Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

The General posted:

Holy poo poo. I skipped to the tl;dr part and then he kept going! This man has anger like no other!

I honestly, honestly do not want to see what he has to say about 4E.

Yes I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

opaopa13 posted:

Enjoy!

This review feels a lot like a summer movie blockbuster sequel to me. A whole lot more flash and even less substance than its predecessor. More than that, though, this doesn't move gaming journalism forward at all. There isn't anything quite in-depth, or new or daring. In fact, mister Wick himself has become... what's the right word?

Oh, yeah. Bland.

:smug:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ZorbaTHut posted:

I sort of want to record one of our sessions and post it just to make grognards hate us :3:

YESSSS

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

toddster posted:

@alanQuatermain @toddster That *is* a valid reason to dislike #dnd 4E. Minis wargaming is not role-playing, it's a distraction from RPG.

First off, how in the hell does a sticker on a mini make D&D like WoW? And how does having sticker-covered minis in front of you make it impossible to roleplay? I get the feeling these guys don't actually follow Kiko's game sessions on Twitter, their games have more RP in them than I've seen in most 3.5 games.

Edit: Good thing this guy's continuing to offer such rational arguments.

How can one utterly say that if you can just cater your own 4E game to your players' wishes and preferences re. the amount of RP and combat :psyduck:

That is my biggest problem with all these gronarded gits spewing their bile over 4E. I just can't grasp it.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

P.S. That Corgi is awesome, and I am totally going to have a Corgi NPC show up in my campaign. Its name will not be Ein.

Call it Twee :3:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

crime fighting hog posted:

Fourth edition sucks because Wi$ards came and burnt all my 2nd edition stuff

I now cannot play 2nd edition with 4th out, even if they did not literally break into my house to destroy all my documentation, books, campaign notes and houserule write-ups. We are forced to play this newfangled rehaul of Palladium (there I said it :smug:) boohoo :sigh:

I should stop reading these. The amount of RP you bring into the game is the amount of RP you get back at you, it's still a group roleplaying game; why is it still a talking point and an argument against 4E for god's sake :psyduck:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Dystopian Rhetoric posted:

bad at math

My current 4th level Brutal Rogue has taken Backstabber and an exotic d8 weapon's proficiency as just a few of his feats.

With Low Slash and Sly Lunge, from a flanking position, I can, once an encounter, have him deal no less than 3[W] + DEX mod damage, twice my DEX mod in damage, a bonus d6 in damage from foregoing Sneak Attack on Sly Lunge, 2d8 + STR mod in Sneak Attack damages on Low Slash, and twice my STR mod in damage from my encounter powers for being in a flanking position with an ally.

With this rogue I can, once an encounter, deal 5d8 + 1d6 + 3*DEX + 2*STR damage. Assuming 18 Strength and Dexterity and a +1 weapon, I deal, on average, 51 damage on one particular foe assuming both attacks hit. Usually enough to at the least bloody a foe. Most of the times, however, it utterly slices any opposition in two.

You're not kidding when you say these people have not read anything of the books at all.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kemper Boyd posted:

Did he take the Dragon Fucker feat? Because you know.

In this case, I would allow Dragon Layer to be taken. Much lower level requirement, anyway.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

fugacity posted:

It's a nice combo and all, but where is the extra [1W]+DEX coming from?

Also win for the original grognard comparing a rogue class feature to a warlock daily power.

Oh dear, you might be right :ohdear:

Let's see, 2d8 and 2*DEX on damage from the powers used by themselves.
2d8 + STR from Sneak Attack, and 1d6 from foregoing Sneak Attack on Sly Lunge.
2*STR from the additional bonuses from Sly Lunge and Low Slash from attacking from a flanking position.

That's 4d8 + 1d6 + 2*DEX + 3*STR damage. Guess I was off after all, mixing up STR with DEX and off by 1d8. I was doing this from the top of my head before. Whoops.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

crime fighting hog posted:

Third edition was easily better. Rather than forcing the player to buy multiple players' handbooks just to have a decent variety in characters, 3rd provided a decent fantasy world that had large variety while not making the players feel like they are part of a fixed universe. 4th has some of the worst ideas ever for starting races, dragonborn and tieflings, as well as an ugly / WoW influenced art style that betrays the game's roots. Monsters are handled poorly, and not as easy to convert to PCs.

But. I. :psyduck:

Two stat increments.
A skill bonus.
A suitable encounter power or at-will.

How much easier can you make creating PC's besides reskinning the available races? What more do these people want?!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Bieeardo posted:

All I can see is a Mark V Ogre with flesh-tone main cannons... :gonk:

Are we sure this isn't Slaanesh Cultist stuff? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Stuntman Mike posted:

Wow, you've got mine beat. Is that from the BoEF?

Yes.