Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

John Wick posted:

It's difficult to read.
It isn't organized very well.
It's difficult to read.

Didn't this man make Legend of the Five Rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Drox posted:

What is it with grognards and crocodiles?

Wikipedia posted:

Crocodiles are ambush hunters, waiting for fish or land animals to come close, then rushing out to attack. As cold-blooded predators, they are lethargic, therefore survive long periods without food, and rarely need to actively go hunting.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

Ya know I wasn't happy about the new edition info about WFRP, but I'm not gonna be MAD at people for liking it, my group probably will stick with 2nd edition, but if people like this one rock on.

Why is it Grognards unironically think that when a new edition comes out they are FORCED to play it and their old books are physically stolen and destroyed? I mean I know it's been said before but I've not really experienced a feeling of 'oh, the new edition sucks, let's just use the old one dudes' with my group in a while and I honestly wonder if these guys even actually play the games they screech about.

Because when the new edition comes, all those free of sin (the old edition books) will be raptured away before the seven-year period of suffering.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cut off your hand to go with it, become a nerd hero.

Isn't there a Heart now too?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Gary Gygax posted:

Just as it is important to use forethought and consideration in placing valuable metals and other substances with monsters or otherwise hiding them in dungeon or wilderness, the placement of magic items is a serious matter. Thoughtless placement of powerful magic items has been the ruination of many a campaign. Not only does this cheapen what should be rare and precious, it gives player characters undeserved advancement and empowers them to become virtual rulers of all they survey.

This is in part the fault of this writer, who deeply regrets not taking the time and space in D&D to stress repeatedly the importance of moderation. Powerful magic items were shown after all, on the tables, and a chance for random discovery of these items was given, so the uninitiated DM cannot be severely faulted for merely following what was set before him or her in the rules. Had the whole been prefaced with an admonition to use care and logic in placement or random discovery of magic items, had the intent, meaning, and spirit of the game been more fully explained, much of the give-away aspect of such campaigns would have willingly been squelched by the DMs.

The sad fact is, however, that this was not done, so many campaigns are little more than a joke, something that better DMs jape at and ridicule -- rightly so on the surface -- because of the foolishness of player characters with astronomically high levels of experience and no real playing skill. These god-like characters boast and strut about with retinues of ultra-powerful servants and scores of mighty magic items, artifacts, and relics adorning them as if they were Christmas trees decked out with tinsel and ornaments.

Not only are such "Monty Haul" games a crashing bore for most participants, they are a headache for their DMs as well, for the rules of the game do not provide anything for such play -- no reasonable opponents, no rewards, nothing! The creative DM can, of course, develop a game which extrapolates from the original to allow such play, but this is a monumental task to accomplish with even passable results, and those attempts I have seen have been uniformly dismal.
________________________________________/

demota fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 21, 2009

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

If you want your monsters to have full PC stats just stat them up as PC's and toss them into a fight what is so hard to understand about this :psyduck:

They can't stretch their imaginations enough to break the rules like that. Or assign an exp value.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Mikan posted:

Ewen Cluney is a really nice guy overall, I agree, he's just otaku as hell and it's kinda creepy
I am glad he's helping to bring over games from the Japanese trad games scene since they do have some neat stuff over there. I just wish it were less of the otaku anime creepy and more of the other games

Does Tenra count? I don't really know much about the details, just a vague description of what it's about.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

That son of a bitch stole the "elf maiden" racial trait from my 4e adaptation of the corgi

Oh man, it was YOU that made the Corgi thing? I love that.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I have a friend whose parents named her Arwen.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

Actual thread (with 82 replies!) in the moderator feedback forum of RPGnet:

Anyone else offended by "that's lame"?

What a goddamn friar.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I like that in FATAL, you roll a d10,000,000 to figure out how many babies a girl will have.

There are only five results.

I guess the green die is the ones, the red die is the tens, the blue die is the hundreds, the translucent orange is the thousands, the speckled red is the ten thousands, the clear blue gamescience die is the hundreds of thousands, the dark green with gold print is the millions, and the black one is the ten millions place?

loving FATAL.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Created a terrible rules thread over here if we wanna pursue this line of discussion a whole lot longer.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

the_crom posted:

Wow. How quickly the sheeple fall into line. What happened to everybody who was complaining about this game? Did they just stop bothering to check in to see what's going on?

At the risk of being called elitist, I'm going to reiterate. This is NOT a roleplaying game. This is a board game that is trying to emulate a roleplaying game. A roleplaying game is about imagination, its about a world built entirely in the head of the players. The rules are there to provide a framework to resolve actions. They are not there to force players to work together, to act a certain way, or even to build a story. The players do that. At its finest, an RPG doesn't even need rules. Some of the best adventures I've ever played in, the dice were never rolled. Could you do that with this game? The tension meter is the game's mechanics interfering with the player's dynamics. Same with the crazy dice. I'm disgusted at this game. It's a dishonor to the fine tradition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

From what I hear, Fantasy Flight Games already tried to release this product under a different name and it was a horrible flop. So now that the have the Warhammer Fantasy license, they're just using the license at the expense of the current players. (Who liked the game, by the way.) Is there any truth to that statement, or is that just a nasty rumor?

Normally, I have nothing but good things to say about FFG but this is ridiculous.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=768 Comment #12

demota
Aug 12, 2003

demota fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2009

demota
Aug 12, 2003

This entire thing.

It's FATAL author Byron Hall's attempt at a rebuttal against the infamous review of his game. I thought about posting the whole thing, but as I scrolled down I started to realize this thing was way too long.

But, I'll give you guys the preamble at least.

The sick person who created FATAL posted:

Although it is technically not a review, but mostly an attack against me, Byron Hall, I will demonstrate the fallacies of the authors, Darren MacLennan and Jason Sartin. Obviously, they hate F.A.T.A.L. and anyone involved with the game. Their hatred can be only the result of fear. They are fearful because they know it will be published. They are fearful because the material in the game is supported, and is dissimilar to anything that attracts them. People fear what is different to them, mostly out of cognitive laziness; it takes effort to explore what is different. Nonetheless, I appreciate the attention to the game, and inefficient effort.

As a preface, understand that their fear caused them to react emotionally. Their attempted review is only an emotional outburst and lacks substance. I do not need to rely on emotional appeals (no matter how funny and persuasive they can be), and will show the stupidity of their arguments, point by point, with reason. Although rhetoric is effective, it is the lowest form of debate.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

God drat these guys are pussies. Here's a few ideas for what you do if you REALLY want to kill off your players with traps.

1) Install a spring-loaded heavy blade underneath the gaming table, pointed at where the chairs might normally lie. Except your own, if you want to be a wuss about it. Some players may be a little divided over this.

2) If you know a little chemistry, you can put different substances that react strongly in different foods and drinks. Your players might find the taste quite explosive.

3) If a monster splashes a PC with poison, splash a tiny bottle of contact poison on the player's mini. It'll take a little time, but the overall effect is pretty vial.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Ten Things You Should Know About RPG Pundit

One of the great enigmas in the roleplaying hobby is the commentator known as RPG Pundit. I first encountered him years ago as Nisarg, a snarky new member at RPGnet. From which he was banned. He's been banned from many other gaming forums as well. Eventually he found a venue for expressing his ideas, his blog. It's at that little corner of the internet where I first started to really get to know the man behind the mayhem. Later, when he took over theRPGsite the Pundit asked me to be one of the admins, a gig I continue with to this day.

To the extent that I appear on anyone's radar at all, I kinda assume that I am sometimes counted among the Pundit's Proxy Army. It was Nicole Lindroos a.k.a Nikchick first added the word "proxy" to the Pundit's vocabulary. Given the events of the time I suspect she was talking in particular about me and Pundit's buddy Jong. So despite publicly disagreeing with the man several times the idea that some folks think I drank the Kool-Aid wouldn't suprise me.

Still, I've managed to have a vantage point closer to Pundit than a lot of other people who have a strong negative opinion about him. He may only be an internet friend that I've never met face-to-face, but I feel pretty certain that I know the man behind the myth a helluva a lot better than his detractors. I think if everyone knew Pundit the way I do they would feel differently. They might still disagree with him, as I sometimes do, but they wouldn't be so hard on him. To that end I've composed a list of things I know about Pundit that you probably don't.

When RPG Pundit put on the One Ring, the Nazgul just said, "gently caress it."
The last man who made eye contact with RPG Pundit was Ray Charles.
RPG Pundit always asks for the same Christmas gift: A box of Smurfs and a sledgehammer.
The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from RPG Pundit and forgot to pay him back.
Once a cobra bit RPG Pundit's leg. After five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.
RPG Pundit doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
RPG Pundit's body is composed of 95% recycled material, making him earth friendly and of benefit to society. To balance himself out, RPG Pundit sets fire to one national park per year.
RPG Pundit has the heart of a child. He keeps it in a small box.
When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for RPG Pundit.
RPG Pundit's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools RPG Pundit.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Maddman posted:

Gee I sure hope so because that stuff sounds like lots of fun!

Random encounters and robbing shopkeepers, oh what joys.

Does FtA at least have Sokoban?

Edit: Through some searching, I found a :filez: copy of FtA!. I'm not about to download and subject my eyes to that crap, but I'm wondering if it'd be alright to post a link, considering no one here wants it because they think it'd be a good game. Which mod do I go about asking?

demota fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 9, 2009

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Dyrnwyn posted:

When it comes to D&D I would call myself a roleplayer. I like to interact with other characters and the world in non-combat situations as much as, if not more than in combat. Well, when I first played 4e, I played in a few different groups. I tried doing things like negotiating with a band of brigands to avoid an attack, haggling with a shopkeeper, asking a tavern owner about local rumors, and even verbally challenging the party's enemy, and every time, in every group, the DM would stand up, walk over to me, and bash me across the face with the PHB! The rest of the table would get all mad at me, too, and say things like, "What the hell are you doing? We just like moving from encounter to encounter and don't need faggy plot getting in the way of our fun." 4e, you could have been so great, but I guess it's impossible to roleplay under your rules.

:raise: I don't think this is because it's 4e.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

quote:

Sure, halflings riding dinosaurs is cool and all, but raptors are a pretty implausible selection. As far as I know, raptors are pack animals, and historically pack animals were only used as aids to hunting, not for riding. We used herd animals for riding. Halflings should probably ride triceratops or similar animals.

There, I said it.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

@commoner: The problem lays in the fact they deliberately choosed cards, tokens and all those things in order to make it collectionable. With this new expansion you pay $130 and get lot less content than the core handbook V2 had: less careers, less Colleges of magic, less playable Religions, only low level wizards and priests... any of this choice has clearly been taken in order to make it a collectable rolecard game.

@froo: I'm not a xenophobe and neither are most of the naysayers you find here in the new WFRP game. Feel free to look for my nickname over the net with Google and try to find another topic where I'm complaining about a product this way: I didn't for V2, I did not when the new Amiga OS4 saw the light, I did not for the NatAmi project, I did not for 6th and 7th edition of WFB (Oh... I'm called Al Neherim on Portent and Warseer). So, if I'm complaining about this product there is a good reason and that reson is that they literally raped the whole WFRP concept. And I'm not talking about gaming mechanics here: I've read about them and I find them good and intriguing under some aspects. I'm talking about the fact that with just the basic book you had much more careers and much more options that let you create campaigns that let you play through all 3/4 levels of wizardry/priesthood, picking from 10 magic lores and quite as many divine lores.

V2 supplements were full of background materials, adventure hooks and the like. Tome of Corruption delivered 41 careers, 3 new playable races, several creatures to be added to the bestiary, 256 pages full of background, mutations, chaos weapon creation tables, instructions for creating daemons, warbands and spawns and lot lot more for 40$... 10$ more than this collectable box, do your maths.

Oh yes, FFG has to pay for all the cardboards, cards and custom materials... but why the heck do we have to use them in an RPG? Yes they add something to the gameplay... but main reason, reading through FFG's publication strategy, is to milk players by involving them in a collectionable rolecard game.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Where the heck is that from? Google is just giving me south african land developers when I google the filename.

It's Zybourne Clock.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

You poor fool, the Zybourne Clock can never be created. The humour comes from what a poorly-planned, badly-directed failure it was. Trying to encapsulate that with rules would be a mockery of what makes it so great.

Plus there are only, like, three people in the world who know anything about it beyond Johnny Five Aces.

What if you made a game about the development of the game?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

anyone who actually loving types out 'ahem' in their writing needs to eat a bullet

Misread bullet as buffet.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

I read the "get lucky" thing in the context of the elf rape thing, and now I hate everyone and everything ever.

Also, when you run an RPG entirely using a computer with random generators everything, don't you end up with Nethack?

Not quite. Nethack scales challenges to your character level. Still deadly as hell, but you've got a fighting chance.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

Are you making GBS threads me?

Spelljammer is a great setting to read but it's pretty blah to play since most of it requires a "HAHA MONKEY CHEESE" campaign to not be total bullshit.

He is not kidding you. It's in the Realm Space supplement.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

lighttigersoul posted:

So, guy in a community of anime fans, in their tabletop gaming discussion, trolling someone for liking Naruto ((Not that I blame him for that. . .)) says:

If you really have to convert an anime for a tabletop, use Detroit Metal City.

I for one would love to roll for my Rape stat.

Detroit Metal City would be the only game where a stat for how fast your character can talk might actually matter.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

So in 2e, a spoon would do 1d1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

demota
Aug 12, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love anime.

And manga.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

ZeeToo posted:

Instead of porn, I think this guy just puts very large numbers on his calculator and stares at them while he jacks off.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Strontosaurus posted:

you're mom

Does she e-stalk you a lot? :(

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Seconding Curse of Chalion.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

October, 1977. The Dragon. Too much loot in your campaign? D&D OPTION: ORGIES, INC. by Jon Pickens

NWS for crudely drawn 1977 elf boobs. In truth the core idea of it is alright, especially if you wanna do a more Conan-y game. It's just grognardy for how it's written and ORGIES.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

How many posts in did people unironically suggest things like ponies and rainbows?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Mikan posted:

I agree with all of that, it's as bad as the Pathfinder core setting for racism, I just couldn't pass up the burn opportunity

I gotta ask. What's the Pathfinder core setting do for racism?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

From what I've seen so far, it looks pretty loving good, and even has courtier mechanics that let you outright manipulate people in ways that border on mind control, which is pretty much a huge step up from the vague bullshit courtiers had before.

I'm sure the rules are good, but are they going to be well-written and organized? :smith:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

4e: An Adventuer wakes up. He walks over to his closet, but he can not break it down as he is not in combat with it. Naked, he proceeds to the kitchen. He stands around for a few moments, as he has no power or skill to make coffee. Not that it would matter, as there are no penalties for malnourishment. Nonplused, he walks out the front door, where nobody makes a comment to his lack of clothes because there are no regular clothes in 4e, and everyone is naked like him.

:siren:This is what grognards actually believe.:siren:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Benjamin Black posted:

So like half the book.

So you'd still be left with 500 pages of material. Sounds alarmingly doable to me. :ohdear:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Mikan posted:

There's one game where a knife must be on the table, sheathed, and none of the characters can explicitly state what they want from one another until it is unsheathed, and in order to start a fight, you need to stab the knife into the table through your target's character sheet, and the winner of the fight is determined by a vote of everyone at the table who is not involved in it.

The Mist-Robed Gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Turing sex machine posted:

Cookbooks are a lot like Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games. They contain seemingly rigid rules that, in practice, require a certain amount of adaptation for your own tastes.

So how come cooking gets its own TV channel and role-playing games don't even get a show on G4? Maybe the population at large doesn't want to pretend to be a half-elf. Maybe RPGs take more imagination than most people have.

However, it just might have something to do with the role-playing community. If geeks talked about cookbooks the way they talk about RPG books, the results would not be pretty:

Posted: 12:15 a.m. by LordOrcus I'm so mad that there's a new edition of The Better Joy Cookbook out. Thanks for making my old copy obsolete, you greedy hacks! For five years now, my friends have been coming over for my eggplant Parmesan, and now I'm never going to be able serve it again unless I shell out 35 bucks for the latest version.

Posted: 12:42 a.m. by Kathraxis Hey, I have a question! When you preheat the oven, can you start it before you measure out the ingredients, or do you have to do it afterward? Please answer quickly, my friends and I have been arguing about it for four hours and we're getting pretty hungry.

Posted: 12:48 a.m. by Goku1440 I found an awesome loophole! On page 242 it says "Add oregano to taste!" It doesn't say how much oregano, or what sort of taste! You can add as much oregano as you want! I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Posted: 1:02 a.m. by barrybarrybarry I can't believe I spent 35 dollars on a cookbook that doesn't have a recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I buy a cookbook, I expect it to tell me how to cook. And don't tell me to just make a PBJ myself, I'm not some sort of hippy artist pretentious "freeform cook."

Posted: 1:08 a.m. by jvmkanelly Where are the recipes for chatting with friends while cooking? Where are the recipes for conversation over the meal? When I throw a dinner party, I want it to be a PARTY. I guess the idiots who use the Better Joy Cookbook just cook and eat in stony silence, never saying a word or even looking each other in the eye.

Posted: 1:23 a.m. by LordOrcus Hey, guess what? They're coming out with The Better Joy Book of Hors D'oeuvres. It just goes to show that the publishers are a bunch of corporate greedheads who care more about money than they do about cooking. Is it too much to ask for a single cookbook that contains all possible recipes?

Posted: 1:48 a.m. by specsheet Hey, everyone. I can tell just by reading the recipe that if you prepare eggs benedict as written, the sauce will separate. My mom always said the other kids made fun of me because they were jealous of my intelligence, so I must be right. Everyone who's saying that they followed the recipe and it came out perfect is either lying, or loves greasy separated hollandaise sauce.

Posted: 1:52 a.m. by IAmEdAs I have pointed out MANY TIMES, several of these recipes contain raisins, and I, like most people, am ALLERGIC to raisins! And before you tell me to substitute dried cranberries, I will reiterate that I am discussing the recipes AS WRITTEN. I do not appreciate your ATTACKING ME with helpful suggestions!

Posted: 2:12 a.m. by HerodotusI just have to laugh at the recipe for Beef Wellington. In Wellington's day, ovens didn't have temperature settings! And pate de foie gras certainly didn't come in cans. It's like the authors didn't even care about replicating authentic early 19th century cooking techniques!

Posted: 2:17 a.m. by LordOrcus I have read the new Better Joy Cookbook and I am devastated to my very core. Their macaroni and cheese recipe, the very macaroni and cheese I've been making since I was in college, has been ravaged and disfigured and left bleeding on the page. Where once it contained only cheddar cheese, now the recipe calls for a mix of cheddar and Colby. It may contain macaroni, and it may contain cheese, but it is not macaroni and cheese. This is a slap in the face and a knife in the gut. You have lost me, Better Joy Cookbook. I would bid you goodbye, but I wish you nothing but the pain and rage you have delivered unto me.

Lore Sjolberg is a great writer and I wish he'd update more often.