Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've borrowed a friends WR250 a few times and was pretty happy with it. Power isn't anything like the CRF I'm coming from but then maintenance and constant worrying won't be either. I should just start bugging my friend to sell me his, I know he isn't riding it for the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've been supermoto shopping again, something about the recent tiny amount of snow we got made me want one badly. I'm waiting for one guy to get back to me on "title issues' for a 2008 WR250X (primarily what I've been looking for) but there's been a 2007 Husqvarna SM610 listed for a month or more I'm thinking of going over and taking a look at, have also looked at a few DRZ's but they seem to be horribly overpriced or horribly modified.

I think I remember someone in here having a SM610, anything worth noting beyond what's in the ADV SM610 megathread?
edit:Found Safety Dance's SM610 helpful posts, might go take a look at it just to see how it is to ride.

Further edit: So SM610 vs WR250X for commuting (backroad and highways <60mph) and occasional mountain riding.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 4, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I rode a few supermoto's and even some sport bikes today in weather ranging from 55 and sunny to 33 with sleet, one is now in my garage. I'll do a post somewhere tomorrow but now I'm cold and tired so I'm going to bed. The good news is I'm back on a motard :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I was planning on taking today off to test ride a bunch of bikes and celebrate my birthday but the weather is going to be poo poo so I crammed it in yesterday starting around 10am. Hooked the trailer up to the VW, filled up the tank with diesel, grabbed a big stack of 100's and headed to the stripclub do some test rides. My overall goal was to find something fun to commute on that I could also take to the track if I felt like it, do some light off-road and trail riding as well as head to the switchbacks. The sport bikes were ridden because I felt like it and was considering a street fighter. I ended up putting 560 miles on the VW in total and even managed 45mpg...diesel supremacy.

• First bike 2013 Honda CR230L (stock) - guy at work was selling. It was to put it simply boring and disappointing but he offered to bring it in and let me try it out. WTF was Honda thinking? Really hope the CR250F is better.
  • 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (stock) - good all around bike but not worth what he was asking. The DRZ will also be a good basic bulletproof supermoto but a stock one is kind of a let down, it was a nice reminder of my old one.
  • 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (stock, scratched to poo poo) - what a machine. Love the engine, the suspension/brakes are plenty for street use and my slow rear end on the track.
  • 2011 Yamaha WR250X (stock) - for a stock bike it's pretty decent but not quite what I was looking for. A bit lacking in power but it's a 250 that will run forever. The brakes are really good and the suspension is great for a scrawny poo poo like me.
  • 2010 Suzuki GSXR750 (salvage title, WTF gearing, slip-on) - geared absolutely retarded and just wanted to wheelie which was perfect for street fighter. I made the guy an offer but wouldn't budge on his price.
  • 2007 Husquavarna SM610 (FCR41, gutted muffler) - so loud, so angry, so fun. What a bike, everything about it was fun and the power is addicting even after having a 450-race SM for a while. Of the things I rode this is the first that I really wanted to put on my trailer and bring home.
  • 2008 Yamaha WR250X (FMF exhaust, Powercomander) - this is what a WR250X should feel like. I test rode this in sleet in a busy parking lot and spent the whole time sliding around and attempting to not crash. Throttle is touchy in the poo poo weather I was riding it in. Couldn't really hammer on the front brake but I did slide a LONG way with the rear locked which apparently scared the poo poo out of the kid selling it.

In the end I bought the 2008 WR250X and will be riding it into work today. The SM610 was very very tempting and I was asking myself why the hell I was driving hours to go look at the WR after riding it but in the end I wanted a fun to ride bike that I really didn't have to worry about at all, could get parts fast/cheap and had a large after market. Will I regret not getting the SM610? Maybe but worst case at the price I was able to get this WR I could sell it in a month or two, pick up a SM610 and come out ahead. If the SM610 would have been fuel injected don't start a FI vs carb rant and had a properly done exhaust I likely would have picked it instead.

So 2008 WR250X (<4k miles) with FMF powerbomb/Q4 full exhaust, power commander, stealth-ish tail lights and some nice hand guards with built in blinkers is my new commuter. Now to sell off some of the other bikes.

Z3n posted:

It can't be a KTM, I have the only one left in this hemisphere.
I'll be on the lookout for a 690 but the last one that popped up within 5 hours was 11k and that's not going to happen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Uhh, this describes my bike exactly except for the mileage. Let me know if you like your fuel mapping, and if you do could you pull the file from your power commander? When I got mine the map file notes said it was for a completely different exhaust and header. I was able to find one for a similar set up which increased my fuel mileage and made the file response feel better, but I don't know if it's the best it could be.
It feels pretty good from the ride in but I couldn't play with it too much (cold, rainy, traffic). Once I get a better feel for it I'll see about messing with it, I have no idea how power commander works at this point but I'll figure it out.

Safety Dance posted:

If you decide to go the SM610 route, look for an 08+. Those were fuel injected. Most of the mouthbreathers on SupermotoJunkie, thumpertalk, etc, are talking about the carbureted SM610, though, so you have to learn to mentally separate one from the other.
Yeah in this case FI was a big selling point for me and what I would be looking for. SMJ...yeah kind of like ADV, a lot of idiots with a few really knowledgeable people for good measure. Though the sound of the FCR 41 at WOT is pretty awesome just wish it wasn't covered by POS exhaust hack.

NitroSpazzz posted:

In the end I bought the 2008 WR250X and will be riding it into work today.
It was fun but also cold, wet and filled with traffic. Then as I got to the badge check station it killed on me a few times, need to see if my heated gear is drawing too much but it's more likely the bike hasn't been ridden much at all. Then stop sign before turning into the parking lot the little cover that sits above the headlight fell off :wtc: I may have to look into a silencer insert, Q4 is loud.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kloa posted:

I ordered the Q4 because it was supposed to be the quieter of the two :ohdear:
It isn't that bad, I just try to keep my toys quiet because I leave for work most mornings by 7am. I also like to ride like an idiot and the quieter your bike is the better.

Played on the WR a bunch this weekend and did a bunch of maintenance. I've already put more miles on it than the previous owner did (130) and the little idle issue has cleared up. I need to look at adjusting the suspension because it feels like the rear is wallowing if I get on the gas hard coming out of a corner, though I need roads that aren't covered in sand/gravel/salt/junk to be sure it's that and not the tire spinning.

Fun bike and the relative lack of power is handy with my hands made of ham, moves along very good for a 250cc though. drat I missed having a motard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

hot sauce posted:

What kind of lame only puts 130 miles on a bike?! Especially a supermoto

Bought it as a first bike, never got license and his parents wouldn't let him leave the neighborhood. Poor bike, messing around in the neighborhood can provide hours and hours of entertainment.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tennessee is nice right now for another couple days (60+) so I've been riding the hell out of the WR. What a stupid fun little bike. Got stuck in traffic the other day so split for a while at the lights then took a shortcut across a field and a construction site, supermoto supremacy :hfive:

To make things better the cute receptionist at the insurance place thought the bike looked fun and I think I've convinced her to take the MSF. I'll likely be taking it a third time with her.

Today heading to a local dual-sport/ADV shop to see if I can find a tiny tankbag with a clear pocket.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ha, I'm actually looking at getting an SV or similar to compliment my DRZ for those highway stints.

I'm considering keeping my SV650 just for longer highway and interstate duty. WR is fine on highways but I wouldn't want to do more than a short stint on the interstate.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Those with the WR250X, how far off is your speedometer? I have a feeling mine is reading 12-15 higher than actual speed and haven't played with a GPS yet but today following traffic through a usually slow 55 zone it was reading 70+.

Now I really wonder what speed I was going when the cop was behind me the other day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll add another vote for 2ct's or other street tire. I had Distanzias on my DRZ years ago and while fine for trails/yard/hardpack they are junk in mud or sand...the same can be said for the 2CT or most general purpose street tire.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Infinotize posted:

What should a barely used, late model WR250x go for? I found such an example but the guy wants almost 5k for it. I found a well modded 08 with 15k for $3k but I was too slow on my offer, the ad was up less than a day. I am tempted to hold out until another shows up for 3k but they don't seem to pop up too often.

I picked up a 2008 with ~3700 miles with a FMF powerbomb/Q4, FMF fuel programmer and brand new tires for 3k. 5k is stupid.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the WR out again yesterday and donged around. Found some new gravel roads to play on closer to the house with some single track type trails going off. Asked a dual sport friend and he said they are open to anything with a road legal tag, horses, bicycles and hikers. So new play area but have to take it a little easy and be respectful of others. Also found a industrial park that is completely empty other than security on weekends, talked to the head of security who was there for some other stuff and he showed me areas where I couldn't ride then said have fun and gave me his number in case anyone gives me a hard time. This is going to be a good summer.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Not the same bike but... I really want to get rid of this FMF Titanium 4 ASAP and I read that the Q4 is a good replacement. How loud is it? The quieter the better in my book. Is the airflow enough difference that I would have to rejet?
It's not too bad at all unless you're really on it. A little droning at highway speeds but nothing terrible at all. I originally planned on picking up a silencer insert but after talking with a few neighbors and riding it I'm not going to bother.

PreserveByNeglect posted:

I fear I already know the answer to this, but would a WR250X/R be a terrible first bike choice? Or should I really put a year or two into a more typical 'starter bike'?
I'm late to the party but it is the perfect starter bike. Easy to ride, cheap to crash/drop, light weight, fun as hell. I started on a SV650 then picked up a DRZ and immediatly wished I would have started on a motard. The WR250 or a DRZ400 are about as ideal you can get for a starter bike other than maybe them being a bit expensive worth it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Fixed the WR250 (bad plug, see questions thread) then promptly took it out to play in the rain and low sided on some gravel+wet poo poo. Me and bike are fine because it's a motard. Pissed at myself for not making time to fix it Monday night.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

Sumo goons, if you are in the central Midwest and have been looking for a 690smc, look no further.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=49#post431871571

If you were too lazy to click here's the skinny. 2009 690smc with 5550mi. I'm the second owner. Newish tires, tons of spares/upgrades will be included (most of which is not installed). Also have a giant loop moto coyote saddlebag we can discuss.

Asking $6500. Located in central IA.

Buy my bike so I'm not tempted to pull my for sale ads!

drat you, I'm in Europe for another two weeks and bought a WR250X shortly before I left but I want your 690. If it's still around when I get back I'll probably get in touch with you...only question is fly-n-ride or drive and trailer it back to TN.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Baller Witness Bro posted:

On the DRZ's though there was no doubt and I have no shame. I really enjoyed all the corner workers at the track freaking the gently caress out over the radios as the only supermoto on the track that "some guy's out here riding like he's on a motocross course he's going to hurt himself!". It just feels so right to go leg out.

I like the change it up depending on the corner to really gently caress with people. Generally higher speed stuff I'm hanging off and tighter stuff I push the bike down. Last track day it was largely because I got sick of dragging the poo poo out of my toes in tight corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Coydog posted:

OUTLAW COUNTRY!

I cannot even begin to describe what a revelation all this is, or even fully grasp it myself. Somehow the sumo reality is better than the sumo fantasy. :aaaaa:

:hfive: Good to see the bike getting used properly

• Locked thread