Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

Kemper Boyd posted:

This loving thread http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=10557810#post10557810

Look at that long goddamn list of reasons why I don't play Vampire anymore.

What the gently caress is broken inside people that they enjoy pretending to rape children and torture people? How do they find enough other mutants like them to fill a game table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

The General posted:

Sometimes I wonder if a simple questionaire would keep them out. 'You see a young girl bound and helpless. Do you rape her? Yes/no'. Because god damned they are quick to do poo poo like that in game the first chance they get.

I have actually done this a few times, for various reasons. It never fails to piss some people off, but usually only the people you are looking to winnow out anyway.

It is also great fun.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Following a link posted in lf to the forums on Stormfront.org, a white supremecist website, I saw a thread much like that where people were trying to justify being Drizzt fanboys while still hating darkies. My favorite argument that someone made was that dark elves were called that because they use dark magic and live in the dark, not because rhey are actually black. Some others were throwing up huge walls of text expounding on the sociological differences between the drow and those filthy niggers. It was honestly heartbreaking how deeply hosed up people can be.

Makes the elf rapists seem almost sane by comparison.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

The General posted:

Note: Good for balance though, but gently caress balance, this poo poo aint been balanced for 30 years.

It is now, and it's wonderful. gently caress balance? No, sir. gently caress you.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Etherwind posted:

UMI'd? Do I even want to know?

Unnatural Mental Influence. Exalted "social combat" rules are strange, and are part of the reason I laugh at people who complain that 4e has no rules for roleplaying. Every system I have seen try to put mechanics behind roleplaying does it awkwardly at best, except for 7th Seas.

Also, dude shoulda spent willpower on that poo poo. He obviously wanted the rape.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Etherwind posted:

Counterpoint: Legend of the Five Rings 3rd Edition.

Conceded. Same company, though.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I could be thinking of a different game writer, but I thought there was a blog post of his in this thread about 4th edition. Something to the extent of "I watched a group play it for an hour or two, it looked boring." and some whine about what could have been if only [insert various writing buddies] had been given a chance to really make something different.

I'm pretty sure it also featured Robin Laws telling him to STFU.

Robin D. Laws is awesome.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

There is no perfect game system.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Drox posted:

gently caress yes skaven :fap:

Skaven, hell. That bitch half an armadillo.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

The General posted:

How desperate would your character need to be to do that? I mean right now I personally am, but my characters have pride damnit!

I concur. It's amazing how many people play idealized heroic versions of themselves yet still assume that no woman will touch them without being paid or raped or magically coerced or some poo poo.

And cruising the Monster Manual for a date is just extra-sad.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Heck, even the Fallout Pen&Paper game doesn't make liberal enough use of the fallout guy.

There is a Fallout rpg? Holy poo poo, off to google.

e: Oh. A stillborn d20 book. Glee.

BAWRLIN fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 18, 2009

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Mikan posted:

You can, and easily. One of the newer books even discusses the best ways to do it.

Dear god, look how correct Mikan is. 4e works just fine for heavy social/political games, as those things are almost entirely a function of player interaction rather than mechanical structure.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Ashenai posted:

Half the people I play with would immediately and unironically buy the hell out of this.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Last page and all but clearly the pinnacle of grognard literature is the Gor series of novels. Every page would be a valid post here.

Do not, for gently caress's sake, read them.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

The General posted:

I need to know all the modifiers of wearing a hat. Surely there would be a -1 to hit, because it blocks my vision. Or possibly gives the guy trying to hit me a -2 because of all the colours of my spectacular hat.

Do you suppose these ordinary robes give me +2 diplomacy while dealing with common folk, while a -5 while dealing with nobles?

What about my shoes? Surely they effect the number of miles I can travel in a day.

Mother fucker, I need this book.

Never stop being you, bro.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

I see Romance in the game as a battle between Charisma and Wisdom. Whenever a character is introduced to another character of importance (including their own party) each character makes both an attack and a defense, with Charisma being the attack and Wisdom being the defense.

Should both parties fail their defense, a mutual attraction is announced. It doesn't need to be roleplayed in depth to the point of embarassment, just mentioned causally as character motivation points.

For example, X and Y have a new "thing" and NPC X wants Y to join him at his manor for a Ball he's throwing. Y and her party know they need to return quickly to the Caves of Plenty before their hoard of treasure is discovered by anyone.

Conflict is created, and the possibility for any number of tangents that will delight both player and DM.

You may want to continue with Wisdom checks each time one "In love" character tries to impose their will on their beloved.

X wants y to go to the Ball, but the player of Character Y would much rather go retrieve treasure from the Cave. But is this what Y would really do, or would they give in for the possibility of true love? Check Wisdom to find out.

This should keep things quick and simple, allowing things to move along.

It can also makes things fun and interesting if only one character fails their defenses. Any number of things can result from this that can really make things interesting in the city.

All this is done with as much or as little role-played dialogue as your group desires or can handle, but less dialogue is safer in most circumstances, as it tends to break down into groan-worthy cliche' and silliness right away.

I have more thoughts on this if anyone finds this system intriguing.

Low wisdom there, elfy-boy? Prepare to fall in love with every living thing you see.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

We just started a ME game, using the Fuzion system (a.k.a. Mekton) and it works out so far. Of course, no one is playing a biotic so that helps.

I also really hate GURPS.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

The General posted:

lighttigersoul, you're a loving genius and my hero. :swoon:

Lookit that abyss, all starin' back and poo poo. Who he think he is?

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

You're all missing the worst point of the whole "BBEG kills the girl" post.

Why would the players even give a poo poo about someone they've known for a few hours? If I was in a group I'd just be all "Oh, well, uh...we didn't know her so I guess we'll give her a proper burial or something? Anyway let's go on to NPC's or plots that lasted more than a few minutes and that we might care about."

I'm more mad that there is zero imagination or creativity in what that guy wrote than the specific actions themselves.

So torture and murder is fine as long the victim isn't someone you care about? Honestly, there is a lot wrong with his idea, but your specific compliant there speaks of your sociopathy, not his terrible gamemastering.

Unless you just mean that as an in character rebellion against his ham-handed attempts at provocation, I suppose.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Stuntman Mike posted:

I think in most parties the torture wouldn't bother them anyway - adventurers are indiscriminate sociopaths who loot the bodies of those they kill and often have no qualms about torturing NPCs to get what they want.

Stop gaming with terrible people.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Malachamavet posted:

Welcome to America :smug:

Stop voting for terrible people.

edit: pagebreak ruins the joke snype

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Stuntman Mike posted:

Let me tell you about the time that the insane gnome wizard fireballed some stubborn city watch who wouldn't let the party onto the rail platform to defuse a dangerous bomb.

Or the time the favored soul cast Sound Burst on five level 1 NPCs who were enchanted into sleepwalking off a cliff, because that would to wake them up. Three of them died.

Or the time that that same favored soul shot a villain in the middle of his explanatory speech, because "well he's a villain, we're gonna fight him anyway!"

...D&D makes people crazy.

I don't understand why people assume that actions have no ethical or legal consequences when dice are involved. This behavior is almost paladin-rape levels of bad to me.

Whatever makes people happy, I guess. I may just become turbohippy at the table, but I see a big difference between killing mindflayers to protect innocent brains and exploding passersby to see if they had cooler boots than me. I play video games for mindless violence, I play tabletop rpgs to sleep with elves explore character and story.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up about Wushu already

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Actually, the argument got more interesting after I bitched, and most of those posts would have ended up here anyway, so I guess y'all were just being efficient.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

TGD once again makes time for it's second favorite hobby: eating it's own.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

That last fucker is making the Dreamworks face.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Being drugged and made to perform under penalty of death is more on the rapin' side of the scale than it is playful erotic domination.

Sexin' is sexin'.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

gamer godchat is the best godchat.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

pretty much. there are some accounts suggesting that it was really common for the average recruit to soil himself during his first battle.

This has always, and still is, way more common than people are comfortable admitting. Human physiology has it's rules, one of which is that energy used holding on to waste is better spent on staying alive. Add that to the illnesses like dysentery that run rampant among soldiers even today, and welp...

The books On Combat and On Killing are good reads about the physical and mental effects of combat, if anybody else finds that sort of thing interesting.

And no, I don't make any of my players roll to see if they GBS themselves. There is such a thing as too much realism.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Does this Gameprinter guy blow a gasket when people ask why they should pay him money for things already available in (less retardedly named) Sengoku supplements? Or mention L5R at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

Really Pants posted:

Gwendolyn Falcon Merlin Kestrel

ThunderCougarFalconBird!