Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phat_Albert posted:

My local Suzuki dealer generally has at least one in stock. They're pretty popular. If you're a short guy, it would behoove you to sit on one for a while and see how you like it.

I am 6' 2" so unless it is like an old-world bicycle it shouldn't be that bad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

pr0zac posted:

Got any pictures? I put a small hole in my tank that I repaired with JB weld and I'm considering replacing it with the Clarke's tank, just seems to look a little goofy to me.

Sure I'll put up some pics when I get home. Honestly it doesn't look that much different then the regular metal tank, and its nice because you can see how much gas you have left. My only complaint is that when the tank gets low, the gas on the right side won't flow over to the left side. You have to put it up on the kickstand and tilt it over.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I don't think the DUKE I, II or 690 technically count as supermotos but whatever. Here is mine :D

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? I know there's a number of Sumo orgs out here in Cali, as well as some weekend races at the kart tracks.

I'm in Phoenix, but God, Allah, Buddha, and that crazy Sumerian goat lord willing, I'll be relocating to Northern California for school in the next couple of years.

I know there's a pretty active SuMo scene down in Tucson, and looking at message boards there seems to be a couple of dozen guys here in the valley that could potentially be enough to get some of the kart tracks booked for a few hours a week. I'm just trying to decide how many wheels I want to race on, what's going to be the most fun for me, and how much money I'm willing to burn to do it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Did he have any mods to the bike?

I should have mentioned that in the post but that was probably the coolest part was he didnt. Bone stock, except for a slightly more street oriented DS tire.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

I don't think the DUKE I, II or 690 technically count as supermotos but whatever. Here is mine :D

I dont really think the Duke, or the SMR do either. They're more like really well-sprung adventure bikes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Be aware that the TT gurus think the recommended change interval on the SM is far too long. I think they recommend something like 1500 miles for changes, less if you are raging on it.

A thing to remember with lots of aftermarket tanks is they really change the angle of the front of the seat, and if you plan on doing lots of aggressive riding it may not allow you to get right onto the front of the seat. My YZ had an aftermarket seat and it really hosed the riding position. It'd be fine for slabbing or normal twisties, but I imagine for real racing you'd want a nice flat seat.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

pr0zac posted:

Basically the idea is it lets you square off the corner a lot more, scrub off speed faster, and get on the throttle sooner. Also it looks awesome.

http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20Tech%20stories/iss2_backitin.pdf

I've been looking for this kind of document for weeks. Thanks!

Edit to crosspost this from the pics 'n' vids thread;

Been having fun 'shopping new vinyl designs for my KTM;

Original;

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

What do you reckon?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2009

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Gr3y posted:

Okay, so after I fix a bunch of other poo poo in my life, I'm thinking about getting into racing. Right now I've gotten in narrowed down to:
1. A supermoto
2. A shifter cart
3. Buying another Miata and possibly doing a Spec conversion on it.

Do any of you guys race sumos competitively? If so is there a national sanctioning body to sign up with or is it mostly local clubs? How much do you need to transport to the track?

Do you steeple chase like on dirt bikes?

And most importantly: Is that poo poo as fun as it looks? Because it looks like you should be cackling like a maniac from start to finish.

Here is the way that I look at it, option two would allow the most pure racing experience in terms of vehicle performance and stuff option 1 would be the most unique racing experience and option three is pretty cool, but you would be in a miata.

Something to consider is that if you really want to get into racing, you will be the owner of a vehicle that is not street legal. As much as I like my DRZ, it cannot compete with the big boys. The local sumo league put the drz'z in with the novice and lower displacement bikes if I remember correctly. If you want to get into sumo racing, you will be buying something in the 450cc range. I must admit that I had the most fun on a borrowed crf100 at the track.

Do you mean like a hare scramble? Only if you trade out your wheels for the ones that came on the dirt version of the bike that have knobbies on them.

How do you feel about being 10–20 feet in the air with a motorcycle between your legs?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

stizu posted:

Here is the way that I look at it, option two would allow the most pure racing experience in terms of vehicle performance and stuff option 1 would be the most unique racing experience and option three is pretty cool, but you would be in a miata.
There is nothing wrong with a Miata. Only fags and little girls don't like those cars.

stizu posted:

Something to consider is that if you really want to get into racing, you will be the owner of a vehicle that is not street legal. As much as I like my DRZ, it cannot compete with the big boys. The local sumo league put the drz'z in with the novice and lower displacement bikes if I remember correctly. If you want to get into sumo racing, you will be buying something in the 450cc range. I must admit that I had the most fun on a borrowed crf100 at the track.
What do you mean by really get into racing. I'm not looking at this as a career, I don't think I have the talent to be the next Andrette or Spies, nor the wherewithall to even try to be anything more than a weekend warrior. Novice and low class sums me up pretty well. In all things.

stizu posted:

Do you mean like a hare scramble? Only if you trade out your wheels for the ones that came on the dirt version of the bike that have knobbies on them.

I've heard that the dirt portion of a SuMo race incorporates "mild" jumps. Is that more the exception than the rule? Or is that reserved for MX racing?

stizu posted:

How do you feel about being 10–20 feet in the air with a motorcycle between your legs?
That sounds loving awesome. But I'd probably wind up coughing up my testes afterward... probably totally worth it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Just saw a VStrom 650 in person today while I was at the dealer getting tired mounted and it has made me lust over it again. Why do so many motorcycles have to be so awesome :(

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

dietcokefiend posted:

Just saw a VStrom 650 in person today while I was at the dealer getting tired mounted and it has made me lust over it again. Why do so many motorcycles have to be so awesome :(

Don't take it out for a test spin, because then you'll truly be hosed.

Out of curiosity, what's it like, sliding a sumo around in the dirt sections? I assume that the tyres are either full slick, or treaded road tyres, and thus would fare pretty poorly on the dirt.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Gr3y posted:

There is nothing wrong with a Miata. Only fags and little girls don't like those cars.

What do you mean by really get into racing. I'm not looking at this as a career, I don't think I have the talent to be the next Andrette or Spies, nor the wherewithall to even try to be anything more than a weekend warrior. Novice and low class sums me up pretty well. In all things.

I've heard that the dirt portion of a SuMo race incorporates "mild" jumps. Is that more the exception than the rule? Or is that reserved for MX racing?

That sounds loving awesome. But I'd probably wind up coughing up my testes afterward... probably totally worth it.

I am sure that I would have a blast doing spec miata, just that it wouldn't be my choice of the three.

Most of the dudes out here race 450cc, almost all of the racers in the lower classes, save novice and drz are the same riders. None of these guys have any delusions of going pro either. If you plan on racing in the lower classes, you're in luck! Around here we have a 150cc and below class and it is a blast. One caveat is that you may not be able to clear that table top or triple.

Here is a jump from one of the more bizarre tracks in the world from bulgaria,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0-59v2mrU&feature=related

There are jumps that are more crazy such as that uphill double at one of the xgames. In truth, you are unlikely to see supercross style jumps in local tracks, in fact not all of my local tracks have jumps in them.

There is also the sportsman category where you can run a dirtbike w/o much modification. You just need to find street tires for whatever size wheels are on there. This might me a good way of getting into the sport with a big bike with out a huge investment up front. Then, as you go along you can drop the extra couple thou to turn it full on sumo.

As a drz owner and someone who has ridden a few different bikes on the track, the drz isn't really suited for it. Just sayin'

I guess I should have said, "have you ever been 10–20 feet in the air with a motorcycle between your legs?", because I thought that it would be totally awesome as well. Turned out that I found it more of an obstacle, not unlike a tight turn. Jumps are a essential part of the experience and they are exhilarating.

Simkin posted:

Out of curiosity, what's it like, sliding a sumo around in the dirt sections? I assume that the tyres are either full slick, or treaded road tyres, and thus would fare pretty poorly on the dirt.
As long as the dirt is pretty well packed, it isn't much different than a regular dirt bike, the suspension is similar and such. On the other hand, there is a track near me that has a pretty sandy dirt section that you pretty much have to walk it through the corners.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

pr0zac posted:

I actually have an extra unused pair if someone needs them.

Unused E cables or the original SM one? I'm hoping to have my new FCR39 within a month. If it's the E cable, how much do you want for it?

Also, how do you know you have a vacuum leak? How does one tell or go about diagnosing that?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Unused E cables or the original SM one? I'm hoping to have my new FCR39 within a month. If it's the E cable, how much do you want for it?

Also, how do you know you have a vacuum leak? How does one tell or go about diagnosing that?

I've got unused E cables, the correct ones to use with the FCR39. They cost me $38.50 + shipping from TT, I'll let em go for say $32 shipped? Email me (link in profile) if you want em and we can work something out. Probably costing myself $32 here, but you might wanna try the FCR with your stock cables. Phat_Albert had pretty good luck using the stock ones, mine just might have been stretched out or something.

As far as the vacuum leak, its intermittent, but the idle surges sometimes, gaining and losing RPMs, and letting off throttle it occasionally takes a second or two for the RPMs to drop back down. That and the rubber vacuum hose is really beat-up and loose. I'm not 100% sure its vacuum, but its possible and an easy fix so I'm hoping.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

pr0zac posted:

I've got unused E cables, the correct ones to use with the FCR39. They cost me $38.50 + shipping from TT, I'll let em go for say $32 shipped? Email me (link in profile) if you want em and we can work something out. Probably costing myself $32 here, but you might wanna try the FCR with your stock cables. Phat_Albert had pretty good luck using the stock ones, mine just might have been stretched out or something.

As far as the vacuum leak, its intermittent, but the idle surges sometimes, gaining and losing RPMs, and letting off throttle it occasionally takes a second or two for the RPMs to drop back down. That and the rubber vacuum hose is really beat-up and loose. I'm not 100% sure its vacuum, but its possible and an easy fix so I'm hoping.

So the email function is disabled right now. Can you email me at my username at gmail? I'll probably be interested since I'm pretty anal about not having much slack in my throttle.

Also, HNASTY that Husky is sick.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Yay Supermoto thread!

This is my baby, '03 KTM 660 SMC

Currently it looks something like this, in the process of making it shine like a diamond!

The Snow is rapidly malting here now, hoping to take it out around easter!

Also thanks to no battery and electric start, this is how you fire it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2jiWciVw4
Sucks when it's cold :P

nskowyra
Jul 25, 2007
Vice President of Cool

Valfar posted:

Also thanks to no battery and electric start, this is how you fire it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2jiWciVw4
Sucks when it's cold :P

kick starts are so badass

something about always having a way to physically start your bike, even if it takes a hundred tries with the throttle open in the cold.

im convinced thats also why my bike has yet to be stolen

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
The local used bike/Benelli bike dealership has this pretty sweet looking SM for $7k. It's a BMW G650 with like 250 miles on it.. I don't think I'm about to trade my Buell and/or KLR in just yet, but I'd considered it a time or two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

The local used bike/Benelli bike dealership has this pretty sweet looking SM for $7k. It's a BMW G650 with like 250 miles on it.. I don't think I'm about to trade my Buell and/or KLR in just yet, but I'd considered it a time or two.

350lbs dude. Your klr doesn't weight that much does it? I know that the klr is a poor choice for conversion, but if you think that the bmw might suit you, you could just buy a bigger front brake and a set of seventeens. Maybe later, change the suspension.

edit: for about the same price you can likely get a husky 510 new, it makes about the same power and should weigh about 100lbs less.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 21, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

stizu posted:

350lbs dude. Your klr doesn't weight that much does it? I know that the klr is a poor choice for conversion, but if you think that the bmw might suit you, you could just buy a bigger front brake and a set of seventeens. Maybe later, change the suspension.

edit: for about the same price you can likely get a husky 510 new, it makes about the same power and should weigh about 100lbs less.
wow, 350? that's nuts, I don't see how something that small would weigh that much. Is the exhaust made of lead?

I wasn't considering converting the KLR necessarily for the exact reasons you talked about.. it can be done, but the ones i've seen look a little :pwn: and frankly, I lack the facilities for much mechanical work at my condo.

I'll probably stick with my Buell for now, as it's does as well cruising on the highways and still does pretty well through curves too. I may consider a DRZ400, but likely in the -E setup for dual-sporting. There's a bit of job-insecurity floating around at my company right now though, so I need to make sure I still have a job before making any other bike changes. :(

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm planning on taking the intro SM class with the https://www.supermotoschools.com on April 20th in Sacramento, if anyone else was thinking about taking one. Should be fun.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Why can't anyone just make a motard that doesn't need frequent oil changes and valve adjustments, is over 400ccs, and isn't super pricey? Maybe I'm asking for too much, I'd also like a decent sized gas tank.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ with big-bore kit and an oversized tank yo.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
I want a supermoto RIGHT NOW :mad:

In terms of maintenance how do the KTMs, Aprllias and Huskys compare to the DRZ400SM? If I ever get one I'll probably use it for commuting, so I don't want to be messing with it every weekend.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
From what I've read the Aprilia SXVs are a maintenance nightmare but some people do report the 550 going up to 140 mph. Haven't done too much research on the others but I think the KTM 690 is what I'd be looking for if I had the money to spend.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Confirmed: DRZ's hold up pretty good to being 12 oclocked. Shift lever and tail light took 85% percent of the damage.

\/\/\/ Yes, it came out looking exactly like that. Down to the tape job.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2009

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

From what I've read the Aprilia SXVs are a maintenance nightmare but some people do report the 550 going up to 140 mph. Haven't done too much research on the others but I think the KTM 690 is what I'd be looking for if I had the money to spend.

If I were a rich man I'd probably pickup a Husqvarna SM610 myself. Seems like a good balance between lightweight and oh-poo poo power.

Spiffness posted:

Confirmed: DRZ's hold up pretty good to being 12 oclocked. Shift lever and tail light took 85% percent of the damage.

Sounds like you did the exact same thing I did, cept I bent my foot peg instead of breaking a lever.

Its the source of my taillight-held-together-by-scotch-tape mod:

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Spartak posted:

I want a supermoto RIGHT NOW :mad:

In terms of maintenance how do the KTMs, Aprllias and Huskys compare to the DRZ400SM? If I ever get one I'll probably use it for commuting, so I don't want to be messing with it every weekend.

From what I have heard, as long as you get a street legal ktm, they are every bit as reliable as a drz and have similar maintenance intervals. I have not heard many good things about the reliability of the aprillia and I haven't heard much of anything about the huskies. I do want a husky 510 rather bad though.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but a good place to go for sumo info is https://www.supermotojunkie.com yes, it is spelled wrong.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

\/\/\/ Yes, it came out looking exactly like that. Down to the tape job.

I give it an A+, would loop again.

"Would <blank> again" isn't a probatable phrase is it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stizu posted:

From what I have heard, as long as you get a street legal ktm, they are every bit as reliable as a drz and have similar maintenance intervals. I have not heard many good things about the reliability of the aprillia and I haven't heard much of anything about the huskies. I do want a husky 510 rather bad though.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but a good place to go for sumo info is https://www.supermotojunkie.com yes, it is spelled wrong.

My roomate had a KTM Supermoto at the same time as I had my DRZ. While I wont say it wasnt reliable, it did require alot more maintenance than my DRZ.

I know the "lol KTM rattles parts off left and right" is a tired cliche at this point, but it has its base in the truth. That bike was a constant game of finding loose parts and locktite-ing them before they fell off on the road. More than once he would come home and his rear blinkers would be dangling by the wires.

The exhaust was also a constant tightening struggle for some reason.

It was also very prone to flooding and vapor locking for some reason. That being said, it never did leave him stranded, it just wasnt the "push the button and go" vehicle that my DRZ was.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

My roomate had a KTM Supermoto at the same time as I had my DRZ. While I wont say it wasnt reliable, it did require alot more maintenance than my DRZ.

I know the "lol KTM rattles parts off left and right" is a tired cliche at this point, but it has its base in the truth. That bike was a constant game of finding loose parts and locktite-ing them before they fell off on the road. More than once he would come home and his rear blinkers would be dangling by the wires.

The exhaust was also a constant tightening struggle for some reason.

It was also very prone to flooding and vapor locking for some reason. That being said, it never did leave him stranded, it just wasnt the "push the button and go" vehicle that my DRZ was.

Keep in mind, what I have heard is also from the same people that will have you believe that the drz is a sissy bike and may say anything to justify that. I never thought much of it because that is what I have heard so much and nobody has said different.

Funny though, my drz has been laid down, mostly at 0mph, many times and nothing has fallen off. Well, my clutch lever is shorter than it used to be. I like it shorter and I will probably replace it with a shorty lever if I do.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You can do many things to a DRZ to give it some more balls. There are 60 HP DRZs out there.

DRZ 480's with the FCR and engine work look like a ton of fun.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Does it make basically no sense at all to take a dirtbike and convert to a street legal SM? Adding wheels, tires, brakes, lines, speedo, lights, and license seems like a bitch.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Does it make basically no sense at all to take a dirtbike and convert to a street legal SM? Adding wheels, tires, brakes, lines, speedo, lights, and license seems like a bitch.

Depends on where you live and what bike you're talking about. As already discussed, most dirtbikes aren't designed to be street ridden from a cooling and maintenance standpoint. I would think a DRZ400 E - the offroad model would be a good choice. It's lighter and makes a bit more power out of the box, and all the S/SM stuff bolts right up. It also depends on what state you live in if you can even plate a dirtbike.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I really, really want a KTM 950SM but the fuel range is a bit stingy for the longer rides I occasionally have to do. In a perfect world, I'd keep my SV for long ride and get a KTM for commuting and weekend fun but I can't afford to insure two bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've wanted a motard for a while now. For as little long-distance riding as I actually do I should just go ahead and sell my FJR, buy the motard (I really like the 690 SMR but a SM610 would get the job done too) and pocket the change. :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

It generally doesnt make much sense unless you're racing. By the time you take a 450 or whatever, and buy wheels and tires, different gearing, the proper brake disks for the rims, revalve the suspension for the street (if you're really going to do it right), add a lighting coil, put in the wiring, lighting and switches to make it street legal, and jump through the registration hoops, you generally could have just bought a supermoto.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

gently caress my gay life I want to trade my R6 in for a DRZ-SM. I can't ride the thing anywhere to its capacity in Washington whereas when I borrow Spiffness' DRZ everything is super fun and I don't have to constantly hold myself back. gently caress Supersports in non-Los Angeles urban environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Phat_Albert posted:

It generally doesnt make much sense unless you're racing. By the time you take a 450 or whatever, and buy wheels and tires, different gearing, the proper brake disks for the rims, revalve the suspension for the street (if you're really going to do it right), add a lighting coil, put in the wiring, lighting and switches to make it street legal, and jump through the registration hoops, you generally could have just bought a supermoto.

What about getting a used (road legal) xr500-600 or something and slapping some 17" rims on it? Cos that's what I want to do :haw:

But then again, that would probably be narrowly cheaper than a second hand DRZ. I guess the only problem would be finding one that wasn't thrashed, which they all probably would be.

Spartak fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2009

• Locked thread