Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

A MIRACLE posted:

The dealer has a discount on the DRZ-SM and they're offering me over KBB for my FZ07. Money isn't super an issue but just curious, what's the better bike? My riding is 100% surface streets in LA with some lanesplitting on the freeway. I got a Miata for longer trips.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm tempted to try it. BTW, I replaced it with an FZ-09 just like you :haw:

Interestingly, I'm considering swapping my FZ-09 for a DRZ at some point (maybe in the fall); I ride like 90% urban streets, and I feel like the 09 is wasted. It's fun on the highway, but I hardly ever get out on country roads or anything. Being in a big city, it takes me at least an hour. Maybe a bit less.

So this may be a weird question: do we know anyone in Chicago or nearby that has a DRZ? I would love to try it out to see if it's worth it going through the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

captainOrbital posted:

Interestingly, I'm considering swapping my FZ-09 for a DRZ at some point (maybe in the fall); I ride like 90% urban streets, and I feel like the 09 is wasted. It's fun on the highway, but I hardly ever get out on country roads or anything. Being in a big city, it takes me at least an hour. Maybe a bit less.

So this may be a weird question: do we know anyone in Chicago or nearby that has a DRZ? I would love to try it out to see if it's worth it going through the hassle.

I'm selling my DRZ and got the FZ for that exact opposite reason - small town with 30mi to get anywhere fun to ride. If I lived in an urban area, I'd likely keep it, but I got a Grom for that sort of thing and there's too much overlap. I'm about 90min from southern "Chicagoland" if you wanna make the trip.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I could take a trip down to Skankakee or wherever.

Get me out of this ridiculous city.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm in the endless cornfields of Indiana, but you're welcome to try it out if want (assuming it doesn't sell beforehand, obv)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Selling my WR250x on craigslist was an equal nightmare. Supermotos just attract idiots that think it's no different than an unplated dirtbike stuffed in a barn or something. The WR250x was extra frustrating because everyone thinks it's the same as the WR250F.

I'm really coming around on the DRZ, and I used to hate them. Saw a White/blue new DRZ-SM the other day and it was A) Beautiful and, B) Tiny. I'd daily one, for sure.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
When I was selling my Buell XB12 someone wanted to trade for an RSV Mille, that would have been some kind of sick display of mutual sado-masochism.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

High Protein posted:

When I was selling my Buell XB12 someone wanted to trade for an RSV Mille, that would have been some kind of sick display of mutual sado-masochism.

Well at least Aprilia is still in business.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

I'm really coming around on the DRZ, and I used to hate them. Saw a White/blue new DRZ-SM the other day and it was A) Beautiful and, B) Tiny. I'd daily one, for sure.

I get A), I'm with you there. How big did you think DRZ's were? It's a 450-class bike after all.

I feel you on the whole selling a supermoto thing. When I sold my last DRZ, the guy who bought it handed over cash, seemed super excited, and had it up on Craigslist the very next day.

I reached out to him just to see what was up, I didn't care, I had my cash, but I hoped it didn't randomly blow up on him or something weird, I'd feel a little bad since I extolled it's reliability to him.

His answer? "I took it out in the woods and it is not good in the mud with that crotch rocket tire, I need something good in the mud"

:psypop:

At that point I realized he didn't "get" the bike at all and just wished him GLWS.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I sold my bucket to a friend. Didn't even get to list it. *Shrug*

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
For the past few years, I've owned two bikes. My DRZ400-SM and "the other bike". I keep buying a new-to-me bike, then I get tired of it, sell it, and go back to the dizzer. As such, it gets a lot of use for a season, then no use at all the next season, rinse, repeat.

I live in Canada and we only ride 7 or 8 months per year. This means when it sits, it sits for 4 winter months, then 8 riding months, then 4 winter months = 16 months at a time. So far, during these long timeouts, the only "maintenance" I'm doing is keeping the gas tank full, to avoid rusting out the tank.

What else should I be doing?

I'm scared that one time I'm going to hop back on my old friend and it's going to be broken :(

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

epalm posted:

For the past few years, I've owned two bikes. My DRZ400-SM and "the other bike". I keep buying a new-to-me bike, then I get tired of it, sell it, and go back to the dizzer. As such, it gets a lot of use for a season, then no use at all the next season, rinse, repeat.

I live in Canada and we only ride 7 or 8 months per year. This means when it sits, it sits for 4 winter months, then 8 riding months, then 4 winter months = 16 months at a time. So far, during these long timeouts, the only "maintenance" I'm doing is keeping the gas tank full, to avoid rusting out the tank.

What else should I be doing?

I'm scared that one time I'm going to hop back on my old friend and it's going to be broken :(

All I do for mine is put gasoline stabilizer in it and keep it on a trickle charger. I live in MN so it sits for quite a few months.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My supermoto decided to poo poo the bed(head gasket issue maybe), so I ended up shooting video at 240 fps instead. Click the gif for the hq version.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

My supermoto decided to poo poo the bed(head gasket issue maybe), so I ended up shooting video at 240 fps instead. Click the gif for the hq version.

These are excellent.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UKzFNki3c

Finally finished up the Cascadia supermoto video, enjoy!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I talked my dad into a 400SM. If I was to swap wheels with my S, what else needs to swap? I know the rear sprocket, chain, front rotor, and speedo drive are different. Are the spacers all the same?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
sm to s spacers and poo poo are all the same besides the things you mentioned

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've finally gotten over the heartbreak of my DRZ being stolen in 2015 and may be buying a WR250X this weekend.

2008, 1k miles, fender eliminator and hand guards but otherwise stock. $4k USD.

Buying the biggest fuckoff chain I can find and a claymore mine to go with it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

I've finally gotten over the heartbreak of my DRZ being stolen in 2015 and may be buying a WR250X this weekend.

2008, 1k miles, fender eliminator and hand guards but otherwise stock. $4k USD.

Buying the biggest fuckoff chain I can find and a claymore mine to go with it.

Always use a cover.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I'm shopping covers, chains, and disc locks. What's the conventional wisdom on disc locks re:Alarms? Is it going to go off all the time and annoy my neighbors? I have a tree out front I'm intending to chain it to.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

Yeah. I'm shopping covers, chains, and disc locks. What's the conventional wisdom on disc locks re:Alarms? Is it going to go off all the time and annoy my neighbors? I have a tree out front I'm intending to chain it to.

In my mind, there are two kinds of thieves. The serious ones and the theft of opportunity. They'll deter the latter (but so will a cover). The former (hi NYC) will come and poke your bike a couple times and see if you do anything when the alarm goes off. If you don't, then they'll just steal it. If you come running, then they poke it until you stop coming running. Then they steal it.

Anyway, can't hurt. If it goes off all the time, take it off.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I don't know if this is common in the USA, but here in Norway insurance companies have a list of approved bike locks which, depending on the insurance scheme, may lower the premium. Such lists can be helpful when shopping around for locks. There is a lot of difference between different bike locks when it comes to resistance to various attacks. Someone has probably researched the good ones already for lock models available in your country, try to find out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure that exists in the us, maybe only in major metro areas. Straight up “van pulls up bike is gone” thefts are much rarer here than in the UK and other countries, simply because bikes are not primary transportation here like they are in other parts of the world.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Please give us a sumo

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2019-honda-crf450l/

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Well I finally broke another spoke on my 400SM, and my rear is worn to cords so it's parked until its fixed. Never re-laced an SM wheel before, is this something I can accomplish in my garage or is there some specific tools and equipment to do it properly?

Found the stock part # for the rear spokes, Unless someone knows of a better aftermarket spoke kid.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/65320-29F30

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just watch a few videos on YouTube and budget a bunch of time. A HF wheel balancing stand, or setting the chain off to the side, a nice spike wrench, and setting a reference item (zip tie!) to visually see runout on the rear wheel is all you need.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Ah right on, thanks Z3n. I can probably handle that. The ziptie on the swingarm for runout is a great idea

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A gaggle of goons went to a supermoto thing north of Seattle.

Evergreen Raceway hosted a practice day last Friday, so me, Grizzled Melkaba and Gullous headed out there in lovely Friday traffic.

It was $35 for open practice with pauses every half hour or so so they could transition between the full track and asphalt only.

Gullous was clearing the longer double(30 ft?) along with a half dozen other people, and I finally started trying it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBCuJFws3is

Earlier in the day my ambition outweighed my talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_hLKDQXqI

Sliders took all the damage, I didn't even touch plastics. However, I did split the palm of my glove and rub a hole in the elbow of my leathers, and hosed my shoulder up pretty good. Thankfully the injury didn't effect my riding at all, so I still got nearly 2 hours of seat time in a 4 hour session. Best $35 I've spent in a while.

(I cropped a bunch of photos, but they're all taken by Koji, fyi)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The best dollar to fun ratio I've had on a motorcycle for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlduI7EtTqM

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hey anybody have a need for a front brake adapter bracket for a DRZ400S? I somehow wound up with an extra. Let’s you use 320mm discs up front. I can’t vouch for the quality, was an eBay find, but it’s free!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'd take it. I can pay you shipping if you want. Just shoot me a PM.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The best dollar to fun ratio I've had on a motorcycle for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlduI7EtTqM

$35 for that experience? That's amazingly good.

The track school in Houston has been increasing prices pretty steadily. Now a track day is $175.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I found out we can rent an entire kart track out in tri-cities for $350, as long as it's a weekday. Tri City Kart Club hosts most of Cascadia Supermoto's races as well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

The track school in Houston has been increasing prices pretty steadily. Now a track day is $175.

Excuse me, what?

Also, I really want to get into those Texas MiniGP races.

And get a sumo again.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

I found out we can rent an entire kart track out in tri-cities for $350, as long as it's a weekday. Tri City Kart Club hosts most of Cascadia Supermoto's races as well.

Who wants to buy my 701 so I can get a real supermoto?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got rid of my DRZ a while ago and I don't know what supermoto to follow it up with. Not a whole lot of 690's on craigslist these days. There are a decent amount of cheap WR450F's on Seattle Craiglist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Another DRZ. Everyone does it

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
As much as I enjoy sisyphean efforts I don't think I want to build another DRZ motor. (Also I already did a cursory search of local craigslist for 400E's) There's some reasonably priced 690 Enduros I guess.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Yerok posted:

I got rid of my DRZ a while ago and I don't know what supermoto to follow it up with. Not a whole lot of 690's on craigslist these days. There are a decent amount of cheap WR450F's on Seattle Craiglist.

I'm gonna sell my 690 soon, it's crazy how much sellers are asking for (Seattle as well). I saw a '15 in BC at 9k (with extra gear), even first gens are in the 5-6k territory.

690 was great as an only bike, but if I had to do it over again I'd prefer to sacrifice highway comfort for weight etc; WR450 or 450/500 EXC.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gullous posted:

I'm gonna sell my 690 soon, it's crazy how much sellers are asking for (Seattle as well). I saw a '15 in BC at 9k (with extra gear), even first gens are in the 5-6k territory.

690 was great as an only bike, but if I had to do it over again I'd prefer to sacrifice highway comfort for weight etc; WR450 or 450/500 EXC.

If you’re not racing or riding single track, 500 exc. I bet you could get a decent used ‘13-16 for 5-6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Yerok posted:

Maybe 701s are starting to pop up for sale.

• Locked thread