Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

That's a funny definition of stock.
I wish my definition of stock matched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I figured $4500 for a 2007 with that much work done seemed like a good deal and there isn't too much I will have to add other than tires and a brake kit to get it where I want it.

Z3n posted:

Now the flip/evil side of it is that that's almost KTM/Husky money. And you'll spend a fair bit more getting a DRZ to handle like a KTM. But they definitely have an appeal all their own.

Does it have a brake kit?
That's one of the reasons I pretty much stopped considering the WR250X, its a fun bike but for 5k I can get a nice used KTM/Husky that will be a lot better for track duty. Aren't too many of those selling around here surprisingly.

No brake upgrades that I am aware of. I need to adjust the rear because it has a lot of travel before anything happens but the front feel pretty good. I would like to look at options for the front whether it is just better pads or something else.

You guys were right on just hanging off the seat. I am pretty comfortable with the bike now...went out to find food and spent a half hour in stoplight traffic. Isn't bad once you get a feel for it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FYI, Avon Distanzia's are not lovely tires by any means. Every DRZ should run them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

FYI, Avon Distanzia's are not lovely tires by any means. Every DRZ should run them.

Didn't mean the tires are junk...just this pair. They were take-offs from the shop and are full of flat spots, some cupping and other fun stuff. I think she mentioned she has another set at the shop she can get mounted if I want.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys have me pretty convinced I want a DRZ, just sayin'

Whenever I'm driving around at night and I go over potholes and random dips in LA's lovely roads I just think about how awful that might be on anything else.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a normal DRZ400 and a DRZ400SM? Aside from cosmetics, tires, and suspension.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abigserve posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a normal DRZ400 and a DRZ400SM? Aside from cosmetics, tires, and suspension.
I'm going to assume you're asking about the S, not the E or kicker, since those are both off-road only (although they can be made street legal in some states).

They're geared differently (S is geared more for off-road, SM is geared for more street) and have different brakes.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Who out there has taken an off road bike with no street legal counterpart and was able to plate it and everything? Pretty much sold on the stupid idea of getting a CR500 to chase down quids on.

Edit: I'm in nebraska and I beleive the only things to make it road legal is Headlight, tailight and possibly a horn. Though I don't really know the proper methods to get it plated aside from going to the dmv and telling them its road legal now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think all you do is take it to the police station and get them to certify it as street legal(DOT-legal headlight, brake light, plate light & bracket, turn signals if required), then once that's done you go to the DMV and get plates for it. The Nebraska DMV website should have more info. The only other issue is that it's a 2-stroke, So unless you bring the stuff to pre-mix with, you're kinda limited to one tank of gas per ride.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I usually wear a backpack or some other method for carryin poo poo so premix wouldn't bother me too much

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

An entire Sunday afternoon spending riding sumo is hard to beat. Rooftops, 3ft deep puddles, train tracks, loading docks, cement factories, mud trails, state parks, huge parking lots and puddles that were more like river crossings all made this a great evening.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

An entire Sunday afternoon spending riding sumo is hard to beat. Rooftops, 3ft deep puddles, train tracks, loading docks, cement factories, mud trails, state parks, huge parking lots and puddles that were more like river crossings all made this a great evening.

Don't forget cutting through warehouses. Exploring industrial districts is the best.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

rooftops?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I just spent over $2200 US on Supermoto bits for my old beat up DRZ400E.

MRD SSW Full exhaust system
Acerbis black plastic kit
Edge smoke LED tail light & Smoke blinkers
Trailtech X2 headlight black
Clarke 4.7G black tank
05' RM250 USD forks & triple clamps
Trailtech Vapor computer
Stainless steel brake line
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with 320MM front brake
13t, 16t front sprockets for Dirt & road riding, along with 44T rear sprocket.
Uni filter kit

Next up when the motor needs a rebuild, its goin for a big bore stroker kit.

I'm going to document this, as it is the bike looks absolutely beat up and scratched. After this im hoping it will look good.
But i wont go as far as painting the engine & frame... yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mattfl posted:

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

Thats my problem too. I miss my DRZ pretty bad, but it'll be hard to convince the wife to let me get another.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mattfl posted:

Don't test ride one if you haven't already. Then you won't have a choice but to get one. My "friends" insisted I test ride a DRZ and now I'm buying one.

An update on my DRZ situation. My room mate with the DRZ for sale was having it sold by the dealership she used to work at, this was the DRZ I had been riding last week and she dropped back off at the shop Friday morning. My other room mate has an 2001 Ducati Supersport 900 he wants to get rid of, I rode this down to the dealership Friday about an hour after they dropped off the DRZ.

We had hoped that I would be able to trade in the Ducati towards the purchase of the DRZ and everyone would be happy. Not to surprisingly the dealership doesn't do trade ins for bikes they don't own. So now it looks like she will go back and pick up the DRZ at some point and I'll just buy it directly from her. We still need to find a buyer for the Ducati.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 30, 2009

bung
Dec 14, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tell her that the insurance is a lot cheaper.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Seconding the "Rooftops?". Tacoma has a huge industial district, I think I would have a blast playing urban motocross on a sunday. I wanna trade the monster for a sumo now.

Edit: god dammit! Why did i youtube drz400sm?! :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 1, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
This might be a dumb question, but is the Supermotard thing a pretty recent phenomenon? I can't seem to find many bikes for sale much older then a couple years.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tsaven Nava posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is the Supermotard thing a pretty recent phenomenon? I can't seem to find many bikes for sale much older then a couple years.

I think in certain areas it's caught on more than in others. There's like 5 drz's for sale within 250 or so miles of me here in florida, at least according to cycletrader and craigslist.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bung posted:

Tell her that the insurance is a lot cheaper.

That, and my monthly bike payment would be a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tsaven Nava posted:

It technically started in the late 70's/early 80's with Superbikers. It didnt really hit national consciousness till the early 2000's though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I hate that Husky and KTM SM bikes are almost always as much, if not negligibly more expensive than DRZ's here in Seattle. Why must you temp me with instant unreliable death, craigslist!? WHY?!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mcqueen posted:

I hate that Husky and KTM SM bikes are almost always as much, if not negligibly more expensive than DRZ's here in Seattle. Why must you temp me with instant unreliable death, craigslist!? WHY?!

You really do get what you pay for though, as a house with a DRZ, Husky and a KTM, it's not hard to see how the KTM and Husky justify the extra cost once you ride one. DRZ is awesome, but a DRZ vs a Husky 450 SMR is a Miata vs Elise.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Spiffness posted:

You really do get what you pay for though, as a house with a DRZ, Husky and a KTM, it's not hard to see how the KTM and Husky justify the extra cost once you ride one. DRZ is awesome, but a DRZ vs a Husky 450 SMR is a Miata vs Elise.

I think he was saying that the prices for used ones are close to the price of a DRZ however the ownership costs are much higher. Also they are less reliable and will probably kill anyone riding them.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

cmorrow001 posted:

will probably kill anyone riding them.

Still worth it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

mattfl posted:

I think in certain areas it's caught on more than in others. There's like 5 drz's for sale within 250 or so miles of me here in florida, at least according to cycletrader and craigslist.

Well it's more that at least around me and on E-bay/CL, there don't seem to be any supermotos and older then 2007 or so. And for me to have a HOPE in hell of affording one, it's got to be at least ten years old.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well it's more that at least around me and on E-bay/CL, there don't seem to be any supermotos and older then 2007 or so. And for me to have a HOPE in hell of affording one, it's got to be at least ten years old.

Ya, the ones for sale around me are between 3-5k which is about what I'd pay for a newer one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Eh, the build quality isnt (or wasnt as of 05/06) there on the KTM yet. My old roomate had a 650 SMC, and while it was faster, it had a lot of downsides to it, and his cost of ownership was most certainly higher, both in out of pocket costs, and time costs.

Not that its a bad bike, its just not "turnkey for at least the next 10 years" like the DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Not that its a bad bike, its just not "turnkey for at least the next 10 years" like the DRZ.

While this is true of the 04/05 segment, the newer 690 engines (or 450 if your a track slut) have given people very little trouble. There are some scattered reports of stalling issues, the few people who have it can usually tune it out.

Of course a DRZ is going to be a 'pass down to my grandkids' kind of bike, but on the flip side, your grand dad was around when the DRZ was introduced... and the only thing that's changed since then is paint colors.

If maintenance scares you off, you might do well with something simpler. Or maybe you're buying a supermoto for your 2nd bike and delegate all 'I'm commuting' to another bike, so a little teeth rattling, oil burning, completely impractical machine is just what you need.

As it stands right now, DRZ's sort of fill the wide basic spectrum of SM buying. Everyone can have a good time on one and just about anyone can justify putting one in the garage. Unfortunately, since Suzuki is really the only Japanese manufacture to nut up to supermoto for the last 10 years, the DRZ is the only bike that's out there cheap as hell for everybody. The 250 Yamaha is putting out is a good bike, but it's not popular yet, and you don't see them up for sale ever.

Fact of the matter is, if you want more than the DRZ can give you, you're going to have to take that maintenance hit and reliability risk, or buy new/almost new.

It's a scale of risk/reward though. The more you're willing to sacrifice and spend the more bike you get. From a KLR with street tires on one end to a Husky 450 RR race ready SM on the other.

Also I'd argue that once you take a SM bike out on a kart track with a dirt section, you'll start telling yourself whatever you need to to justify the more impractical bikes.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I don't think anyone is arguing that it's not a faster more capable machine but the DRZ with some mods is pretty good. Plus I love that I never have to worry about issues, it just works.

The DRZ is more than I'd ever need . (Although, I'm sure I'll be moving to something more death oriented in the next year or two)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Zool posted:

Not to mention the license plate.

I got a ticket when I was riding down in Florida because my license plate rattled itself off and I didn't know it :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was surprised how not terrible it looked with the plate zip-tied on.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://stores.ebay.com/MOTOSAVEdotCOM-1-866-930-6686_Supermoto-Tires_W0QQ_fsubZ1179562012QQ_sidZ6070982QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

No affiliation, just a Christmas shopping tip.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
What are the odds on the DRZ getting an update in the next two years?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

1 in something.

No rumors out there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I finally caved and took the short cut into the neighborhood after checking out ever sidewalk and ramp on the way home. Up the sidewalk for about 50 feet then across a small field, jump the curb down and back onto the road. So much for not acting like a dumb rear end on the bike.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 10, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

samglover posted:

What are the odds on the DRZ getting an update in the next two years?

No changes for 2010, and none being imported to the U.S.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles.aspx?year=2010

2011 will see either the canceling of the DR-Z, or an update to fuel injection. (The current DRZ does not meet emissions standards for 2010.)

Suzuki has a lot of momentum with the DR brand that they won't want to go to waste, I think we'll see a completely new DR-Z (probably based on the RMZ) a year from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Good to know. I want one badly, but I would hate to buy right before it gets improved.

• Locked thread