Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It looks like I may be selling the DRZ when I finally get back to Tennessee to cover medical bills for the last two drat months. This is good and bad. There is a CRF450R motard a friend of mine is selling for pretty cheap.

How are the CRF converted bikes? Not going to be a commuter or anything but a play bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm listing my 07 DRZ400SM for sale locally and am trying to figure out what a reasonable price to ask for it is. Pilot Powers with about 2k on them, fairly extensive engine work, ~18k miles I think, pretty clean overall. I was thinking of tossing it up for $4k on facebook and $4.5k on craigslist and seeing if I got any bites. Is that too much or does it seem reasonable for a well maintained bike with some work?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont know what the bike market is like in Knoxville, but in Milwaukee 4.5K is too high for that bike, 4K is more reasonable. How much of a hurry are you in to sell it? You could always post it at 4.5 and see if anyone bites, its worth a shot if you're not in a hurry.

Around here anyway 3.5-4 seems to be the sweet spot for DRZSM's.

What defines "extensive engine work"? If that bikes got something really crazy going on, maybe you could swing 4.5 then.

Not in a huge hurry...pry have at least another month of recovery before I will even be able to ride.

Engine work is cams, piston, shims, valves, flat sides, exhaust, crank. All the good bolt on's but no big bore or anything like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QR-juufCg

A supermoto caught in the rare moments of it's evolution before the wheels are reduced in size and the brakes expand.

Knobbies do offer excellent grip on stairs, curbs and other obstacles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Clank posted:

how good of a deal is this?
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-Suzuki-DR-Z-400-SM-W0QQAdIdZ233014929

keep in mind that bikes are not cheap around here (seriously, look at some of the others.) and theres never any sumos for sale.

Fly down to Tennessee and I'll sell you mine for 3500. Sure by the time you ride it all the way home it will have vibrated apart but thats half the fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the DRZ out for a spin today, fun as usual. Got home and Dad (in town for a couple days) is standing outside waiting his turn. Somehow my helmet, gloves and textile fit him so he suits up and heads out...across the lawn. Came back a half hour later laughing his rear end off. He has been introduced to the dark side.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

soy posted:

(I want a drz400sm)

I think this might be a dumb question.

Just get the DRZ, you'll enjoy the hell out of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the DRZ out for a ride on New Years eve. Hit some back roads then messed around in town a bit. It really is the best bike I have found for getting around town, especially if your in a hurry.

drat thing likes to drain it's battery though if it isn't ridden enough. Almost didn't have enough juice to start this time. Guess that means I just need to ride it more.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If cmorrow doesn't take the kick start I will, that is one thing I wish the previous owner would have installed.

The battery is about 9 months old, it just has been sitting for a while. I was out of state for 6 months sick and I think it only got ridden twice during that time. Hopefully the battery isn't hosed from sitting so long and getting discharged. I'll see if I have an extra set of battery tender plugs laying around and just keep a tender on it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've done header wrap on cars before and it seemed to work well, would think it might be a good cheap solution to the melting boots problem.
Wrap it properly (pre-soak the wrap), paint it with some high temp paint if desired and see how it goes. Should look pretty cool too.

Weather was nice today and after giving my roommate poo poo for the SXV450 sitting in the living room because he is too afraid it is going to blow up we fired it up. I took it for a short spin around the neighborhood...holy poo poo. Between the super touchy throttle, low weight and loads of torque that is a wild bike. I avoid doing wheelies on the street except on this thing I did a drat wheelie giving it a bit of gas coming out of a corner. If there was a motard track within two hours (the gap doesn't count) I would own one of those.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 12, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrZig posted:

Seriously considering it. I could start dd-ing right loving now, too. And insurance would be ridiculously cheap. gently caress. I want it.

Edit: Could use it as my track bike too. HMMM.

Just buy it already, you obviously want to and that is one hell of a DRZ.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Local guy has had a 2005 CRF450R that has been given the SM treatment for sale for about 6 months with no bites. Quick search showed they are about 220 pounds dry and 55hp vs ~300 pounds and <40hp of my DRZ. I may go take it for a test ride this weekend.

Only thing that worries me is maintenance schedule...this is for dirt riding.

quote:

Oil changes and a clean air filter are an absolute must. People will debate, but the general consensus seems to be about 5 hours for an oil change, and your air filter depends on the riding conditions, anywhere from every ride to rarely. As far as 30 hours on the valves go, you can go much, much longer if you do your maintenance and keep it off the rev limiter

Would it even be worth thinking about as a track/gap toy and very occasional commuter with a schedule like that?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Think I need to sit down and figure out what I want out of a motard. I've got the SV for commuting/trips, KDX for dirt, YSR125 for track/gap so the motard right now is just kind of a spare bike that mainly sees track days and the gap...

Really just need to decide if I want something that stupid for the street and if I can live with the service intervals. Might be better off with a bike made just slightly more for the street SXV 450/550 or Husky 450/510.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Prices on DRZ's seem to be all over the place, especially the SM's. Keep in mind that usually in the spring prices on motorcycle is slightly higher but still 5k for a used DRZ is pretty bad.

On a semi-related note if I can make up my mind as to what I want a supermoto for and what kind of maintenance I can deal with I'm in Knoxville and would pry be looking to sell my 07 for 4k or less.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I intended to work on wheelies last weekend on the CRF50 but the drat thing wouldn't run worth a poo poo. If I can't get this thing figured out the DRZ or the KDX will have to work for learning.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I may be going to look at the 2005 CRF450R SM I mentioned a few pages back. Got a list of goodies on it yesterday.

Full craig litz ama supermoto suspension, Behr race wheels with talon hubs, Applied triples and pro taper bars, Oversized wave rotor on kawasaki 636 master cylinder, Stator. Headlights taillights brake lights and battery, Acherbis All black body work, Safari 4.5 gallon gas tank, Vaypor speedo and 520 chain conversion.

Sadly it doesn't come with any of the stock parts or dirt wheels/tires but that isn't a huge deal. All the stock stuff was sold off to fund the build. Bike only has 7 hours on it and hasn't been started in a year which kind of worries me. I'll need to put a new tire on the rear because the 180 got chewed up by the chain.

Should be a fun gap toy. Anyone interested in a 2007 DRZ400SM, located in Knoxville TN.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 2, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I watched Synonamess Botch ride away with my old DRZ a few hours ago. Brave man riding a DRZ ~4 hours on the interstate to get home on a chilly day. Once feeling returns to his extremities I'm sure he and his wife will enjoy the bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Got an email from a friend looking to sell a DRZ400SM. Figured I would post it in here in case anyone was interested, bike is located in Knoxville.

"Alright it's a 2006 Suzuki DRZ SM 400 with 440 Big Boar Kit, has new Michelin Pilot tires, 17" Takasago Excel rims, it has LED tail light and LED side marker lights, blue head light, Zeta hand guards, truck horn, K&N air filter, new battery, FMF titanium header and pipe"

Asking $4200 obo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

How much meat can I get off the big boar?

I considered fixing that but felt it was better left alone.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

After a lot of debate I went and picked up the '05 CRF450R motard today. Changed all the fluids, get to change the oil again tomorrow because I reused a crush washer and its leaking. Then I messed around with tires for way too long. Finally got around to firing up the bike and it started right up then promptly shut it off when I noticed the header pipe glowing and called it a night.

Turns out that is completely normal...yes the header is supposed to glow, thats how you know it is warmed up and ready to go. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow after I replace those crush washers. Have a feeling it should scare the poo poo out of me pretty good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I think I'll throw up a couple pics of the CRF and the YSR125 in the post your bike thread. Need to toss the battery on a charger, start draining the oil and head to advance to pick up some crush washers. Really looking forward to riding this thing.

Just got back from a test ride of the bike. I rode my roommates poor neglected never ridden SXV450 a month ago so I'm going to compare it to that and my old DRZ. The SXV's power comes on much more abruptly and seems either all or nothing, the CRF just pulls hard everywhere. Suspension and brakes are amazing on the CRF, will lift the rear wheel with one finger on the brake no problem. I was able to keep the front wheel on the ground the whole ride except for one little crest that I gassed it on in third...front came right up. Kick start only is a little inconvenient but for what I'm using this for (gap/track) it isn't bad and kicks over easy despite me being scrawny. I'm not sure what it tops out at but I hit 105 very very quick and it was still pulling.

Overall I am impressed. Good smooth power, very capable suspension and brakes. Best part is if I blow it up unlike an Aprilia or Husky I can go to any honda shop or bike bandit and have parts in a week or less.

Pics being uploaded now.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 13, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Zool posted:

Your roommate is clearly very depressed and you need to get him help before he kills himself.
He is just too afraid of it blowing up despite it having all the warranty work or whatever done. He bought it in October I think and has put on less than 100 miles. Poor bike just sits in the living room all the time. If parts weren't such a pain in the rear end to get and he was more reasonable on his pricing I pry would have bought it then rode the poo poo out of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

This is insane. Does he have that much cash to throw around that he can waste thousands on something he will have used for a couple hours? I got my motard in October and so far have put 5500 on it, in the winter in the Norheast.

Thats the best part...he is broke, he is always broke. I guess he got a small inheritance, quit his job, moved to knoxville (following a girl who wants nothing to do with him), bought SXV/TV/PS3/fifty/ysr/etc. Now he is selling everything off, the SXV is the only thing that hasn't sold yet.

He is afraid to ride it because he knows if it blows up he is hosed. If he would have actually ridden the thing I would have bought it instead of the CRF.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

Two SXV's then!
One solution my room mate (not the one with the neglected SXV) is to put full coverage on it then when the motor blows up go "crash" at the gap and launch it off a cliff. They might get suspicious after the third or fourth one though but it should be enough to get you through the summer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gom Jabbar posted:

Any opinions on the Gaerne Super Motard Boots?
Not the supermoto boots but I've got a set of Gaerne MX boots and I love them. I have beat the poo poo out of them on rocks, trees, car doors and everything else and they are holding up just fine. Not sure what the main differences are between the SM and MX boots but I picked mine up lightly used for $25 and couldn't be happier.

On the topic of backing it in...is clutch needed on the downshifts or can you just kick it down 2-3 gears without using the clutch? I never really use the clutch on the CRF except starting and stopping. Want to figure out backing it in as well as wheelies/stoppies this summer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

You don't usually just kick it down a few gears unless you're going slow or have a slipper. You use the clutch because it allows you to control when you're sliding and when you're keeping the wheels in line.
Ah ok that makes sense, now I know enough to be dangerous to myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If you have another bike for commuting, trips and stuff then pick up the 510 as a toy for windy roads and track days. If the 510 would be your only bike and you plan on using it to commute...well hope you like wrenching.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

How tall are you guys? I'm 5'7" and it's tippy toes or one flat foot while squishing nuts on the tank with my bike now. Never ridden a dirt bike bigger than an 80 two stroke so I'm not used to the height. Do they sink a lot with weight on them or is it just something to get used to?

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam...I have more trouble with sport bikes than motards. Tards squat under weight a fair amount and they are so light you can just lean them way the hell over. Takes a while to get used to but once you are it is great.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Every time I ride the CRF I come home with the same stupid grin on my face...what a bike. I don't even like wheelies/stoppies but on this thing I can't help myself.

Think I'm fixing the truck this week so I can take the CRF to the gap and see how it does on a road practically built for motards.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well motards have officially hosed my sport/standard riding. Took the SV up to the gap today for a pass and just couldn't get comfortable. I used to be able to carry decent (not fast) speed through there, today I was in first or the bottom of 2nd the whole time. My lines were good and I know the road but I just couldn't get comfortable on the SV there despite putting 28k miles on the drat thing in the last 1.5 years.

Think I'm bringing the CRF up there tomorrow if I don't go kayaking.

Other than that a beautiful day on the hill and the SV felt wonderful flying across foothills parkway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

robotsinmyhead posted:

but it's really tall for me (I'm 5'8" / 155lb and had trouble getting a leg over in shorts, let alone riding pants)

Once you get used to the DRZ height it isn't bad, especially since is squats down a couple inches as soon as you sit on it. I'm 5'6" and didn't have any trouble once I rode it for a while.

Get the DRZ, you don't want a 250 motard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

I know, that's what I'm sayin'. I even told him that in email correspondance haha. Something along the lines of "if it way any other bike I'd immediately cease communication, but since it's a DRZ you're up a notch in my book.

I keep excitedly talking to my dad about the potential DRZ, he keeps telling me about how all them "dual sports" did everything but nothing well and were slow on the highway and the "dirt bike motors wear faster".

He's like a record on repeat that restarts every time I say "It's not a dirtbike." For the love of god the old man rode in the 70s until he picked it up again a few years back.

"Newer motor than the ones you ran dad, street suspension, smaller wheels, street tires, strong front brake, street gearing"

He pops in: You can't really ride on the highway tho, I mean you can but your pinned.

"I don't ride on the highway."

I don't know what to do with him, haha. He seems gutted I'm trading bikes but all his reasons are wrong or reasons /he/ wouldn't want one.

They'll be one in the drive soon enough if all goes well regardless, and I think he'll turn around when he realizes it's not a loving '78 dual sport.

My goal is to get the old man to wheelie. All of us should try for it.

My Dad was the same way until I made him ride the DRZ. He came back into the driveway in a wheelie and said I was right.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Is this as good of a deal as it appears to be?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2486059939.html

Sure once I settle for a CRF a 690 pops up. Just go buy it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ohwandernearer posted:

I guess I could just give up on running signals entirely.

That is what I did on my DRZ after it rattled off the third set. Not even going to have the controls or run the wires on the CRF.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

quote:

690 chat

drat you guys, I'm going to have to track down a 690 and ride it now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Noticed today after taking a longer ride on the CRF that my leg was burning. Has anyone wrapped their exhaust or put extra heat shields on? This was through Sidi race boots and leathers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Or just buy a pipe guard that attaches with normal, easy to install clamps like every other pipe guard?

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_34/products_id/1170

Thats not a bad idea...not sure if it's worth $90 though. I'll start looking around for a pipe guard.

edit: and looking around 90-100 is what they are all going for.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 15, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gom Jabbar posted:

What boots are you all wearing while doing supermoto stuff?

If I'm loving around a pair of beat-up Gaerne motocross boots. If I'm riding hard or in the mountains Sidi Vortice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

The difference between riding a ninja 250 vs a supersport 1000, really. One you can shamelessly abuse without a care to the consequences, the other is going to be doing all kinds of crazy poo poo if you try to abuse it.

Same thing I ran into going from the DRZ to the CRF. It's only 50cc but they are radically different bikes. The DRZ I could go WOT anytime and really ride the poo poo out of it. The CRF demands a lot more respect on all the controls.

I wouldn't say the DRZ was more fun, it was just a different way of riding it. That being said I can't wait to get the CRF on the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pete posted:

Now I just need to buy a GoPro to film the hooliganism..

Not sure what your feelings or preferance are but the ContourHD is now selling for $140, about $100 cheaper than the GoPro. I picked one up but haven't had time to test it yet.

• Locked thread