Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This thread has fallen too far off the front page...

Today I decided I was going to go look at some Motards because I guess I don't like having a license. The local yama/kawi shop was having a demo day so I lucked out. Rode a new Yamaha WR250X and really enjoyed it. The demo route was slow and I was put in the back of the group but it was still fun. Very light and flickable, suspension was great and the front brakes are amazing. Not a ton of power but it feels pretty well balanced and I enjoyed revving the hell out of it. There were two things I didn't like about it. First the seat was hard as hell which I expected, would replace this if I picked one up I think. And second was the seat height...I'm too drat short. It was set at about half way on the seat adjustment and I wasn't comfortable on it at all when stopped. The one in the showroom was set lower and felt a lot better to me.

After that I headed over to the Suzuki dealership to look at a DRZ400SM. And found out again that I am too drat short. I swung a leg over but it was between bikes and I didn't feel like knocking over a row of bikes so I didn't stand it up. Looks like a friend picked one up so I may go sit on his.

So what options are there for lowering these bikes a bit without killing the handling and ground clearance? Or should I just buy a milk crate to tote around and quit being a pussy? I'm 5'6 with a 28-29" inseam.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

As for sliding off the side thats what I did and it will just take some getting used to. I ended up resting my thigh on the seat and just hanging off the side at any stops.

Looks like I should be test riding a DRZ sometime this week then will have to decide if I want a really light and tossable 250 or the heavier but more powerful DRZ.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was hanging off the left side and just stayed in gear for any long lights we ran into. This also lets me rest my toes on the rear brake. But thinking about it is the wrong side because them I am hosed for starting from neutral and starting the bike up.

cmorrow001 thanks for the link I'll read through that.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 24, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

New room mate is bringing over her 07 DRZ that she wants to sell tonight for me to ride. It has a lot of work done to it from when she worked at a Suzuki dealer...lowered, 39mm flatside carb, 440 big bore, high comp piston, different crank, full titanium exhaust, all yellow plastics, shaved seat and a few other things I can't list off the top of my head. Looking forward to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Dubs posted:

Depending on the crank, that's gonna have like 70% more hp over stock. Assuming there are cams in there somewhere.
Pretty sure cams were on the list, I can't wait to go home and see it.

Phat_Albert posted:

Holy poo poo, thats REALLY worked over. It ought to be seriously powerful.
I think she basically went through the catalog and ordered everthing. The only thing she didn't do that she wanted was put a kick start on it. They usually kept the bike in the showroom so all the labor to install and setup was free. It should be a pretty fun bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies. With the shaved seat and lowered suspension I can sit on it pretty comfortable. Roommate thought it had a 440 kit but wasn't sure. Rode around the neighborhood a bit, a couple main roads, up the curb in front of the house and across the lawn, what a fun bike.

Riding it to work tomorrow even though if I buy it I doubt I would commute on it very often. Will see what she wants for it when I get home most likely.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rode it to work today and it actually wasn't too bad for commuting. Even took the interstate home, thing easily hits 90 and has a fair amount in reserve. After work I traded my textile suit and laptop for my leathers and headed for the twisties. I didn't actually intend on going to the dragon but like every other time I go out I ended up there. The bike really shines there, plenty of power and even on the lovely tires (Avon Distanzia) there was a lot of grip to play with.

I haven't talked to her about price yet but my roommate mentioned that she had talked to him about selling it for $4500, it around 15k miles. I'm not sure if she is flexible on the price or if that is even what she will ask but what are your thoughts on the price if it was $4500?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I figured $4500 for a 2007 with that much work done seemed like a good deal and there isn't too much I will have to add other than tires and a brake kit to get it where I want it.

Z3n posted:

Now the flip/evil side of it is that that's almost KTM/Husky money. And you'll spend a fair bit more getting a DRZ to handle like a KTM. But they definitely have an appeal all their own.

Does it have a brake kit?
That's one of the reasons I pretty much stopped considering the WR250X, its a fun bike but for 5k I can get a nice used KTM/Husky that will be a lot better for track duty. Aren't too many of those selling around here surprisingly.

No brake upgrades that I am aware of. I need to adjust the rear because it has a lot of travel before anything happens but the front feel pretty good. I would like to look at options for the front whether it is just better pads or something else.

You guys were right on just hanging off the seat. I am pretty comfortable with the bike now...went out to find food and spent a half hour in stoplight traffic. Isn't bad once you get a feel for it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

FYI, Avon Distanzia's are not lovely tires by any means. Every DRZ should run them.

Didn't mean the tires are junk...just this pair. They were take-offs from the shop and are full of flat spots, some cupping and other fun stuff. I think she mentioned she has another set at the shop she can get mounted if I want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mattfl posted:

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!
Don't test ride one if you haven't already. Then you won't have a choice but to get one. My "friends" insisted I test ride a DRZ and now I'm buying one.

An update on my DRZ situation. My room mate with the DRZ for sale was having it sold by the dealership she used to work at, this was the DRZ I had been riding last week and she dropped back off at the shop Friday morning. My other room mate has an 2001 Ducati Supersport 900 he wants to get rid of, I rode this down to the dealership Friday about an hour after they dropped off the DRZ.

We had hoped that I would be able to trade in the Ducati towards the purchase of the DRZ and everyone would be happy. Not to surprisingly the dealership doesn't do trade ins for bikes they don't own. So now it looks like she will go back and pick up the DRZ at some point and I'll just buy it directly from her. We still need to find a buyer for the Ducati.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 30, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I finally caved and took the short cut into the neighborhood after checking out ever sidewalk and ramp on the way home. Up the sidewalk for about 50 feet then across a small field, jump the curb down and back onto the road. So much for not acting like a dumb rear end on the bike.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 10, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rode the DRZ down the the BMW dealership to pick up some parts for the E21 today. Turns out the parts guy used to ride one, is now riding a WR450 he converted. And its for sale $2800, he said it is converted and has some work done to it but no specifics. So if anyone in the Knoxville area wants a WR450 motard or knows someone that does let me know and I'll try to get you some info. I would be tempted if I didn't just pick up the DRZ.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

:argh: Why are you all the way across the country.
There is a chance I could get it shipped out there for very cheap if we have a site close to wherever you are. PM me if your interested.

On a side note I've been trying to figure out which car/truck comes closest to being the SM of the car world. Something horribly fun, near indestructible, great in the twisties, inexpensive etc. I'm almost thinking miata at this point but am open to suggestions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Zool posted:

Baja truck on slicks.

That could be a winner. Same concept as a supermoto too. Start with a off road machine and throw slicks on it...wonder if you could street register one of those.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Add me to the list of people that have lost plates on Motards... Put about 70 miles on the DRZ yesterday to/from work and doing some last minute stuff before heading up north today. Went to go rearrange the garage this morning so my bikes would be out of the way while I was out of town and noticed the DRZ lost it's plate. So far I am 2 for 2 on bikes getting rid of their plates...drat

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Krakkles posted:

This is how I've kept my plate from coming off my DR:

Of course, it seems to have led to this problem:

Overall, I'm ok with it. The zipties keep the wing nuts from loosening - they haven't even moved since I've had the bike, and I've been riding it for over a year.

That seems like a pretty good way to do it. One problem though...the bolts/nuts are still there. The plate itself broke.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wondering if anyone has put dirt tires on their DRZ400SM and taken it on some trails. I would like to get back into dirt bikes and am debating spending a few hundred on dirt wheels/tires/brakes for the DRZ or just picking up an old KDX. I would think there would be plenty of people selling their dirt wheels that are converting to SM.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks, I was thinking it would be pretty drat heavy for a woods bike as well. Will start looking for mid 90's two smoke to play with.

Also the speed humps they put in neighborhoods down here are way too much fun on a motard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

You mean the wheelie indicators? :haw:

Yeah thats it, pulled a really nice one off one of them. Lady going the other way waved then pulled a u-turn and chased me down. I thought she was pissed...turns out she just wanted to let me know I didn't have a plate :argh: I acted surprised and thanked her for letting me know.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 16, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

jdonz posted:

gently caress you for making me want to spend more money on the KTM. I had my heart set on the DRZ mostly because of the price.

In all seriousness, I'll be keeping my SV and buying the supermoto as a second bike. Realistically, I'd commute on the SV and play on the supermoto but I'm pretty sure want to take it to work as well. I have a 25ish mile commute and 23 of those miles are on the freeway. Sounds like a bigger KTM would be better than a DRZ.

I did pretty much the same thing. SV for commuting and long trips, DRZ for playing. Have rode the DRZ to work a few times and while it isn't too bad it really is a better play bike than a commuter.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm 5'6" with a 28-29 inch inseam. It took me a while to get comfortable on taller bikes but now it is no problem. Roads with some slope near lights can be a bit of a bitch.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

Just ride the balance point like it's a trials bike.

I am getting better at this, can usually hold it for 5-10 seconds now. Looking forward to sitting at a light with no feet :smug:

Endless Mike posted:

Not exactly related, but I'm 6'1", and I can bend my knees on the DRZ once I actually sit down. It squats quite a bit.

I had the SV/DRZ combo until the SV was wrecked. I haven't commuted to work on the DRZ, but it's like 95% city, so I imagine it'll be more enjoyable than the SV was. I'm still trying to figure out what to replace the SV and my wants are all over the place.

If my commute wasn't 25 miles of highway or interstate I would DD the DRZ. For anything in town I take the DRZ over the SV.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

yummycheese posted:

The idea of lower miles excites me too. From what I under stand these 400cc motors are really giving it all when there going down the freeway at 70mph. 7000 miles of that might be a bit much for a bike like this.

My DRZ has 16k miles on it. The previous owner used it for commuting, 35 miles each way on the highway and interstate. Even if those 7000 miles were all interstate it should be fine as long as proper maintenance was done.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

Avon Distanzia
Hard wearing, grippy and surprisingly capable off the tarmac, it's a fairly popular choice on both ends of the bike or combined with the PXR on the front (this seems to be an immensely popular combo here in Britain).

Running Distanzia's front and rear on my DRZ and am really happy with them. Good enough grip to drag pegs on the road without too much trouble and somewhat capable off road.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

In the ongoing trend of things rattling off the DRZ the positive battery terminal seems shot. Riding home yesterday about 2 miles from the house the display starts turning off and on repeatedly. Get home and pull the side panel, both terminals are tight but the positive is moving around a lot. Can't pull it out/off but by pushing on it I can turn the display off and on. Will pull the battery tonight and see if it is something that can be tightened or fixed otherwise it looks like the DRZ is getting a new battery.

drat thumpers

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ordered tires for the DRZ this morning...Pilot Powers. Not the best tires out there but they are cheap and should offer a hell of a lot more grip than the worn out Distanzias I've got on it now. Plus I really doubt tires will be the limiting factor for me in the next year, will be nice being able to trust my tires though.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The stock seat isn't horrible but after a few hundred miles you will be riding side saddle. I've got the stock seat with a bunch of foam removed and I've done a few 500 mile days, not comfortable but it can be done.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

A DRZ hasn't really been loved until it's been 12 o'clocked.

I came very very close last night jumping speed bumps, got a little carried away on the throttle and up it went.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I am the second owner of my DRZ, I have never crashed it. I know of at least 5 people that have though. A few of them were caught on camera, mostly low sides because the PO never put decent tires on it. Never broke anything

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Anyone have any experience with the WR250x, especially as compared to a DRZ? Right now I'm looking at a very well maintained '06 DRZ with 7k miles for $3400, and a '08 WR250x with 4k miles from a dealer for $4000.

The whole modern fuel injected thing is tempting me, but is it really worth the extra money considering the lower displacement?

Read this - http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=52362

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

After the SV fell in the driveway today I decided to take the DRZ instead of digging around for a spare clutch lever. Sadly today included ~175 miles of interstate to pass the pig.

The bike did fine going 80mph for most of the trip and despite the gusty wind it was as stable as I could ask for. Me on the other hand...gently caress won't be doing that again soon. Feet/hands/butt were numb or sore for the whole ride.

Also the DRZ continues to help me track prep it by ditching unnecessary stuff. Today it was the license plate (2nd one) and a bolt holding on some body work.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

After my DRZ shed its first plate I said gently caress it and zip-tied the new one on.

The plate was held on by two screw on the top as well as zip ties top and bottom. Problem isn't the plate actually falling off...they are breaking in half

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I took the DRZ to Talladega GP yesterday...so much fun. I stuck to riding it like a sport bike instead of like a dirt bike, now kind of wish I would have tried both. Didn't attempt sliding or any of that fancy stuff either.

Once I figured out my lines I was closing on people very quickly...sadly couldn't pass in corners which meant I got to work on carrying speed through the corner so I could pass on corner exit.

Also apparently a DRZ with flatsides and a full scorpion exhaust is really drat loud at high RPM. I was told by a few people that I had the loudest bike on the track and that it sounded great.

Nothing like passing 600/750/1000cc sport bikes on a dirt bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A KTM 525 EXC with dirt/sumo setup just showed up on craigslist locally and I'm really tempted to pick it up as a replacement for the DRZ and the KDX. Tell me I'm stupid and won't be happy with it so I don't go buy another bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gotta say for the DRZ being a low powered, heavy Supermoto it sure is a lot of fun. How many bikes can ride to work on Friday take to the track Monday...

Then go play in the dirt the next weekend...

all without changing anything? All I had to do was hook the lights back up and remove the tape. Sure it doesn't have that much power and it is heavy for a dirtbike but it sure is fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What kind of range is everyone getting on their DRZ's? I usually try to fill up by 100 miles but have pushed it to 120 a couple times and 135 once.

Then today I ran out of gas and coasted into the gas station at 113 miles. Just glad I was close enough to a gas station and on top of a hill.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Jabs posted:

or 6 grand on a DRZ400SM, instead.

Better yet spend 2-4 grand on a DRZ and be happy

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Jabs posted:

Requires full purchase price up front. The guy at Colorado Powersports that stuck around with me when I broke the Victory Hammer (Love that name!) recognized me when I came in to buy tubes for the SR250, and he's keeping an eye out for a used SM under $3000 for me.

So save up a bit longer or take out a personal loan. As long as you are not a complete dumbass and are halfway capable of wrenching on a bike I see no reason to buy new.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well the previous owner of my DRZ wants to buy it back...I'm kind of tempted so I can buy something less practical.

So if I wanted something that could be found used for under 5k what would CA recommend? It won't see commuting, I've got the SV for that. It won't see much off road other than mild gravel roads, I've got the KDX for that. It WILL see a lot of time at the gap/dragon, track days and an occasional ride to work (25 miles backroads).

Right now I am thinking KTM, Husky or maybe if I'm feeling really stupid Aprilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks for the info on sumos that will help me loose my licence more quickly. Going to see what pops up in the area and anything else within reasonable fly-n-ride distance.

Last weekend I took the Cornerspin riding class, today I went on a group ride and instead of doing the usual hang off like riding a sport bike I rode the DRZ like we rode the little 100cc's at Cornerspin. Sitting far forward on the seat, elbows up. Going into a left hand corner you rotate around the tank to the right sitting on top of the bike, left arm straight right elbow way up in the air. Obviously not as low but it looks like:

Felt weird at first but after a few roads it actually felt a lot better. But now I'm not sure how the hell I am supposed to be riding this thing. Looks like I'm headed to barber next month so I should pry figure it out before then.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 30, 2010

• Locked thread