Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Spent about 3 hours today playing in the dirt.

People kept stopping to tell me I was crazy. Great fun.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

Gnaghi posted:

I was really tempted to ride up the sidewalk and across the crosswalk instead of waiting for the light to turn green but I played it safe and my Husky ended up shooting steam out of the radiator expansion tank! Just something to think about.

This have happened to me too several times. No radiator fan and kick-start only is really fun in city traffic with tons of stop lights on hot days!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I test rode a Husqvarna SM510R this week, and Oh my god! I didn't try to do a single wheelie on my test ride, but the Husky was having none of that and did wheelie every time I even thought about touching the throttle.

I think I could handle valve checks and oil changes every 1500 miles, but the connecting rod needing to be replaced at 6,000 miles? I mean, the connecting rod? Really?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm assuming with intervals like that, the crank is probably also a consumable? :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Oh gently caress it, I'll just by a new one every year. :)

Edit: What are the chances I'll even make it 6000 miles before I bust it into a million pieces trying to jump a dumpster.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 26, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Zool posted:

Oh gently caress it, I'll just by a new one every year. :)

Edit: What are the chances I'll even make it 6000 miles before I bust it into a million pieces trying to jump a dumpster.

Reading supermoto junkie it seems like some blow up at 2000 miles and some last 15000. I'd like to think it's because some people take care of them and some don't, not just pure luck. Maybe when mine gets its dealer checkup next week I'll ask how much a replacement motor for it costs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pissing coolant at lights and needing to replace major engine parts relatively often is why so many people in here are very cautious about recommending "real" supermoto bikes for street riding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

I think I could handle valve checks and oil changes every 1500 miles, but the connecting rod needing to be replaced at 6,000 miles? I mean, the connecting rod? Really?

Seconding n8rs feelings. This is why a DRZ with a FCRMX carb, a pipe and cam will be a better supermoto than most "real" supermotos will ever be.

Will it beat them on the dyno? No. But it will take all the abuse you can throw at it, it'll make enough power to keep most anyone happy, and wont make you adjust the valves and rering the piston every other mile.

Seriously. LOL at a conrod as a consumable part, thats just stupid.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
I just tried a friend's drz that he's selling and holy poo poo if that is not sex on wheels. At first the turn in surprised me - at low speeds it just wants to turn itself. Then once I got the hang of it I realized how useful it is to get the bike pointed where you want REALLY fast. Speedbumps, potholes, nothing would stop this thing. Gobs of torque compared to my ex-500. Roads kind of suck in general so I can definitely see the appeal on that alone. I eyed every single sidewalk for a chance for some shenanigans but pussed out due to inexperience and pesky pedestrians. kidding kidding. Love the bike, just need to figure out if 2k is too much to spend on a pure entertainment machine. Highway was pretty much miserable because of wind blast and the overall riding position seemed to strain my back (maybe I'm doing it wrong?). Most of my pleasure rides involve some pretty decent highway to get to where the goods are. Also I can just barely flatfoot it which makes me a bit uneasy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You'll grow a new set of motard muscles that'll make the highway easier.

Man up, as they say.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
oops, made a mistake. Was reading through the thread and just typed out drz. Bike I rode was a Honda XR650 with some supermoto conversion. Or something like that. Not sure if that qualifies. Screw it, it was fun as hell.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I rode my XR125L for the first time in months yesterday. My new 400 is currently off the road, and I needed to get to an interview, so I stole my XR back from the friend who's been borrowing. It's not a supermoto, it's a road-orientated dual sport, so quite similar, but I'd forgotten how much fun it is to ride.

There was a huge grin on my face when I finally got to the interview. I'd also forgotten how much a 125 lacks in power, but it makes it more fun when you're full throttle everywhere. Until you reach 55mph and get stuck there. That's not so much fun.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I think I'm doing my FCR carb conversion on Sunday. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need (TT kit, fuel mixture screw, DRZ-E throttle cable just in case).

Any suggestions to give me before I start? Things I should think about? Tricks/tips?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get ready to play with the accelerator pump duration. Mine was way too long.

Also, the carb doesnt look like it will fit in there the first 9 times you try it, but it does fit, its tight, but it fits in there.

Any frustration you experience installing/tuning it will instantly be wiped away the first time you get on the throttle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
T-minus 1 day until I get a KTM 625 SXC with a dirt and supermoto wheelset. Not quite sure how this guy has the thing setup but it should be pretty awesome.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Get ready to play with the accelerator pump duration. Mine was way too long.

Can you explain this a little?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I forget the exact process now, but you can change how long the accelerator pump actually pumps (referred to as duration) when you open the throttle. The DRZ just needs a small shot (probably a second or so). Most of these FCRs come set with a pretty long duration for larger bikes. If you bought a DRZ-specific kit it may be set OK.

You basically have to get the float bowl filled with gas, prime it, and crank the throttle open and count how long the pump sprays fuel for.

Here's some relevant reading material:

http://docta-zaius.freeservers.com/whats_new.html
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228209
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31460

The bike will run pretty crappy when its not set right, so its worth it to make sure its set.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
At the request of Z3n, quick review of the supermoto class I took the other week.

I took the newbie class with http://www.supermotoschools.com at the Prarie City kart track outside Sacramento. Cost was $315 which included the bike rental (Honda 230CRF). There were two instructors and four students which worked out great.

Instruction format was pretty fluid, we started around 10AM walking the track with Brok pointing out different things to keep in mind while riding. After that we were pretty consistently on the bike, with a whole bunch of short breaks to get out of the heat (was 100 degrees that day).

Before lunch we did a few drills to practice certain things like correctly weighing the outside peg, braking, turning the bike in, and body position. The small class size was nice, got a lot of one on one time to get pointers and stuff.

After lunch was pretty much free track time with lots of opportunities to talk to Brok and Seth about what I needed to work on. They let us ride until we wore ourselves out. We switched up the track layout a couple times and even got to ride it backwards. Brok had a DRZ there that he let us try on the track also. Hilariously fast compared to the little 230s. By around 4:30 I could barely walk and called it a day.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the class and the instructors. The only complaint I've got is the lack of totally awesome pictures of me, but thats my own fault for not bringing a camera. Luckily Brok took a few of me. I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable on the DRZ now thanks to the class. Definitely need to get out to some more track days and get better so I can take the advanced class.

And of course pictures:

Click here for the full 1496x900 image.

Click here for the full 1641x1137 image.

Click here for the full 1550x1010 image.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Looks like a blast. I'll have to check out what is available in Arizona. What do you normally ride? I realize you were on a track but could you see yourself commuting on a supermoto (assuming you don't already)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

At the request of Z3n, quick review of the supermoto class I took the other week.

I took the newbie class with http://www.supermotoschools.com at the Prarie City kart track outside Sacramento. Cost was $315 which included the bike rental (Honda 230CRF). There were two instructors and four students which worked out great.

Instruction format was pretty fluid, we started around 10AM walking the track with Brok pointing out different things to keep in mind while riding. After that we were pretty consistently on the bike, with a whole bunch of short breaks to get out of the heat (was 100 degrees that day).

Before lunch we did a few drills to practice certain things like correctly weighing the outside peg, braking, turning the bike in, and body position. The small class size was nice, got a lot of one on one time to get pointers and stuff.

After lunch was pretty much free track time with lots of opportunities to talk to Brok and Seth about what I needed to work on. They let us ride until we wore ourselves out. We switched up the track layout a couple times and even got to ride it backwards. Brok had a DRZ there that he let us try on the track also. Hilariously fast compared to the little 230s. By around 4:30 I could barely walk and called it a day.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the class and the instructors. The only complaint I've got is the lack of totally awesome pictures of me, but thats my own fault for not bringing a camera. Luckily Brok took a few of me. I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable on the DRZ now thanks to the class. Definitely need to get out to some more track days and get better so I can take the advanced class.

And of course pictures:

Click here for the full 1496x900 image.

Click here for the full 1641x1137 image.

Click here for the full 1550x1010 image.

Hrrrm their next date is up at infineon on the 15th...I may have to do that...

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that looks like it would be a really awesome way to spend a weekend.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
drat you Californians, having everything you could want right there.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I forget the exact process now, but you can change how long the accelerator pump actually pumps (referred to as duration) when you open the throttle.

I realized this is the "O-ring mod" I plan on doing before I install it.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Superman!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Number 40 should be able to pull out of that slide okay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

Superman!

Epic tailwhip there.

Starts are always such a clusterfuck. At the last AFM race, we had someone get clipped and dumped and then hit. He shattered his pelvis, femur, and 2 vertebrae. I thought that it was oil from a dumped bike that made up that stain on the front straight...it wasn't :(

Also, am I the only one that thinks that that looks vaugely photoshopped?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Also, am I the only one that thinks that that looks vaugely photoshopped?

pretty good if it is, the shadows are all perfect

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

jdonz posted:

Looks like a blast. I'll have to check out what is available in Arizona. What do you normally ride? I realize you were on a track but could you see yourself commuting on a supermoto (assuming you don't already)?

My usual ride is a DRZ which I commute to work on regularly. Its all surface streets and 50mph roads which its perfect for.

And yes you should do the 15th class z3n. 'Course then you'll have to buy an SM and its all over.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

My usual ride is a DRZ which I commute to work on regularly. Its all surface streets and 50mph roads which its perfect for.

And yes you should do the 15th class z3n. 'Course then you'll have to buy an SM and its all over.

I don't think I can do the 15th class, unfortunantly.

However, they offer personal classes for 1200$ for up to 6 people, and I'm pretty sure I could get 6 people together to go without any issues. That's in Sac though, and I'm not sure how much it'd be for infineon. Either way, I've got a couple of people interested already.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I don't think I can do the 15th class, unfortunantly.

However, they offer personal classes for 1200$ for up to 6 people, and I'm pretty sure I could get 6 people together to go without any issues. That's in Sac though, and I'm not sure how much it'd be for infineon. Either way, I've got a couple of people interested already.

I'd definitely be interested in doing another class with them if you put one together. Keep me on the short list. Contact info's in my profile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I'd definitely be interested in doing another class with them if you put one together. Keep me on the short list. Contact info's in my profile.

Cool, I know how these things go so I figure if I get 12 people who are absolutely confirmed and ready to go we should have about 6 who actually make it. :v:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Paging HNasty to the thread - what were the maintenance intervals on your SM610? Any issues/pains in the rear end?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

As someone who rides and competes with dirtbikes exclusively, I do not see how having any supermoto, be it reliable or race machine, a good idea.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Here's question: Do you motard guys wear different gear than than sportbikers? Or if you ride or have rode both, would you gear up differently?

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

VTNewb posted:

As someone who rides and competes with dirtbikes exclusively, I do not see how having any supermoto, be it reliable or race machine, a good idea.

Why?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sw0cb posted:

Why?
he just hates on anything that works on asphalt.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Here's question: Do you motard guys wear different gear than than sportbikers? Or if you ride or have rode both, would you gear up differently?

I've seen plenty of motard guys wearing normal leather suits. If you look at the picture above they all just have normal suits on. I think they make some specific motard suits that have slightly different bends due to a different seating position (and allowing for the leg out style easier).

They usually ware dirt bike boots or you can buy super moto soles that have much more durable so you aren't constantly going through boots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sw0cb posted:

Why?

Because he's wrong. And what rev said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewby Drewby Drew
Jan 24, 2006

I knew there had to be a supermoto thread.

Hey, that's my bike!

darknrgy posted:

Highway was pretty much miserable because of wind blast and the overall riding position seemed to strain my back (maybe I'm doing it wrong?). Most of my pleasure rides involve some pretty decent highway to get to where the goods are. Also I can just barely flatfoot it which makes me a bit uneasy.

I've done great lengths of hwy riding on a DRZ and a Duke II and it never gets easy, but you get used to it and learn to contort your body and change positions to be able to last those long rides. I just pulled a 375 mile ride last weekend on the Duke.

I'm planning on keeping my 01 Duke II for a little while, but I'd like to get something different in the future. The DRZ SM is pretty much the same weight as the Duke and is 5 speed as well.

I'm thinking a KTM 690 SMC. I like that it's a six speed and at 307 dry it's lighter than the Duke, DRZ SM, and Husqvarna SM610

The only thing is the ridiculous price! Does anyone think it's actually worth it?

• Locked thread