Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
Just ordered an '09 DRZ400SM, fitted with Pro Circuit header and muffler and a jet kit on delivery! Some dealerships in AU are throwing them away these days, I can only assume the '10 is coming? AU $9250 on the road exhaust and all.

Should pick it up next weekend :pervert: - it's my 'moving to a house with a triple garage' gift.

the letter b fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Congrats, you'll love it! They're a ball of fun.

Say what you will about the KTM's being faster, or whatever, but the DRZ was a hell of a bike, and I miss mine every day. I'll buy one again some day.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 8, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phats right. Drz's are charming buckets of fun. I still go visit mine (passed down to my little brother) and have a ton of fun. Congrats!

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
Yeah, I went for that end mostly because of cost, I wanted to get a motard ever since I rode a buddy's for a day, but the KTM's are not far off twice the price here. I had a hard enough time convicing my other half that we needed to have 3 bikes and 2 cars in the garage, so thought it best to keep the costs down :)

Little does she know I'll still be spending us out of house and home with the aftermarket on these things.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
So I got the bike a couple of days ago, and fitted the exhaust today. Pro Circuit T4 full system.. The thing sounds nuts with the baffle out! I've got a box full of nice things on the way from Langston Racing and a jet kit ready for me to cut a hole in the airbox next weekend.

First impressions:

1. These bikes turn you in to a criminal
2. There is no shortage of people to encourage you to be a criminal when they see the bike

Oh god, what have I done? :ohdear:

Here it is sleeping in it's new home after a big day of new tyre scrubbing.

Brown Bread
Aug 21, 2004

PEDOPHILE NAZI-APOLOGIST
I'm so loving tempted by this thread, I'm waiting for an insurance claim to come through on my stolen CBR600, so when I get the money I may have to get a DRZ or KTM 690. I've been a sucker for the KTM's after going out riding with a couple of friends who both rode KTM supermoto's and they looked more fun than anything I've seen so far. They sound awesome and I remember being at the lights behind my one friend and getting a face/mouth full of his exhaust, because the 690's exhaust is conveniently placed and angled to fire gobs of carbon monoxide in a 6ft tall sports bike rider's face.

Anyway I ride a lot, not long distance trips but I commute every day and I'm always on the bike just riding for the hell of it, and I'm wondering bad in comparison to the DRZ a KTM will be consumable/maintenance wise with very regular use (I do about 6-8000 miles a year)?

I'm definitely going to get a test ride on them both sometime this week though.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Just remember that Motard is dangerously close to Retard. I've done things the last couple days that puts me in the latter category...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Owning both the DRZ and the KTM (starting to feel like a broken record in this thread), the KTM is worlds beyond the DRZ when it comes to freeway riding. I've done a 700+ mile day on the 690 and while I wouldn't say it was comfy, not by any means, but it was possible and the bike has no problem cruising 75-85 all day, whereas the DRZ gets a little wheezy at about 70 MPH. The S doesn't the problem as bad but the SM doesn't like long trips.

But they are totally different SM price brackets too. There are a ton of cheap DRZ's to be had, and almost zero cheap 690's. Its the difference between a 8-11k bike and a 3-5k bike.

Which one is more fun? I adore my DRZ still, but I couldn't see owning one as an only bike and only form of transport. I use my 690 as my only vehicle. Don't think the DRZ has that versatility.

Both are amazing bikes but they aren't quite the same segment.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
I just got home from my first miserable weather commute on the DRZ, I only commute between 21 and 30 kilometers.

My choice is 2km of main roads + 18km of freeway + 1km of suburban streets or;

30km of main roads and suburban streets, probably 15km of each

Today it was very very wet and very very windy, with some hail thrown in for good measure, so I chose to take the 30km route to keep my speed down, and also avoid some very windy parts of the freeway that open up on to some empty plains.

I must say, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it is pretty miserable. There is 0 wind protection, which is bad enough when it's not raining/hailing. I'm also new to the riding position and handling characteristics, so I was consistently nervous about lowsiding on a wet/oily corner (I'm sure I'll get used to that in no time).

My other bike is an '06 Transalp, which has a surprisingly effective screen and fairing, is like a couch to sit on, and has been through similar commutes plenty of times. I have no issue riding that thing in any weather this city has thrown at me.

For some reason it rarely rains in the morning here in Melbourne, so I'll rarely be tempted to take the transalp to work over the DRZ, so I'll have my fair share of opportunities to practice the miserable trip home.

I've taken it on a couple of 100km+ rides and my rear end, neck muscles and leg muscles will probably not tolerate much more than double that. Especially not for days on end.

In summary - I agree with Spiffness about the bike's versatility - if it's your only vehicle, it's probably not up to scratch.

hosed if I'd ever get rid of the thing though :v:

In the first 7 days of owning the bike I've had 10 wheelie requests. One from a train driver, while he was driving said train. :dance:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Rain riding a sumo is great because the rain hits your neck and drips straight down your jacket.

Brown Bread
Aug 21, 2004

PEDOPHILE NAZI-APOLOGIST
I test rode a DRZ today, it was fun, but it didn't have enough grunt for my liking. It was the easiest bike I've ever ridden though, even more so than the bikes I did my test on and this is probably why I felt it was a bit lacking as I felt I could've handled more.

Anyway my friend has a KTM 660 he's looking to get sell, he already has a 525, so I'm gonna give that a test ride soon and I can't loving wait.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The 660 is going to feel like a different world power wise, but also be much less forgiving and possibly vibrate out all your fillings.

Ultimately you'll fall in love with whatever bike your meant to.

Basically it comes down to something like this (for thread reference):

DRZ-

Pro's:
-Cheap
-Lots of them out there, have been sold for a while
-Tons of parts, tons of aftermarket, tons of 2nd hand market
-Great forum support
-Indestructible. Mine's gone down 7 times now, the last one being a hard 55 MPH. No damage. Only part to be replaced due to a crash was a new tail light after a 12 oclock.
-Fun to work on and lots of extra power to be squeezed out of the engine for those who like to wrench a bit.
-Fairly dated design

Con's:
-Less power than more expensive sumo's, not an amazing rush of power that most bikes will give you.
-Heavy in stock trim, heavy in light trim
-5 gears, comfortable at 55-70 mph, 70+ begins to be a stretch for maintained riding.
-Murder seat for long rides
-Fairly dated design
-No tach (not necessarily a con, but its nice to have)

If I were to do the same for my experience with similar miles on my KTM I'd go with

KTM 690 SMC:

Pro's:
-Tons of power
-Fantastic brakes (4 pot, dual pad brembo front, single pot brembo rear)
-Really kit (Braided brake lines, hydraulic clutch, slipper clutch, perilli supercorsa 3 tires, nice stock handgaurds, etc)
-Comfortable at speeds of 70-85 all day long

Con's:
-Aftermarket is rare and really expensive
-Bike is pricey
-6,000 mile valve checks
-Eats tires
-Makes the DRZ's murder seat feel like a winged chair by a fireplace.
-Stock exhaust gets stupid hot. The heatshield over the header isnt long enough, you will melt your leg or set your pants on fire. My gear is ruined. The can gets blistering hot as well, and will melt your rear blinker and burn the crap out of anything it touches, especially the backpack you have to wear because...
-Absolutely zero storage, no helmet lock

This is without the obvious, that both bikes are retarded amounts of fun, especially on a sumo/kart track, and that both will get you primed pretty quickly on how to talk to officers of the law.

Note on that last bit: Officers of the law really like a bright orange KTM, which is to say in my experience, they've been more interested in learning about it than punishing me for the stupid poo poo they pulled me over for.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Did you mean 600 mile valve checks? Cause 6,000 isn't too bad at all. I think the biggest con for the "race-ready" sumos is that a lot of them seem to blow up before 5000 miles. I love my Husky but there is always the worry that it will simply destroy itself one day, so much so that I'm trying to save money for that reason.

As for the law, it's true that cops want to know about these bikes. I got nailed doing 50 in a 25 down a backroad and the cop asked a bunch of questions about the bike, then wrote me for a 35 in a 25 and said he'd allow me to plead no points in court. I was quite amazed.

As for the exhaust, I think mine is done breaking in my boot:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Compared to the DRZ, 6000 miles is soon. But it comes with the performance, and yeah, in the world of fast sumo's, thats fantastic.

*cough*510*cough*

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=88535

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

That's awesome. Dan Sewill is one of the fastest SV650 riders in the AFM and a hell of a nice guy to boot. I've always wondered if that was possible, now I know. :xd:

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Yeah, it's cool as hell, but I still can't help cringing at the thought of the punishment that the suspension internals are getting - mostly that "landing" picture where both ends are bottomed out and the front tyre squished flat. It almost looks like the rim is flexing slightly.

Worth it though

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 3, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FlyinDoc posted:

Yeah, it's cool as hell, but I still can't help cringing at the thought of the punishment that the suspension internals are getting - mostly that "landing" picture where both ends are bottomed out and the front tyre squished flat. It almost looks like the rim is flexing slightly.

Worth it though

Yeah, that's a loving brutal ride for a bike that's capable of winning an AFM race, but I still think it's awesome that he did it.

I wonder if any damage was done to the bike. That landing pic is beyond insane.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I hope he gets some new suspension components to swap the SV between road race and SM, then starts winning motos on the SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I hope he gets some new suspension components to swap the SV between road race and SM, then starts winning motos on the SV.

Well, 4th in his heat isn't half bad, haha. The guy has serious, serious skills.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Ducati Hypermotard 796.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/ducati-hypermotard-796-smaller.html

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Ducati Hypermonster 796.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/ducati-hypermotard-796-smaller.html

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
No mention of weight reduction :(

NCR managed to shave 42Kg off the weight of the standard hypermotard, despite putting in a larger engine making 42Hp more than standard (NCR Leggera Course 1200 if anyone wants to look it up and drool - it's what the hypermotard should have been, even if just the weight).

It saddens me that manufacturers come up with large capacity "motards" and naked versions of their sportbikes, the bulk of which somehow end up being significantly heavier than their faired counterparts.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FlyinDoc posted:

No mention of weight reduction :(

NCR managed to shave 42Kg off the weight of the standard hypermotard, despite putting in a larger engine making 42Hp more than standard (NCR Leggera Course 1200 if anyone wants to look it up and drool - it's what the hypermotard should have been, even if just the weight).

Judging Ducatis based on what NCR can do isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Also, if it's cheap enough, I'll be looking seriously at 796 Hyper.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 17, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Judging Ducatis based on what NCR can do isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Also, if it's cheap enough, I'll be looking seriously at 796 Hyper.
Throw on a titanium frame and carbon fiber wheels, pretty soon your talking real money.

The monster 1100 and the Hypermotard 1100 are both $11995. So it should cost about the same as a monster 696, 8995.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Yeah, I understand that the pricing gets silly quite quickly, it just always gets to me that Japanese maufacturers can make such lightweight sportbikes and do so at a low-to-reasonable price - whilst on the other hand, Japanese naked bikes, and the range of European large capacity "motards" all seem to somehow end up heavier than you'd expect in comparison.

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
Repost from "We do it with two":

My commuter and fun ride. It's a 2008 Yamaha XT 660 X, the supermoto version of the "R". My only modification was the removal of all red stickers, and i really dig the all white look.

Heard that it's not being sold in the US... you guys are missing out on a massivly vibrating one-cylinder direct injection engine with 660ccm, enormous torque in the low revs and really nice brakes.

It's no horsepower/weight monster like all the ktms out there, but a very flexible bike. driving in and around town is great fun, and no car and most bikes can not follow you in traffic. the high mirrors and handlebars allow me to pass between lanes in front of traffic lights where lower bikes can not go.

My sole issue is the lack of availability of a windshield for longer trips. 120km/h and more get *very* windy...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Did you mean 600 mile valve checks? Cause 6,000 isn't too bad at all. I think the biggest con for the "race-ready" sumos is that a lot of them seem to blow up before 5000 miles. I love my Husky but there is always the worry that it will simply destroy itself one day, so much so that I'm trying to save money for that reason.

As for the law, it's true that cops want to know about these bikes. I got nailed doing 50 in a 25 down a backroad and the cop asked a bunch of questions about the bike, then wrote me for a 35 in a 25 and said he'd allow me to plead no points in court. I was quite amazed.

As for the exhaust, I think mine is done breaking in my boot:

I should have paid more attention to this post, my Husky burnt a huge chunk out of my boot today.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 5, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

cypha posted:

Repost from "We do it with two":

My commuter and fun ride. It's a 2008 Yamaha XT 660 X, the supermoto version of the "R". My only modification was the removal of all red stickers, and i really dig the all white look.

Heard that it's not being sold in the US... you guys are missing out on a massivly vibrating one-cylinder direct injection engine with 660ccm, enormous torque in the low revs and really nice brakes.

It's no horsepower/weight monster like all the ktms out there, but a very flexible bike. driving in and around town is great fun, and no car and most bikes can not follow you in traffic. the high mirrors and handlebars allow me to pass between lanes in front of traffic lights where lower bikes can not go.

My sole issue is the lack of availability of a windshield for longer trips. 120km/h and more get *very* windy...

I would say that thing is pretty cool but it weighs about 400 lbs dry.

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
it is on the heavy side, but very easy to manouver - of course it's not a sporty bike like the lightweight 350s or the ktm-racehorses.

on the other side: great stability, it's quite possible to go 150kmh on the autobahn without any wobbling.

it's a fun everyday bike, and i would not dare to take it to a kart-parcours or to racing!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just wondering, at what point in a slide do you get back on the throttle? It seems like cracking the throttle while still crossed up would be a recipe for a high side, and that once the bike is tracking straight again is when you get on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Just wondering, at what point in a slide do you get back on the throttle? It seems like cracking the throttle while still crossed up would be a recipe for a high side, and that once the bike is tracking straight again is when you get on it.

What sort of slide? Braking or on the throttle?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

In my experience with supermoto, if your rear is sliding out, you are already on the throttle and your body position should already be in place to manage the slide.

Stay on the throttle, and when the wheel catches traction, enjoy the power wheelie and start braking for the next turn...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Shouldn't have started reading this thread. Now I'm considering going and test riding a DRZ400SM for my first bike, and to think I was almost worked out on what I was going to get.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Aargh posted:

Shouldn't have started reading this thread. Now I'm considering going and test riding a DRZ400SM for my first bike, and to think I was almost worked out on what I was going to get.

Hands down the most fun starter bike.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Seriously the DRZ400sm should be everyone's starter biek.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well the place where I work put a hiring freeze on and I'm a temp, so it looks like I'll be unemployeed for my Christmas present. As I bought the Husky as a toy and to race, and spending money on racing and maintaining a bike like this while jobless isn't such a good idea, I might end up selling it come next year if I can't get a job.

Maybe I can get away with trading it for a DRZ. That wouldn't be so bad really...it's like those RPG games were the beginning is a cutscene and battle with the ultimate weapon, and then you start the game with a wooden sword.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Gnaghi posted:

Well the place where I work put a hiring freeze on and I'm a temp, so it looks like I'll be unemployeed for my Christmas present. As I bought the Husky as a toy and to race, and spending money on racing and maintaining a bike like this while jobless isn't such a good idea, I might end up selling it come next year if I can't get a job.

Maybe I can get away with trading it for a DRZ. That wouldn't be so bad really...it's like those RPG games were the beginning is a cutscene and battle with the ultimate weapon, and then you start the game with a wooden sword.

Please look me and my DRZ up in the spring. (Seriously I hope you get to race it but iw as thinking about trading in for a new motard in the spring)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

In my experience with supermoto, if your rear is sliding out, you are already on the throttle and your body position should already be in place to manage the slide.

Stay on the throttle, and when the wheel catches traction, enjoy the power wheelie and start braking for the next turn...

That's true for a slide on corner exit, which is also good fun :), but I'm thinking Slim is referring to a slide on entrance. Aka, backing it in. In order to back it in you need to be hard on the brakes, as you ease out the brakes on the way to the apex, (trail braking) the rear end sort of works its way back in line. You get on the throttle at the apex, and if you did it like a badass you just ended your slide.

If you haven't stopped your still sliding when you get back on the throttle it will shake and a half-hearted attempt to send you sailing, but unless the rear is stepped out really far it's not going to throw you off.

I've found when I try to back it in I blow the corner and run wide like 30% of the time, so I'm faster keeping the tires hooked up.

BTW, I'll be at the track in about an hour if you want to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

cmorrow001 posted:

Please look me and my DRZ up in the spring. (Seriously I hope you get to race it but iw as thinking about trading in for a new motard in the spring)

Sure, I'll keep you updated. I might have some answers as soon as November.

• Locked thread