Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Hell, I just hope they do a 4.5 (or something) in a couple years where everything for each class is compiled into one section so I don't have to go flipping through four books every time I want to build a character or level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Mikan posted:

Lastly, instead of the PHB, DMG, and MM being the core books they devise a system where all-new "core books" will be released every year.

oh no 30 dollars a year there's no way I can afford a hobby this expensive

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Bob Smith posted:

Our group are also pretty good with letting people borrow the DM's books if you just want to see if something is worth getting.

Yeah, maybe it's just because I play with people I'm friends with outside D&D but we have no problem loaning books out. Hell, the guy DMing doesn't even own a MM or DMG, he's borrowing mine.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Seftir posted:

I'm having a hard time taking that to be true because every hobby shop I go into 3.x stuff is on sale at half price soooooo

Half price? Pfft. I got 3.5 PHB, DMG, MM, and Complete Adventurer for 20 bucks total at my comic shop.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

"1001 'Barbaric' Customs: Superstitions, Taboos, Rituals, etc."

quote:

326 - Every time your humanoid enemy is near death and your enemy is a female humanoid, you rape her.
327 - Mutilation of scalps and then use them as trophies.
328 - Tie down enemy children to a tree and test the sharpness of your blade.
329 - Eat the flesh of the fallen.
330 - Use your allies as shields.
331 - Rape your female allies at night.
332 - Torture the enemy's family in front of their eyes.
333 - For your ally's incompetence to kill the enemy, after the battle, you tie him/her down and chop of their fingers for every enemy not killed.
334 - Failure to rape enemy women will result in floggings from the whole tribe and banishment.
335 - Failure to kill will result in your family's torture, rape, and death.
336 - Failure to be physically well for war and pillaging will result in 335.
337 - For being caught stealing another man's woman, the stealer shall have every bone of his body crushed before having his ********* removed.
338 - For the man who sees the theft of the woman, his eyes will be gauged out so he can no longer see evil.
339 - If your woman cannot bear a child, you will be stripped naked and sent into wild for nature to cure your infertility. You will have to survive two weeks alone in the wilderness, if you try to return, you will be skinned alive.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I really want to know how people can use "it's not selling IT'S A FAILURE" as an argument when there's gobs of information that basically says it's selling like hotcakes. Wasn't MM2 on the NYT bestsellers list the week it came out? And that's a book that is mostly just for DMs.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Etherwind posted:

I like rust monsters. :shobon: They're one of the more interesting and colourful monsters in the bestiary.

Seriouspost I love the idea of rust monsters but seriously gently caress actually fighting/using them

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

I like the poster who admits he has lousy social skills and angrily demands answers for how to fix his lovely life. Don't ever change, RPGnet.

RPGnet? lovely social skills? Well I never.
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=457353

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Ashenai posted:

can 4e fighters fullattack?

no, i didn't think so. case closed :smug:

what the gently caress do you mean, my fighter only needs one d20 now? I'm going back to 3.5.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Oh look a grognard reads the core books and passes judgment on what the game "feels like" rather than playing it. What a surprise.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1222327

"I love everything Wizards has done with 4e EXCEPT THE ARTISTIC RENDERING OF A PARTICULAR MADE UP WEAPON. THIS WILL NOT STAND."

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

To be fair the idea of a brass dragon knocking the party out so he can bury them up to their necks just because he wants to talk to them is hilarious and something I always wanted to spring on some of my friends who don't know much about DnD dragons and would think they were dead only to wake up to a dragon making tea and scones and getting ready for a nice long chat. 4TH EDITION MAKES THIS IMPOSSIBLE

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

In case anyone is wondering what Ed Greenwood looks like:

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The General posted:

Holy poo poo. I feel dirty just from reading that.

I posted the picture because I feel like to get the full creepshow experience you need to know that it was typed by an aging, overweight guy with a big gross beard.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

That thread was posted last month yet one of the complaints consists of how you apparently can't play a druid, bard, or "witch" with a familiar...they can't even update their complaints!

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

moths posted:

You get 3 failed death throws per day, which I can't tell you how many people forget / ignore. But that's substantially harsher than hitting negatives every other fight without consequence.

It isn't per day, it's in between rests. A short rest resets the count.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Seftir posted:

Isn't it obvious to everyone how well 4.fail is selling though? Say what you want about it's quality but WOTC must be making some good numbers.

I wondered the same thing but someone explained it to me like this: in their own delusional world view, the only people who matter are them and their sycophantic gaming group, and since none of them buy 4e stuff, NOBODY DOES!

I saw an argument where someone mentioned how 4e books have been on the NYT bestsellers list, and when the grognard asked for proof and the guy posted a link to the Wall Street Journal (or something) bestseller list, the grognard basically said "see you have no proof you said it was the NYT bestseller list and then give me a completely different list"

In short, they are delusional.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Indianapolis

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Ashenai posted:

By Moradin's hammer!

Best fake god swear is "Kord's right arm!"

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Cyrai posted:

Wow, the 'What do you dislike about Pathfinder' thread has 41 pages. The 'What do you like about Pathfinder'? Seven. Seven whole pages. What are the odds that Pathfinder will end up pushing grognards to liking 4.Fail?

I'd say about zero.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Any forum that has unironic signatures as the norm at all is a lovely forum anyway.

Especially when the signatures look like that.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=470469

Players complaining about blowing a daily to kill a single minion because you didn't tell them it was a minion? They need to grow up and stop being such babies!

This is probably my favorite argument ever because every time it comes up you can tell who DMs to make sure people have fun and who DMs just to ruin players' days.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Bob Smith posted:

I'd hate it if the DM out and said "you are attacked by two minions and a boss," because that kills the narrative much like using any other out-of-game terminology as part of in-game narration. However, saying something like "these two skeletons look a lot weaker than the others," or "the guards seem scared and unready" to show that they aren't the main focus of the fight is a good way of doing it.

See, this is reasonable! Calling someone a child and implying they have mental problems because they don't enjoy wasting good powers on minions is not:

noisms posted:

There seem to me to be two issues in the OP: minion identification and self-entitlement on the part of the player. As the DM I'd be more inclined to be worried about the latter.

Is the player in question 9 years old or younger? If so I'd forgive him whining about blowing his daily power, but otherwise if he was at my table he'd be told by everybody else (players and DM) to shut up and stop being such a baby. That kind of attitude is only going to be disruptive in the long term and should be nipped in the bud as soon as it appears.

In other words minion identification is not really the issue - it doesn't matter which way you and the players agree to run the game. In this instance the minion problem is just a symptom of a deeper malaise within the player's gaming style.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

Actual thread (with 82 replies!) in the moderator feedback forum of RPGnet:

Anyone else offended by "that's lame"?

People will find the stupidest loving things to get offended over, god drat

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

jesus christ

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I can't tell but it seems like the interviewer is very "pro-4e" and really wants the guys to offer a concrete argument beyond 'it's different and i'm a terrible person'

edit: rename thread grognards.flv

It seems that way, especially in the video on the last page where the interviewer is trying to get the guy to explain why he doesn't like 4e, and it takes the guy forever to come up with "well, I don't like gnomes as monsters and tieflings as PCs."

Also, ugly, socially awkward people playing DnD in a restaurant and talking about rape are pretty much the big reason I don't like telling people I know that I play DnD - because they'll probably think I was the kind of person who plays DnD in a restaurant while talking about raping NPCs.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Dystopian Rhetoric posted:

Rogues: Thieves, scoundrels and what-have-you gain a new ability called First Strike (another ripoff from Magic the Gathering).

Does it count as a rip off if it's from the same company?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

lighttigersoul posted:

But the ranger, like the bard, is SUPPOSED to be inherently underpowered. After all, treehuggers need their roleplaying class just as badly as thespians.

Which is another main reason grognards don't like 4e: the bard is actually a great class who's fun to play

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Zombies are dumber than wolves and using "oh they have a will defense" as a rebuttal is retarded. Zombies would be trying to bring down whatever is closest. Your DM is caught in the adversarial DM vs. player mindset. Tell him to stop being a prick and realize that the point of a game is to have fun, not to lay beaten and bloody on the ground while the DM gloats. If he can't have fun watching the party work together to overcome obstacles, maybe he should play a more adversarial game. 4e generally isn't designed for that.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Jesus loving christ who makes a youtube video where they talk about a god damned anime forum for 6 minutes

I loving hate the internet

edit: oh hey, this is the same guy from before who has a bunch of videos of them playing D&D in a restaurant, talking candidly about rape. Suddenly the 6 minutes about an anime forum is not so surprising.

Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 17, 2009

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

Maybe its a Tom Waits impersonation or something.

Now that you mention it, it does kind of sound like a nerd trying to sound cool by impersonating Tom Waits.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I always thought that the composition of that cover is very good (i.e. everyone looks right into the demon's gem-filled eyes immediately upons seeing the book, and you can instantly recognize the book from across a room) but the actual art is quite poor.

Yeah, it's really well laid out but gently caress me is that art (and most previous editions' art) terrible.

4e on the whole is filled with crap ranging from absolutely loving terrible art to kind of okay but rather bland art to incredible art (the dragon snatching the swordfish out of the water in the ECG). On the whole I think the art is better than previous editions. Most of the chapter opener spreads are decent, but I do admit that a vast majority of the covers (like, all of them) are either crappy or just bland.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, if I'm playing a game where a dragondude is breathing acid and hitting things with a gaint gently caress-off hammer, then I really want to see all the crazy, garish poo poo that 4E has put out there for art. I really do love the direction they took.

I love the direction they took too, but god drat sometimes I just don't know.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Martial Power, a halfling-specific rogue paragon path. Halfling bounder I think it is?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

So yesterday was the DMG2 game day! The guy who volunteered to DM at my local store made no effort to hide the fact that he hated 4e, because "4e is basically WoW on paper." He had really basic knowledge of the mechanics, and would rage against 4e every time someone corrected him on stuff like standing from prone not provoking OAs, muttering how stupid the rules were and how we should be playing 3.5.

Though it was pretty cool when we were done and instead of the DM keeping all the monster minis and the players only getting their hero, we rolled d20s and took turns picking single ones.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

He must have wanted those free minis really bad to DM a system he hates.

We had five sets of the game materials/minis for only one group because he told the owner "if it doesn't cost the store anything, order as many as they'll let you," so I'm guessing that yes, he did just really want the minis. At least now he has like sixteen loving minotaurs.

God drat I wish the popular, well-lit, fairly-priced shop in town would start getting in on the game days.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The General posted:

Is there a reason why they don't? Only one store in my city doesn't, and it's because the owner is an idiot without and sense of business. Which is horrible because he's the only guy around with after hours gaming tables.

I haven't asked why, but the next time I do I'll ask (if I remember). It might be because they don't really focus on RPGs (only really play in-store on Saturdays), instead being more of a card game and comic store. Every Friday night the store is loving packed for Friday night Magic.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Thuryl posted:

It's a joke at the expense of those people who won't shut up about how katanas are so much better than European swords and should therefore obviously have far better stats.

He even threw in the "I own one and have been training for years" bit which is probably my favorite part. It's a decent attempt at satire.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The worst part is the line "Lightbulb. Terrible, terrible lightbulb." Because I can just picture this filthy creepy guy's face lighting up as he comes up with the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

mandrake776 posted:

- There is no such thing as a racial feat. Feats that are an expansion to a racial power are banned. Feats that add new functionality altogether (like Dwarven Stoneblood or Draconic Arrogance) are open to all races.

Genasi just got boring as poo poo.