Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aargh posted:

Shouldn't have started reading this thread. Now I'm considering going and test riding a DRZ400SM for my first bike, and to think I was almost worked out on what I was going to get.
It's an excellent choice all around. I got one as a second bike and honestly wish I just gotten it in the first place. Light, handles well, cheap to own, and a huge aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was referring to backing it in, the type of slide you start with a massive downshift.

I also just started working on my bike and have a bunch of other work I still need to do, so I can't make it today. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It's an excellent choice all around. I got one as a second bike and honestly wish I just gotten it in the first place. Light, handles well, cheap to own, and a huge aftermarket.

I owned an 05 DRZ as my like 28th bike. Anyway, it was a barrel of fun, and its one of the few bikes I regret selling.

They are so flickable and smooth. The suspension is great, the engine is great the brakes are great, and I could go on. I wish I had the foresight to buy a good superslab bike AND hang on to the DRZ, but unfortunately it was one or the other for me at the time.

I'll get another DRZ some day.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I really have nothing to go by as far as used prices on these motorcycles. There's a used 2006 drzsm a few hours away the guy wants 3100 I'm thinking that's way on the highside, it seems mostly stock with a few cosmetic things done. Related how much should I expect to pay at a dealer for last years model at the end of the riding season, I'm trying to avoid new, but sumos aren't popular at all around here.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Kallikrates posted:

I really have nothing to go by as far as used prices on these motorcycles. There's a used 2006 drzsm a few hours away the guy wants 3100 I'm thinking that's way on the highside, it seems mostly stock with a few cosmetic things done. Related how much should I expect to pay at a dealer for last years model at the end of the riding season, I'm trying to avoid new, but sumos aren't popular at all around here.

How many miles? $3000 is about as low as they ever go on Supermoto Junkie, so that's definitely not way on the high side unless there's something very wrong.

Hell, I've been shopping locally for a DRZ SM for what seems like forever and prices like that are never available around here.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
16600 but from what I gather that's not to bad for this engine. I don't know why I think that's high mabye I need to stop comparing it to some of the fancier sms or sport bikes, Can't wait msf this weekend homefully no one snipes this thing from me

Kallikrates fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 22, 2009

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Phat_Albert posted:

I owned an 05 DRZ as my like 28th bike. Anyway, it was a barrel of fun, and its one of the few bikes I regret selling.

They are so flickable and smooth. The suspension is great, the engine is great the brakes are great, and I could go on. I wish I had the foresight to buy a good superslab bike AND hang on to the DRZ, but unfortunately it was one or the other for me at the time.

I'll get another DRZ some day.

How terribly impractical are these things? I'm torn between thinking an SV650 would be a good first bike, and the DRZ. The problems I see with the DRZ is that you probably never would want to take one on the freeway, and their minuscule gas tanks lead to a very short range. Am I right in thinking this?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I feel the same way and will probably sit on both bikes, my coworker was a somewhat experienced rider and just died in a motorcycle wreck, it's made things weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MetaJew posted:

How terribly impractical are these things? I'm torn between thinking an SV650 would be a good first bike, and the DRZ. The problems I see with the DRZ is that you probably never would want to take one on the freeway, and their minuscule gas tanks lead to a very short range. Am I right in thinking this?
It'll run on the highway, although not terribly comfortably. But unless you really want to be somewhere quickly, there's not much need to be on the highway. From the factory there's no real provision for carrying a load beyond a tank bag, but you can get racks to deal with that if it's an issue.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

MetaJew posted:

The freeway isn't that bad and you get used to it pretty quickly. If you're going to do a boatload of freeway miles you could get different sprockets to stop the engine buzzing like a motherfucker at freeway speeds.

I use a freeway for about 20km most mornings to work, unless it's windy (50km/hr+) because I'm a pussy.

But then, like Endless Mike says, I'm only doing that to get there quickly. If I have time up my sleeve I avoid the freeway at all costs, it's just too much drat fun getting to work in the morning.

second/third/fourth/fifth/sixthing the 'wish I'd bought it first' - it's my second bike and it's seen far more fun, excitement and wrench time in it's first 2000km than my transalp has in 10000km for these reasons:

1. I stacked it
2. I stacked it again

Both incidents (including one that punched a hole in the engine case) cost me no more than $80 in parts and a couple of hours.

This bike has taught me more about riding in the same distance than my TA and more about where my limits are and how I can go about pushing them to learn more, without crazy speeds being involved.

They loving rule.

edit: the range is a bit of a bitch sometimes, I manage 150km/90ish miles to reserve if I'm riding moderately, for that reason I'm considering a larger tank

They still loving rule.

the letter b fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 22, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually should have mentioned that I own both an SV650 and a DRZ, and I like them both, but the DRZ definitely beats the poo poo out of the SV in the city, which is where I do most of my riding.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I dunno if its really helpful on a SM, but Clarke Manufacturing has told customers that most DR Desert Tanks will fit onto a DRZ with some minor fitting. Would ruin the lines but would probably be useful.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Kallikrates posted:

That's the lowest I've seen but I'm in CA. That is kinda high mileage but if it's been well cared for go for it.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Im looking at getting a DR-Z in the spring, or perhaps in the winter if I can find a deal.

However there are a few things I'm unsure about.

I want a supermoto, but I also want to do some offroad. About 85% of my riding would be on pavement, but like all of Alaska, sometimes our roads suck rear end.

What all is involved in the conversion from a DR-Z S to an SM? Is it just rims/tires and front brake?

How much does the conversion parts cost?

Would it be more cost effictive to get an SM and then get some knobbies or to get a S and get some slicks?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You don't need dirt tires unless you're going to be doing real off-road riding. If you want to tear down poorly maintained dirt roads the SM will do just fine. A set of 17" Avon Distanzia's will handle just about anything short of a mudpit.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Chill_Bebop posted:

I dunno if its really helpful on a SM, but Clarke Manufacturing has told customers that most DR Desert Tanks will fit onto a DRZ with some minor fitting. Would ruin the lines but would probably be useful.

This guy has been trying to sell his DRZ with a larger aftermarket tank for quite a while now. I don't think his price has changed much though.
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1427360588.html

Craigslist posted:

2007 Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2100 miles, great shape, modified - $4200 (Tomball)
Date: 2009-10-18, 6:58PM CDT
Reply to: sale-gr76e-1427360588@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have for sale a 2007 Suzuki DRZ400SM supermoto. Street legal dirtbike!! It has 2100 miles and runs great. It is in great shape and always starts right away. It has a clear title and is ready to ride. This is the most fun street motorcycle you will ever own!! Gets about 60 mpg!

The bike has the following mods:

FCR39MX 39mm carburetor, jetted

3x3 airbox mod

1 baffle removed from exhaust

SDG aftermarket seat

Clarke 3.2 gal see thru gas tank w/ non vacuum fuel petcock

Black Billet Aluminum Gas Cap with Vent

Aftermarket white plastics

Clear front turn signals

Custom rear brake light and license bracket

New parts:

Brand new chain

Brand new bigger rear tire

Brand new Yuasa battery

Oil changed twice already w/ Motul synthetic

I have the clear title in hand ready to sell. You can contact me at anytime at 281-732-2630 if you have any questions or to come check it out, please leave a message if I dont answer. Also feel free to email me if you like.

keywords: suzuki, drz, 400, sm, motard, supermoto, drz400, 400sm

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Edit: Sorry that I've sort of been spamming the thread, but I have one more question.

There's a Husky SM610 that's been for sale locally for several weeks now. What's the general opinion on this bike? If I wanted to go the Sumo route for a first bike would the DRZ be a better choice? I do recall reading the some of the European sumos (KTM, Aprilia, etc) are fairly high maintenance with respect to the DRZ. What's the general consensus?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This thread has fallen too far off the front page...

Today I decided I was going to go look at some Motards because I guess I don't like having a license. The local yama/kawi shop was having a demo day so I lucked out. Rode a new Yamaha WR250X and really enjoyed it. The demo route was slow and I was put in the back of the group but it was still fun. Very light and flickable, suspension was great and the front brakes are amazing. Not a ton of power but it feels pretty well balanced and I enjoyed revving the hell out of it. There were two things I didn't like about it. First the seat was hard as hell which I expected, would replace this if I picked one up I think. And second was the seat height...I'm too drat short. It was set at about half way on the seat adjustment and I wasn't comfortable on it at all when stopped. The one in the showroom was set lower and felt a lot better to me.

After that I headed over to the Suzuki dealership to look at a DRZ400SM. And found out again that I am too drat short. I swung a leg over but it was between bikes and I didn't feel like knocking over a row of bikes so I didn't stand it up. Looks like a friend picked one up so I may go sit on his.

So what options are there for lowering these bikes a bit without killing the handling and ground clearance? Or should I just buy a milk crate to tote around and quit being a pussy? I'm 5'6 with a 28-29" inseam.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2009

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

NitroSpazzz posted:

This thread has fallen too far off the front page...

Today I decided I was going to go look at some Motards because I guess I don't like having a license. The local yama/kawi shop was having a demo day so I lucked out. Rode a new Yamaha WR250X and really enjoyed it. The demo route was slow and I was put in the back of the group but it was still fun. Very light and flickable, suspension was great and the front brakes are amazing. Not a ton of power but it feels pretty well balanced and I enjoyed revving the hell out of it. There were two things I didn't like about it. First the seat was hard as hell which I expected, would replace this if I picked one up I think. And second was the seat height...I'm too drat short. It was set at about half way on the seat adjustment and I wasn't comfortable on it at all when stopped. The one in the showroom was set lower and felt a lot better to me.

After that I headed over to the Suzuki dealership to look at a DRZ400SM. And found out again that I am too drat short. I swung a leg over but it was between bikes and I didn't feel like knocking over a row of bikes so I didn't stand it up. Looks like a friend picked one up so I may go sit on his.

So what options are there for lowering these bikes a bit without killing the handling and ground clearance? Or should I just buy a milk crate to tote around and quit being a pussy? I'm 5'6 with a 28-29" inseam.

I only have an extra inch of inseam and fit on a drz fine, two tip toes or one flat foot. My seat is stock but broken in and soft.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Tall bikes just take getting used to. I've got a 28-29in inseam and manage just fine on a bike thats heavier and only an inch and a half or so shorter. If you've got more the a few months experience you'll be fine one you learn that one foot down isn't that bad if you slide a bit to the side of the seat.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 21, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Slide your but off to one side so you can put a foot down at stop lights. Cut away some seat foam.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

As for sliding off the side thats what I did and it will just take some getting used to. I ended up resting my thigh on the seat and just hanging off the side at any stops.

Looks like I should be test riding a DRZ sometime this week then will have to decide if I want a really light and tossable 250 or the heavier but more powerful DRZ.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
So today at the motorbike expo I found that I could comfortably flatfoot a KTM 690 SMC which was raised up a little due to its front wheel holder that keeps the bike upright for dumbos like me to sit on it.

I think I might have to buy one.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looks like I should be test riding a DRZ sometime this week then will have to decide if I want a really light and tossable 250 or the heavier but more powerful DRZ.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=52362

Fyi, a comparison between the bikes someone has done for street riding. I'd take the DRZ given the choice but that's just me.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

As for sliding off the side thats what I did and it will just take some getting used to. I ended up resting my thigh on the seat and just hanging off the side at any stops.

Which side do you hang off?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was hanging off the left side and just stayed in gear for any long lights we ran into. This also lets me rest my toes on the rear brake. But thinking about it is the wrong side because them I am hosed for starting from neutral and starting the bike up.

cmorrow001 thanks for the link I'll read through that.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 24, 2009

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FYI DRZs have the worst-designed close-ratio transmission around. Great for a supermoto track or town duty, not so much for dual sport and highway. You have to pick between a low 1st w/ low 5th and high 5th and high 1st.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

New room mate is bringing over her 07 DRZ that she wants to sell tonight for me to ride. It has a lot of work done to it from when she worked at a Suzuki dealer...lowered, 39mm flatside carb, 440 big bore, high comp piston, different crank, full titanium exhaust, all yellow plastics, shaved seat and a few other things I can't list off the top of my head. Looking forward to it.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Depending on the crank, that's gonna have like 70% more hp over stock. Assuming there are cams in there somewhere.

Am i the only person that seat bolts are a loving consumable? I've lost 6 and i just bought another 10, :(. Can't wait to get my mods done simply so i can just locktit the poo poo outa my seat.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I've lost a few of my DRZ seat bolts as well.

I'm depating on whether or not to put new cams in the bike this winter. Since I only really got my fcr39 dialed in towards the end of this last year, I think I may wait a year to get used to the new changes.

Also I'm toxx clause-ing it now, 3 track days next year on the DRZ. I really need to see what I can do on a motard at the track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My kickstand is one bolt away from rattling completely off. Supermotards, The weight sheds itself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

New room mate is bringing over her 07 DRZ that she wants to sell tonight for me to ride. It has a lot of work done to it from when she worked at a Suzuki dealer...lowered, 39mm flatside carb, 440 big bore, high comp piston, different crank, full titanium exhaust, all yellow plastics, shaved seat and a few other things I can't list off the top of my head. Looking forward to it.

Holy poo poo, thats REALLY worked over. It ought to be seriously powerful.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Dubs posted:

Depending on the crank, that's gonna have like 70% more hp over stock. Assuming there are cams in there somewhere.
Pretty sure cams were on the list, I can't wait to go home and see it.

Phat_Albert posted:

Holy poo poo, thats REALLY worked over. It ought to be seriously powerful.
I think she basically went through the catalog and ordered everthing. The only thing she didn't do that she wanted was put a kick start on it. They usually kept the bike in the showroom so all the labor to install and setup was free. It should be a pretty fun bike.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

My kickstand is one bolt away from rattling completely off. Supermotards, The weight sheds itself.

Not to mention the license plate.

That DRZ needs a brake system upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

Not to mention the license plate.

That DRZ needs a brake system upgrade.

The very first time I took it out with the plate, I lost it. New one is gettin ziptied on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies. With the shaved seat and lowered suspension I can sit on it pretty comfortable. Roommate thought it had a 440 kit but wasn't sure. Rode around the neighborhood a bit, a couple main roads, up the curb in front of the house and across the lawn, what a fun bike.

Riding it to work tomorrow even though if I buy it I doubt I would commute on it very often. Will see what she wants for it when I get home most likely.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies.

That's a funny definition of stock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies. With the shaved seat and lowered suspension I can sit on it pretty comfortable. Roommate thought it had a 440 kit but wasn't sure. Rode around the neighborhood a bit, a couple main roads, up the curb in front of the house and across the lawn, what a fun bike.

Riding it to work tomorrow even though if I buy it I doubt I would commute on it very often. Will see what she wants for it when I get home most likely.

That still ought to be pretty strong.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rode it to work today and it actually wasn't too bad for commuting. Even took the interstate home, thing easily hits 90 and has a fair amount in reserve. After work I traded my textile suit and laptop for my leathers and headed for the twisties. I didn't actually intend on going to the dragon but like every other time I go out I ended up there. The bike really shines there, plenty of power and even on the lovely tires (Avon Distanzia) there was a lot of grip to play with.

I haven't talked to her about price yet but my roommate mentioned that she had talked to him about selling it for $4500, it around 15k miles. I'm not sure if she is flexible on the price or if that is even what she will ask but what are your thoughts on the price if it was $4500?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode it to work today and it actually wasn't too bad for commuting. Even took the interstate home, thing easily hits 90 and has a fair amount in reserve. After work I traded my textile suit and laptop for my leathers and headed for the twisties. I didn't actually intend on going to the dragon but like every other time I go out I ended up there. The bike really shines there, plenty of power and even on the lovely tires (Avon Distanzia) there was a lot of grip to play with.

I haven't talked to her about price yet but my roommate mentioned that she had talked to him about selling it for $4500, it around 15k miles. I'm not sure if she is flexible on the price or if that is even what she will ask but what are your thoughts on the price if it was $4500?

I sold my 05 for $4000, with that work on a newer bike I'd say its definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd definitely go for it at 4500$. That's a lot of work that's been done and if you dig it you're not gonna find a better deal on a DRZ.

Now the flip/evil side of it is that that's almost KTM/Husky money. And you'll spend a fair bit more getting a DRZ to handle like a KTM. But they definitely have an appeal all their own.

Does it have a brake kit?

• Locked thread