Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Safety Dance posted:

I've found that a good replacement seat goes a long way if you find your buns are hurting. Check out Renazco (expensive and with a long wait time, but best quality), Seat Concepts (relatively inexpensive and quick turnaround but you have to reupholster your seat (which isn't hard at all)), and Corbin (expensive, but should have a quick turnaround).

Other commuter supermoto concerns: luggage and tires.

I'd heard about the seat, regarding tires I hear Dunlop 606's are a good choice? This is reassuring, I've been looking at larger bikes so I've got the extra power on the highway just in case but if a DRZ400 will do me well I'll go with it (Although if I can find a F650 GS at the right price I'll hop on that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tang_
May 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Running stock sprockets (16/44) but I think I'm going to drop it to a 15 on the front, maybe 45 on the rear, seems to be a popular ratio on the KTM UK forum and others.

hnnng. Stock gearing here is 16/42. Ive got a 15t on the front which didnt make tooo much of a difference that I noticed. Seriously considering going to a 45t on the rear too. (Will also help shorten the wheelbase a bit, rear wheel is nearly as far back as it can go.

Got bored the other day and drilled 2 roughly 1/2" holes in the airbox. Bike has livened up a fair bit from that, considering drilling two more. I found a few dyno charts the other day that concluded that the bike makes more torque with the stock airbox and no lid than with the pod (up to 7kish rpm), which is where I do my riding anyway. Funnily enough my 1750 arrived this arvo. Going to throw the evo1 map on and put the speed holes in when I get a chance and see how she goes.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tang_ posted:

I found a few dyno charts the other day that concluded that the bike makes more torque with the stock airbox and no lid than with the pod (up to 7kish rpm)

Weird, I've seen charts that show the opposite; Just shoving on a slip on with the airbox and the akra map seems to just rob the mid range and add it to the top but when paired with a 1750 and mapped right the mid range fills out nicely and shifts the useable power down about 500rpm. I cant find the charts now but it was linked through the UK forums, German chap had done all the work and was getting nice results.

EDIT:
HP - not much different

Torque - Hot piss!

(Blue - stock, Red - airbox lid removed, Green - 1750)

Highscore on the KTM UK forum posted:

These graphs show the performance of an otherwise stock bike. The base run is all stock, the one with the healthy torque in the middle is without airbox lid, the one running flat up to the limiter is related to the short intake runner length by the RU-1750. This is the "power-set up" for the SMC.

The stock output with airbox lid is in deed flatter and stronger at the very end of the range. Removing the lid a lot of torque in the middle, but for the cost of performance in the later part close to the red zone. The stock SMC revs better.

To unterstand this curious phenomenon we have to convince the inlet, the whole peripherie in front of the intake valves, as a system. In the case of an all stock SMC this is a rather complex system, comprehending a two-stage-volume resonator. Here the airbox volume for itself is the element, coupling the wave actions of two resonator tubes together: The intake runner inside if the cylinder head including throttle body and attached (rubber) velocity stack and the square, long and slim funnel of the airbox lid guiding the air to the filter and forming the inlet for that volume resonator.

Still anybody with me? Such two-stage volume resonators are the fine art of engine set up. Common stuff at performance cars. The problem of this system is its complexity. Putting two genuine resonances together by a common triggering volume is jeopardized to create the not aspected and unpredictable within some frequencies (that means engine speeds).

So my approach to remove the airbox lid is a simple reduction of the intake system´s complexity. I guess this is one -beside of the better air flow by removing this small funnel at the atmosphere´s inlet - the main reason for its efficiency. But obviously without that funnel of the lid the 690 SMC is now tuned to "deep" by its remaining intake funnel. This single intake runner makes real good power in the middle, but does not rev anymore.

This is a proof how efficiently such a two-stage resonators works and how critical its action acts in other range of the engines´s range.
Of course you may think now to re-tune the resonances of the stock SMC airbox by changing length of the to runners, so shorting the funnel of the lid. Go ahead and try it. I am more single minded, so I am going the way to reduce system´s complexity.

The installation of the RU-1750 at the throttle body means no a massive reduction of the length feeding the engine thru its intake valves. The effect thereby is clear and obvious. This is the set up for maximum peak power. But not only this, it also makes the best power below 3500 and offers the best (means predictable) throttle response.

EDIT 2: Found his current tuning thread on ktmforum.eu, but it's in German:
Translated

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 25, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

I'd heard about the seat, regarding tires I hear Dunlop 606's are a good choice? This is reassuring, I've been looking at larger bikes so I've got the extra power on the highway just in case but if a DRZ400 will do me well I'll go with it (Although if I can find a F650 GS at the right price I'll hop on that).

Assuming you're not Andre the Giant, the DRZ400 should do well on the highway. I'm a big dude, and my KLR650 (which is slightly less powerful than the DRZ400 but much heavier) is able to comfortably maintain 75-80 mph.

As far as tires go, I don't know. The 606's look more like dirtbike tires than sumo tires, which is cool if that's what you want. I just put Michelin Pilot Power tires on my Husqvarna, and they seem pretty good thus far (i.e. I did 130 not very twisty miles over the weekend, and they didn't flat-spot).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ashex posted:

I've got a fat rear end (210lbs atm) and I can do 80-90mph without to many issues, it's not fun to hold for more than a few seconds, but you can definitely do it. 65-70mph is doable all day long.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I had previously been getting all my info from guys who ride sport bikes and they were talking like I'd get sucked under a bus or something. I'll start hunting for my DRZ :)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ashex posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I had previously been getting all my info from guys who ride sport bikes and they were talking like I'd get sucked under a bus or something. I'll start hunting for my DRZ :)

Sport bikers love to talk big, honestly around here most of them can barely ride. It will blow your mind when that litrebike that was doing 120 on the straight slows down to 15 mph in the corner. It will blow their mind when you back it in around them and wheelie out of the corner. I ride the same road every day to and from work, it's a nice little twisty road. There is almost always a bike on the road and at first they tried to stay ahead/block me. Now they just get out of my way or let me go by without trying to "race".

(I pretty much just do the speedlimit, but I do it the entire time through every corner and switchback. The straight line jockies tend to lose it in the corners but will run up to 140 in the straights sometimes.)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm getting lucky, found a '06 DRZ400SM setup for dual at 3k. Needs street rims though, I found someone with them and he'll sell them to me for $800. Is that a good price for them?

I was really hoping to keep the total as close to 3k as possible but having two sets of rims will make trail riding easier as I can just swap them in when I need to. Plus it's a SM.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ashex posted:

I'm getting lucky, found a '06 DRZ400SM setup for dual at 3k. Needs street rims though, I found someone with them and he'll sell them to me for $800. Is that a good price for them?

I was really hoping to keep the total as close to 3k as possible but having two sets of rims will make trail riding easier as I can just swap them in when I need to. Plus it's a SM.

I'd say $500-600 is the low end for street rims with $800 being on the high end. Check out thumpertalk, they pop up there but they move really fast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Assuming you're not Andre the Giant, the DRZ400 should do well on the highway. I'm a big dude, and my KLR650 (which is slightly less powerful than the DRZ400 but much heavier) is able to comfortably maintain 75-80 mph.

Really, as was stated unless you're huge, the DRZ will be fine. I'm a big dude, and my DRZ cruises fine on the highway. It will certainly outlast most peoples willpower.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Really, as was stated unless you're huge, the DRZ will be fine. I'm a big dude, and my DRZ cruises fine on the highway. It will certainly outlast most peoples asscheeks.

fixt!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suzuki Gel seat owner spotted

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Suzuki Gel seat owner spotted

Not yet... Got a link? After 100 miles with a 50lb. pack offroad 2 weeks ago I had saddle sores. I'm very open to suggestions. The airhawks seem to big to me to fit on the DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Suzuki gel seat is the worst seat ever designed and seems almost custom tailored to split your tailbone in two

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Dunno if you guys saw, but Suzuki is re-releasing the DRZ400SM for 2013. Nothing is new on it, from what I can tell. But hey, at least you can still buy a new supermoto in the US now if you want.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

When's the best time for sumo shopping? Right about now? The KTM I was looking at is gone. Others are a bit out of my price range.

My bike needs new front/rear tires real soon. Contemplating just replacing those and keeping it around for a bit longer. (4-6 months?)

Since we're on tire chat I've been using the Continental Conti Force and can't really complain. Willing to try something with longer tread life, though. Any suggestions? Although I've heard the conti force tread life is a good balance between performance and longetivity. Practically all road use (Community and occasional spirited canyon ride)

Blah I'm so indecisive.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Ashex posted:

I was planning on getting a DRZ but reality is setting in and I'm not sure which SM to get for myself, the big problem I'm having is I'll use it for commuting (20 miles on the highway) on top of riding around parks. Any of you guys with experience able to point me the right way? I'm looking into a KTM right now.

I used to say that I didn't think the DRZ was good for communting on the highway, but after changing my sprocket in the rear I have changed my mind. DRZ is fine for a commute. I do 15 miles each way on the stock seat every day.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Dunno if you guys saw, but Suzuki is re-releasing the DRZ400SM for 2013. Nothing is new on it, from what I can tell. But hey, at least you can still buy a new supermoto in the US now if you want.

Oh, I like that white and blue. I hadn't heard that they were going to make these again, thanks for the heads up :)

Resource fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2012

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Resource posted:

I used to say that I didn't think the DRZ was good for communting on the highway, but after changing my sprocket in the rear I have changed my mind. DRZ is fine for a commute. I do 15 miles each way on the stock seat every day.

I have a completely stock DRZ and it works fine on the highway which I commute on every day. I don't have a lot to compare it to, besides cars. I've gone 50+ miles in a single ride on highways and it was fine.

The only real disadvantage I see is the gas capacity for long trips.. Beyond that, it operates perfectly fine at high speeds and is comfortable enough once you develop your rear end callouses... but it's not a car, that's just part of the fun.

I do see a KTM 990, BMW 1200 GS, or Ducati Multistrada in my distant future though after I win the lottery.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

I have a completely stock DRZ and it works fine on the highway which I commute on every day. I don't have a lot to compare it to, besides cars. I've gone 50+ miles in a single ride on highways and it was fine.

The only real disadvantage I see is the gas capacity for long trips.. Beyond that, it operates perfectly fine at high speeds and is comfortable enough once you develop your rear end callouses... but it's not a car, that's just part of the fun.

I do see a KTM 990, BMW 1200 GS, or Ducati Multistrada in my distant future though after I win the lottery.

Psh, you'll have to split it with me, I'm california's next millionaire, buddy :colbert:

But then we can ride multistradas together :gay:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaNChEzZ posted:

But then we can ride multistradas together :gay:

Ride? I'm just going to duck-walk it to Coffee Bean and stare at it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Suzuki gel seat is the worst seat ever designed and seems almost custom tailored to split your tailbone in two

Yes its a piece of poo poo. my bike came with a gel seat and the previous owner was nice and kept the original too. After a month or so I switched to the OEM and my god it was so much better.

The gel seat is like an inch thick though so if you're ultra short it will help you on clearance I guess.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Good news on my WR450 engine rebuild. So, the head got back from the headshop and did not need any new valves! I guess just needed valve seats cut and not much else. Saved me around 3 hundred. Finnaly catching a little break on this bike.... I'll take it.

Still waiting for the new crank and the cylinder wall ended up needing a nikasil coating so waiting on that work as well. If I am lucky it will be ready sometime next week. I guess I am excited about having a brand new engine, I'll be a sumo rider yet :)

No pics yet, I might make it to the shop this week, I have a new front sprocket I ordered before the thing blew, so I figure they can put it on for me. Going from a 13 to 15 tooth. The rear is 48 or 50, don't remember. I will probably change the rear to a 46 if its at 50 now or 44 if its at 48.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

:monocle: Thats awesome!!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thank you so much for helping me out, you guys seriously rock. I'm in talks with the guy and will hopefully meet with him later this week.

I've got another question, the street rims I located came off a '05 DRZ, will they fit the '06?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Ive been running a 150/70 BT-021 for years with no rubbing and I'm fat as gently caress so I dont know whats up with your tyre.

I assume they arent that different?

Tang_
May 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Weird, I've seen charts that show the opposite; Just shoving on a slip on with the airbox and the akra map seems to just rob the mid range and add it to the top but when paired with a 1750 and mapped right the mid range fills out nicely and shifts the useable power down about 500rpm. I cant find the charts now but it was linked through the UK forums, German chap had done all the work and was getting nice results.

EDIT:
HP - not much different

Torque - Hot piss!

(Blue - stock, Red - airbox lid removed, Green - 1750)

EDIT 2: Found his current tuning thread on ktmforum.eu, but it's in German:
Translated

Yep that was the graph I saw, re read the torque graph. Up the top it says what the colours are. Green is no lid, red is 1750. It also says that in your quote ;)

From here for reference: http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/44023-690-smc-replacement-performance-air-filter-advise-appreciated-3.html

Extra holes and evo1 map is going on now!

EDIT # 98: Looks like he did further tuning that day and got the 1750 to perform well all over the place:
http://imageshack.us/f/81/smcremus1750nm.jpg/

Tang_ fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 26, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ashex posted:

Thank you so much for helping me out, you guys seriously rock. I'm in talks with the guy and will hopefully meet with him later this week.

I've got another question, the street rims I located came off a '05 DRZ, will they fit the '06?

The SM wheels didnt change at all as far as I know.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm really surprised Suzuki brought the DRZ back.
Moreso that they decided to make zero functional changes to it (apparently)
The colored wheels are cool though. Mismatched plastics don't do it for me.

C'mon Suzuki, pull your poo poo together; refresh the drat design already.

God only knows why they haven't given it the 2008 Ninja 250 treatment yet.

Keep the engine, update the looks, gauges and frame. Drop 10lbs, done.

I understand its a $7,000 bike and that comes with a budget but they could accomplish so much by just doing a little bit too it...

Or put a 6 speed transmission into it, FI, a modern gauge set and a better brake and charge $8,000 new for it. There are enough used DRZs to last us until the end of time and the incentive to buy a new one is just not there.

I'm both pleased to see it back for sale and disappointed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its not really surprising though. Suzuki doesnt fix things unless they're broken, and really only their sportbikes get yearly updates. Think of the SV, it went through one revision in its entire run. Even the Hayabusa gets only minor tweaks.

What they have is the best selling supermoto in the US by a large margin, a good post-beginner bike, a great corner carver for those who know one when they see one, and basically the only supermoto you can find on showroom floors today, as well as the only supermoto that doesnt cost 5 figures.

I dont see much incentive for them to change it, really.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just because Suzuki is boring and risk-adverse doesn't mean I can't be disappointed.

Kawasaki would have refreshed it this year and we'd all have something to get excited about.

I wonder if Suzuki actually spun up the production line again or if these have just been sitting partially complete for the last few years when they halted everything to save money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know, I'd love for them to release an RMZ-SM too, but from Suzukis point of view there really isnt a reason to do so.

The 2013 DRZSM is the 2008+ Canadian/World model, so I'm guessing production never stopped, they just didnt see fit to bring them to the US for the last few years. Perhaps because there were enough sitting in crates here to last for a couple years.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The same guy is selling both of these:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3296375315.html
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3296388027.html

On one hand, I'm envious that he can have that kind of garage, but on the other, he must not like fun if they're both in that condition with such low mileage.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

More than likely his license is up against a three-strikes-you're-out law and one more wheelie would mean 20 to life.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's roughly the price/condition I bought my Husky in. Anyone in Jacksonville considering a supermoto should jump on that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

The same guy is selling both of these:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3296375315.html
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3296388027.html

On one hand, I'm envious that he can have that kind of garage, but on the other, he must not like fun if they're both in that condition with such low mileage.

Thats as many miles as either of them made before blowing up. That makes him the owner of the second highest mileage SXV on earth.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
w00t w00t. Bought and installed a DRC Edge 2 tail tidy for my DRZ after my sister 12 o'clocked it a few weeks ago.

Slightly ghetto install; I've now got two shiny bolt heads sticking through the tail, but it's rather nice. Glad it's done, and I'm pleased with how easily the wires connected. I didn't blow anything up by connecting it the wrong way round either.

In the background you can see the other two bikes we got back from the garage today. It's a good feeling knowing all the bikes are finally working again.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I was just wondering, what do you guys think about the KTM SuperDuke? I've recently had an accident, and as such, am unsure as to if I'll be able to maintain a racing crouch (super sport bikes previously) due to back damage.

I like the idea of getting a Motard again, I had an '06 Yamaha XT660X, which was fun, and I'm aware that the DRZ400SM is highly regarded around here, so I was wondering how the SuperDuke fares.

^^Ghetto again, but I recently put slim-line number plates on my car, and the screw holes were in the exact position to go over the letters, so I just got a permanent marker... and painted the heads in. Still looking good! :)

Ninja edit.. Reason I'm leaning towards the Duke is also size. I'm around 190 cm at 100 kilos, and I'm not sure how amply the 400 single would go. And I love the idea of having hilarious power again - I'm jonesing for it!

fingerling fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 30, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

fingerling posted:

I was just wondering, what do you guys think about the KTM SuperDuke?

Nice bike, but in my opinion the 990 SM and SMT are better all round bikes. Something about the shorter bars and geometry left it feeling very heavy at low speed to me. That said, I only got to ride it around small, twisty roads and after coming from the 690 SMC it was going to feel like a tank.

The SMT felt way nicer though, it is seriously nimble for the size has the same engine, not to mention being way more comfortable.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

In my opinion the 990 SM and SMT are better

Heh, sure shows how much I know about KTM's. I just thought there was the 'regular' SuperDuke. I'm aware of how ignorant I seem, but what are the differences? I just tried Googling SM and STM. I take it one is SuperMoto while the other is... SportsMoto or something?

I'm not going to be touring, so I'd still like it to be relatively sporty..

I am definitely leaning further towards the Super Motards than the Super Sports at this stage though. I'll probably be looking seriously at a bike mid to late next year, but it can't hurt to keep an eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 950/990 SM is basically the superduke with longer travel supermoto suspension. The SMT is the SM with some luggage and more wind protection. If you're not going to be doing any touring, I'd get the 990/950 SM. But look into the issues they had...they're pretty well documented. Some fueling niggles, etc.

• Locked thread