Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

690 you say?

I'd argue it's worth it.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

We might be able to arrange you taking mine out for a lick if you want to try before you buy. That's a purdy Duke too.

The 6th gear helps. I did about a 700 mile day on Saturday and I definitely would not have been able to do that on my old DRZ. My rear end is made of steel.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewby Drewby Drew
Jan 24, 2006

700 miles! Did you end up riding into the great white north?

We did Winthrop and back, that about did me in, and made me realize that a six gear really might be in order soon.

A test ride would be awesome. No wheelies, I promise. Just noticed there's one for sale nearby and I'm very tempted.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Drewby Drewby Drew posted:

No wheelies, I promise.

You might have trouble keeping that promise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

No wheelies, I promise.

Let's not be hasty now. :xd:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

700 miles! Did you end up riding into the great white north?

We did Winthrop and back, that about did me in, and made me realize that a six gear really might be in order soon.

A test ride would be awesome. No wheelies, I promise. Just noticed there's one for sale nearby and I'm very tempted.

Zool and I went east on 20 till 97, then north into canadia land, then west on 3 through the mountains again and back down into Bellingham for the night. It was rather incredible. Felt like quite the feat on a sumo. Amazingly, the brutal 690 seat really didn't bother me that much, but in the last hour before stopping I was getting antsy and the previous 200 miles of 80-90mph cruising without really stopping was starting to take its toll on my upper body.

We can meet up and do a ride swap if you want to take the 690 for a spin. It's almost impossible not to wheelie if you're not used to it so don't go making promises you can't keep :P

It'll have to wait till August though, I'm working non-stop till the 1st and wont have anymore time for riding.

Which works out because my rear tire is about 500 miles past due for being replaced after the last 2 weekends of long rides.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I have always been a really conservative rider on the street. I was that way with my Speed Triple and with my Sprint ST. I've heard people say that if they had a supermoto bike that they would lose their license. Having just traded my Sprint for a Hypermotard S, I now understand where they were coming from. Whiles it's not a true supermoto bike, it is so much easier to ride fast. It handles so much quicker and it is so much lighter than the other bikes I've owned. FUUUUUUUUCK!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supermoto bikes are basically just nice looking ticket printers.

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
so true, the thing with the ticket printers... it's just to easy to go fast in urban areas, and with the "overview" on the traffic, it's a bit safer than normally too.

my everyday challenge is to hold back on the throttle until the motor's a bit warm - so when i get to the "faster" part of my commute, i can have still more fun. riding to work is easily the most enjoyable part of my mornings.

i drive a yamaha xt660x, while not a pure supermoto-bike in the "really-sporty" department, it's a f-ing blast to drive in the mountains and the twisty roads. the very upright position is something to get used to on long trips, because wind-pressure is an issue.

it's got around 50hp, but is quite a bit heavier than the ktms and huskies. on the other hand, it's service-intervalls are set at 10.000 kilometres, compared to 6.000 with a ktm.

i just bought a new helmet with less weight, less features and better aerodynamics in order to cut down on wind-noise and neckstrain - but still, riding the thing to the lakes 50kms from vienna is just cool.

pics of my bike have to be done asap, meanwhile here are the yamaha-photos... i got rid of all the stickers, so now it's pure white (with many interspersed black insect-casualties).

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
another try to add the pic...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Really, really jealous that you can buy something like that - Yamaha doesn't see fit to sell it to NA. :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Phat_Albert posted:

Supermoto bikes are basically just nice looking ticket printers.

Exactly why I went through all the effort and money to mount this:

It actually works really well with the remote display and is loud enough to hear most of the time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

It actually works really well with the remote display and is loud enough to hear most of the time.

As the recent recipient of, what I would consider, a pretty B.S. speeding ticket, tell me everything w/ links :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gnaghi posted:

How the heck do you hide that when you get the ticket? Or are those completely legal where you are?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ziploc posted:

How the heck do you hide that when you get the ticket? Or are those completely legal where you are?

Seems to me you could just put your gloves over it. I always take my gloves off and set them over my cluster when I get pulled over anyway.

EDIT: NOT THAT THAT HAPPENS A LOT

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ziploc posted:

Radar detectors are only illegal to use in Washington DC and Virginia. That doesn't mean the cop won't give you a ticket automatically if they see it, but at least you won't get a ticket for having it on top of the wheelie, burnouts and excessive speeding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In WI, radar detectors are legal, and I've never had a cop even give it a second thought. I know some guys panic and disconnect the whole thing and stick it in their glove box before the cop gets to their car. I cant imagine why they would do that, if the device is legal. Thats like getting a ticket for wearing glasses that help you see cops better, its not illegal.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It's legal here. Once a cop told me to lose it but most ignore them. I've had one since I was 18 and they are definitely a useful tool. Now I have two and don't move any vehicle unless it's on.

The problem with the supermoto is I have to run it right off the battery, since at idle the thing will literally turn off and on. I really need to figure out how this goddamn kickstarter works.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gnaghi posted:

The problem with the supermoto is I have to run it right off the battery, since at idle the thing will literally turn off and on. I really need to figure out how this goddamn kickstarter works.

I had a lend of a buddys ktm 525 exc sumo conversion for the last week, battery is dead so its kick only, made the mistake of going out for a spin wearing soft soled runners.
Called to a friends house then mangled my foot trying to kick it after it kicked back the first attempt and bruised the sole of my foot pretty badly.
Funnest bike i've ever ridden, scary weave at speeds over 80 mph though.

edit how do i delete attachments :( uploaded the un-resized pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 25, 2009

Drewby Drewby Drew
Jan 24, 2006

Zool posted:

You might have trouble keeping that promise.

Z3n posted:

Let's not be hasty now. :xd:

Hahaha...I can be good :angel:

Spiffness posted:

We can meet up and do a ride swap if you want to take the 690 for a spin. It's almost impossible not to wheelie if you're not used to it so don't go making promises you can't keep :P

It'll have to wait till August though, I'm working non-stop till the 1st and wont have anymore time for riding.

Which works out because my rear tire is about 500 miles past due for being replaced after the last 2 weekends of long rides.

I hear yah. I actually need to get a new set of tires for the Duke as well. Went on a ride out to Neah Bay last weekend and they're definitely past due.

The next week is going to be work crazy for me, but we should definitely meet up soon for a ride.

My Duke and I from a recent HWY20 ride...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have that exact same photograph from 2 weekends ago.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Which supermotards are good for not very tall people? I'm 175cm and found a KTM 620 (or whatever it was) a bit too high. I could probably live with it but would still prefer a bike I can flat foot.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The only SM's you'll be able to flat foot are going to be around 200 CC I imagine. Unless you drop the ride height yourself. US SM's are tall bikes. Europe has some shorter ones I believe, but in the states, you either have to have long legs or one-foot talent.

Unless you make your own street legal SM out of a bike you do fit on.

Whitesnake_2!
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn
KTM 690 is by far the best sumo bike for street riders. It has the power of a race 450 (about 60hp) and it has the durability of the drz. Plus it's only 307lbs!

They're popping up on various boards for sale used by now. If I wasn't spending money on racing I'd probably have one.

Drewby Drewby Drew
Jan 24, 2006

Spiffness posted:

I have that exact same photograph from 2 weekends ago.

Except the bike in the photo is a little bit nicer. ;)

Someday soon...

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Whitesnake_2! posted:

KTM 690 is by far the best sumo bike for street riders. It has the power of a race 450 (about 60hp) and it has the durability of the drz. Plus it's only 307lbs!

They're popping up on various boards for sale used by now. If I wasn't spending money on racing I'd probably have one.

Do you know the monster you've created man?! I had finally decided on a nice DRZ-SM, and figured KTMs and whatnot were out of my league, but now for just a little bit more I can have this awesome machine, either in Duke form or SM trim.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Whitesnake_2! posted:

KTM 690 is by far the best sumo bike for rich street riders. It has the power of a race 450 (about 60hp) and it has the durability of the drz. Plus it's only 307lbs!

They cost nearly twice as much as a DRZ in Australia. :mad:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Should I have to fill up the DRZ every 65 miles? Changing the carb seems to have really limited my range. Just wondering if this is normal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

Should I have to fill up the DRZ every 65 miles? Changing the carb seems to have really limited my range. Just wondering if this is normal.

My DRZ had the high compression gasket and the FCR carb, exhaust and intake mod and I could still get 100-115 miles before hitting reserve. Somethings not right if your only getting 65 or maybe you're the most XTREME DRZ rider on the street ever.

AkrisD posted:

Do you know the monster you've created man?! I had finally decided on a nice DRZ-SM, and figured KTMs and whatnot were out of my league, but now for just a little bit more I can have this awesome machine, either in Duke form or SM trim.

They are worlds better than DRZ's as far as street sumo's go, but you pay that top tier premium on them. Also, the 690 is quite a lot of bike to handle at times. I don't remember if your shopping for your first bike or not but if so I would advise against starting on a 690. They are monsters. The torque and brakes take a lot of respect.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 31, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get ready for the latest in thread title related internet comedy gold

The motivational poster!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Looks like both ends have let go, judging from the skid marks. I'd say that's a pretty well timed photo of a highside (if he catches it).

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Took a few pics of the ride today.

God I love this machine, but it does make me do some weird stuff. "Oh hay riding over this lawn seems like a good idea!".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
With the Thor graphics and all, I'm suprised you didn't park it on some old lady or something.

Whitesnake_2!
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

AkrisD posted:

ha! Both are solid bikes, but the KTM is a noticeable step up.

Duke vs SM: is that just deciding if you want clip-ons or a regular handlebar?

e; I've had the pleasure of riding a 690 Enduro around for about 300 miles. I was giggling so much it hurt. I can't imagine having 17" sportbike tires on that beast.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Duke vs SM: is that just deciding if you want clip-ons or a regular handlebar?

690 Duke doesn't have as much ground clearance as the exhaust is mounted under the frame.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's also got love it or hate it looks (I think it looks pretty good).

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

FYI for everyone in this thread: The X Games Supermoto final will be on ABC tomorrow in the 3 - 6 ET time slot. Unfortunately, James Stewart (Supercross badass) suffered an injury in qualifying and won't be starting as scheduled, but it should still make for a good race.

ESPN lists it as the last event of the day, but doesn't specify a time so DVR the whole thing just to be sure.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Spiffness posted:

It's also got love it or hate it looks (I think it looks pretty good).

I love the 07-08(?) 690SM because they look a little different. Then they went and made it look like a regular old dirtbike with the newer ones.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

AkrisD posted:

I love the 07-08(?) 690SM because they look a little different. Then they went and made it look like a regular old dirtbike with the newer ones.

the new ones look just like the 08 SMCs did (different model) and have the same features but they jacked the price up by 20%

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Ah, I see now. When looking at pics I guess I was seeing a lot more pics of the SMC since it's newer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewby Drewby Drew
Jan 24, 2006

Man, I laugh so hard whenever I see an 08 690sm after the guys over at advrider started making this comparison:

• Locked thread