed your wife and took your baby hostage and plan on raising it to be a dark sorceror. Cheers.

This is why experienced players don't have families that they give a gently caress about.

Any adventurer who has a family they care about is insane or stupid.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Min-max your backstory.

Congratulations. You just killed my family. For the sixteenth time in a row. I'll be over here in the corner roleplaying my total despair or something.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i am apathetic to the world around me, and don't value anything more than myself. also i'm a paladin with an urgent sense of righteous justice, and cannot stand to watch this world i have no attachment to be plagued by evil.

poo poo gets old, fast. Anybody who doesn't acknowledge that is a bad DM. You don't have to be a grognard to get tired of the DM killing off your family every time you include one.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

opaopa13 posted:

Common sense? What feat do I have to take for that? Is there a table I could roll on?

You need to play White Wolf to take Common Sense merit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

Me either, but every now and then 'that guy' pops up. And sometimes it's someone who should know better. It's a sign of either stupidity or burnout. If you want to play a Face, play Shadowrunner. But even then you'll have the pistols skill.

Hell, even in L5R, where there are entire schools dedicated to being The Face, smart courtier players grab ranks in unarmed, knives, or archery. Uh, unless they're playing a total pacifist, in which case they intend for themselves to be spending every combat screaming "NOT IN THE FACE!" and basically gently caress them.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

If the courtier dominates the social scene while the bushi basically stays silent, it seems only fair that during combat the courtier basically hides behind a rock and lets the bushi shine.

Actually, the big problem I (and a lot of others) have is that in social scenes, the courtiers don't -get- to dominate, because a lot of the "higher class of roleplayers" that L5R attracts are absolutely phobic of allowing mechanics to affect social situations at all. People have actually got offended when I made them roll their 2 ranks of Etiquette or Courtier after they roleplayed their lovely little speech.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

Roll the dice first, then have them role-play to the result. After all, if they're such good role-players they can portray their character's gently caress-ups just as well as their successes.

A good idea, but not always practical, or even possible.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

Why?

Because rolls are frequently called for as a result of character actions, and crap, even as the GM, it would annoy the gently caress out of me to demand that every action in a social situation be stated plainly, rolled for, and then roleplayed out.

There's also the fact that in L5R's social mechanics, you often don't know what skill to call for until after they've stated the action.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

LGD posted:

Yeah, that's just some good basic gamemastering.

I make my players bring root beer floats. For everybody. Gaming is always smoother with root beer floats.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tolan posted:

Well, wands are capped at 50 charges in 3.5. So cure minor wounds is sorta pointless for putting in a wand, since you're only getting 50 hp cured out of the wand. If you wanted to make it, though, it'd cost you 187g5s and 15xp.

Cure light wounds would cost you 375g and 30xp and get you 50d8+50 hp of healing.

Also requires a 5th or higher level cleric. Not incredibly uncommon, but they're not going to be all over the place, either. They also have to take the Craft Wand feat, which not all will. :)

Purchase price is 750g.

So yeah, probably best not to think too much about this. I seem to recall one of the 3.5 guys (Monte Cook?) saying that the magic item creation rules were fairly broken.

He's talking about the magic item cost guidelines in the DMG, under which you could make a use-activated, unlimited-use wondrous item of cure minor wounds for like 900 GP.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't be a dick is an ambiguous statement, man. What if my culture considers refusing to insult friends to be dickish?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

IMJack posted:

My experience with skill challenges is in not realizing a skill challenge is happening until you're 3 or 4 seemingly unconnected skill checks into it. Seems to work pretty well.

This. If your players never realize that they are doing a skill challenge, you are doing it right.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ashenai posted:

The General, have you considered the fact that 4e owns?

I think this thread needs way more contemplation of the many ways in which 4e owns.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I think it's more missing the original point that, according to rules-as-written, you can't see the moon.

Actually, you can. According to the rules as written, you don't need to use Spot to see something unless it's hidden/hiding, and the moon can't hide unless it has cloud cover.

Edit: I feel dirty just having had to post that. I hate you guys.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 8, 2009

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The General posted:

The moon isn't living, therefor it can't really roll to hide. The DM has to assign an arbitrary DC to the spot check, failure of make said spot check means you can't find the moon.

And if the DM sets an arbitrary DC for the spot check such that you cannot see a lit moon on a clear night, he is a colossal rear end in a top hat, and/or The General.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cyrai posted:

I wonder how their opinions or arguments would change if WoW had never been made, or even if there were never any MMORPGs. If you're a grognard that doesn't like 4E, it's almost guaranteed you'll say it's WoW. Normal people who just don't like 4E just say they don't like 4E. Is there anything else that 95% of the grognards could agree on and use as a rallying cry if there was no WoW?

3e was Diablo. "The real Diablo 3" pretty much sums up what they'd use instead, I bet.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

Wasn't the only campaign destroyer that had to be destroyed by DM fiat and not by rules interpretation the diplomancer?

Not really. The less agressive Pun Pun builds did work entirely within the rules without interpretation. It was only when the Omniscificer vs Pun-Pun penis wars started that it got much more iffy.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Why is everyone going HAIL HACKMASTER in the rpgnet Warhammer thread?

Because Hackmaster is a quality game that attracts a higher class of roleplayer.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Lv2 pally tank here. Uh, this happens to me a lot. It's a combination of a lot of things:

- Made CHA paladin before divine power came out, my lv1 encounter power is completely worthless and GM is not letting me respec it until I hit a new level.
- Save daily power because it's dumb to waste it against some loving goblins when there could be something nasty in the next fight and we can't extended rest inside the dungeon.
- GM likes to metagame a bit and always have the monsters go against the lowest armor PC that they're in range of (is this normal?), so as a paladin tank I have to mark as many of them as loving possible to prevent five goblin sharpshooters from gang-raping the wizard every round.
- GM likes to have enemies run around and regroup, meaning combat can easily last six rounds. (and three hours of game time)

This results in me Ardent Striking every single round in a desperate attempt to keep my cardboard-armor allies up while they do the actual damage. I might get one Enfeebling Strike at the end of combat when there's only one enemy left.

I have no idea if this is normal or not.

It will improve as you get to respec. As DM, I pretty much give my PCs a free rebuild whenever a major update to the class comes out. It keeps everybody a lot happier. The chaladin in my party yesterday was frustrated, but it was more because he was having trouble connecting than because he was spamming the same attack over and over.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Your GM sounds like a bit of a dick

This is also true.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Joudas posted:

People were still defending 2nd edition up until the announcement for 4e

People are STILL defending 2nd edition as the best edition ever.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Rereading the BECMI rulebooks is pretty hilarious. None of the rules made any sense at all.

I tried to run a Mystara campaign out of the Rules Cyclopedia. That was a huge loving mistake. I will never get back the eye I gouged out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The boulevard of broken grognard dreams posted:

It's just another "D&D but better!" Fantasy Heartbreaker.

Technically, it's not supposed to be a new 'version' but a 'replacement'. Sadly, they've done nothing but push some blocks around.

The Fighter still sucks. The Wizards and Clerics still rule...

Nothing has changed. Not a drat thing.

FantasyCraft, here I come.

Dangit, the more I read...

-See invisibility remains a third level spell. (get this; one of the many new polymorph spells gives you scent at that level plus more, so whee see invisible. Not just more useless than Glitterdust, but also the new polymorphs!)

-Remember Glibness? Yeah, that spell was silly, wasn't it? They nerfed it. down to "just" +20 bluff.

-There's a cleric cantrip which causes a stabilized creature to resume dying. Just whack it with your mace, you idiot.

-The summoning spells still require trawling through an entirely different book. A book which hasn't been released yet, mind you. And they still have the same potential to overpower the game.

-Gate. Just... Gate. Yes, it still works like it used to.

-On that note, Plane shift. Still a fifth-level instakill. The ultimate bad touch, it transports you to a plane of pure pain with no way to get back.

-Darkness is back with all its 3.0 shenanigans. Really, is it honestly this hard to make it a third level spell? At least it doesn't shed light as the 3.5 version.

-Wind wall still shuts down archery.

-Freedom of Movement still makes you immune to grappling. So much for that.

-Planar Ally. Myep.

-Disjunction doesn't destroy items outright, only if they roll 1 to save against. And yes, you do have to save for each item. Unless you target one item specifically, in which case the item gets a -5 penalty to the save and is destroyed regardless.

-Form of the Dragon 3 is, besides being an awesome eighties kung fu b-movie title, just like Shapechange except you "have" to be a dragon. A huge dragon. Enjoy your aura of fear, complete with insane DC. Mind you, Shapechange is still in except it combines all high-level polymorph spells into one, so the reason for seperating them... eh.

-Incidentally, that spell is of the same level and apparently considered balanced with Giant Form 2.

-Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation are still massive cheaters, allowing you the benefits of the majority of Evocation by being an Illusionist. Poor old Evocation.

-Limited Wish minus the XP cost. Wish, too. Curiously, they went out of their way to limit the utility in duplicating opposing schools for specialist wizards, even though specialists can cast them from items and even prepare them (using two spell slots) just fine.

-Finger of death is a flat 10 points of damage per level. Consider that fighters don't get that many hit points per level, let alone anyone you'd target with a fort spell. What precisely changed here?

Honestly, I could go on.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Holy poo poo, that's downright hilarious. I was expecting a dud, not something that would actually explode in Paizo's face.

Yeah, well, I told people from the beginning how this was going to turn out, and I was absolutely right. I know Jason and Erik, and they're not the guys I want designing my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

The equivalant would be William Shatner

No that is completely wrong, The Shat is awesome.