Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
There's a local guy selling an XR400R. This guy is known for putting together awesome bikes, so there's no doubt it's a good one.

Tell me I shouldn't buy this.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I'll be doing my taxes tonight and contemplating the baller xr just a bit more before pulling the trigger. The guy called me and we chatted about the bike.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
So I'm picking up that baller rear end XR next week.... Best replacement for my SV!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ha, I'm actually looking at getting an SV or similar to compliment my DRZ for those highway stints.

I have a equally baller '97 FZR600R for "highway stints". It's not exactly comfortable, but I would say it makes me more of a man each time I put miles down in the three figures.

Sooooooooo I have a confession to make. A nearly new KLX250 just popped back up on MotoHouston for $2500 and I want it too. It has literally less than 1000 miles on it. This is a banging deal for anyone near the Houston area. If I hadn't been in constant communication with the awesome seller of this XR, I would just hop on this bandwagon and be done with it.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277640

Anybody here looking for a KLX? I'd be willing to help someone pick it up, or even hold it for them.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
FYI I picked up that XR. Holy poo poo it's fun.

I got pulled over literally 30 seconds after getting on the bike for a test ride. The cop was a total rear end in a top hat even though I have an immaculate record. Threatened to tow the bike for no insurance on a test ride with the owner across the drat Street. He also claimed he could "hear me" going 55 under the overpass. His ear KNEW. I was in 2nd gear and I wasn't even getting on it. If he had approached the situation purely from a "hey xylo your bike is super loud" it wouldn't have been a big deal because I agree that pipe is way too loud...

Ended up with a speeding warning and a loud beik warning.

I tried taking it to work and I couldn't get the thing to start yesterday morning. Might have fouled the plug. Any hints on Kickstarting a pumper carb 400? This bike is going to make me a man. Haha

Tldr supermoto lyfe

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Push it through it's stroke until you hit compression and it wants to stop, get it just barely past that, and then give it a smooth, quick shove through. You don't want to stab at it, you want to really carry through, the more inertia and momentum you get kick starting it, the better it compresses the fuel and starts.

Also if it's a total rear end in a top hat to start, the carbs are probably mildly clogged.

It was warmer this afternoon and it started no complaints at all on the third kick. I took the previous owners advice (move the lever all the way down slowly then bring up, pause just before compression and kick). The key this time was to put my body into it and not try to just use my leg.

Rode it around quite a bit. The handling is nuts! All I need are some levers for my tiny hands and I should be golden. Now to find some used motocross gear.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

I rode a 990 R - great bike, just not a supermoto, more of a long travel standard.

Don't wear motocross gear on a sumo, wear full leathers. A motocross helmet is ok but asphalt hurts if you fall on it on a sumo or a sportbike and you'll do a lot more dumb poo poo on the sumo.

The motocross gear is for when I take it off road. Dirt bike wheels!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I picked up a 2008 with ~3700 miles with a FMF powerbomb/Q4, FMF fuel programmer and brand new tires for 3k. 5k is stupid.

Not the same bike but... I really want to get rid of this FMF Titanium 4 ASAP and I read that the Q4 is a good replacement. How loud is it? The quieter the better in my book. Is the airflow enough difference that I would have to rejet?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Q is decently quiet. If you have an fcr you will have to rejet, if you have the tick carb you might be able to get away with a few cranks on the fuel screw, but you probably should rejet for that as well.

Also, are we taking full system or slipon only?

It has a Mikuni pumper carb. To be honest, I don't know how to tell if the system is full or slipon. I would guess it's a slipon.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Yerok posted:

That describes what's going on for me, exactly. The initial bite isn't as hard as the OEM pads but after that they feel good. I dropped a clip on the needle yesterday and holy poo poo did it make a difference. Now I need to re-time the accelerator pump that I hosed with because I thought it was causing my part throttle issues.

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure my bike is slightly rich all across the throttle range. I'm going to start with the needle clip and go from there. Pumper carb here too. Did you aim the pump output?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Hey guys some of us don't ride DRZ's.

What's a good place to find recommended tire pressures? I'm curious what I should run these ContiAttack SM's on my XR400R.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

No, they're referring the B with that spec. 32 foot pounds is way too much for a handle bar pinch bolt.

You can run them anywhere from 22 to 32, depending on what you like best. Sumos are really forgiving on tire pressures. I usually ran around 28-30.

I'm going to bump it to 28. I've been running 25 and it feels great, but I feel like I'm going to wear these bad boys out too quickly.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
This is probably the wrong thread but my XR400R has suddenly lost compression. I rode it at the track a few weeks back and it was running great. I will up to start it a couple weeks later and there's no / little compression in the kickstarter. :(

So far I've checked the valves and replaced the plug. Everything looked fine (intakes were loose, exhausts were basically OK).

My next check will be to check timing. Never removed a valve cover on an engine with rockers. Anything I should watch out for? The previous owner said it has a stage 3 hotcam so I'll look for that while I'm in there. I'll also pop in a Harbor Freight inspection camera thing through the spark plug hole to see if I can see anything.

I was just about to order some levers for it too!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
That's a sexy rear end DRZ!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Yesterday was the best day of my life. The motard runs once again.

That is all.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Welp, the tard just quit on my commute to work. No pressure in the kick starter with no decompression lever... I think, perhaps, it needs new valves (keep having to adjust lash for it to make compression).

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Any of you guys ever see one of these? Thought it was funny to see show up at my local dealer.

2006 Honda XR400M - "Japanese Domestic Market XR400 Supermoto"

I have a xr400r converted to supermoto. The power is great (top speed is around 85 mph), but it doesn't really like being revved high for long periods of time. Less than a year into ownership and mine probably needs valve work or new rings. It stopped running on my way to work a few weeks back.

EDIT: FYI mine has a pumper carb and stage 3 hotcam installed, so the power is a little different than stock.

It's number two on my priorities right now. Behind an RX7 FD basket-case, which will hopefully be as far away from my garage as possible within the next few weeks!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

drat that is pretty. I love those rims.

This makes me want a 701 even more; for some reason I really love the Husky Swedish color scheme.

The 701 can't come soon enough!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Anybody know when/if the Husqy 701 is ever going to actually go on sale (in the US or anywhere else for that matter)? I swear if I lay eyes on one of those things in a showroom it will not be good on my wallet. I'll gladly be the SA guinea pig, though!

I actually called the closest Husqy dealer to me. Only 2.5 hours away... I'm in Houston TX.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Yeah, the dealer talked about the enduro which is the exact same bike fitted with knobbies and different wheels. He said he has no idea when they'll start actually coming in and I would be the first pre-order of the 701 SM.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

I don't know how much of that stuff was known, but I was happy to discover that they will be using tubeless wheels.

Nice. Haven't seen the updated website yet. Tubeless wheels huge plus. I had to get a new tube in a pinch. Shop charged me 160 to install it...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Husky finally made it official: the 701sm is coming to the states next February!

My birthday is in February. This is a sign! :swoon:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
First guy on the list for the 701 at the husqy dealer in Austin! Weeeeee!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
No idea what it costs.

I assume you people can ride in February.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
My guess is 11 ish out the door.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Only time I got pulled over on the xr400 tard was the day I bought it for the stupidly loud fmf titanium slip on. Cop threatened to impound the bike due to no insurance and suggested that next time I test ride, I just go get on I10 rather than ride around his little town.

I ride like an old man on the streets.

Well, like an old man who occasionally wants to go "fast". I'll be alright on the hooligan machine.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Funny this topic came up, I've considered flying out to CA for the supermoto school. Call it a vacation and have fun. I wonder if anybody rents drz's or ktms out there so I could ride around for 3 or 4 days afterward. Would be loving awesome! Wouldn't be feasible to ship my bike but all SMs ride relatively the same...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Another promo video was posted for the 701.

https://youtu.be/tGh_OHlpg3Q

:swoon:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

kylej posted:

I'd put a deposit down on one of these but I just know the MSRP will be a little more than I'm willing to spend. Hopefully it ends up around ~$10k but I'm sure it'll be more like $13-14k. For that money, you could buy both a 690 SMC and DRZ, and a bunch of mods for them.

14k out the door would be really hard to swallow. Still expecting 11k. If it turns out to be that much, I'll hold out for a used 690SMC.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

So these exist in the states? I've been beginning to think that we only got the duke, because I haven't been able to find a 690 smc on the used market yet. Esp ebay motors and craigslist.

Super duper rare, but I've seen one on CL a few hundred miles away.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

Oh wow that's a relief. I was starting to think they were unobtainable like the CBR250RR (the cool i4 one).

250rr was never sold in the states, though it was sold in Canada. Just found an 08 690 SMC for 4,800 with 6,xxx miles on it in Corpus Christi.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
That bike looks rad as gently caress.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
February can't come soon enough. I live in loving supermoto heaven. Old rail yard area, roads too destroyed for your normal car (my Volvo bottomed out horribly crossing the tracks and my car is about 3/4 inch lower than stock). My other bike is still in the suburbs. I need to just ride it home and deal with it in my little garage...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Oh god, are you in 5th ward or something?

Nope. South side of I-10 at Heights Blvd. Road infrastructure in terrible shape, but that's typical for Houston proper. It will allow for proper hooning, though!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Ride it! Let it warm up, do some pulls, see if you feel hesitation anywhere in the Rev range.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Got another call from the Husqy dealer in Austin telling me to "call them around the first of the year to secure my spot in line." It sounds like there is about 10 people who want the bike including myself and they can't make a line because they're retarded.

We'll see what happens. I'll probably call once a day starting Jan 1 to see if I can get on the list. If I can't, I may look for a used 690SMC.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 17, 2015

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Hey Xylopagus, have you heard any updates on the 701? The two dealers closest to me are still saying they know nothing about it.

I need to call the dealer up, but last I checked they "might have one bike in February." In other news, I will no longer be able to throw 10 heavy at a bike come February. I may upgrade my FZR, but my budget will be less than 5k. : (

On the bright side, a buddy has a salvage title hypermotard I may be able to check out in a couple weeks. Fits the new budget. ;)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

GriszledMelkaba posted:

looks like local places are selling the 701sm for $11,299+taxes,title,etc. I can't bring myself to spend 5 figures on a sumo

I too waffled at the price...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol if anyone thought it might be reasonably priced

Full disclosure, I expected the price and was more than willing to pay it. Then I helped my gf replace her car. She paid $13k out the door for a '13 civic with no issues. Couldn't convince myself to drop the coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The best dollar to fun ratio I've had on a motorcycle for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlduI7EtTqM

$35 for that experience? That's amazingly good.

The track school in Houston has been increasing prices pretty steadily. Now a track day is $175.

• Locked thread